Helmetvisor With Uv-Filter

alocacoc

I bought an INDEX brand helmet, call Titan Itech it has a clear and polarized lens 890baht

Polarized lens is small like a pair of glasses that can be pulled down to use or tucked up.

Clear shield can also adjust.

Not sure what you are asking. The major helmet manufacturers offer plenty of helmets come with tinted visors that are UV rated or have the option to swap out the clear visors for tinted. I found a really nice helmet by Real the other day that was modular (full face opened upwards) plus had a tinted visor that could be lowered and raised via an external switch. (EDIT: just as Bpraim posted about while I was typing)

If you are concerned the visors are not UV rated, some opticians have machines that test the UV rating of glasses. You can have it tested.

Edited by NomadJoe

That sounds interesting Bpraim1. Where did you bought this helmet?

The other problem, it is not easy to find a helmet which really fit my head. So it would be nice, if could only replace the existing visor from my cheap "Index Honda Click Helmet".

The major helmet manufacturers offer plenty of helmets come with tinted visors that are UV rated

When you look for sunglasses, you see the UV rate sign. But not on the visors. So, i guess, there is no UV filter in it. But, it's good idea with the opticians.

If you're concerned enough about your health to worry about the visor filter then for god's sake don't skimp on the part protecting your skull.

The cheap helmets here aren't worth shit for that, need to get a first-world certified rating, at least 10x the cost.

Then look at replacing the visor. . .

• Like 1

If you're concerned enough about your health to worry about the visor filter then for god's sake don't skimp on the part protecting your skull.

The cheap helmets here aren't worth shit for that, need to get a first-world certified rating, at least 10x the cost.

Then look at replacing the visor. . .

Just because a helmet has a rating does not necessarily make it better at protecting your skull. That is a myth. It does add to the cost significantly though. Local brands like Real, Index, Avex, Bilmola, LS2, Rider etc in the 2000B to 6000B range are great helmets and are tested to Thai standards. I love the fact that I can take my beautiful 2700B limited edition Real full face helmet to the states and ride with it. (does have DOT cert) It looks better than the 400-600USD Shoie or Arai's and will give the same protection for a fraction of the cost. The 199B helmets may help somewhat in very low speed impacts but are really just to keep from getting ticketed by the BIB.

Just doing some more Googling around and found some more info about UV ratings and helmets.

- Optician quote: Polycarbonate is naturally 100% UVA and UVB protective. Clear or tinted, if your visor is polycarbonate you are good.

- HJC website: Optically Superior PinLock® Faceshield Provides 95% U.V. Protection

- Shoei Website: The CW-1 shield protects SHOEI riders from 99% of the sun's damaging UVA and UVB rays.

- There is a thread at sportbikes forum. Relevent exerpts:

"I believe that all helmet shields (even clear) do a decent job of blocking UV rays. It's a characteristic of polycarbonate. I've looked into this for Shoei shields, but never Arai."

"The people at the glasses store told me that all motorcycle shields block enough UV that the transitions lenses wouldn't work."

"All auto glass and helmet shields block enough UV for transitions lenses not to work unless you stick your head out the window or ride with your shield up."

"Crap, there was an article about this very subject I read a couple years ago. And now I can't remember where I found it. <bang head> The gist was that some shields don't do squat for blocking UV, while others are quite good at it."

"all polycarbonate blocks a lot of UV. this includes shields, safety glasses, and all other non-shatter plastics. not all shields have to be this though fyi"

So it would seem that if it's polycarbonate and not acrylic your good. It's reasonable to assume that not all Thai helmets are going to have polycarbonate lenses.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 2

I visited the Motorcycle shop at Pattaya Tai. They have plenty of helmets. On the Index Helmets is to read that the visor is Polycarbonate. The only helmet which fit my head comfortable was a Space Crown. But no information about the used material. A quite cheap 950 Baht helmet.

I just open http://www.spacecrownhelmet.com/ for get more informations. But i guess, the website is hacked....

Edited by alocacoc

I visited the Motorcycle shop at Pattaya Tai. They have plenty of helmets. On the Index Helmets is to read that the visor is Polycarbonate. The only helmet which fit my head comfortable was a Space Crown. But no information about the used material. A quite cheap 950 Baht helmet.

I just open http://www.spacecrownhelmet.com/ for get more informations. But i guess, the website is hacked....

what do you think how good can be a helmet for 950 bht?

what do you think how good can be a helmet for 950 bht?

Leaving the 199B Tesco helmets out of the discussion for the moment, the idea that the more expensive the helmet the safer the helmet is a myth. I have an 800B "Dragon 2 SuperModel Motorcycle" helmet by Avex. On the tag it says "Shell is constructed of high impact ABS plastic" and "Standard TIS 369-2539." A look at that standard shows quite a detailed testing process which includes heat tests, impact tests, puncture tests, (DOT tests do not have this) and crush tests with very specific and detailed testing paramiters. Unofficial translation of TIS 369-2539: http://app.tisi.go.t...tis369_2539.pdf

My 800B Avex helmet is high impact ABS shell with expanded polystyrene (EPS) core and a nylon lining. Your 20,000B Arai helmet is made of high Impact ABS plastic shell with EPS core and nylon lining. The higher price of a helmet is largely due to the cost of the SNELL and DOT tests, and the cost of making the helmet lighter and more comfortable,and add a bit on for the name.

It would probably surprise most that in order to get a DOT rating, the helmet is tested at an impact speed of 20kph!

It would also probably surprise most that the big name expensive helmets like Shoei and Arai are actually not street legal here because they have not passed the TIS standard. There have been reports of these helmets being seized by police when displayed in helmet shops. I read that only Shark helmets have been tested to all..TIS, Snell, DOT and CE. Maybe Sylvian, the distributor, who is a member here can add details.

http://www.motorcycl...?showtopic=2409

The primary purpose of a helmet is to spread the deceleration of the brain over a greater amount of time during an impact. 800B helmets can do this just as well as 20,000B helmets. It is far more important to have one that is a properly fitting. Any improvements over that are incremental. Also, cheaper helmets are more likely to be replaced in a timely manner than expensive ones which are often stretched out to last past their useful service life .... the foam does degrade over time and with exposure to heat and body oils.

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzkxLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8bUGhvdG8wMzkwLmpwZw.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

BTW, all helmet shields are made of 100% polycarbonate. All poly materials filter 100% UVA and UVB. This is not a coating or additive. It is inherent in the material. It also doesn't matter if it is clear or any other color or if any other coating is added to it or not. Also, it never wears off. In contrast, all other plastics the UV filter is a liquid bath that the lens is exposed to for several minutes. It will always wear out eventually, although it can be retreated, but this also strips off most of any other tint on the lens and they would need to be re-tinted. So if you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses that claim 100% UV filter, that is at the time of manufacture, and by the time you buy it, it actually may be under 90% and then over the course of a year, the effectiveness can drop below 50%. The really cheap ones are worse, because the UV filter is a coating on the front surface of the lens, and wears out even faster. Glass lenses that are UV treated will last for many years.

I used to be a licensed optician in another life in the US.

• Like 1

^ interesting info. From personal experience I don't think it's 100% but it must be pretty close.

I could feel the sun on my face in the evening of a day of riding the mountains around Nan recently, first time this happened. That's why I don't think it's 100%. But I know what walking around at high altitude in full sunlight in Thailand would do to my skin if there was no UV blocking - I'd look like a lobster. My face says it's about 95% UV block.

BTW, all helmet shields are made of 100% polycarbonate. All poly materials filter 100% UVA and UVB. This is not a coating or additive. It is inherent in the material. It also doesn't matter if it is clear or any other color or if any other coating is added to it or not. Also, it never wears off. In contrast, all other plastics the UV filter is a liquid bath that the lens is exposed to for several minutes. It will always wear out eventually, although it can be retreated, but this also strips off most of any other tint on the lens and they would need to be re-tinted. So if you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses that claim 100% UV filter, that is at the time of manufacture, and by the time you buy it, it actually may be under 90% and then over the course of a year, the effectiveness can drop below 50%. The really cheap ones are worse, because the UV filter is a coating on the front surface of the lens, and wears out even faster. Glass lenses that are UV treated will last for many years.

Aren't some mask shields also made of acrylic?

^ interesting info. From personal experience I don't think it's 100% but it must be pretty close.

I could feel the sun on my face in the evening of a day of riding the mountains around Nan recently, first time this happened. That's why I don't think it's 100%. But I know what walking around at high altitude in full sunlight in Thailand would do to my skin if there was no UV blocking - I'd look like a lobster. My face says it's about 95% UV block.

The heat you feel isn't all UV, there are also infrared and other wavelengths that come through that cause heat.

Aren't some mask shields also made of acrylic?

Acrylic doesn't impart the same impact resistance of poly. Poly is the material used for all applications where impact resistance is needed, with glass being an exception. Bullet proof "glass" is actually made of poly most of the time.

Any other material on a face shield or safety application is not as safe.

• 4 months later...

I have been unable to find a replacement face shield for my helmet purchased at Honda w/my motorcycle, but all shields I've seen are polycarbonate and have 100% UV protection.

Edited by lmaxv

• 3 months later...

My helmet shield is only a couple months old and is scratched and scuffed a lot, even though I have taken care of it. Are there big differences in quality, for different helmets? Is there a good polishing compound that can get the marks off, ? Or is it, just go out and buy a new one?

My helmet shield is only a couple months old and is scratched and scuffed a lot, even though I have taken care of it. Are there big differences in quality, for different helmets? Is there a good polishing compound that can get the marks off, ? Or is it, just go out and buy a new one?

just by a new shield they are about 300 baht.

dont get one thats too dark or else you have trouble seeing at night.

I bought an INDEX brand helmet, call Titan Itech it has a clear and polarized lens 890baht

Polarized lens is small like a pair of glasses that can be pulled down to use or tucked up.

aAe you sure its polarized or just tinted?

A truly polarized lens makes everything more clear and vivid. Regular tinting does not.

I have an awesome pair of true polarized sunglasses that when worn allows me to see shallow seabeds.

A truly polarized lens makes everything more clear and vivid. Regular tinting does not.

I have an awesome pair of true polarized sunglasses that when worn allows me to see shallow seabeds.

I doubt there are polarized lenses on motorcycles helmets :)

Some say its dangerous on motorcycles because you don't see wet surfaces, oil and such things on the street.

I doubt there are polarized lenses on motorcycles helmets smile.png

Some say its dangerous on motorcycles because you don't see wet surfaces, oil and such things on the street.

real polarized lenses cut glare..You can see the wetspots as dark spots, but it wont throw up any glare.

Edited by KRS1

I doubt there are polarized lenses on motorcycles helmets smile.png

real polarized lenses cut glare..You can see the wetspots as dark spots, but it wont throw up any glare.

You are right of course. You can see the wet spots somehow, but it may be harder to identify them as wet spots?

Do you use your polarized sunglasses for riding? I read they would make a weird vision through the plastic helmet visor.

Polarized sunglasses are dangerous for motorcycle riding. Icy, wet or oil patches are things you need to be able to see while riding a motorcycle. Wearing those type of lenses while riding is just dumb.

Those kinda semi mirrored/rainbow looking visors you can get on some helmets are not polarized.

You are right of course. You can see the wet spots somehow, but it may be harder to identify them as wet spots?

Do you use your polarized sunglasses for riding? I read they would make a weird vision through the plastic helmet visor.

Highly recommend wearing polarized sunglasses while riding (dont have to pull faceshield down, face is cooler too - when wearing any sunglasses) vision is much clearer and sharper with polarized view ! You can see defects (waves) in car windshields as well as faceshields. LCD displays (gauges) can also be partially blacked out. Half of the CBR 250 digital speedometer is blacked out when wearing polarized glasses. trade off is worth it though. No glare, makes it easier to pick the right line if you have eye problems.

Wetspots arent hard to identify, still looks wet.