What Is It With Paying Your Wife A Wage?

thenervoussurgeon

Its all good gents. Except for scarves...I've never really liked those as an accessory....tongue.png

Don't forget cushions and cuddly fabric animals ....... not to mention Hello Kitty!

There's always one who takes it too far eh? eh? eh?

I'm even more convinced now that you're from Kansas! biggrin.png

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The word wage is pejorative in this example, the word would be better served as an allowance, or my favourite word for it, a budget.

I'm not interested in being involved in my partners daily spend decisions on dresses, toiletries, perfume, makeup, magazines, I-phone apps, shoes, handbags, lunch with pals, blah blah blah. She's my lady and she is entitled to make decisions without redress to me, and I get particularly impressed when she saves money from the relative pittance I allocate to her.

Incidentally, I did the same for my first wife, I was working, she wasn't, she was bringing up my kids, we had a household budget, I took on responsibility for Christmas and Holiday budgets, and on top of that my ex-wife got her own budget for personal spending ( as did I ).

My ex-wife used most of it to buy even more useless toys and things for the kids, up to her. It's my wife, my partner, not my possession or slave, I need to make sure she is provided for without any argument.

It's part of the contract of marriage you know it's this bit " for richer or for poorer", it's not for " so I can control every penny you spend for the rest of your life", which is far far more common then men are prepared to admit.

So OP........answer me this question, how much money per month does your wife get without having to ask you for it??????

So does this lady of yours have a budget to tide her over while you are out of the country?

The word wage is pejorative in this example, the word would be better served as an allowance, or my favourite word for it, a budget.

I'm not interested in being involved in my partners daily spend decisions on dresses, toiletries, perfume, makeup, magazines, I-phone apps, shoes, handbags, lunch with pals, blah blah blah. She's my lady and she is entitled to make decisions without redress to me, and I get particularly impressed when she saves money from the relative pittance I allocate to her.

Incidentally, I did the same for my first wife, I was working, she wasn't, she was bringing up my kids, we had a household budget, I took on responsibility for Christmas and Holiday budgets, and on top of that my ex-wife got her own budget for personal spending ( as did I ).

My ex-wife used most of it to buy even more useless toys and things for the kids, up to her. It's my wife, my partner, not my possession or slave, I need to make sure she is provided for without any argument.

It's part of the contract of marriage you know it's this bit " for richer or for poorer", it's not for " so I can control every penny you spend for the rest of your life", which is far far more common then men are prepared to admit.

So OP........answer me this question, how much money per month does your wife get without having to ask you for it??????

So does this lady of yours have a budget to tide her over while you are out of the country?

Quite frankly, what's it got to do with you saai.gif

Well to throw my arrangements into the mix. My TGF gave up work (quite happily) to look after me when I moved here, not sure I was part of that decision, or was it late one night!

Anyway based on what I have read and my take I put her on a salary, allowance, gratuity or whatever you wish to call it. How it works is I worked out all the regular bills plus her allowance plus a family allowance of 5000baht per month. The deal is she pay all the bills, has enough to feed and clothe herself reasonably comfortably. The most important part of this arrangement is that if she does not spend the 5000B on the family then it is hers. But I do not want to hear from members of the family trying to pump the old falang well.

As I work away and have had very irregular rosters this arrangement works very well. The bit that works even better is when the family approaches her to ask me for a "loan" she informs them that they have to deal with her, end of story and I feel no pain. I do know though that she finances payments on a nephews motorcycle so he has transport to attend technical college, up to her. In fact the day for her payment to be deposited is the 27th aka tomorrow, and she is joking her salary is due. In the meantime I have shown her how to lower the cost of mobile etc, still no discount on the monthly stipend though.

Works for me pretty well, but others will have different arrangements that work as well.

Cheers

• Like 1

You don't give anything to your wife

what you both earn and have as a couple is community property,

it is not yours to give, it is shared assets.

she should not have to ask for anything

you and her as a husband and wife should discuss your finances and come to rational decisions.

• Like 2

You don't give anything to your wife

what you both earn and have as a couple is community property,

it is not yours to give, it is shared assets.

she should not have to ask for anything

you and her as a husband and wife should discuss your finances and come to rational decisions.

words of wisdom! clap2.gif

to each his own. my father-in-law did not allow his daughters to work even though it p*ssed them off. after marrying one of his daughters i never allowed my wife to work (in the sense of leaving the house, getting a job and earning a salary). surprisingly, from that time onwards she was not and is not p*ssed off because of not having a job.

on a more serious note... a wife has a fulltime job running a tight household ship. domestic employees might take over some menial work but add managerial work on her. that applies especially when the husband has a demanding job 12-14 hours a day and quite often 7 days a week and she is required to shield him from petty problems. that also applies in case the husband retires and wants to lead a quiet and comfortable retiree life in Thailand.

Both you and the fil sound like dictators. I would never put that restriction on anyone.

obviously you didn't read my whole posting mjj. looking back i am sure i couldn't have performed during my professional career (in the desert, the bush and the swamps) as i did without the Mrs assisting me indirectly by solving a lot of problems without bothering me and wasting valuable time.

today i am proud of the fulltime job she did then and i am proud of the fulltime job she is doing now. the old saying "behind every successful man there is a woman!" might not apply always. but in my case it truly applied.

I wish it was my present wife I had met 40 years ago.

Quite frankly, what's it got to do with you saai.gif

To be honest. You asked the same kind of question. smile.png

I Skype with a 30-year old cutie in CM who recently told me that if we got married she would like to quit her job (chef) and would like to receive...20k baht per month for her expenses and to support her family in KPP.

She is a lot of fun to talk to but I'm not sure about marriage and an allowance etc so I haven't committed to anything. The 20k number is clearly the consensus among her friends. I can't see myself agreeing to that arrangement and am far more likely to stay single. Its too bad because she is sweet and funny.

I mentioned this to my beloved this morning and now I wish I hadn't.

Sheis asking for 500 Baht a month! tongue.png

hardly seems worth her trip to western union.

She was joking you know.

<sigh> never mind....I'm lucky I suppose to have a gf who can support herself financially.

And long distance too...It might make some of you realise there is more to life than bar girl politics.

In any normal relationship you have give and take in all areas...but if money is a one way street there is a fair chance the constant recipient will lose the value of it.

I see this happening all the time...in Thailand and elsewhere.

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

I Skype with a 30-year old cutie in CM who recently told me that if we got married she would like to quit her job (chef) and would like to receive...20k baht per month for her expenses and to support her family in KPP.

She is a lot of fun to talk to but I'm not sure about marriage and an allowance etc so I haven't committed to anything. The 20k number is clearly the consensus among her friends. I can't see myself agreeing to that arrangement and am far more likely to stay single. Its too bad because she is sweet and funny.

Renting by the night would be cheaper!

Have you suggested that yet?

She was joking you know.

<sigh> never mind....I'm lucky I suppose to have a gf who can support herself financially.

And long distance too...It might make some of you realise there is more to life than bar girl politics.

In any normal relationship you have give and take in all areas...but if money is a one way street there is a fair chance the constant recipient will lose the value of it.

Don't feed the trolls Smokie coffee1.gif

She was joking you know.

Don't feed the trolls Smokie coffee1.gif

I just couldn't resist shoving a dose of truth down their throats.

:D

• Like 1

Giving your wife or girlfriend money every month to take care of the household seems very normal to me in an oldfashioned way. However, having your 'girlfriend' suggest a number she should get seems like a long term prostitute arrangement.

• Like 1

Renting by the night would be cheaper!

Have you suggested that yet?

I know no one reads what I post but task centered payments are another way to go. I tried it for a year and it worked very well.

Giving your wife or girlfriend money every month to take care of the household seems very normal to me in an oldfashioned way. However, having your 'girlfriend' suggest a number she should get seems like a long term prostitute arrangement.

Yeah, agree. My impression was that her friends put her up to it. Its purely hypothetical though because I hadn't proposed marriage and just chat/vid with her on skype for an hour or two about once per week and am not even in-country. I would want to live a year or two on my own at first just to be sure I like the place and am compatible with the culture. I'm not convinced that marriage offers me anything as I am eligible for a retirement visa.

But who knows, maybe I'll flip out over some upcountry beauty and end up supporting a whole village lol. Anything is possible I suppose. She hasn't been pushy or aggressive and its pretty fun to chat and joke around with her on skype as I speak sufficient thai to get her laughing.

I think 5000 a month is a good deal for a cook,cleaner,bottlewasher,go for,and anytime sex slave.....all this my wife and I are equals BS makes me want to vomit

You are single right?

Why should he be single? According to half of the posters on this thread, this is the recipee for a good relationship here.whistling.gif Hope she shows grattitude wai.gif

I think 5000 a month is a good deal for a cook,cleaner,bottlewasher,go for,and anytime sex slave.....all this my wife and I are equals BS makes me want to vomit

You are single right?

Why should he be single? According to half of the posters on this thread, this is the recipee for a good relationship here.whistling.gif Hope she shows grattitude wai.gif

Fair point. As long as you're all happy...who am i to object? biggrin.png