Non-Immigrant B Visa: Need 21 Days Left On Tourist Visa To Apply?

Hi, I'm a 46 year old American citizen, currently in Thailand on a 60-day tourist visa (expires July 4) which I'm planning to extend 30 days (through August 3rd). I'm looking at getting a non-immigrant B visa, and I have a couple of questions about this.

1. To apply for the non-B visa, do I have to leave Thailand and apply at a Thai Consulate somewhere else? I think the answer is yes.

2. Do I need to have a certain amount of time left on my tourist visa when I apply for the non-B visa, or is that just for some other situations? What information I've seen on this has been conflicting. Is there a 21 day requirement or any time requirement at all?

Ok, thanks for any help.

21 days was the old requirement for conversion from tourist or visa exempt entry to non immigrant entry and can be used for many extensions of stay and now seems to be down to 11 days required. That said most people will exit to obtain from a Consulate.

1. It will depend on the reason and if immediate extension of stay is permitted.

2. It seems to be an 11 day requirement now.

If you have the job/job offer , you can change your tourist visa to a Non-B at immigration here at Chang Wattana, but you need to have at least 10 days left on your visa to do that. If however you think you are just going to go to the nearest consulate/embassy for a Non-B with no paperwork from an employer, I think you may well be very disappointed.

Actually only if you qualify for extension of stay (or will during a 90 day entry) is a conversion to non immigrant entry available inside Thailand AFAIK. Many people who would qualify for a non immigrant visa would not qualify for extension of stay.

Actually only if you qualify for extension of stay (or will during a 90 day entry) is a conversion to non immigrant entry available inside Thailand AFAIK. Many people who would qualify for a non immigrant visa would not qualify for extension of stay.

For extension of stay based on employment you need to have a work permit.

And for extension of stay for retirement or Thai wife you need to have financials in a bank account for several months if using that method but you can obtain the conversion prior to that. As for work extension more than a work permit is required and in many cases tax paperwork will not be available and cause delay.

Thanks all. Yes, I'd have the paperwork from a job offer before I went to apply for the non-immigrant B visa. There seems to be disagreement as to whether there is a requirement that I have a certain number of days remaining on my tourist visa before I apply. Or is the 10 or 11 day requirement you are discussing only related to converting within Thailand?

If I'm taking my paperwork to Vientiane, can I do that just as my current time runs out on August 4th or do I have to go sooner than that?

Thanks again.

No day left requirement for applying for a visa at any consulate.

Be aware that you will not get your work permit and will not be able to work before you get your non-B.

So go sooner if you want to work.