OK, Thai Democracy Is Not Perfect - But What's The Alternative?: Opinion

webfact

There are some basic premises that ordinary Thais have to embrace, starting with what a free election is.

The average Thai (particularly a Red Shirt) thinks payments for votes is perfectly alright, and doesn't even consider it's contrary to democracy.

Politicians, particularly PT, need to hone up on what true democracy is. But it's not enough to know such things. The trick is to actually embrace and practice them, time after time.

Democracy to Thais is like Rules of Driving. Most Thais know the rules of the road, but how they actually drive is a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some basic premises that ordinary Thais have to embrace, starting with what a free election is.

The average Thai (particularly a Red Shirt) thinks payments for votes is perfectly alright, and doesn't even consider it's contrary to democracy.

Politicians, particularly PT, need to hone up on what true democracy is. But it's not enough to know such things. The trick is to actually embrace and practice them, time after time.

Democracy to Thais is like Rules of Driving. Most Thais know the rules of the road, but how they actually drive is a different kettle of fish altogether.

I would lean towards a free election meaning everyone is free to pay for votes. And no I don't think Thais know what a democracy is. I have asked too many. I don't even think most people posting on Thai Visa know what a democracy is.

If you asked the question here at least 50% would tell you America was not a democracy. Even the OP refers to Thai Democracy. There has never been a Thai Democracy!

• Like 1

but it serves no purpose whining about the current government.

I agree with the earlier poster that the situation has been essentially unchanged in many ways and it is the electorate who need to demand higher standards of their leaders. I also understand your similar point kerryk, that there are oligarchies which are behind the scenes of every new PM and often do not move out when the PM does. This is also extremely true of the US, which gives new meaning to the phrase 'power behind the throne' and has done since at least the 1940s. However I think you need to also understand that criticising (or whining) about previous governments does not actually do anything because they are no longer in power. To criticise PTP is to criticise the current government of 2012, the ones who are making the decisions affecting our loved-ones lives at this time. Also they make the news every day because they are in power, it is inevitable they will be discussed more often than people who are not in the news continuously. More so because PTP govern in such a contentious and objectionable way, which angers many rational people, they are the proverbial matador's red cape.

In just one comparison, if the US ran similar to Thailand, Jimmy Carter, Bush Sr., Bill Clinton and Bush Jr. would all be popping in and out of power seats, like jack in the boxes. In Thailand, politicians don't know what 'retire' means. If they're not actively holding positions (after they've been PM or held Cabinet posts), then, as mentioned above, they're pulling puppet strings - until one day, they keel over, and there's a 3 day funeral where all mourners jockey to pay respects (great acting, btw) in hopes of garnering favors - which translates to getting more money.