Phuket-Bound Tour Bus Crashes, 11 Injured

webfact

BREAKING NEWS: Phuket-bound tour bus crashes, 11 injured

Phuket Gazette

bus.jpeg

The location of the crash of the Phuket-bound bus in Prachuap Khiri Khan province last night.

PHUKET: -- A tour bus bound for Phang Nga and Phuket crashed in Prachuap Khiri Khan province late last night, injuring 11 people.

The state-run MCOT news agency reported that the coach was carrying 35 passengers when it crashed into the median strip drainage gully on the Petchkasem Highway in Thong Mongkol subdistrict, Bangsaphan District last night.

The exact time of the accident was not reported. The bus is known to have set off from Bangkok with stops in Phang Nga and then Phuket.

According to initial reports, the accident occurred when the bus tried to overtake a 10-wheel truck and was hit on the left when that truck changed lanes to overtake another truck in front of it.

The bus came to rest tilted to one side against the side of the ditch.

Rescue workers rushed the injured to the nearby Bangsaphan Hospital.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16280.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-27

In other words the truck driver changed lanes without using his mirrors, as mostly!!!

No, that is not what the article states. The article states the truck, not the bus, changed lanes without making sure the lane was free.

In other words the truck driver changed lanes without using his mirrors, as mostly!!!

No, that is not what the article states. The article states the truck, not the bus, changed lanes without making sure the lane was free.

Steve if you read it again that is exactly what they guy is saying. The Truck pulled out without looking. no mention of the bus driver not looking

Steve if you read it again that is exactly what they guy is saying. The Truck pulled out without looking. no mention of the bus driver not looking

You're right, I misread. Apologies to pacovl46.

Good thing no-one was killed, I came up from Phuket to Chumphon by bus a few days ago, same thing nearly happened to that bus, trucks just swing out without looking to see if the lane they are changing to is clear or not, the thought must be someting like 'I'm a truck, I'm bigger than you, I'm coming across get out of the way!'

I think that's what he just said.

Oops. Sorry Steve. I see that you have already responded to this.

Edited by Dap

Accidents like this happen all over the world. It's just part of the dangers of trucking ... and bussing.

yeah yeah yeah ,...... it's all about % and educating drivers , sure it can happen everywhere or anywhere , but not in the numbers you see in thailand , to say it can happen anywhere is not helping anything ,ignoring the dangers of driving in thailand will just create lethargy ,acceptance and belief to those who dont realise/know how deadly the roads/drivers are here , and the gov;t will continue to manipulate the figures and sweep it all under the very bloody carpet that reeks of cover up's that keep thailand stagnating when it should be trying to move forward , again it's all down to money and the thais thirst for it , the driving test is a joke , its designed so all pass so they sell more cars which goes back into the thai economy....... i've seen a dozen or more fatal road accidents in thailand only ever seen one in the UK , apart from one i was involved in myself , as i have lived in the UK for 2x that of thailand.............well.............you work it out ! , BUT one thing is for sure , this country's roads are VERY dangerous and accidents happen 10 fold here compared to the western europe.

ps;no more silly statements please.

For those new in LOS this are the road rules and thanks to stuart:146Share

by Stu Lloyd www.thailandjingjing.blogspot.com

It is hoped that this definitive list will be soon be adopted as the official driving code of Thailand, in the absence of any other such known publication, so that all drivers on the road will act in strict accordance with it.

# 1. The Mercedes Benz always has right of way.

#2. The more wheels you have, the more right of way you have. (Except when Rule #1 applies.)

#3. Anything with two wheels or less does not count as a vehicle and should be disregarded completely. Even if it’s a 1800 cc Harley Davidson the size of the average Thai house.

#4. If you need to turn off, then turn off. If that means a right-angled swerve across three lanes on two wheels so you don’t miss your turn, please go ahead. We’ll just fit in with your plan. No need to indicate your intention.

#5. If in the process of executing that turn, you cause three motorcyclists and a tuk tuk to end up in the ditch, add 5 points.

#6. Indicators should only be used in the following fashion. If someone is behind you and wanting to overtake, put on your right indicator. This means either a/ it is clear and safe to overtake now or b/ don’t overtake now a bus is coming over the blind rise at a speed approaching 130km/h. It will soon become apparent which meaning was intended.

#7. Do have as many Buddhist amulets on the dashboard as possible. If you’re involved in a fatal accident, never mind — there’s always another life, and another …

#8. Traffic jams can be frustrating, so, as soon as you get any open space at all, get your vehicle to its highest possible top speed. As a guideline the rpm counter should be kept in the red zone in event of any open road.

#9. When joining a busy main road from a small side soi, proceed directly into the intersection without stopping – or even pausing – for other traffic. This selfishly indulgent act of stopping and checking will only cause confusion for those behind you, with the possible result of them rear-ending you.

#10. When on a motorcycle, do not wear a helmet, and ride as fast as the bike will possibly go while using cars, buses, elephants, and chickens as slalom course markers. Irrespective of traffic conditions, possible dangers lurking around the corner, and pedestrians foolishly crossing the road at a marked pedestrian crossing, maintain this speed (once again, the red zone on your rpm gauge is a reliable indicator). After all, in the event of some other idiot doing the wrong thing, you want to be killed outright, not maimed.

#11. On the subject of pedestrian crossings, these are known to farangs as ‘zebra crossings’. There are no zebras in Thailand. Ignore. Proceed as usual.

#12. Do not wear a seat-belt. This will delay you when you stop at 7-11 to buy more beer for the drive, resulting in late arrival for the party. This is not acceptable to your thirsty friends.

#13. In the event you become completely, utterly, motherlessly drunk when drinking with your friends do not — repeat: DO NOT! — leave your vehicle there and attempt to walk home. In your drunken state you might be tempted to actually use a pedestrian crossing on foot, without observing the golden rule of crossing any road in Thailand: look Right, look Left, look Up then look Down before you cross. The buggers will get you from anywhere!

#14. Red lights. This is merely an optical illusion – all traffic lights in Thailand consist of three different shades of green. What you think is red is actually just dark green. Proceed as usual.

Read more: Thailand Driving License: The REAL Road Rules finally available! | Thailand Musings on <link removed>Thailand Travel and More

Edited by LivinginKata
Link to another forum removed as per Thaivisa rules