Loudspeaker Driving Me Crazy

sensei

More than once, I've simply yanked wires out of speakers, with Thais standing right there watching. Wouldn't recommend it though. Thais have a love affair with amplifiers and speakers. There is only one setting, and that's FULL, with VU meters in the red. They know nothing about slider levels (bass/treble). Shopping in Thailand can often be a painful experience, particularly for those (like me) who have sensitive hearing or are musicians (OUCH!). There are a slew of shops in town which I will not enter, simply because the gross noise hurts my ears and brain.

Monks at wats which broadcast sermons, etc should be ashamed of themselves. I've been a Buddhist for 5 decades and I know that imposing noise on others is not Buddhist.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After two months... My misery has ended.

The speakers are gone.

I'll have a looooong moment of silence for this smile.png

Now some dumb a$$hole will probably start flying his paramotor around your house everyday. I wouldn't wish that noise on anyone bah.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The speakers are gone.

Now some dumb a$$hole will probably start flying his paramotor around your house everyday. I wouldn't wish that noise on anyone bah.gif

^^^

Wow! Talk about optimism!

As I have said, my problem has been resolved.

Let's not create an imaginary one just to make the skeptics happy.

Not imaginary for everyone.

We've had some clown with one of these flying around our area recently. Luckily it was only for a couple of days, hopefully he crashed and burned.

• Like 1

The speakers are gone.

Glad to hear the speakers are now gone. Public address systems seem to be endemic to rural villages of Thailand. While staying in Mae La Noi one night I noticed these big speakers up on poles about every few streets in the village. At 6 AM I found out what they were for... propaganda and screaching noise for two hours. By that time I was up, had my shower and was ready to leave. Sure glad I didn't have to live there.

• Like 1

wait till it's dark out and cut the wires.

keep doing that and eventually you will find your peace again...

Good idea mainly if a Thai from the village sees you sick.gif

I certainly would not do that even thought I understand your feelings believe me. I have spent a week not far from Patalong last year a very old friend of mine have a house in a little village where he is the only farang.The loudspeakers did not started at noon but at 6 AM . The first day I asked him whats happened this morning, this morning nothing, its every morning.

• Like 1

Not imaginary for everyone.

We've had some clown with one of these flying around our area recently. Luckily it was only for a couple of days, hopefully he crashed and burned.

Our property is in a very quiet area in the countryside. Weekends & holidays, sometimes every day, we get up to half a dozen of these freaking things at the 2 times of the day it's nice to sit outside. Early morning & late afternoon. Need an rpg launcher!!!!

• Like 1

" Happy New Year ", no way.The speakers in the local wat fired up at 4.30 this morning at full volume and playing some mindless crap more suited to a teenage birthday party.To make it worse, they played the same cd over and over 6 times untill someone suggested that they put on something more suitable and to drop the volume.

" Happy New Year ", no way.The speakers in the local wat fired up at 4.30 this morning at full volume and playing some mindless crap more suited to a teenage birthday party.To make it worse, they played the same cd over and over 6 times untill someone suggested that they put on something more suitable and to drop the volume.

Gangnam Style?

Gangnam Style?

No it wasn't this time but they have in the past.As it turns out a sister inlaw and her son live next door and he plays nothing else and to make matters worse,I copied the MP3 for him not knowing what it was. Edited by Ron19

I have just moved to a new house and I have been here for just three weeks. I love the peace and quiet in this village until today. I saw some random guys installing something on a post just across the street yesterday and I thought that they were connected to either the telephone company or the internet service provider.

All the peace and quiet that I have enjoyed in the last three weeks were shattered when I found out that they installed THREE speakers on that post just across the street, Those were not high quality BOSE speakers but they look more like giant TWEETERS.

There is nowhere to hide inside the house. The sound penetrated every corner and they played annoyingly loud Thai music that I do not even understand. Seriously, this drove my wife to tears...

After asking some people, I was told that the signal is coming from the government office. It played nonstop from noon until 6:00 PM. I wouldn't even listen to my own song collection for that long.

This is nothing short of torture.

Is there anyone else here who have had this experience?

Is there anything I can do about this?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

for what its worth I sympathise but very little you can do...Thailand is a volume crazy place and I have lived and worked here for some years and frankly had enough of it. in about 2 weeks I am leaving to work elsewhere.... No good complaining one has to vote with ones feet.... Good luck and Happy New Year

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

While in the West they say how noise makes people ill, from heart disease to cancer, it seems in Thailand people get ill if the noise level is below 100 dB.....

Is there a noisier country in the world? The hub of noise!

Philippines

One of my fondest memories from college was when they installed the new PA system at the stadium about a mile from my rented house. They tested the system by playing Willie Nelson all day while we sat in the back yard drinking Lone Star Longnecks.

After that test, they only used the system on game days. Kind of sad, really.

Maybe it won't be as bad as you expect?

• 2 weeks later...

wait till it's dark out and cut the wires.

keep doing that and eventually you will find your peace again...

+1

just dont get caught !!!!!! its probably not good for a farang to be vandalising govt equipment

pay someone to do it .

• Like 1

While in the West they say how noise makes people ill, from heart disease to cancer, it seems in Thailand people get ill if the noise level is below 100 dB.....

Is there a noisier country in the world? The hub of noise!

Philippines

Yes, but instead of firecrackers going off it is machinegun fire.

Or if you do not want to have to deal with it your self and do not want to actually pay for it (too direct)... you can always invite one of the local drunks over for some beers (sure there are plenty, as most little villages seems to come equipped with them)

Get about a half a dozen beers and sit there drinking with him and complain about the speakers and talk about how happy you would be if someone could do something about it... may even mention that you had though about snipping the wires but afraid to do it...

Then invite him back for the next day... when he gets there, tell him you are so upset about all the racket you are not in the mood to drink given all the racket, but if someone could ever find a solution to stop those speakers, you would buy a case of beer and a couple bottles of Loa Khao the next day to celebrate and he would be invited over to drink his fill...

Then just sit back and wait...

• Like 1

^^^

See the previous post...

Speakers gone...

Problem solved.

For those suggesting that I do some acrobatic stunts, thanks but I am to heavy to do those things.

For those suggeting that I cut the wires or fill it with foam, those ideas are plausible in theory but the speakers are clearly beyond reach and the pole is conveniently located in full view between the guard house and the village's office. I forgot to mention that doing those things are illegal and can get a foreigner into trouble with the local law.

Inviting drunks is out of the question because I myself don't drink.

I also stumbled upon Ivan Pavlov's unpublished scientific paper. He had a follow up experiment after he got tired of wiping the floor clear of saliva. He used drunks instead. As expected, he got similar results.

For the rare few who posted sensible responses, many thanks.

• 1 month later...

I thought the simple rule to avoid all this was don't move to the sticks. Avoid hillbilly area's and you don't get the speakers. tongue.png

Nope. I live in Banglamung and the f***ers are blasting outside our window from 7 in the morning. My wife is p***ed at me for being upset about it. No music just propaganda.

• Like 1