Cost Of Living In Chiang Mai, Update, Summer 2012

Cyrus2Ray

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We talking 9 bedrooms or 9 rooms in total?

This as meaningful as comparing; how many exterior doors you have, how many cylinders in total of all the engines you own, how many bathrooms, etc etc who cares.

no mention of the rooms being a metre square

back to the topic

lemons now 10 baht for 5

were 4 baht each a few weeks ago

laugh.pnglaugh.png

elektrified

You smell a troll

I think you hit the nail on the head there. 51 years old and having to count his cetongs. (I am sure you know the correct spelling) I wonder if he was the guy about a year ago wondering where he could turn them all in?

I do have to disagree with you about 2 in one room. It works quite well for me and the Mrs. In fact it has been a fantastic journey. Living this way you learn to respect them and trust them and being from two different cultures you learn about the other one and get to see some of the finer points in it. The rough points I have learned to over look. Except for the one if I ask a question and the answer is yes I get a grunt. Maybe that is just her and not her culture.sad.png

sorry to disapoint but no troll here

if you follow the question i have answered the question ELECTRICMAN hasnt

i have told the up to date market prices as well as eating out

anything else he wants to know he can ask

i have lived 25 years in asia and i also said better to live in cambodia

sT he number 1 problem is air quality as that will have an impact on everyones quality of life as well as budget for medical expenses

All Thai food is heavily sprayed so again that impacts on your cost as regards to health

see previous post where i said you can buy fresh organic food

SOAP 54 baht for 4

herbal soap 3 for 100 in walking market

lychees 50 baht in market

mangoes 20 baht kg

chillies 15 baht kg

me i grow my own

good quality linen

90 baht thai 260 baht japanese 318 poland per metre

good quality cotton for bedsheets

60 baht per metre

I also have goog quality Japanese antiques that iwant to move on if you want quality home decoration.

yes i lived in Japn for many years

First time i went with 50 pounds i my pocket and stayed for 9 months,living in a millionares mansion for 100 pond a month

so yes i am very satisfied with my life

how much did you spend on a good edukashon?

elektrified

You smell a troll

I think you hit the nail on the head there. 51 years old and having to count his cetongs. (I am sure you know the correct spelling) I wonder if he was the guy about a year ago wondering where he could turn them all in?

I do have to disagree with you about 2 in one room. It works quite well for me and the Mrs. In fact it has been a fantastic journey. Living this way you learn to respect them and trust them and being from two different cultures you learn about the other one and get to see some of the finer points in it. The rough points I have learned to over look. Except for the one if I ask a question and the answer is yes I get a grunt. Maybe that is just her and not her culture.sad.png

sT he number 1 problem is air quality as that will have an impact on everyones quality of life as well as budget for medical expenses

All Thai food is heavily sprayed so again that impacts on your cost as regards to health

SOAP 54 baht for 4

mangoes 20 baht kg

chillies 15 baht kg

me i grow my own

good quality linen

60 baht per metre

I also have goog quality Japanese antiques that iwant to move on if you want quality home decoration.

First time i went with 50 pounds i my pocket and stayed for 9 months,living in a millionares mansion for 100 pond a month

edukashon costs

educasion costs

well flight costs are going up so say on average 1000 pounds from uk to japan /thailand /india

cost of living ina one bedroom india about 400 pounds a year

thailand 6000 per year

japan9000 per year

thats food included

Edukashon stil free in the uk

my mate studied at gordonstoun

stll lived in a one roomer at the age of 70

though he did drink champayne for breakfast just about every day

Edited by wigantojapan

elektrified

You smell a troll

SOAP 54 baht for 4

mangoes 20 baht kg

chillies 15 baht kg

me i grow my own

good quality linen

60 baht per metre

jerk.gif

Well after reading all his posts I now have a pretty good idea of what it would be like to drop out of society.

He started another thread in which he claims to live in a 16,000 baht a month place. I wonder if it is all one room. Kind of like jail cell with the toilet in the corner open for a 180 degree viewing.

• Like 1

elektrified

You smell a troll

Well said it is interesting to see and live how the Thais do.

I an only a visitor when i come but ask my Thai friends as much as i can so a learn a little every time.

Well after reading all his posts I now have a pretty good idea of what it would be like to drop out of society.

He started another thread in which he claims to live in a 16,000 baht a month place. I wonder if it is all one room. Kind of like jail cell with the toilet in the corner open for a 180 degree viewing.

No emoticons? Your being sarcastic correct? smile.png

Guess my Thai staff that make just a little over 10,000 Baht a month, and drive new trucks, only recently moved into their nice little houses moving from their jail cell?

Maybe no friends, bored with nothing to do!

I don't know how old you are (actually it doesn't really matter) but how could two people live in one single room??? To me that is existing; not living. My (rented) home here has 9 rooms and it is no where near big enough for 3 of us. My home that I owned in Los Angeles had 13 rooms + a garage and a guest house and it was not large enough either.

Wonder what you do in your house, play hide and seek? rolleyes.gif

Meh, you make it sound like it's the Palace of Versailles. It just depends on the size of your family; plus he may count the staff's facilities, like the rooms for the maid and nanny. Then often you have some office space, and ideally all kids get their own room. (If you're Captain Von Trapp, it does add up.) Plus kids tend to be noisy so at the very least they need a separate TV room that can double as a Karaoke facility, meaning you only have to sound-proof one area.

That said, my kids all have their own room, though for some reason they all end up in the Blue Room with my wife every night; so might as well not have bothered. (See, you need to give rooms names because after you run out of distinct functions to name them you need to go by design theme / color.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

That said, my kids all have their own room, though for some reason they all end up in the Blue Room with my wife every night; so might as well not have bothered. (See, you need to give rooms names because after you run out of distinct functions to name them you need to go by design theme / color.)

You don't spend the night in the same room as your wife ????????????

I don't know how old you are (actually it doesn't really matter) but how could two people live in one single room??? To me that is existing; not living. My (rented) home here has 9 rooms and it is no where near big enough for 3 of us. My home that I owned in Los Angeles had 13 rooms + a garage and a guest house and it was not large enough either.

Wonder what you do in your house, play hide and seek? rolleyes.gif

Meh, you make it sound like it's the Palace of Versailles. It just depends on the size of your family; plus he may count the staff's facilities, like the rooms for the maid and nanny. Then often you have some office space, and ideally all kids get their own room. (If you're Captain Von Trapp, it does add up.) Plus kids tend to be noisy so at the very least they need a separate TV room that can double as a Karaoke facility, meaning you only have to sound-proof one area.

Alas, a voice of reason.thumbsup.gif

Yes we have a housekeeper, we have a child, the g/f's business occupies 3 rooms, my office and the music room, etc. So we are running out of space rather quickly. I plan on looking for a bigger home in about a year.

But that is because I am not a cheap Charlie.

What does this actually mean?

I see you've completely glossed over this.

Come on dolly please give me your definition of what a Cheap Charlie is not?

Edited by uptheos

elektrified

You smell a troll

You'd see the Mrs blossom more, if you spent some money, rented a nice house, gave her a bit of breathing space and perhaps a little garden to look after.

I wonder if she has learned to 'overlook' your rough points and learned how to trust 'them'.

• Like 1

While it's quite possible to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle here on 30,000-50,000 baht/month, don't overlook the need for savings and/or health insurance. Vehicular accidents are much more common here than in the west, even if you don't actually drive. I've seen bills for repair of broken bones and rehab that are routinely over 100,000 baht and can get to be as high as 300,000 baht. Remember, health care isn't free here for foreigners and the only obligation of the public hospital is to "stabilize a patient" -- not provide stellar service or rehab for foreigners who claim they can't pay their hospital bills. The private hospitals will simply send the ambulance to the public hospital if someone is unable to make a hefty initial deposit upon admission.

• Like 1

But that is because I am not a cheap Charlie.

What does this actually mean?

I see you've completely glossed over this.

Come on dolly please give me your definition of what a Cheap Charlie is not?

A cheap charlie is one who will pay the least price he can. Sometimes even go with out some thing even when he can afford it.

You will never catch him in the river market.clap2.gif

• Like 1

While it's quite possible to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle here on 30,000-50,000 baht/month, don't overlook the need for savings and/or health insurance. Vehicular accidents are much more common here than in the west, even if you don't actually drive. I've seen bills for repair of broken bones and rehab that are routinely over 100,000 baht and can get to be as high as 300,000 baht. Remember, health care isn't free here for foreigners and the only obligation of the public hospital is to "stabilize a patient" -- not provide stellar service or rehab for foreigners who claim they can't pay their hospital bills. The private hospitals will simply send the ambulance to the public hospital if someone is unable to make a hefty initial deposit upon admission.

Again, the fairer sex speaks with wise words.

After 47 posts the guys have established the price of lemons, that electrified lives in a castle and hello dolly lives in a tent, and the guy from wigan is a troll

Also if riding on motor bike it is not if you get in a accident it is when you get in a accident. You may be the best rider around but there are a lot who are not. As for walking there is always the possibility of not looking both ways when crossing the street or thinking you have the right of way on the sidewalk.I came close one day for not looking both ways when crossing a one way street a motor bike was going the wrong way on the iron bridge. And I know better

After 47 posts the guys have established the price of lemons, that electrified lives in a castle and hello dolly lives in a tent, and the guy from wigan is a troll

Established the price of LIMES.

LIMES ..... green and round sold everywhere.

Lemons ...... yellow and rugby ball shaped, expensive and imported.

Just because the Thais don't know what lemons are (they mainly seem to think lemons are over-ripe limes) is no reason for us to be ignorant.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Yellow lemons? Soooo last life!

Just like anywhere in the world, people never have enough money. You can have an income of 20,000B a month, that 5000B room and the desire for a trip to the Moo Gata once a week means its a push.

50,000B a month and that car loan, the rent and upkeep of the nice house you couldn't live without, eating out a western restaurants a couple of weeks really starts to dig away at your pocket. Once you get to

100,000B a month, then you need a Toyota Fortuner because nothing else gives the comfort, view of the road and most importantly safety for you and your loved ones. You wouldn't be living in paradise if you didn't have a swimming pool in the yard, and heaven forbid having to do the gardening and cleaning, get people in to do that!

500,000B a month and of course Chiang Mai's great, but you need somewhere on Sukhumvit as well because you seem to be there twice a week and you must have a shower before chilling in Paragon darling. Those imported designer wear items don't come cheap, and we need to upgrade little Jonnny's BMW, really a 5 series isn't big enough. Oh, how I'd live to have a boat down in Phuket like Charles does. these 1st class tickets for the family holiday to Italy don't come cheap. How are we supposed to live?

I want more! More worries.

Maybe a better question for the OP would be how could he live on X amount of Baht?

• Like 2

Great suggestion, thanks !

How to live on 30,000 baht per month in CM ??!!

and then we could estimate what would be possible with less or more ... but 30k baht as a benchmark, would that work ?

By the way, I mentioned "farang" because of my lack of experience, but "expat" would be a better word to use perhaps.

"high-rollers", another word that could be replaced with " expats with higher incomes", - just to avoid a possible negative connotation associated with the word.

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

Ah.. if this topic is just asking people their monthly spend, then that topic has been done a couple times so I can tell you the result: you get WILDLY varying numbers, enough to make the exercise completely useless. People can pretty much spend whatever they want to spend, starting as low as 20K a month all the way to 200,000K and more.

I think the only way to track the cost of living over time is to agree on an average lifestyle, make a specific budget and add in the current costs for all agreed upon items and services, and then do the whole thing again a year later.

Winnie, isn't it shocking how this sensible question degraded into a stupid argument mostly over lemons and limes.

and then we could estimate what would be possible with less or more ... but 30k baht as a benchmark, would that work ?

By the way, I mentioned "farang" because of my lack of experience, but "expat" would be a better word to use perhaps.

My reply number 23 does contain useful info..but I must say I prefer Limes. sick.gif

Lot's of accommodation info like this....free advise that can really help.

As I am a an Accountant, I keep comprehensive records of my financial affairs, both in Thailand and my home country.

I am more than willing to assist you in a budget, and suggest we chat initially via emails, if you are interested

Cheers..

Cost of living can be as much or as little as you like.

The longer you live here the easier it is to live at lower cost.

Speak Thai and again it cost less sadly

There are Thai workers clerks at Big C or tesco or something similar who live on 6000 a month

Thai government say 15,000 is middle class very near the level I and my family of 3 live

Hang out with Thai and things cost lower, Expats and things cost more.

My retired inlaws live on about 6000 a month for the 2 of them but they own their home free and clear as I do. They walk or ride bike everywhere, I have transportation