Cost Of Living In Chiang Mai, Update, Summer 2012

Cyrus2Ray

Another reason I was curious about an update on the cost of living in Chiang Mai was the info I originally saw online that suggested the feasibility of retiring in S.E.Asia on $ XXX /month, and so on, ....

....and I thought to myself, well, that must have been a little while ago when life in SE Asia was a lot cheaper than it is now,

due to at least a couple of reasons;

1- Most western currencies used to be much stronger against the Thai Baht in the past

2- Annual natural increase in living costs due to the natural inflation rate and growth worldwide

I stand humble, and please correct me where I am wrong.... wai.gif

...so I wonder ..... is it still possible to retire there on $ XXX / month ??!! ( 3 digits only .... US $ )

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 47 posts the guys have established the price of lemons, that electrified lives in a castle and hello dolly lives in a tent, and the guy from wigan is a troll

Established the price of LIMES.

LIMES ..... green and round sold everywhere.

Lemons ...... yellow and rugby ball shaped, expensive and imported.

Just because the Thais don't know what lemons are (they mainly seem to think lemons are over-ripe limes) is no reason for us to be ignorant.

well fancy that coming from wigan i dont know the shape of a rugby ball lemon

lemons grown in chyprakan 3 hours from CM

didnt ask for my passport or visa when i went there and no i bought the lemons the yellow rugby ball ones near the ymca and yes i have bought and grown yellow shaped rugby ball limes more commonly known as lemons in chyprakan

now i know what a lime is

thank you

is it still possible to retire in Chiang Mai on only $ XXX / month ??!! ( 3 digits only .... US $ )

Again I refer you to answers 23 and 58. I think you'd be in his categorie 1 budget...The tightest one or $500 pm but he explains how it's doable.

Check his videos, Food, rent, travel..it's all there...you won't be disappointed. BTW he worked with Anthony Robbins for 12 years so he's pretty cool.

Trust me I'm a Vegan and Zecharia Sitchen was a wise man smile.png

Edited by TantraMantra

Another reason I was curious about an update on the cost of living in Chiang Mai was the info I originally saw online that suggested the feasibility of retiring in S.E.Asia on $ XXX /month, and so on, ....

....and I thought to myself, well, that must have been a little while ago when life in SE Asia was a lot cheaper than it is now,

1- Most western currencies used to be much stronger against the Thai Baht in the past

2- Annual natural increase in living costs due to the natural inflation rate and growth worldwide

...so I wonder ..... is it still possible to retire there on $ XXX / month ??!! ( 3 digits only .... US $ )

I know it is difficult getting a straight answer in this forum, and it must be frustrating to you. In regards to points 1. and 2. that you just raised, you are absolutely correct. The THB has remained strong while many other currencies have weakened. And of course, the cost of living goes up here just like it does anywhere else in the world. The one thing that remains stable (at least here in C.M.) are rents. Supply and demand...

I can't answer your last question. But what - for arguments sake take your 3 digits of 999 USD which is what 30,000 THB? I couldn't possibly live on 30,000. But then I have a child, pets, vehicles...etc. Maybe some people can. I don't know any. Most Thais I know live on at least that.

I know it is difficult getting a straight answer in this forum, and it must be frustrating to you. In regards to points 1. and 2. that you just raised, you are absolutely correct. The THB has remained strong while many other currencies have weakened. And of course, the cost of living goes up here just like it does anywhere else in the world. The one thing that remains stable (at least here in C.M.) are rents. Supply and demand...

I can't answer your last question. But what - for arguments sake take your 3 digits of 999 USD which is what 30,000 THB? I couldn't possibly live on 30,000. But then I have a child, pets, vehicles...etc. Maybe some people can. I don't know any. Most Thais I know live on at least that.

He sounds like a single guy and therefore his budget might be fraction of yours. So I refer him to answers 23 and 58 where he can contact another single guy who is an expert adviser on living on a budget of less that $1,000 pm in Chiang Mai and still have a great life. Take a look yourself. Obviously it's not for you but if you were single and had Spiritual interests you could be happy on 30,000 pm or less.

But that is because I am not a cheap Charlie.

What does this actually mean?

I see you've completely glossed over this.

Come on dolly please give me your definition of what a Cheap Charlie is not?

A cheap charlie is one who will pay the least price he can. Sometimes even go with out some thing even when he can afford it.

You will never catch him in the river market.clap2.gif

In other words, a Cheap Charlie is not a fool.

Edited by uptheos

You are talking 30,000 baht and as has been posted often it is quite doable.

I figure 30 baht to the dollar as a general rule of thumb.

But that is because I am not a cheap Charlie.

I see you've completely glossed over this.

Come on dolly please give me your definition of what a Cheap Charlie is not?

A cheap charlie is one who will pay the least price he can. Sometimes even go with out some thing even when he can afford it.

You will never catch him in the river market.clap2.gif

In other words, a Cheap Charlie is not a fool.

Well he is a fool if he can afford to treat himself but won't because it costs money even though he has it.

Or maybe he has low self esteem and thinks he dosen't deserve any thing good. In that case he needs professional help.

A cheap Charlie was described in the video on post 58. Live in a small room right across the street from a big market with continual noise. He better know what things are before they are cooked and not really care about his health. Noticed the kitchen staff in one of them playing with there hair. Also noticed at a fixed menu he said the portions weren't very big.He never even came close to the subject of medical expenses.

Have no means of transportation other than on foot or if he is willing to cheat a little bit buy a old motor bike. Did you notice the fellow in the video was waiting for donations to get a van.

Reminds me of what a agnostic friend of mine said at a funeral. No pockets on the casket.

• Like 1

In this expat-filled forum, cost of living depends on the individual's life style, as many have already stated.

Apart from housing, which may be 30-50% cheaper than in Bangkok, other things lumped together may be 10% cheaper than in Bangkok.

Whether one lives on B10,000 or B500,000 a month, they are all possible. There's no argument there I hope. For myself, if it needs be, I can live on B5,000 per month since I have no mortgage or any installments to pay. Oh, well....since I have a wife and several dogs, I think we can get by with B20,000 per month. That's about half of what some individual expats can live on.

My motto has always been to never live beyond one's means and don't buy things on credit especially when one is getting old. Why stress yourself that you need to make money to meet a certain obligations every month?

In this expat-filled forum, cost of living depends on the individual's life style, as many have already stated.

Apart from housing, which may be 30-50% cheaper than in Bangkok, other things lumped together may be 10% cheaper than in Bangkok.

Whether one lives on B10,000 or B500,000 a month, they are all possible. There's no argument there I hope. For myself, if it needs be, I can live on B5,000 per month since I have no mortgage or any installments to pay. Oh, well....since I have a wife and several dogs, I think we can get by with B20,000 per month. That's about half of what some individual expats can live on.

My motto has always been to never live beyond one's means and don't buy things on credit especially when one is getting old. Why stress yourself that you need to make money to meet a certain obligations every month?

It would seem to me that most people Live on how much they bring in. If they only bring in 10,000 baht they can live on that if they bring in say 80,000 baht they live on that. If they bring in more they may save some of it or spend it.

well, been a learning journey indeed !

it was all in the spirit of discovery and scout-like investigation of the various costs of living in CM,

I am sure everyone will take away a useful piece of info from this thread thus far, regardless of budget,

mission accomplished, thank you all ! wai.gif

... of course members are welcome to continue their inputs and exchange opinions and facts ...

knowing is always better than not knowing, so this thread can definitely continue ....

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

is it still possible to retire in Chiang Mai on only $ XXX / month ??!! ( 3 digits only .... US $ )

Yes, I will try to give you some example what you can do in your budget;

budget 30,000 baht

- expenses : rent 5,000

electric 500

water 300

internet 600

telephone 400

food; 1)Thai food 2 meals a day

plus drink(some place is free) @50x2x30 = 3,000

2) Farang food 1 meal a day @200x1x30 = 6,000

transportation expense (red car @20x 4 times,

I say in average you can save cost by walking or

take red car 1 time return 20x2x30 = 1,200

buy some clothes 1,000

doctor or phamacy (reserve for small sickness) 1,000

sport (for example: go to swim everyday cost 50x30 = 1,500

entertainment (movie, exhibition, music,... for 1x week) 1,200

saving 10% 3,000

shopping (soap, shampoo,fruits, drink,...) 2,300

total expenses and saving 26,000 baht

It is mean you still have 4,000 baht over that can be save for buy some motorbike, bicycle or keep for some other expenses or extra things that you want to do/ to buy/to see.

All the cost that I give example can be less or a bit more but you know your budget so will not be difficult to live with 30,000 baht or less.

• Like 1

People also need to factor in a change in the exchange rates...especially if you are going to be here for a number of years. In the last 5 years the USD and Pound have gone down significantly, so if you were "ok" 5 years ago you might not be now. Likewise the Oz dollar has gone up a bit. Putting money aside makes a lot of sense, but living a bit within your budget rather than to your budget also has merit with exchange rates. I get paid in Oz dollars but my Thai prices have not gone up so I am saving quite a bit now, of course the converse argument exists for other nationals, eat into equity or modify lifestyle.

Start a thread on how to make up the 800 000 required for a retirement visa and see how many have schemes, plots, and wrangling to reach that number. It has not been indexed for years and not that there was any great science in it (now)but to me its not a bad number. Imagine the screams if it was indexed....

well, been a learning journey indeed !

it was all in the spirit of discovery and scout-like investigation of the various costs of living in CM,

I am sure everyone will take away a useful piece of info from this thread thus far, regardless of budget,

mission accomplished, thank you all ! wai.gif

... of course members are welcome to continue their inputs and exchange opinions and facts ...

knowing is always better than not knowing, so this thread can definitely continue ....

It will probably go on long after you forgot about it and even changed your mind about moving to Chiang Mai.

Without knowing what you want and your lifestyle people can only compare it to themselves.

I used to drive a Porsche 911, only wore designer, spent without restriction and constantly traveled the world with beautiful girls.

When I think back now it seems like a period of madness. You don't need much to be happy.$1.000 pm or less can be plenty.

Elektified's life sounds like slavery to me.

That said, my kids all have their own room, though for some reason they all end up in the Blue Room with my wife every night; so might as well not have bothered. (See, you need to give rooms names because after you run out of distinct functions to name them you need to go by design theme / color.)

You don't spend the night in the same room as your wife ????????????

Sometimes, but I sleep much better in my own room.

Well he is a fool if he can afford to treat himself but won't because it costs money even though he has it.

Or maybe he has low self esteem and thinks he dosen't deserve any thing good. In that case he needs professional help.

A cheap Charlie was described in the video on post 58. Live in a small room right across the street from a big market with continual noise. He better know what things are before they are cooked and not really care about his health. Noticed the kitchen staff in one of them playing with there hair. Also noticed at a fixed menu he said the portions weren't very big.He never even came close to the subject of medical expenses.

Have no means of transportation other than on foot or if he is willing to cheat a little bit buy a old motor bike. Did you notice the fellow in the video was waiting for donations to get a van.

Reminds me of what a agnostic friend of mine said at a funeral. No pockets on the casket.

You live in a room. It might be a nice room but it's still a room, with you and the Mrs cooped up there 24/7. You've got money, why not rent a nice house, if not for you then for the Mrs? I can't believe she wouldn't want some space from you and for herself.

You have no means of transport apart from Songtels and Tuk Tuk's. Even if you are unable to drive, why not buy a car for the Mrs so that she can have a bit of freedom and drive you to where you want to go? I believe those who shout loudest about others being 'cheap Charlies and having (in your words) low self esteem, are the real cheapo's and have a need to project this onto others. Just because you sit all day in a room and probably sleep all afternoon (I notice you never post in the afternoon), then go out for a meal to somewhere you feel 'safe' and therefore pay the higher price does not make you Mr extravagance. However, your lifestyle is your choice, but if one has to pigeon hole people the way you like to, I would say that your particular lifestyle certainly likens to that of what you always call a cheap Charlie.

Brilliant well said

imho Cm is ok in the short run but with the air quality as well as the ever on going visa restrictions and tightening of regulations the main issues of will i stay will i go

cambodia is a much better option at this moment in the long run for air quality,archetectural ambience,cost of living,little or no red tape ,beauty of enviroment and most of all the people

how Thailand was and still is but in smaller pockets

bottom line with money in cm

15000-30000 easily achievable can have a fufilling and varied lifestyle

add another 20000 baht to these figures for emergencies

more can buy you more but is the quality any better or fufilling

i gave you the market prices as well as restaurant

up to you

thats me finished with this thread

if you do end up here

enjoy

• Like 1

Elektified's life sounds like slavery to me.

Because I have a kid, some animals, and other expenses? You must be joking!

I'm not sure how he came up with that one. Your life sounds pretty pleasant to me.

I don't get it either.

My life is not perfect. Is anyone living a perfect life? But when I wake up each morning I often think how fortunate I am to be here and have my young son here with me. Sure life was cheaper when I didn't have a child. I think everyone on here who has children knows all the costs associated with having a child in Thailand; education; healthcare, etc. But I'm happy.

I have been experimenting lately with getting around using songtaews and my bicycle as much as possible. In fact I haven't driven the car once since I got back from down South 3 weeks ago and only used the motorcycle to transport my child to and from school. Yes I have saved some money but I honestly don't see how some ex-pats living outside the city can do this indefinitely just to save money. I don't mean people living inside the moat or nearby like the CMU area, etc. I mean people living in Sansai, Saraphi, San Kamphaeng, etc. I've been caught out in the rain a few times, had to hassle with carrying stuff here and there... Also a lot of ex-pats that rely on songtaews to get around during the hot season tend to stink like hell. I won't live my life that way and will spend the extra money to get around in comfort.

• Like 1

My life is not perfect. Is anyone living a perfect life? But when I wake up each morning I often think how fortunate I am to be here and have my young son here with me. Sure life was cheaper when I didn't have a child. I think everyone on here who has children knows all the costs associated with having a child in Thailand; education; healthcare, etc. But I'm happy.

The costs of having a kid in Thailand ......... almost nothing.

Teenager about 1k/month

Baby about 1k/month

I have a pickup and two m/cs ...... so everyone has transport .... very cheap to run.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Teenager about 1k/month

Baby about 1k/month

I have a pickup and two m/cs ...... so everyone has transport .... very cheap to run.

I'm talking about the cost of education and health insurance, healthcare, etc. Not the cost of food! And my 3 y/o kid eats more than 1K THB worth of food a month!

You would be amazed at how many ex-pats don't have transportation! I never understood that one.

• Like 1

Teenager about 1k/month

Baby about 1k/month

Is This a troll post?...1K/month will not even cover lunch money...or cost of diapers for that matter...

Did anybody here mention taxes? Retirement funds?

Personally, I don't know how I could live here on a 100k per month. Life here is as expensive as in any other country if you want to enjoy the same lifestyle as over there. Computers and IT-gear is more expensive and the cars cost 3 times as much as in the US and Europe. My aircon wastes as much energy as my heating back in Norway.

Now, I don't have kids, but that makes it really expensive. School in Europe is mostly free. Here you would need to pay for it, pay for school uniforms, tutoring, etc.

(All of the the above is only true if you want to keep up a Western lifestyle.)