House Speaker Wants Bills On Reconciliation Pulled: Thailand

webfact

POLITICS

Speaker wants bills on reconciliation pulled

KANITTHA THEPPHAJORN

THE NATION

30185141-01_big.JPG

Somsak

BANGKOK: -- House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said yesterday that he would ask the sponsors of the reconciliation bills to withdraw them from the House of Representatives agenda to reduce political tension.

"In my opinion, the [fate of] the reconciliation bills will determine how long the government remains in power. We'll see on August 1. I personally think the government faces some obstacles, but we should try to support the administration so it can last four years. I think it will certainly make it until the end of the term," he said.

The Speaker added that whether Thai politics heats up again after the parliamentary session opens, as predicted by some former Thai Rak Thai party members, would depend on individual politicians' behaviour.

Somsak said he believed the four reconciliation bills awaiting their first reading when the next parliamentary session begins on August 1 should first be withdrawn.

The bills should be pulled pending public hearings on reconciliation measures as suggested by King Prajadhipok's Institute, he said. If the sponsors of the bills agree to withdraw the drafts, the parliamentarians could move other issues up the agenda and discuss them first.

The four bills were sponsored by Matubhum Party leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and Pheu Thai Party MPs.

Somsak said he raised the suggestion with Sonthi but the Matubhum leader, who headed a special House committee on reconciliation measures, had yet to make a decision.

Somsak said he would also raise the issue with Pheu Thai's strategic committee.

Deputy Agriculture Minister and red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua, who proposed one of the bills, said he agreed that Pheu Thai needed to consider the issue carefully. The Democrats are ready to seize on any issue and point them out to agencies to scrutinise Pheu Thai, he said.

On the progress of the Constitution amendment, Somsak said that if the Constitution Court in early July rules that the legislation does not violate the charter, he would put the issue on the agenda. However, he would not open an extraordinary session of Parliament.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

"In my opinion, the [fate of] the reconciliation bills will determine how long the government remains in power. We'll see on August 1. I personally think the government faces some obstacles, but we should try to support the administration so it can last four years. I think it will certainly make it until the end of the term," he said.

Idealism, party philosophy, good of the country? Think again:

"we should try to support the administration so it can last four years"

Idealism, party philosophy, good of the country? Think again:

"we should try to support the administration so it can last four years"

You could also read that as the speaker saying....................we need to save the government from itself coffee1.gif

• Like 1

House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said yesterday that he would ask the sponsors of the reconciliation bills to withdraw them from the House of Representatives agenda to reduce political tension

that's going to displease the Red Shirts... :unsure:

The change in policy by the speaker is odd. Surely he's not breaking ranks with the PT party, whose policy is to bring Thaksin back (and put mega bucks in his pockets) as soon as possible. I doubt he made the decision because it's the sensible thing to do (plus, it might enable politicians to focus a bit on helping the Thai people). Methinks there are shady reasons why he made that announcement, because shady politics is all that PT knows how to do.

Red shirt votes cost 500 baht each, maybe inflation now makes it 1000 baht. Make merit with money. The Thaksin way

my hilltribe friends up here in northernmost Thailand just sold their votes to PT Reds for Bt.150 each, last month. You're right, however, Bt.500 was paid to pu yai ban (village headman) for each vote, so he pocketed Bt.350 per vote. He just put a down payment on a shiny new SUV.

Why do I think this speaker will soon be collecting unemployment insurance?

I agree with him, but cannot see it happening

Too many wanke_rs want the biggest wanke_r to return

This bill was threatening his job in other ways too :

http://www.thaivisa....eachment-drive/

Behind the scenes there is a flurry of motion, like a swans feet underwater while we see the swan gliding along serenely above the surface. I am guessing that PTP and Somsak know the potentially detrimental to their own interests outcomes of pushing this bill through right now, and especially as forcefully as they tried to.

Pulling the bill now potentially saves his job, and gives PTP more plotting time for their next scam, while they try to butter-up the electorate and offer a rebranded bill later in the year.

The sad part is that the PTP's Thaksin bill and the ensuing back-and-forth nonsense are wasting valuable parliamentary time that should have been used by PTP to put through infrastructure improvement, poverty eradication and anti-corruption bills etc.

Ultimately history may well judge PTP and Yingluck Shinawatra not on what they did in office, but on all the things that they did not do.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

This bill was threatening his job in other ways too :

http://www.thaivisa....eachment-drive/

Behind the scenes there is a flurry of motion, like a swans feet underwater while we see the swan gliding along serenely above the surface. I am guessing that PTP and Somsak know the potentially detrimental to their own interests outcomes of pushing this bill through right now, and especially as forcefully as they tried to.

Pulling the bill now potentially saves his job, and gives PTP more plotting time for their next scam, while they try to butter-up the electorate and offer a rebranded bill later in the year.

The sad part is that the Thaksin bill and the ensuing back-and-forth nonsense are wasting valuable parliamentary time that should have been used by PTP to put through infrastructure improvement and anti-corruption bills etc.

Ultimately history may well judge PTP and Yingluck Shinawatra not on what they did in office, but on all the things that they did not do.

ermm.gif

Well, it is pretty easy to answer your last line, especially about Yingluck. We will be judged on things she did not do only....Nothing else to judge, and certainly not her accomplishment

• Like 1

The change in policy by the speaker is odd. Surely he's not breaking ranks with the PT party, whose policy is to bring Thaksin back (and put mega bucks in his pockets) as soon as possible. I doubt he made the decision because it's the sensible thing to do (plus, it might enable politicians to focus a bit on helping the Thai people). Methinks there are shady reasons why he made that announcement, because shady politics is all that PT knows how to do.

Red shirt votes cost 500 baht each, maybe inflation now makes it 1000 baht. Make merit with money. The Thaksin way

my hilltribe friends up here in northernmost Thailand just sold their votes to PT Reds for Bt.150 each, last month. You're right, however, Bt.500 was paid to pu yai ban (village headman) for each vote, so he pocketed Bt.350 per vote. He just put a down payment on a shiny new SUV.

Can you tell us what these votes are for? Do you think that the PTP are saving them up for a rainy day, or are they just banking on the votes going the right way in 3 years time?

Can you tell us what these votes are for? Do you think that the PTP are saving them up for a rainy day, or are they just banking on the votes going the right way in 3 years time?

Maybe you didn't understand my post. The payments were given directly to the pu yai ban by Reds and/or PT party reps. He, then passed 30% on directly to the voters who voted as they were told. It all happened in real time. The money was given to voters a half hour before they voted. The election was one month ago. Several people have told me the same scenario. It's just some added money for the local yokals, each time there's an election. No big deal. They think it's as normal as putting socks on before shoes (though most don't even own shoes, just flip flops).

Sad commentary - on how ordinary Thai people know so little about what democracy is.

Reds never even try to educate Thais on what democracy is. The peons just get paid to go on buses to the big city, scream 'democracy!' for 8 weeks while trashing downtown, then leave with dead bodies and burning buildings in their wake.

Guess who the master manipulator is.

Edited by maidu

Maybe you didn't understand my post. The payments were given directly to the pu yai ban by Reds and/or PT party reps. He, then passed 30% on directly to the voters who voted as they were told. It all happened in real time. The money was given to voters a half hour before they voted. The election was one month ago. Several people have told me the same scenario. It's just some added money for the local yokals, each time there's an election. No big deal. They think it's as normal as putting socks on before shoes (though most don't even own shoes, just flip flops).

Sad commentary - on how ordinary Thai people know so little about what democracy is.

Reds never even try to educate Thais on what democracy is. The peons just get paid to go on buses to the big city, scream 'democracy!' for 8 weeks while trashing downtown, then leave with dead bodies and burning buildings in their wake.

Guess who the master manipulator is.

Thanks for clearing that up, forgot the local elections.

Edit to add - It seems like it didn't work too well seeing that the Wanchai Pattana party got 23 out of the 24 seats available in Chiang Rai...................

Edited by phiphidon

The other paper has an article this morning that highlights some of the disgruntlement against the House Speaker from Pheu Thai Party MP's AKA "wanke_rs", over his announcement recommending the withdrawal of the reconciliation bills.

The Pheu Thai MP that submitted one of the four reconciliation bills, Chiang Rai PTP MP Samart Kaewmeechai,

384.jpg

(his official Parliament public photo)

said there was no need to withdraw the proposals and that the Pheu Thai Party MP House Speaker had to clarify why they did.

Edited by Buchholz

The return of the roi sip-et might have some bearing on how things pan out from August 1st. They certainly won't want to jump back into politics only to be turfed out on their ears for crimes offensive to the constitution.

There is also a possibility that they don't like the red direction that the born-again and again TRT has wandered down.

• Like 1

The return of the roi sip-et might have some bearing on how things pan out from August 1st. They certainly won't want to jump back into politics only to be turfed out on their ears for crimes offensive to the constitution.

There is also a possibility that they don't like the red direction that the born-again and again TRT has wandered down.

I can feel a new party in the making, followed by house dissolution and new elections.

I can feel a new party in the making, followed by house dissolution and new elections.

New elections? I don't think so. I just can't imagine the mess it would be.

This scenario is where all the smart money is heading

Deputy Agriculture Minister and red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua, who proposed one of the bills, said he agreed that Pheu Thai needed to consider the issue carefully. The Democrats are ready to seize on any issue and point them out to agencies to scrutinise Pheu Thai, he said

I realize that Natthawut is new to government, but as a long time crusader for "democracy"he should understand that oversight, checks and balances are what make democracy work. The opposition are entitled to dislike the policies of government, especially this government.

Sonthi will not withdraw reconciliation bill - for now

BANGKOK: -- Matubhum Party leader Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin insisted Friday that he would go on sponsoring his version of national reconciliation bill.

Sonthi said he would not withdraw the bill from the House agenda unless opinion surveys found that the bill should be pulled out.

Sonthi was commenting on proposal of House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranon that the Mathubhum leader and Pheu Thai MPs should withdraw their reconciliation bills or the country would plunge deeper into political crisis.

The four national reconciliation bills sponsored by Sonthi and his group and by Pheu Thai MPs have been put on top of the House agenda and would be the first bills to be deliberated after Parliament convenes the next parliamentary session on August 1.

Sonthi said he regarded that his bill would not cause political conflicts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

New elections? I don't think so. I just can't imagine the mess it would be.

If (repeat if) all of this did spark the generation of a new party / parties which had serious credibility in terms of both people and policies, the ability and desire to debate serious isues with logic and long-term policies which are aimed very strongly at the development of Thailand for all Thais, etc., and with serious and detailed debate of a process to regain respect for the law and equal application of the law, and which somehow killed the 'family connection / family ownership' then maybe that could be progress. But not holding my breath.

But what would also be needed (is desperately needed regardless) is a rebuilding of the electoral commission with much better definitions of what is and what is not vote buying, better capabilities and credibility in the actual commissioners, plus much harsher punishments for any vote buying and other electoral transgressions.

Sorry, I must have been dreaming..

Edited by scorecard

House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said yesterday that he would ask the sponsors of the reconciliation bills to withdraw them from the House of Representatives agenda to reduce political tension

that's going to displease the Red Shirts... unsure.png

that doesn't matter, but it may displease a Montenegrin in Dubai.

There are a lot rumors that many in PTP don't want that Thaksin comes back, as Yingluck is sharing the profit fair, while Thaksin is taking most himself and will replace most with the ex-banned 111.

As well it is rumored that Yingluck starts to like her job.

So everyone in government tries to delay and find excuses......

While of course these who aren't direct at the feeding trough are trying to push for a change.

Not sure if true but seems to be possible. Also considering how they did not decide for (or against) the NASA would fit into that picture.

BANGKOK: -- Matubhum Party leader Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin insisted Friday that he would go on sponsoring his version of national reconciliation bill.

Sonthi said he would not withdraw the bill from the House agenda unless opinion surveys found that the bill should be pulled out.

Sonthi was commenting on proposal of House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranon that the Mathubhum leader and Pheu Thai MPs should withdraw their reconciliation bills or the country would plunge deeper into political crisis.

The four national reconciliation bills sponsored by Sonthi and his group and by Pheu Thai MPs have been put on top of the House agenda and would be the first bills to be deliberated after Parliament convenes the next parliamentary session on August 1.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

I guess he did that so that there will be another coup.

And this time, he can say, I didn't do it (this time).

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

I guess he did that so that there will be another coup.

And this time, he can say, I didn't do it (this time).

No he did that because Thaksin paid him.

Yes, it's possible that many of the 111 could join a new party in preparation for PT's possible dissolution. Over a 100 PT members could be banned (all of those who signed the bill). But it needs to be done before house dissolution, or they won't be able to run in the election afaik.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

That last line gives a window on how the man thinks. For starters, all three bills are nearly identical. Any of the three, if passed, would enable T to return without facing the concequences of his mis-deeds, and quite possibly put 46 billion (plus %?) in to his overseas bank accounts.

Looking at the past month's shenanigans, one can draw a conclusion regarding the 'reconciliation bills.'

>>>> If they're on the agenda, there will be street protests and other problems.

>>>> if the bills are off the agenda, things will be relatively ok.

Sonthi is dead wrong if he said his bill would not cause political conflicts. The opposite is true.

Every Country that has a democratic party in power has many problems, too bad USA's military does not take over their dumborats in a coup, they could form a skirmish line in the north and sweep all the illegal aliens south below the border where they belong!

Every Country that has a democratic party in power has many problems, too bad USA's military does not take over their dumborats in a coup, they could form a skirmish line in the north and sweep all the illegal aliens south below the border where they belong!

Actually it would have been their duty when they got the order to attack Iraq.