Problems Installing Mplab X Ide On Fedora 17 X86_64

Richard-BKK

you may want to describe the problems smile.png

-------edit-------

i didnt check in details but i guess they supply binaries only? as you're running x86_64 you'll need 32bit libraries and 32bit java on your machine, is fedora multilib?

-------edit-------

Edited by urandom

Found the problem, I had to install libstdc++.i686 also, was not listed in the orginal dependencies list.

The problem was we were unable to compile projects.... which can be very fustrating... Of course developers first think that they made a mistake and never think that maybe the software is the source of the problem...

Found the problem, I had to install libstdc++.i686 also, was not listed in the orginal dependencies list.

Now you tell me. I just finished doing a test install and run under OpenSUSE 12.1 with no problems. biggrin.png I use MPLAB but under windows but the install under Linux was straight forward.

Now you tell me. I just finished doing a test install and run under OpenSUSE 12.1 with no problems. biggrin.png I use MPLAB but under windows but the install under Linux was straight forward.

Cool, can I ask why you use MPLAB? And doesn't it run much slower on MS Windows? Or are you pulling my leg?:

Cool, can I ask why you use MPLAB? And doesn't it run much slower on MS Windows? Or are you pulling my leg?:

Not pulling your leg. I do a substantial amount of design, both hardware and software, and most are based around PIC micros. Several hundred designs and PIC programs done at the university. Actually I don't use the MPLAB IDE as most of my programming is through either PICBasic or Proton basic and sometimes a little C++ in the mix using Microcode Studio as the editing environment. That environment (Studio) calls up the MPASM part of MPLAB directly to compile the combined PICBasic and assembly code of my designs. Zero speed issues doing it the way I do it.

Not pulling your leg. I do a substantial amount of design, both hardware and software, and most are based around PIC micros. Several hundred designs and PIC programs done at the university. Actually I don't use the MPLAB IDE as most of my programming is through either PICBasic or Proton basic and sometimes a little C++ in the mix using Microcode Studio as the editing environment. That environment (Studio) calls up the MPASM part of MPLAB directly to compile the combined PICBasic and assembly code of my designs. Zero speed issues doing it the way I do it.

You say University, does that mean you also have students?

You say University, does that mean you also have students?

I do train some students in microcontroller applications but primarily I'm a researcher that makes the necessary intelligent tools/instruments to do my research and support for the other researchers and grad/undergrad students research projects.

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest, did you just install the IDE and tools or were you using external hardware (ICD, Pickit, etc.)? The last time I tried this the software worked OK under WINE, but I couldn't get it to detect any of the hardware (ICD2, Pickit2, Pickit3, Real ICE), which made it somewhat less than useful.

Just out of interest, did you just install the IDE and tools or were you using external hardware (ICD, Pickit, etc.)? The last time I tried this the software worked OK under WINE, but I couldn't get it to detect any of the hardware (ICD2, Pickit2, Pickit3, Real ICE), which made it somewhat less than useful.

I'm using external hardware, a Pickit2 hardware clone and the canned software/drivers for it. Specifically this one. All my PIC development is under Windows though and not sure how Wine will work with the PIC programmer hardware drivers. May give that a test also when I get to the office Monday to see.

I'm using external hardware, a Pickit2 hardware clone and the canned software/drivers for it. Specifically this one. All my PIC development is under Windows though and not sure how Wine will work with the PIC programmer hardware drivers. May give that a test also when I get to the office Monday to see.

Thinking about it, I've just realized that the testing I was doing was using MPLAB 8 rather than MPLAB X - the problem being that I was using some old legacy devices that MPLAB X doesn't support. I'm also pretty sure that MPLAB X doesn't support the ICD2 at all, even in the Windows version. It would still be interesting to see if you can get it to work correctly - and it's nice that Microchip are at least trying to support OSes other than Windows.