Carrying Passport With You

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In practise a drivers license is most times enough. Strictly speaking however not, as the drivers license doesn't show if you are legally or not in the country. And that is one of the things that can be checked. Having lived in a border area, police often wanted to see my passport and I doubt if they would have accepted a drivers license, as they specifically wanted to check if I was legally staying in Thailand or not.

Where I now live the border is far, far away and a drivers license is accpeted as ID.

• Like 1

In practise a drivers license is most times enough. Strictly speaking however not, as the drivers license doesn't show if you are legally or not in the country. And that is one of the things that can be checked. Having lived in a border area, police often wanted to see my passport and I doubt if they would have accepted a drivers license, as they specifically wanted to check if I was legally staying in Thailand or not.

Where I now live the border is far, far away and a drivers license is accpeted as ID.

But in most cases the five year Thai license issued to a farang also contains the bearers passport number which the Police could check via Immigration, if there was a concern. Yes I'm aware there are exceptions to this rule and yes I also know that there is no means of updating the license details as and when the passport is replaced.

I think the issue is one of legitimate ID even though I have been told the law specifies passport for foreigners.

I have been able to use a photocopy of the passport front page (cut down to size and folded into my wallet) successfully when asked for ID by BIB. I now don't even bother with that, just a Thai drivers license. It has my passport number on it, and I hope it will be enough if stopped by BIB or I am hauled unconscious into Emergency.

hi, in 13 years i live here, i never took any passport or ID with me, nobody ever asked me anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to take plane or bus I give my Thai drivers licence, where is the problem.

• Like 1

Okay, I’ll play the numbers game as well.wink.png

Hi, in more than 30 years in Bangkok and the last five or so in Chiang Rai I have never been asked to present my passport or been given any grief by the police. biggrin.png

I can beat that (draws big breath):

in more than 62 years of living in eight different countries and travelling in a myriad of others, I've never been asked to produce my passport as a means of identification, other than when arriving or departing from a foriegn country.

Any double or quits out there?

biggrin.png

I've been on holidays several times within Thailand, only ID I carried was my Thai driving license, always good for boarding aircraft, booking into hotels, and Thai price entry to Islands and Parks.

I have used my Thai drivers license many times to book in to hotels never a problem.

I had hotels refuse the Thai DL both times I have tried this. And the banks definitely won't do anything without a passport apart from very simple things like a withdrawl, but that was only with Thai DL, ATM Debit Card, and bank book.

I have never tried checking in for a local flight with my driving licence and wonder if they would accept it with my photo of 40 years ago which I hardly resemble any more ( I started driving at the age of 18). The licences of those days have no expiration date.

You got a Thai DL 40 years ago? shock1.gif

Edited by NomadJoe

I think the issue is one of legitimate ID even though I have been told the law specifies passport for foreigners.

I have been able to use a photocopy of the passport front page (cut down to size and folded into my wallet) successfully when asked for ID by BIB. I now don't even bother with that, just a Thai drivers license. It has my passport number on it, and I hope it will be enough if stopped by BIB or I am hauled unconscious into Emergency.

hi, in 13 years i live here, i never took any passport or ID with me, nobody ever asked me anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to take plane or bus I give my Thai drivers licence, where is the problem.

I think it's been established that despite the laws, it is very, very rare to be asked for your passport by police. Through countless checkpoints in Phuket and riding my bike all around southern Thailand for 11 years now I have never been asked. I have, however, been asked twice during visa runs when I was near the border. One was in a visa run van, the other was on a train where they also had a drug sniffing dog and asked to search my things. The smartly dressed Thai business man sharing my 1st class cabin was not checked or searched. The only other time I recall being asked for it was just over the border in Malaysia, which is a normal thing.

Hi, in more than 30 years in Bangkok and the last five or so in Chiang Rai I have never been asked to present my passport or been given any grief by the police. biggrin.png

in more than 62 years of living in eight different countries and travelling in a myriad of others, I've never been asked to produce my passport as a means of identification, other than when arriving or departing from a foriegn country.

biggrin.png

You don't look nearly old enough cm. :)

I think you win for sure.

biggrin.png

You're lucky. I'd hate to think how many times I've had to produce my passport upon request in various countries. Too many to remember. Russia was the worst. Never here in Thailand, but I always have a copy on me that includes my visa, laminated. If travelling away from home, I always have the original. Just not worth the hassle if you get caught without it!!!

Looking at the licence now I see that it was issued in 1974, which means that I must have used an international licence for the first two years. See the Thai number ๑๗ (17) near the top right? That's B.E. 2517, equals A.D. 1974. I'm sure some other ThaiVisa members got theirs even earlier.

post-21260-0-17024100-1341168857_thumb.j

You need to be able to access your original passport. Personally, I carry mine, in a holder, in my pocket next to my phone...

However, I have been stopped by police and asked for a passport before... Once in Japan when they were doing an immigration check for valid work visas at Roppongi station in the morning. And once in Spain, although that was because my dark-skinned cousin looked a bit too African and we hadn't taken our passports (to the beach) but we talked our way out of it with my rental car agreement and UK DL.

Personally, I would follow embassy advice on this. After all if they let people applying for a new passport use a photocopy because they're in Thailand, it suggests they are really unwilling to leave you without a passport.

Edited by bkk_mike

Looking at the licence now I see that it was issued in 1974, which means that I must have used an international licence for the first two years. See the Thai number ๑๗ (17) near the top right? That's B.E. 2517, equals A.D. 1974. I'm sure some other ThaiVisa members got theirs even earlier.

Well, I think you win!

Keep your passport locked up at times never carry it on you.Only bad thing is Tea money has gone up from 200 money to 500 baht.Small price to pay

Never had to pay any in 22 years. I have been checked (including a police raid for drugs in a discotheque a long time ago) and the DL was always good enough for the police.

\

It is indeed as valid ID accepted: your Thai driving license. I had never a problem with that but I don't know if this would be enough for the bank. No matter what you do in the bank you need your passport. It irks me... this is not an immigration checkpoint but a BANK!

Even domestic flights do not need more than your Thai driving license for boarding, which is credit-card sized and convenient for your wallet. I also heard that many motorbike renters or water scooter renters ask your passport... which I personally would NEVER give. I wonder if theThai driving license woud be enough for them?

No, IMO I think needing to produce your passport in the Bank is a good thing. The more pieces of ID the better for banking. The Thai DL's are much easier to counterfeit than a passport.

Hm. for transactions like withdrawal, the DL is sufficient. Just thinking, they do ask for the passport when opening an account.

I have never tried checking in for a local flight with my driving licence and wonder if they would accept it with my photo of 40 years ago which I hardly resemble any more ( I started driving at the age of 18). The licences of those days have no expiration date.

Try it. I never take my passport when flying only within Thailand. In the US, I used my European DL and they accepted it. (The TSA officer asked, "What is this, a driver's licence?" and he was satisfied when I confirmed.) Next time, I shall try my Thai DL over there. ;)

\

It is indeed as valid ID accepted: your Thai driving license. I had never a problem with that but I don't know if this would be enough for the bank. No matter what you do in the bank you need your passport. It irks me... this is not an immigration checkpoint but a BANK!

Even domestic flights do not need more than your Thai driving license for boarding, which is credit-card sized and convenient for your wallet. I also heard that many motorbike renters or water scooter renters ask your passport... which I personally would NEVER give. I wonder if theThai driving license woud be enough for them?

Even if the Thai driver's licence is enough for the car or motorbike renter - what do you do when the nice officer somewhere on the road says "licence and registration please"?

Without a valid passport any foreigner will get arrested. If you carry a copy of your passport (or perhaps a Thai drivers license), you will more likely have to pay a fine or tea money.

Never had to pay. Hm.

Try it. I never take my passport when flying only within Thailand. In the US, I used my European DL and they accepted it. (The TSA officer asked, "What is this, a driver's licence?" and he was satisfied when I confirmed.) Next time, I shall try my Thai DL over there. wink.png

I've heard the DL is fine for local flights. But I wouldn't leave home without my passport. I got stopped in Phuket while driving one time and the passport is what they wanted for collateral until I paid my bill! They might have accepted a DL, but didn't try it. I'd hate to be in Phuket or elsewhere without quick access to my documents.

Actually you likely had the one year licence; as I did. Changed to the more expensive lifetime version in 1970. Always good for a laugh when folks look at photo and at me today.

\

No, IMO I think needing to produce your passport in the Bank is a good thing. The more pieces of ID the better for banking. The Thai DL's are much easier to counterfeit than a passport.

Hm. for transactions like withdrawal, the DL is sufficient. Just thinking, they do ask for the passport when opening an account.

Not true anymore. Bangkok Bank were accepting my D.L. as I.D. because it has my photograph and passport details, but last year my Branch Manager at Seacon Square informed me that his head office had issued instructions to alll branches that the Thai Driving licence was not acceptable instead of passports. Since then I have had to produce my passport. The D.L. is not an I.D., although it can identify you, and it is issued by Thailand and is not the I.D. issued by the customer's own Country.

Not true anymore. Bangkok Bank were accepting my D.L. as I.D. because it has my photograph and passport details, but last year my Branch Manager at Seacon Square informed me that his head office had issued instructions to alll branches that the Thai Driving licence was not acceptable instead of passports. Since then I have had to produce my passport. The D.L. is not an I.D., although it can identify you, and it is issued by Thailand and is not the I.D. issued by the customer's own Country.

I find it a bit scary that a bank would allow someone to draw out large sums of money with only a Thai DL as back up to the bank book. I know the bank book has a hidden signature but one look at my signature and any 5 year old could copy it!!

I fly a lot from BKK to NST and only carry my Thai DL. Never had any problems using it as ID for domestic flights.

I carry my passport with me if I am going anywhere beyond the locality of my home. I just feel it's common sense

to be prepared if you are stopped at anytime. And I have been living here for 18 years. I was advised when I first arrived in 1994

that it is best to carry it with you, or a signed copy. I wasn't told of any law, only passed on advice from others here before me.

Try it. I never take my passport when flying only within Thailand. In the US, I used my European DL and they accepted it. (The TSA officer asked, "What is this, a driver's licence?" and he was satisfied when I confirmed.) Next time, I shall try my Thai DL over there. wink.png

I've heard the DL is fine for local flights. But I wouldn't leave home without my passport. I got stopped in Phuket while driving one time and the passport is what they wanted for collateral until I paid my bill! They might have accepted a DL, but didn't try it. I'd hate to be in Phuket or elsewhere without quick access to my documents.

That‘s why I wouldn‘t give them my passport. :)

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

I find it a bit scary that a bank would allow someone to draw out large sums of money with only a Thai DL as back up to the bank book. I know the bank book has a hidden signature but one look at my signature and any 5 year old could copy it!!

I fly a lot from BKK to NST and only carry my Thai DL. Never had any problems using it as ID for domestic flights.

Just for testing purposes, I will try and transfer some money using my DL only as soon as I get back to Thailand.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

As some have pointed out in this thread having a copy of your passport will in most times be sufficient to satisfy most government officials requirements.

I just want to say Maestro that I am a new boy on the block only been here 25 years and in this time have never been asked to present ID except in banks, immigration and employment.

Sadly due to the recent prevalence of certain illicit activities, as some have pointed out, Sukumvit road at any time of the day has become a hot area and people of all nationalities are being stopped and their identity is being checked. If you are in a suit or dressed smartly the chance is much smaller but if you look like you have been sleeping rough or have been hanging about a certain place or are heavily tattooed, expect to be asked to verify your Identity and that you have a valid visa.

For the past month, several different Immigration divisions have been holding raids in the Sukumvit and other high traffic areas and have been arresting as many as 20 people per night for NOT carrying their passports. If you are arrested without documentation you will be asked to have your passport with a valid visa presented to the arresting officer, his nominee or a competent official to verify your right to be in Thailand.

I have seen a number of not so happy people of various origins get a nice cell till someone else brings in their passport and have helped several Filipinos friends get their passport from unusual places and present it to the police.

So don't carry your passport if you don't want to, but ensure it is readily available for inspection at all times!

I and several others were checked while walking through CNX airport a few years ago and only had a copy. The officer refused to look at it but he did take my drivers license and my wife's ID card away for quite a while. It was not a pleasant experience and he told me that I must carry the original per the law.

You may get on the flight using a drivers license but the place you stay at, hotel, guest house or even privat recidense, at your destination are required by law to send your passport information (expiry date, visa type, TM number...) to the local police or immigration.