Architectural Highlights Of Cm?

junglechef

My sister-in-law, who is an architect in US, is coming for her first ever visit to S.E. Asia and is interested in seeing some of the areas best architecture. She mentioned temples, as if that isn't a loaded request (she is planning a side trip to Angor Wat). Looking for suggestions of favorites and must sees of any buildings etc. that can be seen in a few days here.

One of my favourites is Wat Ton Kwen on the way to Hang Dong / Samoeng.

Also the chedi at Wat Jed Yot.

Wat Haripunchai another favourite.

Also the temple next to Wat Chedi Luang - can't remember name (begins with a "p" ?)

Everything pales alongside Angkor Wat ... an amazing place! Photo of Angkor Thom >

AWtree.JPG

Chedi Luang is my favourite temple site in CM.

Some people like the Marble temple of Chiang Rai although I think it's over-the-top touristy.

CM's newest hospital is a pretty good example of modern architecture with it's wave-form roof >

New%2520Hospital.JPG

I would recommend a visit to CM's Mandarin Oriental - http://www.mandarinoriental.com/chiangmai/

Built in old Lanna style the architecture is superb and workmanship quite extraordinary. Spread over 60 acres of manicured gardens it is worth a visit and if you ask nicely, they'll give a guided tour by horse and buggy.

MH5.JPG

Wiang Kum Kam? You will probably be showing her some temples... (which can be quite nice for a first time visitor.)

Seriously now, Europe would be a much better place to discover architectural wonders.

Edit: If I was an architect I would enjoy seeing some of the Sino - Portuguese architecture found in old Phuket Town. I love seeing them when I go there. But I would NOT recommend a visit to Phuket to anyone! 20 years ago the place was wonderful. It is a shame what it has become.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

One of my favourites is Wat Ton Kwen on the way to Hang Dong / Samoeng.

Also the chedi at Wat Jed Yot.

Wat Haripunchai another favourite.

Also the temple next to Wat Chedi Luang - can't remember name (begins with a "p" ?)

Wat Pun Tao.

Wiang Kum Kam? You will probably be showing her some temples... (which can be quite nice for a first time visitor.)

Seriously now, Europe would be a much better place to discover architectural wonders.

Edit: If I was an architect I would enjoy seeing some of the Sino - Portuguese architecture found in old Phuket Town. I love seeing them when I go there. But I would NOT recommend a visit to Phuket to anyone! 20 years ago the place was wonderful. It is a shame what it has become.

Penang is an architectural gem of Malaysia and South East Asia.

Penang is an architectural gem of Malaysia and South East Asia.

I've not been but would enjoy seeing it one of these days.

I guess you're mostly looking at temples, as they're the most interesting/different architecturally. There are some other buildings that I like, some larger wooden commercial and residential ones, and I also like the architecture of the old Provincial Hall, wich is now the Chiang Mai City Arts and Culture Museum at the Three King's monument. It has a nice design with breeze corridors, and an inside courtyard.

Most nice older buildings aren't kept in a state to fully appreciate them, but there are some exceptions, like the Raming Tea House:

1.1300095833.2_raming-tea-house.jpg

thetrippacker_chiang_mai_ra_ming_tea_house_siam_celadon_n_005.jpg

There are many like that, but few that you can easily appreciate, especially on the inside.

One of my favorites is this one:

post-64232-0-16232800-1341049764_thumb.j

But there are several more; mostly along Thapae Road, along the river downtown, and some inside the moat. And some of the hotel architecture is impressive, the Oriental Dhara Dhevi has been mentioned (see if you can do the tour around the grounds), I think The Chedi deserves a mention for modern architecture, and blending the old with the new, and some boutique hotels inside the moat area are nice too, like Tamarind Village, and several others.

DSC_0535.JPG

And U-Chiang Mai: http://www.pantip.co.../E11301613.html

But it's not only the extreme high-end; I see funky designs appear all over, take this Bed & Breakfast place, which is around the 1000 Baht / night mark:

escaperoute_415_6_0.jpg?1322109170

And the coffee shop next door:

thetrippacker_chiang_mai_gordchiangmai_n_031.jpg

JWOS2h1GDM.jpg

So these are actually really exciting times for Chiang Mai, and another example of how the city just keeps improving also through new and interesting takes on style and architecture, and mixing the old with the new.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

BTW I would be interested to read your sister in law's take on architecture in Chiang Mai after she visits. Perhaps you do a bit of a summary of her thoughts, or perhaps even some pictures of things she found interesting? It's not like visiting Venice and finding amazing architecture all over the place (mild understatement. ;) ), you have to hunt for it a bit and explore, but then I'm interested to hear what she finds.

I guess you're mostly looking at temples, as they're the most interesting/different architecturally. There are some other buildings that I like, some larger wooden commercial and residential ones, and I also like the architecture of the old Provincial Hall, wich is now the Chiang Mai City Arts and Culture Museum at the Three King's monument. It has a nice design with breeze corridors, and an inside courtyard.

Most nice older buildings aren't kept in a state to fully appreciate them, but there are some exceptions, like the Raming Tea House:

1.1300095833.2_raming-tea-house.jpg

thetrippacker_chiang_mai_ra_ming_tea_house_siam_celadon_n_005.jpg

There are many like that, but few that you can easily appreciate, especially on the inside.

One of my favorites is this one:

post-64232-0-16232800-1341049764_thumb.j

But there are several more; mostly along Thapae Road, along the river downtown, and some inside the moat. And some of the hotel architecture is impressive, the Oriental Dhara Dhevi has been mentioned (see if you can do the tour around the grounds), I think The Chedi deserves a mention for modern architecture, and blending the old with the new, and some boutique hotels inside the moat area are nice too, like Tamarind Village, and several others.

DSC_0535.JPG

And U-Chiang Mai: http://www.pantip.co.../E11301613.html

But it's not only the extreme high-end; I see funky designs appear all over, take this Bed & Breakfast place, which is around the 1000 Baht / night mark:

escaperoute_415_6_0.jpg?1322109170

And the coffee shop next door:

thetrippacker_chiang_mai_gordchiangmai_n_031.jpg

JWOS2h1GDM.jpg

So these are actually really exciting times for Chiang Mai, and another example of how the city just keeps improving also through new and interesting takes on style and architecture, and mixing the old with the new.

I believe the Raming Tea House: is over 100 years old.

Can't say much for the food but it is a delightful garden to have a spot of tea or a bite to eat in. A very refreshing hide away

on Thai Pai road.

If going to Angkor Wat allow at least two days for touring.

It is a area 70 square Kilometers in size with temples all over it.

Of course there is the big one that is the largest religious building in the world.

Borobudur in Central Java, Indonesia is the biggest buddhist temple in the world.. and Angkor Wat is the biggest buddhist estate in the world.. with a lot of temples in one huge area.. Borobudur is just one temple..

• 3 weeks later...