• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

200 for 9 after 50.

Hussey 70; Finn 4/37.

Probably not enough, though if the 5 Aussie seam bowlers can get the ball to move around a bit; who knows?

Any chance of rain. It has saved them previously from the dreaded 5/0

I was looking for a Match Report or a highlights reel and came across this ... thumbsup.gif

Excellent match wrap through a series of videos produced by the ICC cricket highlights.

Australia 200/9 (50 ov)

England 201/2 (47.5 ov)

England won by 8 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)

Steven Finn’s four-wicket haul laid the platform for England’s eight-wicket win over Australia in the fourth One-Day International on Saturday. England, set a modest 201 for victory, finished on 201 for two with 13 balls remaining to win the series, going 3-0 up in the five-match contest after Wednesday’s clash in Birmingham was washed out.

post-104736-0-17414400-1341695387_thumb.

The Australian batsmen struggled to get runs on the board, despite starting with Shane Watson and David Warner, both big hitters of the ball. Warner (2) struggled for 19 balls before becoming the first wicket to fall in the sixth over, bowled by Finn. Finn then sent back Peter Forrest off the very next delivery to leave Australia tottering at six for two.

More

^^ All credit to you guys (Poms) as you are playing a far better brand of Cricket on your home turf.

Clearly our batting line-up struggles under the seaming / swinging ball.

I know we had some injuries to the bowling attack last night, but did the Australian bowlers adapt to the local conditions?

Produce any amount of swing?

^^ All credit to you guys (Poms) as you are playing a far better brand of Cricket on your home turf.

Clearly our batting line-up struggles under the seaming / swinging ball.

I know we had some injuries to the bowling attack last night, but did the Australian bowlers adapt to the local conditions?

Produce any amount of swing?

What you say about swing is true but theres a lot more to the results than swing. Its a sizeable gulf in ability. Not the huge gulf that existed when you were hammering us 5-0 and that arrogant egotistical knob McGrath was permanently rubbing it in infront of the media but there is a gap, in every department, but the home conditions increase the gap.

Fact is, England won yesterday without celebration and didn't break sweat. Strange times indeed!

I am only young but this has to be the worst Australia side I have seen. Obviously, I have seen us beat them before but only through a combination of blood, sweat and tears.

This series has been too easy. I think these Aussies would struggle against the (soon to be formed) Thailand ladyboys team.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

I am only young but this has to be the worst Australia side I have seen. Obviously, I have seen us beat them before but only through a combination of blood, sweat and tears.

This series has been too easy. I think these Aussies would struggle against the (soon to be formed) Thailand ladyboys team.

They always used to makes their transitions so well that there never seemed to be a new inexperienced team.

I think its rather unfair to England suggesting Australia are that bad but there is a combination. What i don't see anymore is the winning manner, the consumate arrogance they had. I didn't like it but thats what is built up through being at the top for so long. This touring side just doesn't look like they are up for it.

There were some big reputations (Warner, Pattinson, McKay, Cummins and Wade in particular) coming into this series.

To have read some of the bluster from the Aussies in the UK press before the series, this was a side that was going to send England a real message before next years Ashes.

Instead it's shown the Aussie to be a frail side mentally, technically and physically.

We heard how Warner was going to send the ball to all parts, how Cummins, Pattinson, McKay and a new improved Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus were going to work our top order over, none of which has come to pass.

All that has happened is that England have been handed a huge mental advantage over the Aussies ahead of the Ashes in 2013 to such an extent that I feel it will be as one sided as it was in 2010/11 down under.

I was a little concerned by the lack of fringe players on show since Dernbach was injured.

I hope England don't make the same mistakes as the Aussies did in not blooding young players in place of fading stars in a winning side.

Over the next 6 months I'd like to see the likes of Ben Stokes, Simon Kerrigan, Alex Hales, James Taylor, Jason Roy, Scott Borthwick, Jonny Bairstow and Danny Briggs all playing in full international level cricket even if it's just at T20 level.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

When a team included the pie throwing Xavier Doherty, and Super Mithcell Johnson, then you know they are struggling. I had heard a lot about the new bowling attack, Cummins, Pattinson et al, very mediocre IMO and would struggle in their own conditions. There certainly is no improvement from the bowling that England destroyed in the last Ashes, in fact it looks even more fragile. David Warner was giving it the big one at the beginning, and has pretty much failed. Only Watson, Lee and Clarke look like causing problems for England. Anyway, going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts, as us Poms had to put up with being reguarly hammered by the Aussies for 16 years.

As The Guardian summed up today, "beating Australia is routine".

For me, on an individual basis the failure of David Warner is the biggest disappointment.

When he's in reminded me of Adam Gilchrist with his free style stroke making.

Haven't seen much of the Aussie Bowlers to comment.

For me, on an individual basis the failure of David Warner is the biggest disappointment.

When he's in reminded me of Adam Gilchrist with his free style stroke making.

Haven't seen much of the Aussie Bowlers to comment.

I don't mean to be picky here but 'reminds you of Adam Gilchrist" is a rather huge statement. He was a once in a generation player or maybe thats an understatement. And to come in at seven in a test side was totally demoralising to other teams. He could destroy any bowling attack in any conditions.

i don't see any of this lot anywhere near his level i'm afraid, nor will they ever be.

Referring to the above ^^

David Warner blows India away at the WACA

036782-warner-sharma.jpg

Getting heated: Umpire Aleem Dar comes between Ishant Sharma and David Warner as they have words. Picture: Phil Hillyard Source: The Daily Telegraph

DAVID Warner last night uncorked one of the most amazing centuries in Test history then took aim at India for their provocative sledging and lack of fight.

"In my mind they have bowled over already," was Warner's candid assessment of India's feeble performance.

Cyclone David became the first Australian batsman in five years to score a century in a session when he ripped a hundred off just 69 balls from an Indian attack who felt as if they had been cornered in a Twenty20 slogfest on day one of the third Test at the WACA.

Only Viv Richards (56), Adam Gilchrist (57) and Jack Gregory (67) have gone quicker and Warner brought back memories off Doug Walters' six-for-a-century when he bounded from 95 to 101 with a mighty six over midwicket.

more

Jamie Pandaram and Robert Craddock

The Daily Telegraph

To be fair, I don't think David48 was comparing Warner to Gilly.

It's ok to do it against an average bowling attack at the WACA

and in yipee 20/20.

It's another thing to do it over a long period against all attacks and

on all wickets.

Agreed, Gilly was a "once in a generation player" along with Warney.

Whereas Gilly and Warney (IMO) would be picked in a "best ever" test

side, Ponting would be the only one in this team that would be "considered"

for a best Australian 12.

We haven't got a decent spinner, our young fast bowlers seem injury prone

and apart from Watson, you can just about forget the batting.

We're in for a world of pain with the upcoming Ashes series.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

The above was in a Test Match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOKukUS2ns

2nd Inning Outstanding Batting by David Warner

This was in the shorter version of the game.

Nice to know that a couple of knocks can define an entire career! Come on!

I don't think David made any comparisons between (or even mentioned) their respective careers. He just said he has a similar batting style (or at least one that reminds him of Ghilcrist).

People watching me bat have said my batting style reminds them of Geoffrey Boycott, although our cricketing careers are obviously not comparable (and I don't beat my wife).

• Like 1

I don't think David made any comparisons between (or even mentioned) their respective careers. He just said he has a similar batting style (or at least one that reminds him of Ghilcrist).

People watching me bat have said my batting style reminds them of Geoffrey Boycott, although our cricketing careers are obviously not comparable (and I don't beat my wife).

Do you get run out a lot? biggrin.png

I rarely hit the ball beyond the infield so there wasn't much opportunity for running.

Also, I would like to make it (very) clear that I am not from Yorkshire.

To all the previous posters ... the last 10 or so ... seams (Cricketing Pun) like it's my round at the Pub ... drunk.gif

Just mention my name at your local and say that David48 said it's OK and 'on his tab' ... biggrin.png

Ales and beers only though ... none of that top shelf stuff mind you!

7by7 ... that even extends to you ... but tell anyone and you are dead meat ... can't be seen drinking with the mamagement ... giggle.gif

EDIT ... my <deleted> spelling ... ermm.gif

Edited by David48

People watching me bat have said my batting style reminds them of Geoffrey Boycott

Be fair, I don't recall Boycs being run out much.

Can't say the same for his partners, though!

David, I'll remove the mask and cape and turn up in my street clothes.

• Like 2

People watching me bat have said my batting style reminds them of Geoffrey Boycott

I was referring to the legendary occasion when Botham took a team decion to deliberately run out Boycott because they desperately needed to push the score along as opposed to watching Geofrey mantain his batting average!

I was referring to the legendary occasion when Botham took a team decion to deliberately run out Boycott because they desperately needed to push the score along as opposed to watching Geofrey mantain his batting average!

Botham tells some good stories

Well tonight is a Day/Nighter at Old Trafford according to 7by7's schedule.

Our, the Aussies, last chance for a while to get at least a little street cred.

Form is against us though ... ermm.gif

Is someone else can do the toss / weather / team selection, that would be great.

Tuesday night is squash night for me.

OH .. thanks for all those who sent in their 'Humble Pie' recipes.

I'm slowly working my way through them ... whistling.gif