Forum upgrade in progress! ×

For The Health Conscious Eater

seeker108

OK, time for me to let the cat out of the bag. A few months back I found a newly opened restaurant that for me was a real find. It had only been open a few weeks, but already it was doing a fairly booming business almost any time of day between 8:30 AM and 8 PM (the opening hours). After one meal I could see why. Food was fresh, excellent, vegetarian, healthy, organic and reasonably priced. Staff and owners extremely jai dee and accommodating to special requests. A very warm, casual family-like atmosphere. I started going almost every day at least once per day, which meant no longer eating at some my other usual haunts and even eating at home less. One thing I noticed was that I would see the same basic crowd of people almost every time I went and most of them were long-term tourists who just happened to live in that particular area. But it showed that those of us who had found the place kept coming back. I was out of town for two months and when I got back the same basic crowd was still coming!

Anyway, now most of those folks have recently moved on back home or to other parts of the globe and, it being low season, the crowds are finally thinner at my favorite eatery, so it now makes sense to let you all know about it. Until recently it was almost impossible to get a table or even a seat during anything like normal meal times, so I figured I would wait till the crowds thinned or until they somehow expanded.

The restaurant/ cafe is called Pun Pun Santitham and as the name implies it is in the Santitham area (just north of the YMCA). This is not to be confused with the Pun Pun restaurant which has been located in the Wat Suandok complex for the past few years. Both restaurants are primarily organic and vegetarian and are affiliated with the Pun Pun organic farm in Mai Tang but have independent ownership and different styles of food. The one at the temple is primarily Thai food whereas the one in Santitham has a much wider variety with excellent salads, juices, shakes, smoothies sandwiches and fusion cuisine. If you are near Wat Suandok, then you should check out the restaurant there if you are inclined toward Thai veggie food.

But this post is mainly about the Santitham location. It is a covered, open-air, non-smoking venue with lots of trees and plants and the building walls are pleasantly covered with a tan earth plaster giving an overall very natural and relaxed feeling. Thai food starts as little as 40 baht for a good sized bowl of herbal veggie organic rice soup. Great big organic salads range from 55 to 80 baht. Various international entrees with small salad range from about 80 to 120 baht with most around 90 baht. They also have teas and chai and coffee and some desserts. There is also a small shop where you can buy some fresh produce and some natural home and gift products.

Closed on Tuesdays.

I hope this gives you a good idea of this new and wonderful cafe. Feel free to ask if there is something I have missed. wai.gif

OK, here is one mobile number for them in case you can not find the place: 087 0116-599

If you do not know where the old YMCA is in the Santitham area, it is a few short blocks (about 200 meters) north of Kad Suan Kaew.

In the words of the immortal somebody or another "a picture is worth a thousand words". Descriptions that

give directions of just north of something or not far from something else really discourage me from trying

to find some place. Here in Thailand the sois run in all kinds of directions, terminate unexpectantly and even if you find the right one

you may or may not find signage that clearly identifies what you are looking for. I submit reviews to a number of vegetarian

websites of restaurants and the first and most helpful bit of information is a picture of the front of the restaurant preferably showing

what is on either side of it.

Have never been to the restaurant and would like to go there AND to get a picture to put on some of the websites. Checked the best

one of these sites and they did have the restaurant listed and did have couple of pictures- of two plates of food-that is going to help

a lot! They did have a map showing a maze of sois with some of them even showing the name of the soi, in Thai. Not that you're

going to find street signs down the sois to begin with. Predictably the YMCA is not on the map either.

• Like 1

"Anyway, now most of those folks have recently moved on back home or to other parts of the globe and, it being low season, the crowds are finally thinner at my favorite eatery, so it now makes sense to let you all know about it".

That's mighty magnanimous of you.......worried it might close and you'll lose out?

Will have to check it out sometime.

Ever since the couple from Narathiwat that managed the place inside Wat Suan Dok left after being there for years, and a new guy took over the management, the food is not nearly as good and portions are smaller.

In the words of the immortal somebody or another "a picture is worth a thousand words". Descriptions that

give directions of just north of something or not far from something else really discourage me from trying

to find some place. Here in Thailand the sois run in all kinds of directions, terminate unexpectantly and even if you find the right one

you may or may not find signage that clearly identifies what you are looking for. I submit reviews to a number of vegetarian

websites of restaurants and the first and most helpful bit of information is a picture of the front of the restaurant preferably showing

what is on either side of it.

Have never been to the restaurant and would like to go there AND to get a picture to put on some of the websites. Checked the best

one of these sites and they did have the restaurant listed and did have couple of pictures- of two plates of food-that is going to help

a lot! They did have a map showing a maze of sois with some of them even showing the name of the soi, in Thai. Not that you're

going to find street signs down the sois to begin with. Predictably the YMCA is not on the map either.

"Descriptions that give directions of just north of something or not far from something else really discourage me from trying

to find some place"

Here.....https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&hl=en&ll=18.800614,98.978177&spn=0.001559,0.003047&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=7.973389,24.960938&oq=chiang+&t=h&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.800705,98.978181&panoid=lFO54hTddfgMVbhXd3sn6g&cbp=12,226.52,,0,9.68

Love the one at the Wat, but this one is really a big disappointment. Last time had a rice salad which had bit of friend rice on the bottom and a few herbs and some raw nuts (I asked why they are raw as they are hard to digest and was told cause some of the customers eat raw but my dish had fried rice, this after being suggested a fried rice dish and I said I didn't want fried rice and was suggested the rice salad). Felt totally did not get my monies worth but worse was the first time had hummus and pita plate with not enough dip to cover a piece of small pita bread, that was it for something like 90 bht. Very nice ppl. but are missing the mark on most accounts. No value for mediocre food that is just confused.

• Like 1

Haven't been to the Santitham PunPun yet, so can't comment, but do enjoy the Wat Suan Dok branch, especially the pad thai.

It seems they are opening another restaurant behind CMU in the near future too.

Hi junglechef,

I am curious as to when you were there? Was it back in early March when they first opened? Or possibly in last 2 weeks when owners were not there much because of a family death? (during this time I did notice a slight decrease in portion size once or twice) Otherwise I am having a hard time believing that you are talking about the Pun Pun Santitham restaurant, though I guess you must be. In the months that I have been going there I and all other diners I have spoken with have always been impressed with and commented on the large portions and the value for money.

Love the one at the Wat, but this one is really a big disappointment. Last time had a rice salad which had bit of friend rice on the bottom and a few herbs and some raw nuts (I asked why they are raw as they are hard to digest and was told cause some of the customers eat raw but my dish had fried rice, this after being suggested a fried rice dish and I said I didn't want fried rice and was suggested the rice salad). Felt totally did not get my monies worth but worse was the first time had hummus and pita plate with not enough dip to cover a piece of small pita bread, that was it for something like 90 bht. Very nice ppl. but are missing the mark on most accounts. No value for mediocre food that is just confused.

Edited by onthedarkside
font/color reform back to standard

True the first time was soon after they opened and understanding how a restaurant can go thru growing pains I gave it another try around a month or so ago. Enjoyed myself as I saw a few tables of people I know including a few Thai women who eats there all the time. I like the setting, friendly staff who have good attitude etc. and realize all these elements are important to the over all dining experience but w/o the food being satisfactory as the backbone it doesn't work. I left both times and went looking for somewhere to eat, the first meal was barely an appetizer. But quantity is only one factor, important when considering value combined with the cost of the products, but what also didn't work for me was that they are trying to be healthy fusion and to be able to combine two or more cuisines takes an understanding of both, not just using ingredients of each, or having menu items from different places, as the results will end up as confusion not fusion. It really has the makings of a great place, good concept etc. but the meals are just incomplete, what I would consider a nice side dish but "where's the beef" if you know what I mean.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

As a matter of interest do you know what kind of fertilizers they use for the Organic produce?

I've heard that in the west it's often blood, fish guts, human, excrement and sweepings from the abattoir floor.

Or organic fertilizers of animal origin they call them.

Of course there are other methods. I just wondered how Pun Pun do it... Any idea?

• Like 1

As a matter of interest do you know what kind of fertilizers they use for the Organic produce?

I've heard that in the west it's often blood, fish guts, human, excrement and sweepings from the abattoir floor.

Of course there are other methods. I just wondered how Pun Pun do it... Any idea?

you can actually go to the pun pun farm and see how they do it.

what i can verify is Pun pun is supporting local farmers and giving them a fair price for their goods and labour

another reason apart from the restaurant side of things to go there,as well as the sugar free additive free peanut btter

• Like 1

you can actually go to the pun pun farm and see how they do it.

what i can verify is Pun pun is supporting local farmers and giving them a fair price for their goods and labour

another reason apart from the restaurant side of things to go there,as well as the sugar free additive free peanut btter

Thanks, I will. I know that you use non-animal derivative type methods yourself. I'm just trying to find out how widely those methods are applied.

Obviously, they're preferable for Vegans and Vegetarians. But we all have to eat at the end of the day so I wouldn't be put off by how they fertilize. I also put this post in the Organic section as you recommended. Let's see what they say. Maybe you should describe your methods there.

Wigantojapan do you have a farm? And if so do you sell to the general public? I dabble in organic farming, veg and fruit, make my own pesticides, hormone, fertilizer etc. but figure the water supply is very tainted as I am surrounded by rice paddies, some my own that we were told was organic rice by the previous grower but when I saw him literally using a bottle with skull and cross bones on the label his response to my "huh" was that it's organic and he only uses chemicals when he has to!! We do it ourselves now. Anyway we try and our stuff sure taste great (I'm a city boy so it's all new and fun). Recently added chickens and thinking about good food for them too, the shop said they are organic because we have a large hen house (240 sq. mt. for 10 birds) and the stress free environment is healthy (I guess healthy is organic as well as organic is healthy). If it's not all confusing enough - LOL. Anyways guess I'll check out the Organic forum too.

Recently added chickens and thinking about good food for them too, the shop said they are organic because we have a large hen house (240 sq. mt. for 10 birds) and the stress free environment is healthy (I guess healthy is organic as well as organic is healthy). If it's not all confusing enough - LOL. Anyways guess I'll check out the Organic forum too.

Are you serious?!

not sure what your asking about but it's all true, maybe you highlighted the coop dimensions? if so you'd not be the 1st to comment on it, been said it's bigger and perhaps better built than some of the houses around us, also told it could fit 200 layers, feel a bit guilty but once we were building (which incl. a mushroom house on back which adds more to the size) used Western thinking of doing it right and w/extra room for the future (mother-in-law -LOL). My birds are happy esp. when I scratch then behind the ears (also true) and lay some delicious eggs in thanks.

"Anyway, now most of those folks have recently moved on back home or to other parts of the globe and, it being low season, the crowds are finally thinner at my favorite eatery, so it now makes sense to let you all know about it".

That's mighty magnanimous of you.......worried it might close and you'll lose out?

My thought too. But i want it to stay open until I get there. Sounds good.

Hi junglechef,

Good post. Admittedly they are still learning as they grow. But one thing I have really appreciated is that they welcome feedback and use that feedback quickly if it is at all good. They have falafels which months ago were not the best but then someone gave them a better recipe and now they are great. The hummus however was still a weak item (lacking some of the usual spices and using jasmine rice oil rather than olive oil), but within a few days, when they get in their new supply of organic chick peas and make the next batch this should be great also. I also like that their menu seems to be constantly expanding as well as improving.

There is no doubt that if someone is not used to vegetarian food then they may not find this place is their cup of tea. Especially one could come away not feeling full if not used to eating mostly salad kinds of things. Their organic mixed fruit and veggie salad is quite big for 70 baht and makes me full because besides being loaded with many kinds of seasonal fruit and veggies it has seeds and if you don't mind a cooked item, also red beans and something like barley and corn, but others may still find it lacking. At 40 baht the rice veggie soup is very filling though not a meal in itself for most. Most should feel pretty full though if they choose the falafel sandwich with humus and side salad (95 baht).

They also have great shakes which will help round out your meal and can be made with milk or fresh coconut cream and while perhaps not the cheapest deal in town at 50 baht, it is a reasonably sized glass and most importantly delicious to my taste. I was addicted to the chocolate/mango/coconut cream for a while and then the cinnamon/coconut cream. The new coconut date is also nice with or without cinnamon and/or chocolate. Many other options or create your own blend and they will whip it up. smile.png

JC, you may want to give them one more shot. I wasn't there the first few weeks they were open so can't say, but still can't figure the small portion one month ago, even though some dishes are not quite as big as some others and I seem to recall that the humus and cashew pate dip plate may be one of those. If you want PM me and we can meet there one day. wai.gif

True the first time was soon after they opened and understanding how a restaurant can go thru growing pains I gave it another try around a month or so ago. Enjoyed myself as I saw a few tables of people I know including a few Thai women who eats there all the time. I like the setting, friendly staff who have good attitude etc. and realize all these elements are important to the over all dining experience but w/o the food being satisfactory as the backbone it doesn't work. I left both times and went looking for somewhere to eat, the first meal was barely an appetizer. But quantity is only one factor, important when considering value combined with the cost of the products, but what also didn't work for me was that they are trying to be healthy fusion and to be able to combine two or more cuisines takes an understanding of both, not just using ingredients of each, or having menu items from different places, as the results will end up as confusion not fusion. It really has the makings of a great place, good concept etc. but the meals are just incomplete, what I would consider a nice side dish but "where's the beef" if you know what I mean.

Edited by onthedarkside
Font/Color reformat

I went there one week after it's opening date and had outstanding food. I knew then that the place would get busy and resolved to tell nobody except friends who like vegetarian food! I thought the menu was varied and unique with some really good choices on it. The choice of drinks is different and excellent.

I've been back on regular occasions, although not for the last month. The last time i went there, for dinner whereas i normally go for lunch, it was too busy to have any!

I have been hoping to find a better choice of organic produce to buy in their shop bit, but as of my last visit it was still fairly limited.

But what an excellent place to have some food, and different food at that.

I started their three day cooking class at their farm the day after the santhitam restaurant opened, and knew about it because of that. I was there a day or two after finishing the cooking course. I can recommend the cooking course with no hesitation too.

Not many people live in places that have communities like the pun pun one. We are very lucky, and they are a top service to the society of chiang mai.

• Like 1

Live and learn. I didn't know we had an organic farming forum here on TV. biggrin.png I'll be checking it out when I have more time for the internet.

Re some supposed "organic" farmers here in Thailand using poisons, I heard from a Thai friend that this is sometimes the case. She knows well one lady who has her veggies sold at the CMU organic market near Nimmanhaemin and she uses poisons "only in the early stages of growing because otherwise they will get eaten by bugs". My friend says that this lady full well knows that it is wrong but is only doing "organic" for the money. Unfortunately I have not yet tracked down which stall it is that is selling her veggies.

Contaminated water shed here is another major problem in Chiang Mai. Too sleepy to search it now but seem to recall reading some quoted articles about it here on TV some 6 or 7 years back. Mostly from heavily sprayed oranges to the north of here as I recall.

Wigantojapan do you have a farm? And if so do you sell to the general public? I dabble in organic farming, veg and fruit, make my own pesticides, hormone, fertilizer etc. but figure the water supply is very tainted as I am surrounded by rice paddies, some my own that we were told was organic rice by the previous grower but when I saw him literally using a bottle with skull and cross bones on the label his response to my "huh" was that it's organic and he only uses chemicals when he has to!! We do it ourselves now. Anyway we try and our stuff sure taste great (I'm a city boy so it's all new and fun). Recently added chickens and thinking about good food for them too, the shop said they are organic because we have a large hen house (240 sq. mt. for 10 birds) and the stress free environment is healthy (I guess healthy is organic as well as organic is healthy). If it's not all confusing enough - LOL. Anyways guess I'll check out the Organic forum too.

Edited by onthedarkside
font/color reformatted

Live and learn. I didn't know we had an organic farming forum here on TV. biggrin.png I'll be checking it out when I have more time for the internet.

Re some supposed "organic" farmers here in Thailand using poisons, I heard from a Thai friend that this is sometimes the case. She knows well one lady who has her veggies sold at the CMU organic market near Nimmanhaemin and she uses poisons "only in the early stages of growing because otherwise they will get eaten by bugs". My friend says that this lady full well knows that it is wrong but is only doing "organic" for the money. Unfortunately I have not yet tracked down which stall it is that is selling her veggies.

Contaminated water shed here is another major problem in Chiang Mai. Too sleepy to search it now but seem to recall reading some quoted articles about it here on TV some 6 or 7 years back. Mostly from heavily sprayed oranges to the north of here as I recall.

t

There are a few farms/Garden farms around CM where one can easily visit them and talk to the owners.

Even better to stay a few days and participate.

I can mention the mindful farm information from namo yoga

If you have transport an easy 30 minute ride

we took a white song tao......20 minutes i think we paid 40 baht

google sangbo another farm near CM i havent been so cant comment

people are welcome to come visit my 1 rai garden and see and participate but i am 2and half hours away near Fang.

There are various standards of accommodation available

Its a pity that people are using the organic angle to deceive people but as we know they are ultimately deceiving themselves

In the mean time yes suport pun pun ask them questions,go visit their farm,they could do with the help i,m sure

The kings projest shop already mentioned had a wide variety of vegetables when i was there last week

anyone interested in a box scheme let me know

this will be for the future

i shall grow what people want

our water comes straight from the mountain.And we are the first village to receive the water.

check out jantaa posts on the organic section

you wont have time to eat ever again far less go to pun pun once you start reading some of his stuff haha

Thanks for the post.

Until I was 35 I have to say that I paid little attention to a healthy diet. But then my mother passed away and it made me really assess my lifestyle choices. So, for the last 7 years I have significantly improved my dietary intake.

I think there is an untapped market for a place like the one you have been so kind as to mention here. Like you said, if you have a feast there once a day, thereby making it a dietary staple, you and your health will be grateful in the long run! Thanks again and I will look forward to trying your recommended restaurant.

My pleasure VeryHansumMan. The other things that affect our health with regard to food are the quality of the environment in which we eat and the company in which we eat and the feeling that goes into the food from those preparing it. This place gets high marks on all counts. The people I see eating there tend to be very upbeat, gregarious, educated and health and environmentally conscious crowd. I think this, as much as the food is what keeps bringing me back. And even of those who were short term stay folks many were in the 40 to 60+ age range and everyone mingled and chatted and generally had a good time irrespective of age. As Wigantojapan said earlier maybe this kind of group is not to everyone's taste, but I for one enjoy the atmosphere.

For those who are concerned, I don't think there is any worry about this place closing any time soon, due to lack of business. They still do a fairly brisk business, but at least now there are not people standing and waiting for a seat to free up during the prime meal hours which was sometimes the case until a few weeks ago.

Enjoy all and look forward to seeing some of you there. wai.gif

Thanks for the post.

Until I was 35 I have to say that I paid little attention to a healthy diet. But then my mother passed away and it made me really assess my lifestyle choices. So, for the last 7 years I have significantly improved my dietary intake.

I think there is an untapped market for a place like the one you have been so kind as to mention here. Like you said, if you have a feast there once a day, thereby making it a dietary staple, you and your health will be grateful in the long run! Thanks again and I will look forward to trying your recommended restaurant.