Work As An Actor In Thailand

My friend asked me questions about Thai movie industry. She's an actress with some experience in movies, soaps, tv shows, etc and wants to move to Thailand and find similar work here. We would appreciate any info about contacts, agents, etc. Thanks!

Contact the large TV production companies like Work Point Entertainment, HubHoHin and others, for example. Also, there are plenty of modeling agencies around who commonly also have actors/actresses in their portolios, which they offer to clients. If you contact post production companies like Oriental Post, The Post Bangkok, and similar, they often also can direct you to casting agencies.

However, please note that your friend - as she's a foreigner - will need a work permit to be regularly employed. None of the agents/production companies will provide her with one.

Hope your friend doesn't expect to strike it right as an actress in Thailand, either. If she's not fluent in Thai, the best she can land is some extra work or a minor role where a "foreign antagonist" is needed. Hollywood productions filming in Thailand often need large numbers of foreigners as extras, but these are far and between and also just pay a pittance. The most lucrative work is for TV commercials, where you can easily earn 20,000 Baht in 2 days. But also don't forget that the agency usually keeps 20 to 30 % of that as their commission. Additionally, the remainder is subject to 3% withholding tax.

Edited by Misterwhisper

I've been doing occasional TV commercial work over the past two years and have never been asked for a work permit. Most jobs pay in cash.

Extra work pays about B2000 a day and it is usually a very long day starting at a 4 or 5 am pick-up point and often lasting past 6pm.

Rolls where you are featured in some way usually pay B6000-10,000 net. Any role where you are the principal can be B15,000-30,000+, sometimes much more depending on the customer and distribution.

Thailand production costs are very low, thus TV commercials for clients all over the world are made here. I have done ads for products in France, Poland, India, Afganistan, and Germany as well as Thailand to name a few.

Be prepared to go to many castings and costume fittings at your own expense. Sets are often way out in outlying areas with few comfort facilities. Very basic food is usually provided but nothing like western standards; days can be very hot and long.

There is a lot of competition, especially Eastern Europeans and Middle Eastern. They are usually willing to work for less and now dominate the "extra" biz.

There are many talent and modeling agencies and individual agents around Bangkok, some better than others and some who are total crooks.

If your friend PM's me, I will supply the names of a few agents that I have had good experiences with. She should have good photos. They don't care a lot about experience, just cost. With TV commercials, it really has little to do with acting ability; rather, it's whether or not you fit a certain "look" that the director has in mind.

Edited by dddave

I've been doing occasional TV commercial work over the past two years and have never been asked for a work permit. Most jobs pay in cash.

Extra work pays about B2000 a day and it is usually a very long day starting at a 4 or 5 am pick-up point and often lasting past 6pm.

Rolls where you are featured in some way usually pay B6000-10,000 net. Any role where you are the principal can be B15,000-30,000+, sometimes much more depending on the customer and distribution.

Thailand production costs are very low, thus TV commercials for clients all over the world are made here. I have done ads for products in France, Poland, India, Afganistan, and Germany as well as Thailand to name a few.

Be prepared to go to many castings and costume fittings at your own expense. Sets are often way out in outlying areas with few comfort facilities. Very basic food is usually provided but nothing like western standards; days can be very hot and long.

There is a lot of competition, especially Eastern Europeans and Middle Eastern. They are usually willing to work for less and now dominate the "extra" biz.

There are many talent and modeling agencies and individual agents around Bangkok, some better than others and some who are total crooks.

If your friend PM's me, I will supply the names of a few agents that I have had good experiences with. She should have good photos. They don't care a lot about experience, just cost. With TV commercials, it really has little to do with acting ability; rather, it's whether or not you fit a certain "look" that the director has in mind.

True, usually nobody asks for a work permit. That doesn't change the fact that you're basically working illegally as you're earning an income (however small). I've even heard of cases where the respective agency simply didn't pay the foreign TVC actor or actress and pocketed the entire amount, and there was nothing the actor/actress could do about it. If they had reported to the Labour Department, all that would've happened would have been a minor fee slapped on the agency for employing a foreigner illegally, while the actor/actress would have been arrested and deported. Sure, that isn't standard practice, but let it be known that engaging in this job with out a work permit IS illegal still.

Edited by Misterwhisper

CIS or ......stan-girls are taking over now and of course they work for less than farangs. More attractive and have better skin which is crucial in LOS.

They still employ farang men but usually in demeaning rolls which make us look like village idiots.

They hire alot of young farangs with muscles and tattoos from the backpacker or boxing ring places.

A friend of mine tried it once and spent 12 hours standing out in the heat in a French gendarme uniform.

No facilities, no nothing. Got 1,000 baht....big deal right ?

They dont usually ask for work permits which makes farangs vulnerable to a scam.