How Much Should I Expect To Pay To Rent A Shophouse In Chiang Mai?

IconicX

I am a 54 year old artist moving to Chiang Mai. I want to rent a shophouse to live and pursue my art on a professional level and to have a place to live. A good commericial location is not necessary as I will not be selling my art in Thailand. I will be working on 7' tall paintings for a future show in the US and constructing my own wood panels. I need a large enough space that I can create, paint and store these paintings. A residential home might do that has well lit rooms and a yard where can do some sanding. I want a shop house or live/work house because of easy accessibility to the work. I need to estimate my expenses and come up with a estimated budget. Any help is appreciated.

Lots of commercial type places will be unfurnished, no air-con units etc because the previous occupier will have fitted and paid for those items and will have removed them when moving on e.g. http://www.asiapropertyworld.com/properties/details-of-commercial-for-sale-rent-in-old-city-city-chiang-mai-9231 looks like it might be suitable for you at 15,000 a month but you will need to spend a chunk of cash making it habitable.

If you really want a shop house then perhaps the best bet is wander around your choosen area on foot with a Thai companion who can phone numbers stuck on the outside of units to rent. You will be spoilt for choice !

• Like 1

Hmmm! as an artist who sets up art studios in various exotic places for indefinite periods,

I'm really interested to see the response you get to your post.

Doing Art in Thailand is a bit of a grey area. Plenty of writers, photographers, painters and computer artists or online designers do their art here but they best not call it work as it might not be allowed. Maybe it's in order but you would probably need a work visa even if you only export to sell in the west, especially as you want to be quite open and upfront about it. A house is much more discreet than a shop front. You can easily find a place with a big yard and outside but covered area so you can work outside even when it rains....And what materials do you need or will you bring them?

Similar post in BKK forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/565093-artist-neighborhood-in-bkk/

RSVP Thai Visa...Winnie where are you??

Edited by TantraMantra

I don't know what your budget is but you might want to consider staying outside town. Starting from CM city center, prices drop almost exponentially as you move out. I'd have thought the peace and quiet of a countryside location would have been ideally suited to an artist, also.

But depends on you, I guess. Especially if you don't want to own a car and/or dislike a 45 minute drive to get to CM center. Otoh if you don't want to own a car and you're the adventurous type there's plenty cheap buses, taxis & motorcycle taxis to move around in.

Also depends if you prefer to be close to anemities - go out for meals and a few drinks regularly, or to stay around home and venture to town a few times a month.

Fwiw, my place costs me < $100/mo including electricity - it's a decent size 3 bedroom bungalow with a western bathroom and semi-western kitchen. I'm near Mae Taeng and I visit Mae Rim and CM 2 or 3 times a week - Mae Taeng's close enough to CM to not be a chore (but I have a car). There's lots of empty shophouses round here some (look) decrepit, some new. Priced around $150-$300 from what I can gather.

Anyway I'm sure you'll get lots more advice - what I'd say is don't jump at the first thing you see (or the first price).

• Like 1

Some shophouses aren't on major roads, and you could easily fit a regular sliding door and some curtains for privacy; then they can be used like any other house/building. You would probably one that has an extra half-floor level in front, giving you a very high ceiling in front.

• Like 1

2 bedroom 2 bathroom shop house in a quiet area just south of the airport

a few minutes to the airport and shopping, 10 minutes to the heart of town

2 units for rent in my neighborhood 6,000 Bt and 8,000 Bt.

Sounds about right.

• Like 1

Doing Art in Thailand is a bit of a grey area. Plenty of writers, photographers, painters and computer artists or online designers do their art here but they best not call it work as it might not be allowed. Maybe it's in order but you would probably need a work visa even if you only export to sell in the west, especially as you want to be quite open and upfront about it. A house is much more discreet than a shop front. You can easily find a place with a big yard and outside but covered area so you can work outside even when it rains....And what materials do you need or will you bring them?

Good questions. I will not be selling anything while I am in Thailand. I will have a retirement visa which I qualify for and living solely off a modest pension. I am coming to Thailand for the cheap cost of living and so that I can work on this purely financially speculative art project. Again no funds will be coming in from the project while I am in LOS. But my work will look quite professional and spiritual in nature and helpfully impressive. That might start speculation that I am selling my art but all my art will be stored in my shop. I don't want any problems because my work COULD sell. I will absolutely not be selling. When my project is complete in a year or two. I will ship the paintings to the states and I shall reside there as well. Now if by chance I have a show and publish the art in book form and make some money off of them at this time that would be nice. But that will be when I reside once again in America. I hope there will not be a problem with Thai government/officials. Also i find no need in telling them about what I hope to do with my artwork in the future when I no longer live in Thailand. While in Thailand I will just be pursing my art as a hobby, period, which is the truth. I don't think I am doing anything technically against a retirement visa. (I am open for input about this.) I am pursuing my art as a hobby for my own pleasure and not as a business.

And what materials do you need or will you bring?

I paint in acrylics on wood panel in a spiritual style based in Byzantine iconography and use gold leafing techniques. I will contact you TM. Maybe you can help me figure out what I need to bring that I can't get locally. I appreciate your input and the info you sent already. Peace. Bro.

While in Thailand I will just be pursing my art as a hobby, period, which is the truth. I don't think I am doing anything technically against a retirement visa. (I am open for input about this.) I am pursuing my art as a hobby for my own pleasure and not as a business.

You're not doing anything wrong and good luck with your project.

Just keep your cards close to your chest regarding what you do - the least amount of people you tell, the better (safer from hassle) you will be.

• Like 2

Good point above that a shop house will bring attention from the authoritys .The rule about rent is that the further you go out from the centre the cheaper the rent .

I most definitely do not want to bring attention to myself from the authorities. And I need cheap rent to make this work. Yet I don't think I am doing anything against a retirement visa.

You're not doing anything wrong and good luck with your project.

Just keep your cards close to your chest regarding what you do - the least amount of people you tell, the better (safer from hassle) you will be.

I will do that. We know how the world goes. To avoid hassle... yes... keep a low profile and have your papers in order. Thanks. Good advice. I will try to do this.

I don't know what your budget is but you might want to consider staying outside town. Starting from CM city center, prices drop almost exponentially as you move out. I'd have thought the peace and quiet of a countryside location would have been ideally suited to an artist, also.

Considered. Thanks

But depends on you, I guess. Especially if you don't want to own a car and/or dislike a 45 minute drive to get to CM center. Otoh if you don't want to own a car and you're the adventurous type there's plenty cheap buses, taxis & motorcycle taxis to move around in.

I will not have a car. The savings might be worth the extra effort and it is more exercise walking about.

Also depends if you prefer to be close to anemities - go out for meals and a few drinks regularly, or to stay around home and venture to town a few times a month.

Considered. Thank you.

Fwiw, my place costs me < $100/mo including electricity - it's a decent size 3 bedroom bungalow with a western bathroom and semi-western kitchen. I'm near Mae Taeng and I visit Mae Rim and CM 2 or 3 times a week - Mae Taeng's close enough to CM to not be a chore (but I have a car). There's lots of empty shophouses round here some (look) decrepit, some new. Priced around $150-$300 from what I can gather.

Thanks this is quite helpful as is you whole post. Thanks my friend. What about renting a Motorbike? Is this too dangerous in your eyes? Can't afford a car.

Anyway I'm sure you'll get lots more advice - what I'd say is don't jump at the first thing you see (or the first price).

Aye! Aye! Captain!

Some shophouses aren't on major roads, and you could easily fit a regular sliding door and some curtains for privacy; then they can be used like any other house/building. You would probably one that has an extra half-floor level in front, giving you a very high ceiling in front.

Good suggestions Winnie! Thanks.

Lots of commercial type places will be unfurnished, no air-con units etc because the previous occupier will have fitted and paid for those items and will have removed them when moving on e.g. http://www.asiaprope...chiang-mai-9231 looks like it might be suitable for you at 15,000 a month but you will need to spend a chunk of cash making it habitable.

If you really want a shop house then perhaps the best bet is wander around your choosen area on foot with a Thai companion who can phone numbers stuck on the outside of units to rent. You will be spoilt for choice !

Valuable info. All of you guys has been sooo helpful. Thanks. Practical advice about wandering WITH a Thai campanion. Thanks again.

Good questions. I will not be selling anything while I am in Thailand. I will have a retirement visa which I qualify for and living solely off a modest pension. I am coming to Thailand for the cheap cost of living and so that I can work on this purely financially speculative art project. Again no funds will be coming in from the project while I am in LOS. But my work will look quite professional and spiritual in nature and helpfully impressive. That might start speculation that I am selling my art but all my art will be stored in my shop. I don't want any problems because my work COULD sell. I will absolutely not be selling. When my project is complete in a year or two. I will ship the paintings to the states and I shall reside there as well. Now if by chance I have a show and publish the art in book form and make some money off of them at this time that would be nice. But that will be when I reside once again in America. I hope there will not be a problem with Thai government/officials. Also i find no need in telling them about what I hope to do with my artwork in the future when I no longer live in Thailand. While in Thailand I will just be pursing my art as a hobby, period, which is the truth. I don't think I am doing anything technically against a retirement visa. (I am open for input about this.) I am pursuing my art as a hobby for my own pleasure and not as a business.

And what materials do you need or will you bring?

I paint in acrylics on wood panel in a spiritual style based in Byzantine iconography and use gold leafing techniques. I will contact you TM. Maybe you can help me figure out what I need to bring that I can't get locally. I appreciate your input and the info you sent already. Peace. Bro.

You can get Golden products and Winsor and Newton, Galleria, Gesso and Primer. I usually bring canvas but there is another post on TV about that..I'll let you know. I bring most of what I need and top in BKK.

But you can get supplies in CM too. Make a list of what you need. It's also easy to import via DHL, Fedex..etc

Even in UK I import from USA and Canada as I like Tri-art..you can't get in UK....I think discretion about what you do is always important, whatever your visa status. Best not attract attention from nosey neighbors. And if you don't know Thai...Start learning asap. Lot's of free lessons on You Tube.

• Like 1

Lots of commercial type places will be unfurnished, no air-con units etc because the previous occupier will have fitted and paid for those items and will have removed them when moving on e.g. http://www.asiaprope...chiang-mai-9231 looks like it might be suitable for you at 15,000 a month but you will need to spend a chunk of cash making it habitable.

Valuable info. All of you guys has been sooo helpful. Thanks. Practical advice about wandering WITH a Thai campanion. Thanks again.

There have been cases where a Thai "agent" tells you that the rent is 15,000 a month but the owner is letting it for less. The difference goes straight into the agents pocket. If the agent kindly offers to collect the rent from you and pass it on to the owner this a bit of a clue wink.png

Of course anyone helping you will probably get a bit of commission (paid by the owner not you) but thats only fair and normal.

There have been cases where a Thai "agent" tells you that the rent is 15,000 a month but the owner is letting it for less. The difference goes straight into the agents pocket. If the agent kindly offers to collect the rent from you and pass it on to the owner this a bit of a clue wink.png

Of course anyone helping you will probably get a bit of commission (paid by the owner not you) but thats only fair and normal.

Good advice and info... thanks

I live in the kind of place you would die for. It is 3 stories high and has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The main floor has a 20" high ceiling and is all white with plenty of natural light. It is not a shophouse although that is what I was looking for. I am a photographer and this is the perfect place for me. The rent is 10,000 THB per month + electricity. I am just outside the moat close to the airport. So if you take your time and look around good places are here and not too expensive. I found my place from an on line rental and for sale company so I knew the price before they saw me and I don't think I am paying a farang price. Good luck to you, Chiang Mai needs all the creative people they can import.

I live in the kind of place you would die for. It is 3 stories high and has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The main floor has a 20" high ceiling and is all white with plenty of natural light. It is not a shophouse although that is what I was looking for. I am a photographer and this is the perfect place for me. The rent is 10,000 THB per month + electricity. I am just outside the moat close to the airport. So if you take your time and look around good places are here and not too expensive. I found my place from an on line rental and for sale company so I knew the price before they saw me and I don't think I am paying a farang price. Good luck to you, Chiang Mai needs all the creative people they can import.

You are right!!!! Perfect. OMG! When did you start renting? Is this recent prices or old prices???

Blessings upon you. You have the set-up. Any other ideas of how I can get what you got? or something similar. What online rental and sales company?

Edited by IconicX

For a time, we lived in a shophouse in the central part of the city -- it had been totally redone to western standards with lots of granite, wood trim, etc. It really was luxe inside. We paid just 12,000 baht/month for it. I would think you could get something much more rudimentary for half that price.

I don't think you'll encounter any problems with doing your art on a retirement visa if you tell everyone it's a hobby. Which is really what it is when you're doing work on speculation, not advertising on-line or otherwise promoting your work in a way that connects you with Chiang Mai.

For a time, we lived in a shophouse in the central part of the city -- it had been totally redone to western standards with lots of granite, wood trim, etc. It really was luxe inside. We paid just 12,000 baht/month for it. I would think you could get something much more rudimentary for half that price.

I don't think you'll encounter any problems with doing your art on a retirement visa if you tell everyone it's a hobby. Which is really what it is when you're doing work on speculation, not advertising on-line or otherwise promoting your work in a way that connects you with Chiang Mai.

Thanks..Nancy. Makes sense to me. But sometimes things don't make sense. I am flexible. Thanks for the info. Very valuable. I don't need plush just functional with basic necessities.

Hmmm! as an artist who sets up art studios in various exotic places for indefinite periods,

http://www.thaivisa....borhood-in-bkk/

Had a friend who is a successful artist. He had problems getting his paints delivered here. I think it was Fed X. Maybe you can buy what you want here I know he couldn't. At any rate check around for the best carriers. Perhaps there is a thread some where here all ready about that. Or you could start a new one.

Had a friend who is a successful artist. He had problems getting his paints delivered here. I think it was Fed X. Maybe you can buy what you want here I know he couldn't. At any rate check around for the best carriers. Perhaps there is a thread some where here all ready about that. Or you could start a new one.

Much obliged. I will be on the look out.

Thanks this is quite helpful as is you whole post. Thanks my friend. What about renting a Motorbike? Is this too dangerous in your eyes? Can't afford a car.

Renting a bike I believe is quite cheap but obviously it would depend for how long. Even if it's only 100 baht a day that's $1,200/yr. If it was me I'd buy one, as long as you don't pay a silly "farang" price when you buy it, it should hold it's value reasonably well should it come time to sell it... I have a Suzuki Hayate 125 that I buzz around here on, use the car to venture further... As for the danger - yes riding a bike here can be a bit harrowing but as long as you follow the Thai road rules (assume everyone is going to do something unpredictable) it's mostly survivable... :)

You're right about that Dolly. I think FedEx don't carry paints. However the art supplier in the USA knows which courier to use. USP, DHL, TNT, EMS ...some do some don't.

You're right about that Dolly. I think FedEx don't carry paints. However the art supplier in the USA knows which courier to use. USP, DHL, TNT, EMS ...some do some don't.

Very Helpful.