Ten Dead, 17 Injured In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the accident, could be a host of reasons but once again we have multiple deaths on the roads, a weekly occurrence.

It is all well and good checking the tyres etc but that does not then account for some 16 year old moron ploughing into you etc. You could be on the safest bus in the world but of the driver has the lack of training and has passed the pathetic test in Bangkok you are always at risk.

My experience with Transport Co. buses has generally been very good. Like Nakhon Chai Air they operate modern VIP buses, with the 24 seaters being the best of the best I believe. While it is too early to be sure, it is possible that it was just bad luck, something on the road, or perhaps a faulty tire.

Bad luck does not cause accidents BAD DRIVING DOES

The quality of driving in Thailand is shocking and has been for decades. Why does the government refuse to implement standardized driving tests as opposed to the stupid irrelevant system currently in place.

As for the accident, could be a host of reasons but once again we have multiple deaths on the roads, a weekly occurrence.

It is all well and good checking the tyres etc but that does not then account for some 16 year old moron ploughing into you etc. You could be on the safest bus in the world but of the driver has the lack of training and has passed the pathetic test in Bangkok you are always at risk.

Finally! My search has ended! i am packing my bags and heading to that country with no accidents! Need to catch a cab to the airport, ummm...where is that please? Edited by RichardinBKK

What a terrible accident, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the deceased and wish a full recovery to those injured.

The sad thing is that accidents of this kind are such a regular occurrence here in Thailand that they are hardly worth a mention in the media, such tradgedies would be a major news item in most countries, surely that must tell you something.

Edited by theoldgit

RIP to the victims and sincerest condolences to the families and friends of those who perished in this tragedy. Quick recovery to all injured. Sadly these kind of accidents happen all too often on Thailand's roads...

By experience I know that especially 6 (and above) wheeler truck drivers here use to ride the rear tyres until they blow. Have seen several of those explosions life and one time drove right behind one - luckily I was sitting in a car since the debris was flying around all over the place... The bang was loud like a grenade going off. The driver just slowed down a little and then continued without stopping. He still had 9 tyres left, so what?

In general I always advise friends and relatives to NOT take buses whenever they can avoid it and rather take a plane for longer distances and opt for a proper taxi or limousine for shorter trips. In any case, you are never a 100% safe anywhere and disaster can strike even if you are sitting in your living room watching a movie (remember that there were several stories of airplanes crashing into apartment complexes).

And of course it is not only Thailand where things like this happen. Maintenance of public transportation (may it be ship, bus or train) is a big problem in most parts of the world.

Finally! My search has ended! i am packing my bags and heading to that country with no accidents! Need to catch a cab to the airport, ummm...where is that please?

Eh????

Do i say ANYWHERE in my post that this is a thai disease??? Do I suggest anywhere in my post that there are other countries with no accidents?

The fact is (having done the thai driving rest myself) that the test here does not prepare people for driving, the lax law enforcement means people can plough along at any speed they choose, and the fact is that major accidents in Thailand occur on almost a weekly basis with multiple deaths.

Now if you have some sort of agenda or are keen to be a smart arse take it elsewhere, like PM for starters. This is Thailand, this is an accident in Thailand, we are discussing Thailand, it matters not one jot how many accidents occur in other countries because guess what, we are not in other countries.

• Like 2

My experience with Transport Co. buses has generally been very good. Like Nakhon Chai Air they operate modern VIP buses, with the 24 seaters being the best of the best I believe. While it is too early to be sure, it is possible that it was just bad luck, something on the road, or perhaps a faulty tire.

The quality of driving in Thailand is shocking and has been for decades. Why does the government refuse to implement standardized driving tests as opposed to the stupid irrelevant system currently in place.

I would imagine the USA has a very strict driving test, doesn't stop an average of 40,000 fatalities per year though does it.

Vehicles are vehicles, humans are humans , both are prone to failures.

3-7-55-02.jpg

This is the 999 government bus that runs from Bangkok to Koh Phangan (via the car ferry) - the news this morning said that the tire burst, the bus hit the median and then the electric pole, the driver was cut into pieces from the accident.

As this is a government bus I believe that regular maintenance is required but who is to say the tires weren't faulty, there was something in the road, or just old tires and they werent caught. This is really terrible news.

Bus company may not be accountable. A manufacturing fault called type wall delamination can cause a Tyre to explode when running at speed for an hour or more. Occasionally this type of fault causes a Tyre to burst into flames without warning. Lamination defects are difficult to detect once the Tyre leave the manufacturers plant. In this culpability lies directly with Tyre manufacturer. Many law suits in the west based on this issue.

3-7-55-02.jpg

This is the 999 government bus that runs from Bangkok to Koh Phangan (via the car ferry) - the news this morning said that the tire burst, the bus hit the median and then the electric pole, the driver was cut into pieces from the accident.

As this is a government bus I believe that regular maintenance is required but who is to say the tires weren't faulty, there was something in the road, or just old tires and they werent caught. This is really terrible news.

I was in a bus crash, driver went to sleep, 4 dead,driver ran away.

I really suggest everyone in Thailand planning to use a bus or minivan to first double check all tires!

I'd suggest taking the train as much as possible. ... R.I.P.

How is it known that a tire caused the accident?

How is it known that a tire caused the accident?

Initial reports I read indicated that the police thought that the driver fell asleep.

Obviously, this line from the report can be credibly rearranged -->>

"According to the initial investigation, the front right tire burst, causing the driver to lose control and the bus hit the electric pole at full speed."

to -

"...causing the driver to lose control and the bus hot the electric pole at full speed...the front right tire burst..."

Because it is common for tyres to burst upon severe impact. Then the cause of this horrible crash would have to found elsewhere.....e.g.,as in the post above.

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

I would imagine the USA has a very strict driving test, doesn't stop an average of 40,000 fatalities per year though does it.

I may be reading it wrong, but Thai road fatalities per 100,000 vehicles is apparently more than 7 times higher than US. If true, then something US is doing is working.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I was in a bus crash, driver went to sleep, 4 dead,driver ran away.

Yes, that running-away behaviour is an incredibly common reaction in such circumstances; incredible given that most bus-staff are well known - but then, maybe they want to be away long enough for certain substances to have left the body ?

..... and form now on im at the back of the bus near the smelly toilet and i will be happy to be there!!!!!

I don't recommend that. Remember the 3 young men from the UK who sat in last row and died when their night bus was rammed by another from behind.

Your point is well made, and add to it, Americans drive large airbag equipped vehicles. if they did not have the luxury of driving those massive gas guzzling tanks, the fatality numbers would be x 4. Here, people drive very light vehicles, and older, without much protection. it would be interesting to know how many Americans receive critical injuries requiring hospitalization per year, because in a different vehicle, those may have been fatal.

if it was a burst tire, there would be pieces on the street, already well before the crash point, as he first hit the divider and then the post?

but tires burst when running through a ditch or so, too...

on the picture it looks as if the bus has double tires?

even if the driver fell asleep or made a mistake, such accidents can probably never be avoided...

a bus should have seat belts for the passengers, and people be reminded by the employees to use them...

Edited by dingdang

I may be reading it wrong, but Thai road fatalities per 100,000 vehicles is apparently more than 7 times higher than US. If true, then something US is doing is working.

http://en.m.wikipedi...ated_death_rate

Americans drive large airbag equipped vehicles. if they did not have the luxury of driving those massive gas guzzling tanks, the fatality numbers would be x 4. Here, people drive very light vehicles, and older, without much protection. it would be interesting to know how many Americans receive critical injuries requiring hospitalization per year, because in a different vehicle, those may have been fatal.

For example, a dear friend of mine, an orthopedic surgeon, was driving home after a long grueling day of operations. He feel asleep at the wheel, on cruise control, in a 500 series Mercedes and drove into a bridge abutment. Solid concrete, 3 meters thick. It cost him a good nap, but he opened the door, walked away, and called his wife to say he would be a bit late getting home. Try that in a Toyota pickup.

Edited by RichardinBKK

I really suggest everyone in Thailand planning to use a bus or minivan to first double check all tires!

that's just one of a thousand things that can go wrong, can you check the brakes too? and the steering? and most importantly, if the driver is going to stay awake all night.

They don't do things by halfs do they.

Either way, let's hope that pending the results of an investigation, Transport Co. as a professional outfit, will implement whatever changes are necessary to reduce the chances of this happening again.

They don't do things by halfs do they but, at least he didn't flee the scene.

There is no such thing as bad luck. If it weren't the tyres it would have been the brakes. Or something else.

And does anyone think all the prospective passengers are gonna climb over and crawl under each and ever bus they travel on, Ya gotta be joking

And of the 24 passengers .how many would know shyt from shinola and what they were looking at or what to look for.

Implement whatever changes are necessary, don't hold your breath TIT

Quote:

Ten people including the driver and Amit Jain, an Indian, were killed in the crash. Five bodies were unidentified and were sent for autopsies at Surat Thani Hospital.

Unquote.

Search for drugs... alcohol... Why only the unidentified bodies to be autopsied? I have noted many times that these buses all drive average speeds of 110 km/h which is way too fast on this road! They are also skilled in tail-licking slower cars... Very dangerous!

Shocking. I'll put this on my list of "things to check before boarding a vehicle in Thailand" list. However -- how much choice do we really have? We might check the tires, see that they're worn thin -- and then what? If it's the only bus on our schedule, do we wait for the next bus? Remain in the emergency brace position throughout the trip?

RIP to the victims... I blame the cheap Chinese rubber imports that saturate the market for this one. There was an article about it a few years back -- that the Chinese imports are putting the Thai factories out of business, unfair competition (in terms of pricing etc.) I can't even find any decent interior tubes for my bicycle in this country!!!

Life is a gamble, every day when you get out of bed, not just in Thailand but everywhere!

Tyre burst? driver fell asleep? something in the road?

they were Just in the wrong place at the wrong time!!!

At this point we cant blame anyone or anything.

IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN 100% SAFE DON'T GET OUT OF BED!

RIP to the dead and a speedy recovery to the injured

• Like 1

OK - - - This driver wasn't going to run anywhere.

This is just a crying shame, ad up all the minuses for an accident, driver fell asleep, speeding, or tire fault, who the H_ell really knows at this point.

The company saying faulty tire is easy to do, because they don't push their drivers beyond a ten hour day, then stop to rest oh no they push them

to drive, drive, drive, until either this happens, or worse.

I sometimes take shuttle van from Cha Am to BKK, and I'll tell you, usually your hanging on to your seat, with speeding and sometimes reckless driving.

I'll never take a inte-provinsal bus anywhere, there are way too many reports just like this one.

Condolences to the families, and speedy recovery to all who survived.

http://en.m.wikipedi...ated_death_rate

Americans drive large airbag equipped vehicles. if they did not have the luxury of driving those massive gas guzzling tanks, the fatality numbers would be x 4. Here, people drive very light vehicles, and older, without much protection. it would be interesting to know how many Americans receive critical injuries requiring hospitalization per year, because in a different vehicle, those may have been fatal.

Haha, whatevvaa. I have driven all over the world including SE Asia, Eastern Europe, South and Central America and South Africa. Roads are bad in Russia, but drivers in Thailand are about as bad as I have ever seen. Economy cars are big here now with has prices so high.

Sheesh, I drive a Lotus Elise and a Gallatdo ALOT. Hardly big safe tanks or whatever you call them. I am sitting eye level with the lug nuts in pick ups in the Elise that weighs like 1,750 pounds.. I have put 46,000 miles on it since 2006 and 50,000 miles on the 05 Gallardo. I would be toast in either car, especially the Elise if am accident happened. Also a whole lot of Electric cars and smart cars on road around here.

This is far away from the reality. Neither farang nor Thais even don`t use the seat belts if available. The other people always look at me strangely if i use them...

And as well no one will check the tires - guarantee!