Onward Travel Proof Required For Bkk - Vientiane Flight?

PREM-R

Never heard of anyone having issue travelling around the region, the problems tend to arise travelling International long haul i.e from UK or USA / Canada etc.

That would be incorrect. We have seen AirAsia from Phnom Penh (last Thursday) insist on an onward flight (group of three backpackers just ahead of us), and Cebu Pacific is positively rabid on the subject, although I think its a ploy to get you to buy a full-fare ticket on the spot. That was on Manila to BKK.

A new one, last month, was their insistence that a return ticket was needed for a flight FROM BKK to Manila. Either the Philippines is taking a cue from Thailand, or the above mentioned high-pressure ticket sales technique applies.

The reason is ostensibly that if you are not allowed in to the destination country, the airline is responsible for transporting you back. Whether it is from Europe/US or a neighboring Asian country is irrelevant.

IATA regulations for international carriers.

You must have a valid Visa / Work permit, proof of residency before being allowed to travel to another country. If you do not have this, you must have proof of onward travel arrangements or a return ticket to your home country.

Hence the departure section of the landing card you have to fill in on arrival.

Airline check in staff are well within their rights to refuse passengers from boarding if they do not meet the criteria above.

Thanks for the replies, my plan is to fly up to Vientiane from Bangkok, get a Thai visa there and then travel back overland.

Better of travelling by bus or train, no problem just takes longer.

The best way (in my opinion) to get from Bangkok to Vientiane is the following:

AirAsia BKK to Udon Thani 1350 Baht

Minibus from Udon Thai airport to Friendship Bridge (Laos border) 45 minutes, 200 baht

Taxi from Friendship Bridge to Vientiane 45 minutes, 200 baht.

Compare 1750 Baht (1 way) to the price of the flights direct to Vientiane. If you're mega-loaded and just don't care about money, flying direct may make sense, but it's a lot more expensive.

Also, nobody at the Friendship Bridge will be asking for proof of onward travel, since you're not in an airport.

• Like 1