Cost Of Living In Thailand - Our Actual Monthly Spend

8milesfromhome

1. I need 140k a month for me and the family.

The champagne lifestyle !

I wish. That just goes on rent/bills/kids/school fees/health insurance/food/petrol/going out/gym membership/wifes allowance etc etc..

Yes, this is realistic, not Champagne lifestyle.

Been here 6 months in Bangkok (Samut Prakan) and our average monthly outgo is 73-75K. We have full house in gated community, and yes we run AC (electric bill around 5K/month) and eat well, plus some alcohol costs. No dogs yet, but they are coming before long. So I think the OP is living on the cheap in Chiang Mai, and we are living mid-level in Bangkok. Cost of living difference between those two cities is enormous.

• Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: Out of interest what's the visa you and your partner have for living in Thailand? Is it a special category B visa for media/journalism?

Best wishes for your endeavours. Don't forget to upgrade your car insurance to first class; otherwise you will end up in a world of pain with the Thai "system", that will take the smile off your face, if you have an accident.

If you stop using air-con at night you acclimatize quickly, and you don't feel as hot during the day.

But noooo..... mai dai! I like my air. :) I think I'm pretty much acclimatized, except I want my air when I'm sleeping. Well, I'm not acclimatized to the hot season we previously had. Bloody hell that was hot, wasn't it? +41C, no clouds or wind. That I'm not acclimatized to, but nobody around here is either. They were bitching more than me about how hot it was.

Thais feed dogs whatever is left over from their meals, no special dog food, so no great expense ..... rice is cheap.

heh, but that's why they die so often, and while alive are malnourished angry mutts who wander around with sad faces scrounging through the garbage bins hoping for something to eat. I don't know how much exactly my dogs are, but here's a good estimate:

300/meal @ 15 meals/month = 4500

Dry & canned food, plus that "Cesar" stuff for the little guy = no idea

Dry food = 1200/month

Canned = 80/can * 20 cans = 1600

Cesar = 43/month * 30 cans = 1290

TOTAL: 4100/month

Treats = say 2000/month

yaa hep (flea & tick medicine you put on the back of their neck) = 2 times/month @ 450 = 900/month

Shampoo, flea powder, etc. = 400/month

Vet visits + medication = They're not sick every month, so average it out at 1000/month

TOTAL: 12,900/month

I'm sure I'm fogetting some things, but yeah, that sounds about right. That's simply what it costs to properly take care of 3 dogs. Not bitching or anything, and can't wait to get a larger yard so I can get more dogs. Just stating a fact. :)

I still enjoy eating guey teow sen lek nam sai, cow soy, geng hang lay and pat Thai hore kie after being here years.

Oh yeah, I love Thai food too, and eat it all the time. Eating 30 baht plates of it everyday quickly becomes tiring though. That, and after a while you miss various things. For example, just a simple chicken ceasar salad will cost you here, because both the bacon bits and parmasean cheese are imported. Just a bunch of little things like that.

You can definitely live on the cheap in Thailand, but it quickly grows tiring, to the point you decide it's worth the extra money to live how it's comfortable for you. Then once you decide that (everyone does who can afford it), it turns out Thailand isn't the cheap paradise some people make it out to be. Definitely a good value for the quality of life, but like one blog I read, you can't live like a "VIP" for $250/month.

The thing that strikes me is that the OPs posts are an attempt to direct traffic to their site with as little effort as possible. While I am not shy about mentioning that I am a blogger, I think it is bad form not to contribute something to this forum other than links.wink.png

Yeah I mentioned that early on. I'm sure we'd all like to post links from our various sites for link juice and traffic. Would of been better to just spell out the expenses, but hey, people are clicking!

Dry food = 1200/month

Treats = say 2000/month

yaa hep (flea & tick medicine you put on the back of their neck) = 2 times/month @ 450 = 900/month

Vet visits + medication = They're not sick every month, so average it out at 1000/month

You spend more than double my monthly family food bill (five people) on your dogs !!!!!

• Like 2

Dry food = 1200/month

Treats = say 2000/month

You spend more than double my monthly family food bill (five people) on your dogs !!!!!

For some, their dogs are their family.

• Like 1

Am i right in what I've been told that 3rd class insurance here only covers a certain amount which isn't much.

No way near enough to pay for a written off newish or any car really ? Or medical bills ?

2 farangs (without a dash cam) most likely aren't going to win on whose fault it is.

Am i right in what I've been told that 3rd class insurance here only covers a certain amount which isn't much.

No way near enough to pay for a written off newish or any car really ? Or medical bills ?

2 farangs (without a dash cam) most likely aren't going to win on whose fault it is.

First class insurance provides 200,000 baht bail bond money that is required if you are in an accident that causes serious injury/death, also fully comprehensive; including medical bills (of course with a max limit). Not enough cash on hand for bail bond, go to jail whilst waiting for the court case that could take up to six months before the hearing. Up to you if you want to take the risk and only pay for third class insurance.

Edited by simple1

They drive a cheap used car, they don't need to worry about replacing a multi million baht car if they wreck it.

And some people are just responsible enough human beings to take care of their dogs properly. Now if my dogs were fat it'd be a different story, but they're not in the slightest. That's simply what it costs to have happy, healthy, disease free pets.

I have a feeling your link drops will get snipped, so you might want to post the cost here. As mentioned above, no car, health or renters insurance?

I have always had car insurance, but in nearly 22 years in Thailand I have never had health insurance, maybe I am just fortunate but I have only ever been to a hospital to have a tooth pulled.

Wonder how much money it would have cost me for 22 years health insurance?

I know , it could have all gone wrong IF I had fallen ill or IF I had an accident, but it didn't happen, I do have number 1 car insurance, that, I am careful about, and my GF has medical insurance that costs 20,000 per year.

For me, other than a traffic accident, I self insure.

Your gf is entitled to the 30 baht system (free at the moment) so I wonder why you don't use the 20K for an insurance for yourself? (assuming she's Thai and you're paying for said insurance)

How can you assume such a thing...thats just just just you know....

And some people are just responsible enough human beings to take care of their dogs properly. Now if my dogs were fat it'd be a different story, but they're not in the slightest. That's simply what it costs to have happy, healthy, disease free pets.

That isn't what it costs, that's what you choose to pay. It's not like the only two options are 5,000 baht per month per animal and starving mangy mutts who eat trash from the soi garbage bins. There is a big middle ground. You can even make your own dog food very cheaply that will result in very healthy animals.

• Like 1

Your gf is entitled to the 30 baht system (free at the moment) so I wonder why you don't use the 20K for an insurance for yourself? (assuming she's Thai and you're paying for said insurance)

Only free in her home Amphur, if she is registered on a house book in Korat, but works in BK ...... she has to pay in BK (or travel to Korat for free treatment).

• Like 1

They drive a cheap used car, they don't need to worry about replacing a multi million baht car if they wreck it.

It's the other persons car they will have to pay for. Almost certainly going to be a Thai person who will have the language advantage down the cop shop.

With even a very average car costing around 1 MB plus hospital bills and them having no savings they will be up the said creek without a paddle.

what happens if they accidentllly crash into a wealthy thai and wreck his car worth 10 or 20 million ?

No insurance ,no bail money and you might well be fcuked

You cant say just because your car is cheap, there is no need to insure it

The wealthy Thai will be insured and his policy will pay out.

The way it works here is the wealthy person pays for the poor person.

Foreigners are usually the wealthy person, and that's why they are usually 'invited' to pay.

The police are mostly very fair in enforcing this policy. .... the foreigners winge and whine because they just don't understand the system.

Not that I would stop after an accident in any case, if I can still move, off I go.

As my brief in the UK used to say, repeat after me ,,,,"I wasn't there, it wasn't me".

Edited by TommoPhysicist

what happens if they accidentllly crash into a wealthy thai and wreck his car worth 10 or 20 million ?

They did insure their car. Driving without insurance would be illegal. The guy in the 10 million baht car will have insurance too. They can pay their own bail, I'd hope most people have cash around for emergencies.

Foreigners are usually the wealthy person, and that's why they are usually 'invited' to pay.

The police are mostly very fair in enforcing this policy. .... the foreigners winge and whine because they just don't understand the system.

But doesn't the third class insurance only pay a certain amount ?

People have posted on here before that that system isn't true and I know from Thai friends who have been crashed into that it isn't true.

One case being a cop in a shit heap old mercedes crashing into a friends new Honda who had to pay out.

That isn't what it costs, that's what you choose to pay. It's not like the only two options are 5,000 baht per month per animal and starving mangy mutts who eat trash from the soi garbage bins. There is a big middle ground. You can even make your own dog food very cheaply that will result in very healthy animals.

Friend of mine makes hes own doog food. Cup of broken rice in a steamer along with a few hands full of diced veggies and diced pork cheap cuts. 20 minutes later it's ready bar letting it cool.

Sorry, didn't quite mean it like that. The guy above was just having a go at me because I'm gay, that's all.

But yeah, I generally make their food too. I guess they're just lucky in this lifetime, because they get to eat neat things like rib-eye steak, salmon, etc. I'm an excellent provider for everyone in this house including the dogs, I work hard for it, and I pride myself on that.

But doesn't the third class insurance only pay a certain amount ?

People have posted on here before that that system isn't true and I know from Thai friends who have been crashed into that it isn't true.

One case being a cop in a shit heap old mercedes crashing into a friends new Honda who had to pay out.

You have 'Thai friends'?

Cup of broken rice in a steamer along with a few hands full of diced veggies and diced pork cheap cuts. 20 minutes later it's ready bar letting it cool.

WHAT? thats DOG food?

Yep. Also gets a pork leg bone most days which is roasted in the oven for 30 minutes or so. Pit bull. Been feeding the dog this for the last 4 years I guess and never had an issue.

Well I asked my wife on the 600baht car tax/insurance thing, can anyone confirm this ?

She said it pays nothing to either party towards the cost of the vehicles. It only pays towards hospital bills and she thinks it is only a few thousand baht max (doesn't know for sure or how much) which they give you.

So if someone with only the 600 Baht tax is at fault they have to pay out themselves for the other persons car and hospital bills. If it is all done by the book (or someone with better connections). Is this a legal or civil matter here ?

Not that I would stop after an accident in any case, if I can still move, off I go.

As my brief in the UK used to say, repeat after me ,,,,"I wasn't there, it wasn't me".

if you are deemed to be at fault ,you ARE liable

being poorer than a rich person is no guarantee you can do what you like

and of course ,the rich person could be angry and insist you get punished

as much as possible

hes unlikely to say ,Since i drive a lamborghini i should pay ...........

This post made me think about my living expenditure for a Month

No rent. Own house

Electicity ( run A/C at night and when feel like it ) 2000 (average)

Water 350

Maintenance fee 1000

Sat TV/Net 3200

Car insurance 1500

Petrol 2000 (average)

Cat (eats fresh meat/dry food) 900

Telephone 1000

Food/drink (from market/supermarket) 16000

Total 27950

Now obviously this doesn't include entertainment and meals eaten out. I also probably spend more on imported food than some. I enjoy Thai street/resto food and get as much satisfaction from a great 130baht meal from the market as a 3000 baht blow out at a Western place. I certainly don't budget or go without anything I want. I would probably add another 30k a Month to cover these extras.. So I'm still spending less than 60k a Month. If I did away with True/had cheaper internet and bought less wine, cheese and imported meat I'd be able to still live very comfortably on 45k a Month. This is for two people. My missus works and doesn't require a 'salary' from me.She buys any extras she needs or odds and ends for the house

So I'm probably living on 300 GBP a week avarage. No council tax and no income tax to be added so I reckon this is cheap living., especially in proportion to my salary.

Don't know how this compares to the UK nowadays as it's 23 yrs since I left.. Certainly didn't know anyone taking home 300 quid a week back then though.

Sure bigger households have bigger bills than me and certainly some Thais live much cheaper. But pretty sure my expenses would compare favourable with a middle class Thai couple in BKK with a similar lifestyle.

• Like 1

A tramp lives on more than 23k per month... 50k needed to have a nice life here and i also agree about the car insurance... That insurance you have now is worthless if you have a major accident

Maybe 50k if you live in the sticks, not somewhere real. That would be impossible.