What Fertilizers Are Used For Organic Vegetables?

I asked this question in another post but was directed here for a more definitive answer....My post was

As a matter of interest do you know what kind of fertilizers they use for Organic produce?

I've heard that in the west it's often blood, fish guts, human, excrement and sweepings from the abattoir floor.bah.gif

As a vegetarian I'm not sure what is more acceptable. Blood or Chemicals on my Vegetables.

May I ask what you use and have you any idea what is used by Commercial Organic farmers??

I also heard that organic vegetables are more prone to infection with e-coli etc due to the fertilizers used...???

They must be well washed just like non organic...Any advice would be appreciated.wai.gif

Edited by TantraMantra

To be certified as organic the fertiliser used must consist of materials that are allowed under the regulations. That basically means it musy have been alive at some stage. A basic organic fertiliser can be made from rice bran, agricultural lime, gypsum and dolomite with rock phosphate and the likes of sea weed added. It doesnt not have to have blood and guts as you put it.

I make organic fertilisers with these materials as do a number of commercial Thai companies. I add a probiotic to assist breaking down the nutrients so they may be taken up by the plants more readily. The probiotic also out competes pathogens like E Coli so there is minimal risk from that.

The reason for washing is to rid the plant of pesticides used during growing. Again organic pest control replaces the need to use these toxic substances. But you should wash your food as a manner of hygiene.

Techniques used commercially vary but most use a combination of composted organic materials and an organic fertiliser to suit the crop needs.

To be certified as organic the fertiliser used must consist of materials that are allowed under the regulations. That basically means it musy have been alive at some stage. A basic organic fertiliser can be made from rice bran, agricultural lime, gypsum and dolomite with rock phosphate and the likes of sea weed added. It doesnt not have to have blood and guts as you put it.

I make organic fertilisers with these materials as do a number of commercial Thai companies. I add a probiotic to assist breaking down the nutrients so they may be taken up by the plants more readily. The probiotic also out competes pathogens like E Coli so there is minimal risk from that.

The reason for washing is to rid the plant of pesticides used during growing. Again organic pest control replaces the need to use these toxic substances. But you should wash your food as a manner of hygiene.

Techniques used commercially vary but most use a combination of composted organic materials and an organic fertiliser to suit the crop needs.

Thanks for the info...You know that big food companies have messed so much with our food and have now jumped on the Organic bandwagon.

We can't help but be suspicious about the methods used to make our food. We all need to eat so I won't be put off too much by fertilizer methods but Organic is best. Have you read.....set in Thailand of the future...it's a good read.

The Windup Girl

What happens when bio-terrorism becomes a tool for corporate profits?

We use wormcast on our organic vegetables and rice farm. That's the best there is.

That looks a great product...I watched this..

Hi TM, Our wormfarm is nothing like so sophisticated as that but the end result is the same, we start with cow poo and finish with wormcast. Check out our website (starts with "www." followed by "pennworms.com") if you want some wormcast. cheers WF

Hi

We produce a soil conditioning organic liquid fertilizer that breaks down chemicals from previous fertilization and reduces it to usable nutrients.

We also have an NPK organic liquid fertilizer that works in conjuction with the soild conditioner.

Both are in concentrated form to be diluted with water and sprayed. Soil conditioner could be "poured" onto soil.

Send me a pm if any interest.