Mosquitos - What To Do Best?

Khun Yak

I have found the best protection is a glass or two of ouzo. This was told me by a Turkish Cypriot many years ago and it does work :D

I'd like to try this... I used to really enjoy drinking Ouzo before I came to Thailand. :D

But I haven't seen it on the shelves here... anyone know where I can get some?

Purely to keep those mozzies away of course... :o

thats classed as medicinal right .. ? :D

totster :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the best protection is a glass or two of ouzo. This was told me by a Turkish Cypriot many years ago and it does work :D

I'd like to try this... I used to really enjoy drinking Ouzo before I came to Thailand. :D

But I haven't seen it on the shelves here... anyone know where I can get some?

Purely to keep those mozzies away of course... :o

thats classed as medicinal right .. ? :D

'ken oath mate... :D

:D

Me too, I was under heavy attack the other night and I figured why not producing mosquito screens that are electrically charged like those tennis-type traps?

Advantage #1: you can allow bigger holes in the screen and therefor more air throughput and

Advantage #2: The bugs trying to find the tiny hole in the screen (that they apparently find after all) end up in a zap on their initial approach.

Me too, I was under heavy attack the other night and I figured why not producing mosquito screens that are electrically charged like those tennis-type traps?

Advantage #1: you can allow bigger holes in the screen and therefor more air throughput and

Advantage #2: The bugs trying to find the tiny hole in the screen (that they apparently find after all) end up in a zap on their initial approach.

Good idea... however, the hunt is part of the thrill.... :o

Good idea... however, the hunt is part of the thrill.... :D

well guys, maybe i should really dedicate myself my gonna-be hobby of hunting mosquitos.

I rather sleep over the days to adapt with my enemy and will show no mercy at night :D:o

Edited by Khun Yak

insect screens - they are quite cheap , and if the wire mesh is damaged they are cheap and easy to repair.

also get one of those mosquito tennis racquets and do a patrol of the room before you go to bed , make sure you wave it in all the dark areas and prod the curtians.

I've got one of those racquets and they're brilliant, the sound of frying mozzies is music!

I had a freind come over for New Year from the UK

She bought with her the most fantastic little machine I have ever seen.

Size of a small mobile phone (works off 2 AA Batteries) you either clip it to your trousers/skirt or just leave it on the table where you are sitting. It gives out a high pitched noise that sounds (apparantly) like a Male Mosquito giving off "Keep away from me" messages. Works for a surrounding area of 8 metres.

IT WORKS. she never got bitten once and nor did anybody else sitting near her (she said she had never had so many freinds :D )

She bought it out of a catalouge, you know the ones with all these gizzmos that you always used to throw straight in the bin.

Only problem is she DID throw away the catalouge when she received it, but thinks she still may have the receipt as everyone she met while she was here wants one.

She also had this little "needle type thingy" whereby whenever any of us were not with her and got bit a few painless stabs with this gizzmo and you forgot you ever got bitten.

These gizzmos are really worth having in the constant "War on Mozzies" Once she has found out exactly where she bought them from she will let me know and I will really consider importing them by the container load :D

Searching the net seems to say that none of these ultrasonic mosquito repellers work at all. Some of them claim to work by making a male mosquito sound (as you mention) and that keeps away the pregnant female mosquitos because they're pregnant and don't want to be around males. Totally rediculous claim. Only pregnant female mosquitos are hungry? Or the other mosquitos eat something else? Other units claim their ultrasonic sound is the same as a bat and bats eat mosquitos so the mosquitos are afrraid of this sound. Others units claim to make the sound of a dragonfly. The mere fact that the various manufacturers/distributors of these devices can't even agree on the basic principle of the device's operation should immediately put up a red flag that it's all bogus. It seems that scientific tests show that mosquitos can't even hear. I'm sure some people will swear by the devices, but the general consensus is that they do absolutely nothing except releave you of some of your money and make the fraudulent manufacturers rich.

Am I wrong in saying that only female mozzies bite?

Typical women :o

or i read somewhere if you take Vitamin B2 or B6 or B12 they will avoid you like the plague?????

it was one of the B vitamins

I have had success with a vitamin B combination in high dose. I don’t know which of them does the trick; Jai Dee says B12.

----------------

Maestro

I have a problem with mossie bites and the same problem as you at night!

I haven't tried toothpaste but I will now, sounds pretty good.

The orange mossie cream that Totster mentioned works well for me so you may want to try that :o

Ummm... Those blue lights that you can place in your room to zap them also work great.

But in my opinion I think it takes a while of living in LOS before you get used to them, my Dad and brother already have.

Stop drinking alcohol before going to bed. :o

If your sugar level in your blood drops, the mosquitos will let you alone

I very rarely get bitten even in the sticks where we live I have a swamp next door and rice fields all around. And I sit out side drinking most nights and have put it down to a good intake of chang beer hair arms and legs. So just drink more chang and stop shaving your legs

Keeping a strong fan on you sounds like a good idea

and thanks for pointing out its Vitamin B12

One more thing, they have good eyesight. I slept in a mosquito net that had some small

holes in it, but never got bitten when i shut the lights off before i slept. 1 night i got

smashed and forgot to turn the light off. Well i woke up in the AM and my bites

had bites. Those little bastids found the holes. Next night i offed light and no bites, same net.

Make sure all your doors and windows are closed. Ours are only opened to go :D in and out of. I don't trust the wire fly screens in our flats. The mosquitos are a sneaky breed. I use a roll on repellent. Three stripes per limb is adequate. You could try the plug in repellers but they seem to be less effective if the a/c or a fan is operating. Don't scratch the bites. easier said than done I know. Don't wear any sort of fragrence in bed, try to wash it off I understand it attracts them. Maybe shower with plain water prior to retiring, I read somewhere that cheesy feet attract the little buggers.

Good luck

I shower with a Lemongrass shower gel... does it help ? not sure.. but every little thing I can do to stop 'em.... :o

I watched a program on BBc a while back where they investigated the cheesy feet theory, the guy went walking all day then came back to his room, took the sock off one foot and washed the foot well, and keft the sock on the other foot.

In the morning when he woke up the leg with the smelly sock still on was covered in mossie bites above the top of the sock, and the clean foot had none ! :D

smoke ciggy's when youre sleeping . They are attracted to odor !

Only pregnant female mosquitos are hungry? Or the other mosquitos eat something else?

Yes. AFAIK, only pregnant mosquitos need to drink blood. But I remember trying one of this gizmos about 30 years ago and the problem was you could hear the supposedly inaudible sound and it was very irritating!

There's a device that some malls in the US were trying out to keep teenagers from congregating in certain areas. It's at some high frequency and low volume that most kids can hear, but most adults can't. Maybe your experience was an early example of this.

I've seen all the websites saying these sonic mosquito things don't work, but I'm going to give one a shot the next time I'm upcountry, or the next time I'm backpacking (California). 3M Ultrathon is the best repellent I've found, but with all the DEET I wouldn't wear that stuff every day or while sleeping.

Edited by Carmine6

smear syrup all over yourself.

that won't repel them,but it will rot their teeth :o

They already got bad teeth, thats what the toothpaste is for... :D

But i will do it, as they even might get stucked in the syrup aand than its time for revenge - then i gonna eat THEM !!! :D

:D I had a hel_l of a night ! I tried to sleep but half an hour later i woke up because at least 6 mosquito stings all over the parts of my body which were not covered by the duvet were itching like hel_l. After curing them I tried to sleep and woke up half an hour later with the same problem and 6 more stings (or 10?). After the third round I took almost a bath in mosquito repellent which helped so far that I was able to sleep til the morning.

What could I do to 1. repell mosquitos right away (they love me for no reason :o ) or 2. to cure the stings? The best application for the stings that I know so far is toothpaste, which helps incredibly well but I'm looking for further advices.

What do you do? Any secrets to share how to avoid stings (e.g. what to eat/apply/wear)?

Eat Marmite - thats where the vitamin B12 is. Don't know how many jars but a friend of mine swears by it. It supposedly gets in your blood system and they don't like the taste!!

What is Marmite exactly? Something like yeast? Can I drink a wheat beer with lots of yeast instead? :o

Edited by Khun Yak

I am also a magnet for mosquitoes, my husband (Thai) never gets bitten.

We have screens on all the windows, however some of the little buggers still sneek in. It only takes one to zero in on my flesh.

I often use mosquitoe cream or sprays before bedtime if I have been bitten a few nights in a row otherwise I live with it.

I use Systral cream to take out the sting of the bites, works almost instantaneaoulsy and takes out the swelling. I have a tube in my car, in my purse and in drawers all over the house.

Just reading off the label of my jar - MARMITE - Yeast Extract - Contains B Vitamins - 100% vegetarian. Will take a jar on holiday with me this weekend and see if it works.

I was told a spoonful in the morning and another in the evening. (teaspoon that is). I think the equivilant in Australia is Vegemite.

The answer to the Mosquito Question - Kill Em, Kill em All!

I have a lot of swampy standing water areas outside my home's fence. I seem to remember that if you add something to the standing water, it keeps mosquito's from laying eggs on it, but for the life of me, I don' t remember what it is. Dish Soap? Oil?

Does anybody know what I am babbling about?

Peace

Size of a small mobile phone (works off 2 AA Batteries) you either clip it to your trousers/skirt or just leave it on the table where you are sitting. It gives out a high pitched noise that sounds (apparantly) like a Male Mosquito giving off "Keep away from me" messages. Works for a surrounding area of 8 metres.

IT WORKS. she never got bitten once and nor did anybody else sitting near her (she said she had never had so many freinds :D )

She bought it out of a catalouge, you know the ones with all these gizzmos that you always used to throw straight in the bin.

Only problem is she DID throw away the catalouge when she received it, but thinks she still may have the receipt as everyone she met while she was here wants one.

She also had this little "needle type thingy" whereby whenever any of us were not with her and got bit a few painless stabs with this gizzmo and you forgot you ever got bitten.

These gizzmos are really worth having in the constant "War on Mozzies" Once she has found out exactly where she bought them from she will let me know and I will really consider importing them by the container load :o

Searching the net seems to say that none of these ultrasonic mosquito repellers work at all. Some of them claim to work by making a male mosquito sound (as you mention) and that keeps away the pregnant female mosquitos because they're pregnant and don't want to be around males. Totally rediculous claim. Only pregnant female mosquitos are hungry? Or the other mosquitos eat something else? Other units claim their ultrasonic sound is the same as a bat and bats eat mosquitos so the mosquitos are afrraid of this sound. Others units claim to make the sound of a dragonfly. The mere fact that the various manufacturers/distributors of these devices can't even agree on the basic principle of the device's operation should immediately put up a red flag that it's all bogus. It seems that scientific tests show that mosquitos can't even hear. I'm sure some people will swear by the devices, but the general consensus is that they do absolutely nothing except releave you of some of your money and make the fraudulent manufacturers rich.

Err yes !!!!!!!!!!only pregnant females are hungry ...only the females need blood when pregnant the rest of the time they feed on plant sugars ... . as do the males . Scientific Fact ..

Just reading off the label of my jar - MARMITE - Yeast Extract - Contains B Vitamins - 100% vegetarian. Will take a jar on holiday with me this weekend and see if it works.

I'll be surprised if it does. I've been taking Vitamin B1-6-12 tablets three times a day for years and mosquitos still bite me.

One fact about Thailand though: If there is a mixed group of Thai and farang the mossies will always bite the farang and leave the Thais alone. :o

In fact, I've known quite a few Thais that mossies didn't touch. The only farang I've heard of who has never been bitten by mossies is the author of the book Phra Farang.

These gizzmos are really worth having in the constant "War on Mozzies" Once she has found out exactly where she bought them from she will let me know and I will really consider importing them by the container load :o

Err yes !!!!!!!!!!only pregnant females are hungry ...only the females need blood when pregnant the rest of the time they feed on plant sugars ... . as do the males . Scientific Fact ..

Ok, I did a bit of research and yes it is only female mosquitos that bite. But the fact remains that according to all trusted sources I could find, the ultrasonic mosquito repellers do absolutely nothing to prevent mosquito bites. Here's a link from the USA Center for Disease Control, talking about preventing mosquito bites.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/prevention.htm

They mention several suggestions for preventing bites, and then state

"Note: Vitamin B and "ultrasonic" devices are NOT effective in preventing mosquito bites."

If you or anyone else wants to waste your money on a product that has been proven to be totally ineffective, then be my guest. But I will never waste my money on such items, nor do anything to help the scammers who knowingly bilk billions of dollars from unwary consumers by making fantastic claims about their worthless products.

I'm not trying to get into any argument with anyone here about this subject, but simply want to warn everyone that respected government agencies say that the products are fraudulent. It's up to you what you do with that information.