Quality Of Thai Milk

JimmyTheMook

The Foremost Thailand website (http://www.frieslandcampina.com/english/about-us/brands/foremost.aspx):

says:

"Foremost is a big name in Thailand. As the largest purchaser of raw milk straight from the farm, Foremost is closely involved with dairy cooperatives. The farmers receive advice on the best way to feed and look after their cows. Because in our vision the production of milk does not start in the factory, but on the farm. This is reflected in the milk. If you choose Foremost, you know you are getting quality."

I sent them an email and asked whether their fresh milk is in fact fresh. I'll post the answer, if I get one.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyones prefrence seems to be Meiji and the biggest reason that I see everyone accuseing milk here of being powdered is shelf life. Ive had milk stay good for easily a month here maybe even longer. If you tried to do that with standard milk it would spoil an become all lumpy and the whole 9 yards.

Ive never in years of buying big 2l meiji 0% and whole for years now and even when i forget its there for a bit I can open it weeks later and its 100% fine no difference than the day i bought it.

• Like 1

Fresh milk is tricky stuff. I spent almost my entire life, until I came to Thailand on a farm and had two milk cows and several goats for milking. Milk is tricky. You want to make sure it stays cool. I always bring a cooler with a couple of frozen plastic bottles when I go shopping and make sure the milk is the last thing I buy and then put it directly in the cooler and head home to put it in the fridge.

If it has gotten warm--even at some point in the shipping--I can taste it immediately. It's not bad, but I can tell.

Ron19, an interesting post. I assume you have links for these numerous occasions over the past year or so where it has been proven that deliberately adulterated milk has been supplied to children by corrupt officials. Or did you just make it up!

If you are interested why on earth wouldn't you just verify it for yourself?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thailand+school+milk+scandal

it really isn't rocket science

Chokchai is a dairy farm , why are people saying the milk is powdered ?

Ages ago upcountry it was your only option. I love the taste of milk powder in coffee but will not consume as I dont trust it.

from not to long ago http://www.reuters.c...E73Q1AF20110427

No sign of "Mr it doesnt happen here Essexyboy" maybe he drank some milk????

• Like 1

A lot of misinformed people here.

Meji milk is not made of powder!!!!!

Its the real deal , and it actually tastes like fresh milk , maybe not as good as what I'm used to drink in Europe , but its as close as it will get.

Also you can check the bottle , the expiration date is there for a reason.

Ex, Ron does remember coorrectly. The suppliers in several provenmses were found to be supplying bad milk to the schools. They may be still operating under different name as the contacts seemed quite good, money wise. In fact there was quite a lot of the powered milk from China found in Thailand, subsquent to that story being broadcast to the world.

I have serious doubts to the perodic inspection, by any agency, so tasked, in this country. where consumables are concerned.

Thanks and by the way it didn't make it up.From memory the substandard milk was mainly watered down.By the way a poster that

is questioning my memory should look at the forum rules about quoting a particular newspaper.

Edited by Ron19

This might be a stupid question but why don't they have cows over? I can't believe how shit the milk is over there.

They do have cows, lots of dairy farms in the North-East.

http://dbms.thailand.com/storefront/storefront.php?view=overview&conco=TH&sid=TH1101

http://business.highbeam.com/137612/article-1G1-282742730/after-flood-despite-extensive-flooding-2011-thailand

I always wondered where the dairy farms were. Was trying to picture where there were rolling green pastures.

I watched a thai doco on a buffalo dairy where they made cheese, yoghurt etc.

Funny bit was when the worker was asked if she tried it she turned her nose up and proclaimed no way.

Can't remember where it was. Very dry area. Workers very north eastern.

Sent from my HTC One X

Agree. To quote myself:

"น้ำนมโค 100%" = 100% cow milk (nam nom kho 100%)

Checked it out and the back of the Dutch Mill container in thai says the same.

I don't think that means anything except 100% (powdered) cows milk.

If it were fresh (not powdered) it should say nam nom sot 100% which it does not.

I could be wrong, but I think we need more definitive proofsmile.png

If I mix water, at the correct mixture with powered cows milk, I have 100% cows milk I doubt that any of the facilities to treat/package fresh milk, do not have powered milk on hand, to keep the assembly line flowing. The 'consumer protection' groups are a fairly recent thing in Thailand, and as I have never found any non corrupt or non political agency in this country, I have no confidense in any claims or wording on packageing, much less the monitoring of same.

If I mix water, at the correct mixture with powered cows milk, I have 100% cows milk I doubt that any of the facilities to treat/package fresh milk, do not have powered milk on hand, to keep the assembly line flowing. The 'consumer protection' groups are a fairly recent thing in Thailand, and as I have never found any non corrupt or non political agency in this country, I have no confidense in any claims or wording on packageing, much less the monitoring of same.

I agree 100% with everything that you say in particular the issue of misleading labelling.

Fresh milk is tricky stuff. I spent almost my entire life, until I came to Thailand on a farm and had two milk cows and several goats for milking. Milk is tricky. You want to make sure it stays cool. I always bring a cooler with a couple of frozen plastic bottles when I go shopping and make sure the milk is the last thing I buy and then put it directly in the cooler and head home to put it in the fridge.

If it has gotten warm--even at some point in the shipping--I can taste it immediately. It's not bad, but I can tell.

When I was around 7/8 years old in Australia,we used to spend a lot of time on an aunties property in Darlington,an outer suburb of Perth.

They had one Jersey cow and the aunty used to boil the milk and then let it settle and then skimmed the clotted cream off the top.This was used

mainly with home made scones with home made stawberry jam.My mouth still waters just thinking about it even now.

Agree. To quote myself:

"น้ำนมโค 100%" = 100% cow milk (nam nom kho 100%)

Checked it out and the back of the Dutch Mill container in thai says the same.

I don't think that means anything except 100% (powdered) cows milk.

If it were fresh (not powdered) it should say nam nom sot 100% which it does not.

I could be wrong, but I think we need more definitive proofsmile.png

• Like 1

I have tried most of them. But now prefer 7 germinated rice milk. It has virtually no sugar, has 35% fibre, no bad fat, a lot of protein and tastes great. Probably not so good in tea or coffee. Comes in 200ml cartons, about 320 baht for boxes of 35+ from Macro.

Try Foremost. I agree that many have a rather off taste. Just like the beef. Have you seen the "Soi" cows that these food products come from. Skinny, spiked hair cows, wandering around the sois looking for garbage to eat.

But anyway, Foremost is pretty good.

Try Foremost. I agree that many have a rather off taste. Just like the beef. Have you seen the "Soi" cows that these food products come from. Skinny, spiked hair cows, wandering around the sois looking for garbage to eat.

They have dairy herds here, milk doesn't come from "soi cows eating garbage"

I have often wondered that myself. Thai milk tastes very sour to me. I wouldn't even call it milk. Perhaps it's the amount of preservatives? Considering they actually have a product here called sour milk, I think it's just what the Thai's prefer, so they make it that way. Dutch Mill, ChokChai, Meiji and Foremost all make me want to vomit. The best by far is Magnolia. Oddly, it's even better than the imported California Sunshine milk they occasionally have at Villa Market.

I think the reason certain brands are sour is that they get a little confused and milk the bull. Just a thought.

• Like 2

They have dairy herds here, milk doesn't come from "soi cows eating garbage"

That's what you think...

Finally, my stove-top Bialetti 1-cup with whipped up Foremost 0% milk, and a scrapping of fresh cinnamon over the top, makes as good a cup of coffee as I've had in any of the many tens of coffee shops around the country. It's great to be retired!

-

What coffee do you use?