Tukcom Sucks If Need Mid/High-End Computer Parts

TramsRepus

How did you figure that one out? They sell the full range of Sony products at exactly the same prices.

I did order stuff there. Was told not iin stock - willl take two weeks. After four weeks i went there to get my deposit back. Their answer was sorry big shop in bangkok no have.. The reciept for the depsit didnt say sony , so ichecked with sony thailand and they are not listed.

They wouldn't be able to sell Sony computers if they weren't registered. On the Sony website they only list 3 Sony Centres in Chonburi whereas there are many places which sell Sony products. I would guess that they would have to pay money to be listed on the site and many centres don't want to pay.

When you buy a product from a Sony shop the receipt will carry the name of the shop - this doesn't mean it's not a registered retail outlet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And guess what?

We aren't in the UK, check your address if you thought you were.

Brilliant. I hadn't noticed.

The point is that VAT is lower here, costs are lower here, wages are lower here, yet most prices are higher here and choice is very poor.

Things are also cheaper and more plentiful in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong, none of which are in the UK.

How could you miss the Sony and Apple shops on the ground floor. How much more high end do you need to go?

I haven't noticed an Apple shop on the ground floor,

where about is it and whats it called?

I'm aware of the one on the same floor where the phones are sold and another a floor or 2 up.

The name escapes me right now. It's right next to the Hatchiban Restaurant, on the left when heading toward the south exit doors.

iBeat or iStudio

No. iBeat is on the 3rd floor and iStudio is in Central. I'll have to go and check the receipt for the name.

Try Pattaya 2 U on the third or fourth floor. I just added some ram and I gave the manager the part number and he walked around till he found it. And yes you have to be careful at Tukcom as most places are a scam.

I have also bought memory there for a alder machine..... But try to find decent Hight spec memory there...

I've always got my bits and pieces from Hardware House in Tukcom. I've never had a problem with them and they usually have the parts in stock. High-end video cards? Yes we have. High-end sound cards? Yes we have. New motherboard? Yes. 2Tb disk drive? Yes. If you go to the established names in Tukcom, I don't think you'll have a problem.

I was there and looked at there shop. They had absolute nothing in term off mid or high-range products. And when i asked them they did not had a clue....

Hi TramsRepus

I can believe that there is no very high-end computer shop in Tuckom, the market is not so big for them in Pattaya, but for mid/high-end computer shops you should find all the most recent & popular components in shops like Banana IT of Hardaware House. Just chose your configuration, go drink a coffe, and come back take your new mounted super computer smile.png

IT City, on top floor, use to have brand name ready-to-use computers, some of them with strong configuration aimed to games. Some people prefer this way, even if more expensive.

I was there and talked to them yesterday.... "Mai mee, no have""

I recently spent 50'000 THB on a high end computer at J.I.B. in Tuk Com, which included a 17'000 THB graphics card. 16GB of 1600 Memory and a 10'000 THB i7 processor.

Do you actually need higher spec than that?

post-134820-0-78456600-1341388465_thumb.

Yes, it is a nice machine, but i would not call this a high-end machine, but a decent mid-end machine except for the graphic card that is the best single GPU that AMD have for now. This receipt is from a Bangkok branch though. So they probable asked Bangkok to build it and then shipped it down here.....

/T

Edited by TramsRepus

And guess what?

We aren't in the UK, check your address if you thought you were.

Brilliant. I hadn't noticed.

The point is that VAT is lower here, costs are lower here, wages are lower here, yet most prices are higher here and choice is very poor.

Things are also cheaper and more plentiful in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong, none of which are in the UK.

I guess you,ve not priced or bought cars here. Electronics has very high important duties just like many cars.

I guess you,ve not priced or bought cars here.

I have, actually. I think they are expensive too, though I am told that the same vehicle in AUS would cost a lot more than it would here.

What makes Tukom worse is that the sales people in the computer section are mostly some kid that knows nothing about what he/she is selling. (Usually busy playing video games/ talking to friend on cell phone, slurping on soup, or looking at their zits in a mirror...Too frustrating for me so I go to Bkk for my hi-tech shopping.

What makes Tukom worse is that the sales people in the computer section are mostly some kid that knows nothing about what he/she is selling. (Usually busy playing video games/ talking to friend on cell phone, slurping on soup, or looking at their zits in a mirror...Too frustrating for me so I go to Bkk for my hi-tech shopping.

You find the staff so annoying that you'd rather travel 5 or 6 hours in heavy traffic instead? You just enjoy travelling or get annoyed really easily. Normally people who have lived in Thailand for awhile develop some tolerance for minor frustrations. We even expect it.

It doesn't matter if the kid knows his stuff or not because if you know what you need you just order it - simple. They can get everything you need. You can also order stuff online from Thailand based computer stores.

High-End or just newest new ? I've found that if I notch it down about 3 months, all is in stock. Seems it dribbles down from BKK.

I've found the usual EMS/bank transfer online shops surprisingly relieble in TH, always arrived in 1-2 days. If they'd just get decent payment processors suc as PayPal here, I wouldn't bother with tukcom at all.

EDIT: at JIB there's sometimes a dude in the back room who assembles the PCs bought in parts. I had a talk with him couple of years back and he seemed to know his stuff. He's not a seller, but if you're looking for something more exotic, might be worth while to try to get his attention.

Edited by DrTuner

you get nearly all the common stuff here, but.if you looking for high-end (liquid-cooled i7 extreme) or ssd's that do more than 560 mb/s you are better off in bkk. If you need an normal i7- for 900 thb to do an bus ride from pats to bkk ? hell no!

Edited by JakeBKK

last trip my mate who lives there had one built at hardware house. he ordered what he wanted at 14 00 and we picked up the tower at 18 00 built to his requested spec.

he bought his last one there about 8 years ago and has been happy with their service.

How could you miss the Sony and Apple shops on the ground floor. How much more high end do you need to go?

I wouldn't buy anything Sony from that shop as I don't like their attitude, but the Apple shop is a good shop with good service and none of the ridiculous nonsense you come across at the Apple store in Central.

I hate to contradict you, but that "Apple-Store" at the ground-level in Tuk-Com is NOT an officially registered Apple Retailer ! ! ! Found-out to my dismay, when my partner purchased an i-Phone there, recently. Turned-out that this operator "imports" (read: Grey-Import) directly from some big wholesaler in the States and then cracks them for Thailand . . . . . . do I need to continue ? ? ? What a drama, with this stupid phone ! ! ! Would not work properly and suddenly freeze-up etc. When my mate went back there, they blamed AIS; the Card; TOT and all; except for themselves. The ONLY reason my friend got a full refund was because the stayed in that shop and informed every new customer that walked-in what a absolute RIP-OFF this shop represented ! ! After about 1 hour (and losing many potential sales) my friend got his money back; went upstairs and bought a genuine Blackberry ! ! ! Be warned ! ! ! w00t.gif

You find the staff so annoying that you'd rather travel 5 or 6 hours in heavy traffic instead? You just enjoy travelling or get annoyed really easily. Normally people who have lived in Thailand for awhile develop some tolerance for minor frustrations. We even expect it.

It doesn't matter if the kid knows his stuff or not because if you know what you need you just order it - simple. They can get everything you need. You can also order stuff online from Thailand based computer stores.

NOTE: I go to BKK a couple times a month and (unlike you) it doesn't take me 5-6 hours to get to downtown. Sad, that you "expect" poor customer service. There are places in Bangkok that train their staff and can find what you want.

NOTE: I go to BKK a couple times a month and (unlike you) it doesn't take me 5-6 hours to get to downtown. Sad, that you "expect" poor customer service. There are places in Bangkok that train their staff and can find what you want.

"Sad to expect poor customer service"? Not as sad as spending 5 - 6 hours traveling to Bangkok and finding the customer service is the same - which it is. There's good and bad here and in Bangkok.

NOTE: It's good to know that you go to BKK a couple of times a month, but many people don't and would never do that.

The 5-6 hours traveling time was conservative and far too low actually. The actual bus traveling time is about 5 - 6 hours. Then there's the travel to and from the bus station in Pattaya. The waiting for a bus in Pattaya and Bangkok. The transport from the bus station to your amazing computer shop and back. More like 8 hours. A whole day wasted to get what you can easily get down here if you were more patient and didn't get frustrated so easily.

Edited by tropo

I guess you,ve not priced or bought cars here.

I have, actually. I think they are expensive too, though I am told that the same vehicle in AUS would cost a lot more than it would here.

Actually, not correct, cars are less expensive in Australia, but pickups are more expensive although more standard fittings due to regulatory requirements. Also due to higher incomes more affordable

I wouldn't buy anything Sony from that shop as I don't like their attitude, but the Apple shop is a good shop with good service and none of the ridiculous nonsense you come across at the Apple store in Central.

I hate to contradict you, but that "Apple-Store" at the ground-level in Tuk-Com is NOT an officially registered Apple Retailer ! ! ! Found-out to my dismay, when my partner purchased an i-Phone there, recently. Turned-out that this operator "imports" (read: Grey-Import) directly from some big wholesaler in the States and then cracks them for Thailand . . . . . . do I need to continue ? ? ? What a drama, with this stupid phone ! ! ! Would not work properly and suddenly freeze-up etc. When my mate went back there, they blamed AIS; the Card; TOT and all; except for themselves. The ONLY reason my friend got a full refund was because the stayed in that shop and informed every new customer that walked-in what a absolute RIP-OFF this shop represented ! ! After about 1 hour (and losing many potential sales) my friend got his money back; went upstairs and bought a genuine Blackberry ! ! ! Be warned ! ! ! w00t.gif

I bought a MacBook Air there late last year. Saved quite a few thousand because they provided an English only keyboard for the same price whereas the iStudio shop in Central wanted an extra 3000 for it.

No complaints at all. Put down a deposit and received the computer earlier than expected.

Should be a start on that bigger e-penis IF YOU CAN WAIT a few days for delivery. Need more? But really best to just leave PTY and go back to BKK. Now, you could just move to a HIGHLY ADVANCED Western country (and stop silly complaints here) but guess what--you'd HAVE TO WAIT for delivery from Amazon or Newegg or wherever!!!

Now, have we yet groused over the intolerable scarcity of pickled beet root in Pattaya? OMG! Doesn't it just make you lose the will to live?

These guys can't wait 3 days for the delivery of a computer part from Bangkok? I have to wait about 3 weeks for health supplements to be shipped from the US. Think about all the health problems I'm developing having to wait so long.smile.png I don't mind at all. Pattaya is still the only place I'd live in Thailand.

I remember in the 80's I lived quite well without a cellphone or Cable TV. I survived the 60's without a colour TV.

What sort of person can't wait 3 days for a.... CORE i7 3960X 6/12 3.30GHz 15MB LGA2011 (NO SINK) for B34100?

BTW, I've never seen Friendship dry on "pickled beetroot".

Edited by tropo

Should be a start on that bigger e-penis IF YOU CAN WAIT a few days for delivery. Need more? But really best to just leave PTY and go back to BKK. Now, you could just move to a HIGHLY ADVANCED Western country (and stop silly complaints here) but guess what--you'd HAVE TO WAIT for delivery from Amazon or Newegg or wherever!!!

Now, have we yet groused over the intolerable scarcity of pickled beet root in Pattaya? OMG! Doesn't it just make you lose the will to live?

Why wait? I love to go to bkk =-))) There is nothing better than hitting zeer =) And you find stuff you'll never need and you buy it anyway !

These guys can't wait 3 days for the delivery of a computer part from Bangkok? I have to wait about 3 weeks for health supplements to be shipped from the US. Think about all the health problems I'm developing having to wait so long.smile.png I don't mind at all. Pattaya is still the only place I'd live in Thailand.

I remember in the 80's I lived quite well without a cellphone or Cable TV. I survived the 60's without a colour TV.

What sort of person can't wait 3 days for a.... CORE i7 3960X 6/12 3.30GHz 15MB LGA2011 (NO SINK) for B34100?

BTW, I've never seen Friendship dry on "pickled beetroot".

Why wait? shopping at zeer is really fun! and you allways find nice stuff like an usb helicopter pad ( just kidding ) ......... if you spend 1000 thb on it gear in bkk youhave a free bus trip anyway!

Edited by JakeBKK

Problem is that all shops I did see offer "High-End" parts in Thailand, overcharge so dramatically

that I rather mail order the items and wait for them two weeks. Still save a bundle ... and time is

cheap here, all the money I safe I can go to walking street and blow and hookers and booze, lol ....

luudee

• Like 1

Someone mentioned InvadeIT above, and I've been VERY pleased with them. Besides the merchandise listed on their website (http://invadeit.co.th/), if you want something that's not listed, by all means e-mail (usually reply same or next day) or phone and ask if they can get it. I was pleasantly surprised when I was looking for a SATA3 PCIe add-in card, and Thomas got one for me.

• 1 month later...

The OP just wants to be able to walk into a shop and buy something a bit better than standard, whether waterblocks or GTX 690.. Nothing wrong with that.

And I just want a shop selling new Harleys w/ no import tax. So? You've missed the point, not surprisingly. It isn't wrong to want something ridiculous, but it's merely fanciful and certainly silly to complain about it, esp. on a public forum.

OP has no problem w/ BKK shops, but here he's come to a small Third World resort city known only for bars, beach, and babes, hardly Palo Alto, and complains 'cause he can't find waterblocks etc. It SUCKS. Really.

Nowhere in the world is there a comparable city to PTY with such shops meeting such a miniscule upscale hobbyist market as the OP thinks should be here. The reason is completely obvious as I noted previously.

sometimes you need a part ASAP and going to a well stocked shop helps the process smile.png

No, it doesn't. Browsing a parts website at your leisure helps more because the specs are clearly published, and reviews, comparisons, and possibly forum discussions available. Ordering online saves time and fuel. If the OP will soil his knickers if he has to wait a couple of days, then BKK is only 2 hours away. Problem? Seems the OP has too much time on his hands anyway.

My first PC was a store bought system, many years ago. Since then I have built all my own machines.

Yawn.

It has nothing to do with living closer to the beach

Oh, but the OP's complaint has everything to do w/ living in PTY, and PTY has, from its humble beginnings, everything to do w/ being close to the beach. Logic, logic.

Edited by JSixpack

I recently did a computer upgrade

celeron -> i53570k

6gb ddr2 -> 8gb kingston ddr3 1600

asus p5 mb -> gb z77 mb

gtx7800 -> radeon hd6850

found all the parts in stock at tukcom, I think I got very good price/value with my upgrade. Is it really worth spending 5x more to get a few more fps in a game or more idle cpu cycles ? I don't think so but if you have money to waste then jump into a car/taxi and head to fortune city in bkk and stop whining. oh and last word it's usually a wiser choice to have 2 mid range gfx cards in SLI than to buy the top end ripoff...