Anyone Planning On Getting A Sex Change Operation In Bangkok?

nosinski

Hi

I am writing an article and doing a video on sex changes in Bangkok for the Thailawforum. However, I don't just want to do an overview and would like to make it a bit more personal.

I am asking to see if anyone who is planning on going through a sex change operation would let me tell their story and let others know why the decision was made and a follow-up after the surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

More to the point why has he come to a gay forum to ask for interviewees? Why does he assume that anyone who wants to chop their nads off is gay?

Every heard about something like "LGBT"?

First time when I saw this community forum here on TV, I asked myself do lesbians, bisexuals and trans have each their own forum. Why this forum is supposedly only for gay men is puzzling me.

Edited by Morakot

More to the point why has he come to a gay forum to ask for interviewees? Why does he assume that anyone who wants to chop their nads off is gay?

First time when I saw this community forum here on TV, I asked myself do lesbians, bisexuals and trans have each their own forum. Why this forum is supposedly only for gay men is puzzling me.

Sensitive folk...they need extra protection.

Hi samsiam,

Any help is appreciated. Even though the title is Thailawforum we cover a range of stories. We used to just cover law (hence the 'law') related topics but have since expanded-just not changed the name.

The reason for doing this is not to exploit but explain. Like I wrote before, I want this to have a personal feel so people unfamiliar with the topic can really understand what someone is going through and if after the surgery they do feel that it was the right decision.

I think this is a story that would clear up many misconceptions some people have of getting this surgery.

Sensitive folk...they need extra protection.

No we just need somewhere where we can have a rest from the more inane breeders.

Edited by endure

Hi samsiam,

Any help is appreciated. Even though the title is Thailawforum we cover a range of stories. We used to just cover law (hence the 'law') related topics but have since expanded-just not changed the name.

The reason for doing this is not to exploit but explain. Like I wrote before, I want this to have a personal feel so people unfamiliar with the topic can really understand what someone is going through and if after the surgery they do feel that it was the right decision.

I think this is a story that would clear up many misconceptions some people have of getting this surgery.

One of the misconceptions that a lot of people labour under is that a forum almost exclusively populated by gay men (whether that's good or bad is another matter) will be any more knowledgeable about men who want to transform themselves into women than any other section of the population.

Edited by endure

Hi samsiam,

One of the misconceptions that a lot of people labour under is that a forum almost exclusively populated by gay men (whether that's good or bad is another matter) will be any more knowledgeable about men who want to transform themselves into women than any other section of the population.

So you are saying this forum almost exclusively used by gay men? Maybe a little bit of wish fulfillment? Many thread suggest otherwise, including this one.

Edited by Morakot

Hi samsiam,

So you are saying this forum almost exclusively used by gay men? Maybe a little bit of wish fulfillment? Many thread suggest otherwise, including this one.

If you'd spent much time in here you'd see that it is indeed almost exclusively used by gay men. That's not wish fulfillment - simply a fact. This thread was started by a jounalist/lawyer writing an article. It wasn't started by a transsexual. We do get the occasional lesbian in here but not very many which is a shame as they're very welcome. We sometimes also get threads started by cross-dressers who seem surprised and disappointed by the lack of response they get. I was pointing out that asking gay men (that is men who are almost universally attracted to OTHER MEN) about the motivations of someone who wants to be a woman is pretty much a waste of breath.

BTW the gay forum was set up as somewhere for us gay folks and our friends to hang around in without having to justify and explain our existence to passing strangers who haven't actually thought the 'gay thing' through yet.

We do get the occasional lesbian in here but not very many which is a shame as they're very welcome.

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps it might also something to do with the name of this community forum.

I am Morakot and live in Thailand. I am interested in the construction of sexual and gender identities. Pleased to meet you!

Edited by Morakot

I am Morakot and live in Thailand. I am interested in the construction of sexual and gender identities.

What does that mean? You might want to start a new thread with this topic, could be interesting.

I have no problem with the OP posting his question here. I am not sure that he will get a lot of replies on-list (this subforum does indeed seem to have more gay men posting that anything) but since it is open to all member of the GLBT community, we might have many lurkers. I have no idea whether true, but I can imagine (and hope) that some people in his target group might have contacted him by PM already.

We do get the occasional lesbian in here but not very many which is a shame as they're very welcome.

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps it might also something to do with the name of this community forum.

Do you think there's something wrong with 'Gay People in Thailand'? It seems quite inclusive to me as the title of a gay forum. People are men and women. I think it's the lack of response that's the problem. I don't know if there are any forums devoted to lesbianism in Thailand. If there were we could point them in that direction.

I suppose the question is do you want an exclusive gay man forum. That's fine . Then call it the Gay Man forum, and don't call it the Gay People forum, a term which is pretty inclusive and is going to invite posts from lesbians, transsexuals, and the like.I shudder to think what these people feel when they make a genuine enquiry and get some sort of caveman response.

I suppose the question is do you want an exclusive gay man forum. That's fine . Then call it the Gay Man forum, and don't call it the Gay People forum, a term which is pretty inclusive and is going to invite posts from lesbians, transsexuals, and the like.I shudder to think what these people feel when they make a genuine enquiry and get some sort of caveman response.

That is exactly my concern too. I'm happy to start a new thread.

I very much doubt that the Admin would be inclined to change the name of the sub-forum for a variety of reasons, one being that it would cause some technical problems. I can just imagine the howls and complaints if it had been started as the Gay Men's forum.

In my opinion, people who identify themselves as gay or have concerns that can best be addressed in this forum are welcome to post here. Having sexual identity issues is rather complex and probably one of the first doors people will open is the 'gay' door. They might well find out, as Chaz Bono did, gay was not the right label.

At any rate this topic is about 'sex change.'

Well I can suggest a new title for a sub-forum, The Polyphormous Perverse. It's a bit like any disparate group brought together under persecution. There are no real common interests apart from the persecution. In fact you don't really need a Gay Man's thread, cos this is pretty much accepted throughout the Western World. And there's a lot of money to be made in catering to this market. It's pretty much mainstream. I suspect the next big thing will be the cross-dressing, transgender, transsexual thing. Again, a lot of money to be made. And in 5-10 years it will be pretty normal, and the whole Gay thing will be considered boring and old hat. "Oh, you're gay, so what!" "Now you used to be a man/woman, that's interesting." The truth is that society persecutes those it sees as threats, if you suddenly turn into a money-making opportunity, everyone will love you. And this is where the whole transgender thing is going, what with medical SRS operations and FHT treatments, and the whole gamut of internet opportunities (whether this be to buy or simply get information). What happens after that, I don't know. I suspect most of us will settle back into our biologically assigned roles, after we've had the chance to experiment a bit. Maybe one or two will change roles permanently. The problem at the moment is that we are not allowed to experiment, either with being gay (like it seems a permanent label), or being a female, or indeed being a male. If you do any of these things you're stuck wiv this for the rest of your life. I like the idea of being able to change roles - try being gay, try being female, try being male - and choose the one you like best. I know this is anathema to those who believe they have no choice, but I've already said one or two of us will be compelled to adopt a certain persona. For the vast majority I do think it will be a choice. You will choose to be gay, you will choose to be female, or you will choose to be male. The problem at the moment is we have no choice, we are forced into certain roles. You, and I, know that there are people out there who are basically living a farce. They'd love to be gay, or they'd love to be male, or they'd love to be female, or at least try it. And they can't, for whatever reasons, be it societal expectations or family pressure. So they become all twisted and cause a lot of the pain in this world. Now wouldn't it be a lot better if people just assumed the roles they're best suited to. The men protect, the women care, and the gays oil the wheels. OK, I simplify. Most men love to protect, it makes them feel strong (I don't know, maybe John Wayne's screen persona is a good example) . Most women love to care, it makes them feel wanted (here I'd maybe go for a Mother Teresa figure) . And most gays love to oil the social wheels, because it makes them the center of attention (no contest, Oscar Wilde). This is alll bullshit I know. But I am interested in the questions it raises. Nothing I've said is meant to be taken seriously but I'm just exploring various issues or trains of thought within my own mind. I'd appreciate your input.

• Like 1

Actually your article might want to include some investigative reporting re the "quack" operators out there!

Had a distant relative called me a few years back from a BKK clinic ....in a terrible state... for advice/help in repatriating after undergoing surgery...massive infection apparently and butchered; he is now back home and has morphed into his (now her) new life/personality but still has pain and other problems. Luckily she has a very strong character.

This man or woman being trapped in the wrong body thing is definitely not about homosexually (at least in his case) as this guy was the ultimate macho, bush camping , hunting ..never seemed to take his hands off his very attractive wife etc. Spent a lot of time with him .......seems this identity thing hit him late in life.....late 50s I think..

His wife?..don't know what happened to her but she is out of the picture now for sure...poor lass.

Well I can suggest a new title for a sub-forum, The Polyphormous Perverse.

Good question; so what is normal? I think an interesting focus could also be what kind of diverse forms of sexualities are there. How do these different forms relate to other issues such as gender and day-to-day interactions. How do sexualities change throughout individual life experience and how is this experienced in Thailand? The problem with psychoanalytical directions, as polymorphous perversity may suggest, is the bitter taste of moralising tendencies: normal v abnormal.

In terms of having a new sub-forum, yes that's generally a good idea. However, once the name is chosen it will be set in stone and can almost never change until the end of time, because higher forces such as search term and revenue generating markers will dictate the course of its perpetual unchanged existence. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Morakot

Well I can suggest a new title for a sub-forum, The Polyphormous Perverse. It's a bit like any disparate group brought together under persecution. There are no real common interests apart from the persecution. In fact you don't really need a Gay Man's thread, cos this is pretty much accepted throughout the Western World. And there's a lot of money to be made in catering to this market. It's pretty much mainstream. I suspect the next big thing will be the cross-dressing, transgender, transsexual thing. Again, a lot of money to be made. And in 5-10 years it will be pretty normal, and the whole Gay thing will be considered boring and old hat. "Oh, you're gay, so what!" "Now you used to be a man/woman, that's interesting." The truth is that society persecutes those it sees as threats, if you suddenly turn into a money-making opportunity, everyone will love you. And this is where the whole transgender thing is going, what with medical SRS operations and FHT treatments, and the whole gamut of internet opportunities (whether this be to buy or simply get information). What happens after that, I don't know. I suspect most of us will settle back into our biologically assigned roles, after we've had the chance to experiment a bit. Maybe one or two will change roles permanently. The problem at the moment is that we are not allowed to experiment, either with being gay (like it seems a permanent label), or being a female, or indeed being a male. If you do any of these things you're stuck wiv this for the rest of your life. I like the idea of being able to change roles - try being gay, try being female, try being male - and choose the one you like best. I know this is anathema to those who believe they have no choice, but I've already said one or two of us will be compelled to adopt a certain persona. For the vast majority I do think it will be a choice. You will choose to be gay, you will choose to be female, or you will choose to be male. The problem at the moment is we have no choice, we are forced into certain roles. You, and I, know that there are people out there who are basically living a farce. They'd love to be gay, or they'd love to be male, or they'd love to be female, or at least try it. And they can't, for whatever reasons, be it societal expectations or family pressure. So they become all twisted and cause a lot of the pain in this world. Now wouldn't it be a lot better if people just assumed the roles they're best suited to. The men protect, the women care, and the gays oil the wheels. OK, I simplify. Most men love to protect, it makes them feel strong (I don't know, maybe John Wayne's screen persona is a good example) . Most women love to care, it makes them feel wanted (here I'd maybe go for a Mother Teresa figure) . And most gays love to oil the social wheels, because it makes them the center of attention (no contest, Oscar Wilde). This is alll bullshit I know. But I am interested in the questions it raises. Nothing I've said is meant to be taken seriously but I'm just exploring various issues or trains of thought within my own mind. I'd appreciate your input.

What a senseless drivel. No, I did not choose to be gay because it was chique, I realised one day that I liked boys rather than girls and thought I was the only one in the world. In order countries, people commit suicide or get prosecuted and face the death penalty for being gay. Nothing chique or fashionable about that.