676 Australia Tourist Visa As Opposed To No Further Stay Condition.

Hi missymoo. Lots have been written about this class of Visa.

You could read Australian Tourist Visa Application.

I wrote the personal log of what my Thai gf did to obtain her 676 Visa.

It may help you as a guide.

As for the condition 8503 is the ‘No Further Stay’ condition.

Some get it ... some don't.

Don't be concerned by the wording of 'no further stay' ... it simply means that you must leave Australia before the Visa expires ... not that you can't apply for another Visa once you have left Australia.

From the Government's website ...

What condition 8503 means

If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa (other than a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind) to extend your stay while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas.

You can read more about the 'no further stay' condition here

Don't be concerned by the wording of 'no further stay' ... it simply means that you must leave Australia before the Visa expires ... not that you can't apply for another Visa once you have left Australia.

If condition 8503 has been imposed on your visa, it means you cannot apply for another visa (other than a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind) to extend your stay while you are in Australia. Once you depart Australia condition 8503 will not prevent you from applying for other visas.

I am going out on a limb here and saying that the reason OP is asking about NFS, is that she doesn't want

the person to go home.

Just a hunch, but her previous posts about visa's for relatives give me that impression. Why the question about

8503 if it's just for a "straight" tourist visa?

I may be wrong though, wouldn't be the first timebiggrin.png

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am going out on a limb here and saying that the reason OP is asking about NFS, is that she doesn't want

the person to go home.

Just a hunch, but her previous posts about visa's for relatives give me that impression. Why the question about

8503 if it's just for a "straight" tourist visa?

I may be wrong though, wouldn't be the first timebiggrin.png

Regards

Will

Actually Will, you are wrong! biggrin.png

I asked because I want to bring my dad for a holiday to Australia for the last time before I move back to Thailand. However as he hasn't really been overseas before and he can not speak English, I am unsure of how long he would want to be here. I don't want to pay for a longer visa as he might turn around and want to go home after a week. He is known to do a 360 on decisions before.

I just thought it would be a better option to have an 'open' visa and be able to extend if he likes it and wants to see more of Australia.

Back to the question though...what stops the immigration from slapping on a no further stay on every single visa application? It doesn't make sense to me why there is no real guideline of who gets a stamp and who doesn't.

Edited by missymoo

Back to the question though...what stops the immigration from slapping on a no further stay on every single visa application? It doesn't make sense to me why there is no real guideline of who gets a stamp and who doesn't.

Hi there missymoo ... there is some information here that might help you understand why.

Why condition 8503 is imposed on some visas

Use of condition 8503 allows the department to grant more visas in those cases where extra surety may be needed that a visa applicant will depart Australia at the end of the period of stay allowed for by the visa.

It has been successful in increasing the number of visas that are granted while reducing the number of people who try to stay in Australia beyond the period allowed for by the visa.

Source

And ...

Examples of when it is imposed

Condition 8503 may be imposed if the applicant needs to travel in particularly compelling circumstances but normally it would not be appropriate to grant the visa because there are health, character or previous compliance issues. Some examples of compelling circumstances include:

• a particular family event, e.g. a wedding, christening, funeral or family reunion;
  • urgent legal matters; and
  • settling affairs after a prior lengthy stay in Australia.

Many Tourist visas will have condition 8503 attached even if the applicant does not fall within the above categories and all Sponsored Family Visitor visas will have it attached.

Examples of when it is not imposed

Generally an 8503 condition will not be imposed if the applicant is travelling due to serious illness or pregnancy of a family member.

This is decided as a policy because it is too distressing if the person is dying or does not have the baby in time and the applicant has to leave because they are not able to extend their visa or apply for a second visa.

Source

Hope that helps a little ...

I have have been in possession of 676 with a NFS executed on it.

I was also required to submit.. the following..

Financial requirements

You must have access to sufficient funds to cover all costs for the duration of your stay in Australia, including health/travel insurance if required. You may be asked to provide evidence of your funds.

Examples:
personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, taxation records, credit card limit.

The above neednt be applicable for the Visa holder but you as "caretaker" Missymon can also provide assurance for your father.

As a Brit, we enjoy reciprocal healthcare, and this is where your father in all probability will have to have health insurance.

I was surprised at having NFS conditions imposed upon me, after having a discussion with DIAC this is very much left to the discretion of the issuing officer.

missymoo

Given your fathers health and age, I would be

applying for a s/c 679 family sponsored visa instead.

of a s/c 676.

At 73, I don't think he will require a medical but under

the circumstances, I think the 679 is better suited.

All the best.

Will

Edited by Will27

Hi Will, why do you think 679 is better please?

Hey missymoo

The main reason is that I think they're easier to obtain.

Bascially, being a family member, you sponsor the applicant

which in this case will be your father.

The application is lodged by you in Australia and you will

deal with DIAC.

DIAC may look upon your father as a being a "high risk" case

due to his health problems that you've mentioned before.

Because of this, they may ask for a bond which is of course

refundable once your father leaves Australia.

This is just my opinion of course. Others may have different ideas.

Here is some more on the S/C 679 visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/visiting-family/679/

Regards

Will

Hi there missymoo ... there is some information here that might help you understand why.

Why condition 8503 is imposed on some visas

Use of condition 8503 allows the department to grant more visas in those cases where extra surety may be needed that a visa applicant will depart Australia at the end of the period of stay allowed for by the visa.

It has been successful in increasing the number of visas that are granted while reducing the number of people who try to stay in Australia beyond the period allowed for by the visa.

Source

And ...

Examples of when it is imposed

Condition 8503 may be imposed if the applicant needs to travel in particularly compelling circumstances but normally it would not be appropriate to grant the visa because there are health, character or previous compliance issues. Some examples of compelling circumstances include:

• a particular family event, e.g. a wedding, christening, funeral or family reunion;
  • urgent legal matters; and
  • settling affairs after a prior lengthy stay in Australia.

Many Tourist visas will have condition 8503 attached even if the applicant does not fall within the above categories and all Sponsored Family Visitor visas will have it attached.

Examples of when it is not imposed

Generally an 8503 condition will not be imposed if the applicant is travelling due to serious illness or pregnancy of a family member.

This is decided as a policy because it is too distressing if the person is dying or does not have the baby in time and the applicant has to leave because they are not able to extend their visa or apply for a second visa.

Source

Hope that helps a little ...

Thai lady friend of ours with PR married to Aus citizen recently had her teenage daughter visit here here in Australia on a Tourist Visa.

There was no 8503 condition attached.