Why Oh Why Do They Do It? (Motorbike Rentals)

I noticed a couple chalk marks (or sprayed) on the ring road just before Makro coming from Bophut this morning. It looked like the outline of 2 bodies. I've never seen this here before, could it be being done as an awareness campaign or was it actually where 2 people died? Made me think as I passed. They should spray these marks all over the island.

The last couple of days I've seen some of the worst scooter riders on the ring road. There is enough to deal with without newbies in la-la land. They really don't know how close to death they are. Like a young springbok detached from the herd totally oblivious to 2 cement mixers, 5 beer trucks and 8 minivans circling!

Normally spay paint around dead bodies of a road accident this is standard practice all over Thai.

I didn't even know neutering paint existed....technology moves fast doesn't it wink.png

cheesy.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheesy.gif LOL, sorry not laughing at the people being injured but at the scenario

Just witnessed same if not worse case.

One of the guests in my hotel, decided he wants to rent the bike, i did ask him if he knows how to ride and the answer was yes sure.

Anyhow, after doing all the paperwork, he jumps on the bike, starts it and with full throttle goes straight into the middle of the road.

Hotel is located on the main road, so he went right across 4 lanes. went down and by pure miracle was not run over by an oncoming bus.

That ended his rental period, sad.png

A mate of mine, has a bike rental shop.

a group of 4 Korean guys came to rent 2 bikes.

First 2, got all the paperwork done, jumped on the bike and drove straight into the wall of the building next door.

Next 2, swore they could ride and no problem, well these 2 not only drove straight into the wall, but also through the wooden fence, into the restairant next door, knocking down 2 tables and few chairs(lucky there were no people eating at those tables)

Naturally the lot were not able to continue to rent and were made to pay not only for the bikes, but damage to the restaurant

While all was scary to watch, it was also very funny, i guess its like a black humor

funnily enough finding an honest driver is harder than learning to ride a bike. catch 22. or maybe the same as trying to catch a .22 mm

I think you'll find it marks the position & direction of vehicles rather than bodies.

position and direction of VEHICLE In the shape of human body?blink.png

no expert here, but i always thought they used arrows for that, not humans to lie down on the road and spray around them.

and i seriously doubt they used a blow up doll, since sex toys are illegal in Thailand

They spay position of wheels of a car (4 small squares) , and tires (2 semi round) for a bike and arrows marking direction.

Maybe they mark pedestrians with a body?

Noit is Thai graffetti. Thai style. the police like to do it when they are bored. cars and motor bikes are people too u know.

cheesy.gif LOL, sorry not laughing at the people being injured but at the scenario

One of the guests in my hotel, decided he wants to rent the bike, i did ask him if he knows how to ride and the answer was yes sure.

Anyhow, after doing all the paperwork, he jumps on the bike, starts it and with full throttle goes straight into the middle of the road.

Hotel is located on the main road, so he went right across 4 lanes. went down and by pure miracle was not run over by an oncoming bus.

First 2, got all the paperwork done, jumped on the bike and drove straight into the wall of the building next door.

Next 2, swore they could ride and no problem, well these 2 not only drove straight into the wall, but also through the wooden fence, into the restairant next door, knocking down 2 tables and few chairs(lucky there were no people eating at those tables)

Naturally the lot were not able to continue to rent and were made to pay not only for the bikes, but damage to the restaurant

While all was scary to watch, it was also very funny, i guess its like a black humor

funnily enough finding an honest driver is harder than learning to ride a bike. catch 22. or maybe the same as trying to catch a .22 mm

sorry but you lost me after the driver, though it would not be the first timetongue.png

• Like 1

I think you'll find it marks the position & direction of vehicles rather than bodies.

position and direction of VEHICLE In the shape of human body?blink.png

no expert here, but i always thought they used arrows for that, not humans to lie down on the road and spray around them.

and i seriously doubt they used a blow up doll, since sex toys are illegal in Thailand

They spay position of wheels of a car (4 small squares) , and tires (2 semi round) for a bike and arrows marking direction.

Maybe they mark pedestrians with a body?

Noit is Thai graffetti. Thai style. the police like to do it when they are bored. cars and motor bikes are people too u know.

I always thought their cure for boredom was issuing some unsolicited fineslaugh.png

I always thought their cure for boredom was issuing some unsolicited fineslaugh.png

well the paint aint free )

well the paint aint free )

true that, i am surprised we have not been charged yet for driving over their master piecescheesy.gif

.22 bullet is .22 inches, .22mm is a thick hair's width. A few years back I had an English father and son (about 15) want to rent 2 NSR150s from me, Dad claiming they were both experienced riders. But it was obvious the lad wasn't capable of handling the bike and I refused him the NSR and put him on a Wave S. Less than 24hrs later, he locked the front brake with the throttle wide open and plowed across the road into an oncoming bike. 2 day's later dad ran off the road and hit a wall - besides major front end damage, he left a dent about 1/2" deep in the fuel tank, created by impact of his testicles.

• Like 1

.22 bullet is .22 inches, .22mm is a thick hair's width. A few years back I had an English father and son (about 15) want to rent 2 NSR150s from me, Dad claiming they were both experienced riders. But it was obvious the lad wasn't capable of handling the bike and I refused him the NSR and put him on a Wave S. Less than 24hrs later, he locked the front brake with the throttle wide open and plowed across the road into an oncoming bike. 2 day's later dad ran off the road and hit a wall - besides major front end damage, he left a dent about 1/2" deep in the fuel tank, created by impact of his testicles.

screw the bike, how were his testicles after the impact? scrambled or fried? loltongue.png

Back on the subject of people never having ridden a bike, I took a mate for a ride years ago and as I leaned to go around a corner he leaned the other way cos he thought we falling over.

We nearly did.shock1.gif

Edited by krading
  • Like 2

A lot bigger than the 1/2 inch size they were before hand.rolleyes.gif

were you the guy described in the story? or did you have the same experience to know the exact size after and before the impact?w00t.gif

Edited by phl

i think a .22 mm ora22 inch bullet would have been less damaging. only one bullet.

.22 mm bullets are very small.

But it was obvious the lad wasn't capable of handling the bike and I refused him the NSR and put him on a Wave S. Less than 24hrs later, he locked the front brake with the throttle wide open and plowed across the road into an oncoming bike. 2 day's later dad ran off the road and hit a wall...

Why would anyone rent to someone when you know that person is an accident waiting to happen? We've all seen people we know have no business being on a bike. I mean you can joke about accidents, but the fact is that putting a bike in control of someone who is liable to be injured seems grossly negligent. If the tourist insists on renting a bike, let them do it somewhere else; I certainly don't want to be the one who facilitates an injury or death.

• Like 2

But it was obvious the lad wasn't capable of handling the bike and I refused him the NSR and put him on a Wave S. Less than 24hrs later, he locked the front brake with the throttle wide open and plowed across the road into an oncoming bike. 2 day's later dad ran off the road and hit a wall...

Why would anyone rent to someone when you know that person is an accident waiting to happen? We've all seen people we know have no business being on a bike. I mean you can joke about accidents, but the fact is that putting a bike in control of someone who is liable to be injured seems grossly negligent. If the tourist insists on renting a bike, let them do it somewhere else; I certainly don't want to be the one who facilitates an injury or death.

you party pooper!!! boooooo

Unfortunately too many people can't see beyond a buck

I never rented a bike on Samui. I knew I didn't know how to ride one and everywhere I went involved several alcoholic drinks. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that a recipe for disaster. Why do people lie to a renter - and to themselves - that they can ride? Because they are idiots.

screw the bike, how were his testicles after the impact? scrambled or fried? loltongue.png

A lot bigger than the 1/2 inch size they were before hand.rolleyes.gif

well at least in Thailand u can make money if u lose your balls

I never rented a bike on Samui. I knew I didn't know how to ride one and everywhere I went involved several alcoholic drinks. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that a recipe for disaster. Why do people lie to a renter - and to themselves - that they can ride? Because they are idiots.

yes i agree. like allot of people they forgotten they have a brain forgot to pick it up with there luggage after arriving in Thailand silly <deleted>!

yes i agree. like allot of people they forgotten they have a brain forgot to pick it up with there luggage after arriving in Thailand silly <deleted>!

Nah, the brain automatically turns off once airplane enters Thai airspace and if it fails it gets confiscated by the customs in the airport and is held frozen until departurebiggrin.png

Nah, the brain automatically turns off once airplane enters Thai airspace and if it fails it gets confiscated by the customs in the airport and is held frozen until departurebiggrin.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, but Insertmemername here does have a good point... not only leave their brain at the Airport, they leave the helmets at the rental shop too.... whistling.gif

Many don't quite get what "100%" means ..... wink.png.....

I was not talking about the people who think they can ride a motor scooter, but the people who willingly rent to them when they can clearly see right from the start that it is not only a bad idea, but a dangerous one for the tourist.

perhaps because its not the owners responsibility, i mean if you wanted to do something and business told you no because they think they know better what is best for you.. would not you not get upset?

We are dealing with a grown ups here so they have a brain which they can or should use

PS. Personally i would not rent to someone who i thought could not handle the bike, but not because i worry about them, because i do not want to have the headache of fixing the bike and arguments of how much it should cost

Edited by phl

I was not talking about the people who think they can ride a motor scooter, but the people who willingly rent to them when they can clearly see right from the start that it is not only a bad idea, but a dangerous one for the tourist.

Maybe they are just thinking that the bike will certainly come back with some minor damage and then they can overcharge for the repair.

Maybe they are just thinking that the bike will certainly come back with some minor damage and then they can overcharge for the repair.

this i do not agree with. i do not think you understand the amount of headache it takes each and every time customer makes any kind of damage.

One of my esteemed guests decided to use white bath towel for floor rug on the balcony, naturally turning it into an unwashable piece of trash.

To buy new is 300 baht and this is what i was going to charge him, HOWEVER in his opinion this towel cost only 10-20 baht.

a full size 100% cotton bath towel.

this i do not agree with. i do not think you understand the amount of headache it takes each and every time customer makes any kind of damage.

Maybe to a westerner renting bikes it seems like a headache, but maybe to a local renter it seems like a golden opportunity? Or maybe they are all just greedy bastards who care only about cash in hand and are too short-sighted to see the problems that could arise from renting to someone who doesn't know how to ride. Maybe all parties involved are idiots?

Maybe to a westerner renting bikes it seems like a headache, but maybe to a local renter it seems like a golden opportunity? Or maybe they are all just greedy bastards who care only about cash in hand and are too short-sighted to see the problems that could arise from renting to someone who doesn't know how to ride. Maybe all parties involved are idiots?

\

can not speak for others, but as i said before, i would not rent to someone who i did not think could ride, and the only reason from me is the headaches it will bring.

sometimes i do not even rent to people who never rented a bike before, because it also a headache, like when they get a flat tire, they expect the shop to pay and if they get fined by police, somehow its the shops fault also.

One of my esteemed guests decided to use white bath towel for floor rug on the balcony, naturally turning it into an unwashable piece of trash.

To buy new is 300 baht and this is what i was going to charge him, HOWEVER in his opinion this towel cost only 10-20 baht.

a full size 100% cotton bath towel.

Yes i agree. If one damages the bike then the bike company are a business and the compant should be able to charge what they like.

the jist is that you do not damage you do not pay. These companies are not greedy but they are not a charity.

i used to rent bikes out and like the man said there are allot of head aches associated with them.

i would only acccept passport as deposit. as i let a friend rent my bike cheap and it got stolen and suprise suprise he did not want to pay me in full for a new bike.

we agreed on the finanace paid installments which basically left me ducked and hence we are not friends any more.

If i renta bike a damage it then of coarse i expect to pay more than the real value of the damage as i damaged someone elses bike.

Thats business. if the bike has to come off the road then you lose a days rent for every day it is off the road.

If the bike has small damaged then it de values the rental value.

plus yes i would expect the owner t profit from my mistake.

paying for damage that i have not done is another issue.

thats why before i would suggest my customers take pictures of the bike the same day they rent and i woulld take also.

if you had to set up a proper company with proper office and credit card deposits and bike rental inssurence then there would not be much options to rental bike.

take the rough with the smooth

The thing is, these are (some) of the people who might be the ones that cause YOU an accident on the road. My two-wheeling skills are fine; it is the other guy I worry about.

Of course this is the place where letting a chance to make 200 baht for a day's rental (or 150 or 100) walk away would be insane. Turn down 200 baht just because the rider looks to be an incompetent and a menace? Are you nuts? That's FIVE PAD THAIS at a street stall!

I think it's about social responsibility, something alien to Thai people in general.

I agree that some locals rent out bikes hoping for some accident. Having repairs done is not a problem; we all do it ourselves. You take the bike in and it gets repaired; what's the beef?