Passport Renewal And Retirement Extension

Hello....I living in Thailand on retirement extension and my present will expire in Jan 5, 2013, my passport validity will expire at march 18 2013 so how is the best way to continue?

Renew passport late this year at my embassy in Bangkok or can I renew my retirement extension untill my passport validiy expire in march and do another visa extension?

I am thankful for advices.

Bengt!!

do your extension first then renew your passport,you will not be able to do it at the embassy it has got to be applied for in hong kong.quite easy if you use dhl.they will send for it and deliver your new passport to your home,at a price total cost is about £125 inc.courier fees.

...you will not be able to do it at the embassy it has got to be applied for in hong kong.quite easy if you use dhl.they will send for it and deliver your new passport to your home,at a price total cost is about £125 inc.courier fees.

That's assuming he is a Brit, and judging by his name and command of English he probably isn't. So he can probably get his passport renewed here as he suggests. Not all countries are as unhelpful to their citizens as Britain is.

As said passport is almost useless with less than six month validity so best to obtain new one before that point and then when ready for new extension of stay you will get the full one year stamp and if you want re-entry permit it will also be for the full time.

...you will not be able to do it at the embassy it has got to be applied for in hong kong.quite easy if you use dhl.they will send for it and deliver your new passport to your home,at a price total cost is about £125 inc.courier fees.

That's assuming he is a Brit, and judging by his name and command of English he probably isn't. So he can probably get his passport renewed here as he suggests. Not all countries are as unhelpful to their citizens as Britain is.

who said they are unhelpfull? £100 odd for a passport,£77 inthe uk 1900 for a letter referance,paper and stamp aprox 40bht looks they have caught the[ you give me money virus]

As said passport is almost useless with less than six month validity so best to obtain new one before that point and then when ready for new extension of stay you will get the full one year stamp and if you want re-entry permit it will also be for the full time.

Worth pointing out that for a new British passport remaining validity of up to 9 months on the old passport will be carried forward onto the new passport without charge, so you can happily apply up to 9 months before expiry without losing anything. I have no idea if other countries have similar arrangements.

For your information, within the past week I have sent my passport renewal paperwork to Hong Kong to obtain a new British Passport. Here are some observations for you to consider. Contrary to the advice given on the FCO website, if you do not live in a big city DHL is not a very good option for sending your renewal paperwork to Hong Kong. I live in Surin and the nearest DHL office is some 200 Kilometers away in Korat. I sent my application through the Thai Postal Service, Express Mail Service (EMS) which is a registered delivery with online tracking at a cost of 450 Baht. The envelope was delivered by Airmail within 4 days. Actually, you do not send your passport, only a photocopy of your picture and personal information page, plus photographs, plus the application form (filled-in on-line and printed off). Further, they ask for payment via Banker's Draft payable in Hong Kong Dollars. There is no bank in Surin Province, and I suspect most other rural provinces, that will give you a Banker's Draft payable in Hong Kong Dollars. I know, I was in Bangkok Bank yesterday when some other unfortunate soul was trying to obtain said banker's draft. It was the third different bank he had tried that morning. Fortunately I was able to point him in another direction. The ATM Card issued by the Bangkok Bank is a VISAa direct debit card that will accept payments from overseas. I had filled in the Credit/Debit Card Authorisation Form, available from the FCO website, and included that method of payment with my application form. I posted my application on 27th June and my bank account was debited to the tune of 7,106.52 Baht on 4th July. As I do not use my debit card for any other transactions I must assume that this is the application fee plus return courier service charge deducted by the FCO Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong. At 49 Baht to the £ this equates to a total charge of £145 (£125 to renew passport + some £20 return courier fees). This is in line with the scale of fees published on the FCO website. I hope some of you will find this information useful.

British Expats in Thailand (and in many other countries) are being badly kicked around by their home-government, their state pension is frozen at the rate of the first payment, which is a shocking state affairs, and now the British Embassy is no longer authorised to deal with passport extension, and applications have to be made via Hong Kong, a silly set up. what will come next ? ...

...you will not be able to do it at the embassy it has got to be applied for in hong kong.quite easy if you use dhl.they will send for it and deliver your new passport to your home,at a price total cost is about 125 inc.courier fees.

British Expats in Thailand (and in many other countries) are being badly kicked around by their home-government, their state pension is frozen at the rate of the first payment, which is a shocking state affairs, and now the British Embassy is no longer authorised to deal with passport extension, and applications have to be made via Hong Kong, a silly set up. what will come next ? ...

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

My husband is in a similar situation, only we're Americans and can obtain new passports at the American Consulate here in Chiang Mai. They advised him to get the new passport first. They said you can apply for a new one at any time, you don't have to wait until just before the old one expires.

The kicker is that your new 10-year passport will be valid for 10-years from the date of issue, not 10 years beyond the expiration date of the old passport. Oh well, in the big picture, it's not that big a loss!