Japanese Tourist Foils Abduction Attempt Amid Phuket Police 'Media Blackout'

webfact

Maybe this is a trend set since Hangover 2, after they got drunk and purportedly drove the speedboat back from souther Thailand to Bangkok during the night, they ended up in a nightmare of a hotel. In fact it was Phuket town but there was a media blackout so it was called Bangkok because anything goes in Bangkok but who dares to call Phuket a spade :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The police seemed on the verge of doing something intelligent. Appointing one person to be the media liason through which all news releases were passed. Which would reduce the amount of dumbass comments that the officers constantly give to the press and confuse everybody more than inform. But now a top cop is denying any such plan, so once again all officers are free to display their ignorance about all and sundry.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

Putting a media blanket on Phuket sure isn't going to help the image of the island nor the RTP. It makes you wonder if any forethought goes into any of these decisions besides how bad it looks and how no more face needs to be lost. A couple of other places offhand I can think of with media blankets are North Korea and Syria, even though news still gets out of Syria.

And USA and UK and plenty of other places. Especially in UK at the moment where there is a blanket ban on much Olympics related reporting. Plenty going on that the main news channels won't report. You can even be arrested for showing a poster in the window of your own house. Olympics laws are on a par with North Korea.

Also in the UK there is usually only one police spokesperson. You don't have every Tom, Dick and Harry putting forward their theories.

Edited by w11guy
  • Like 1

The police seemed on the verge of doing something intelligent. Appointing one person to be the media liason through which all news releases were passed. Which would reduce the amount of dumbass comments that the officers constantly give to the press and confuse everybody more than inform. But now a top cop is denying any such plan, so once again all officers are free to display their ignorance about all and sundry.

Possibly because they read this thread and noted the reaction, possibly.

Disturbing to learn there's a news blackout on Phuket related crime, that speaks volumes!

There is no news blackout at all. Haven't you read the article above? If there was a news blackout then there wouldn't be an article. In fact, the police comments are in the article. How is that a news blackout?

• Like 1

it was said, its not a gag order, it is because they couldnt talk to the victim yet...

It was said that income tax is a temporary phenomena, just until the war ends!

Freedom of the press means just that.

The udd / red brigade campaigned before the last elections about 'quality democracy'. Seems that it's now all forgoten.

It is certainly true that media outlets in this country need a serious shake up in the quality of their work, their accuracy etc., but gagging them, even for a minute is not the way to go.

What is wrong with you people. This crime has been reported. Don't you realise that you are commenting on the article. If there was a gagging order then there wouldn't be an article. Stop spreading lies.

Putting a media blanket on Phuket sure isn't going to help the image of the island nor the RTP. It makes you wonder if any forethought goes into any of these decisions besides how bad it looks and how no more face needs to be lost. A couple of other places offhand I can think of with media blankets are North Korea and Syria, even though news still gets out of Syria.

Come on steelepulse.You have been here a while.

Forethought in Thailand?

Ask a Thai if you can can give them a 1000 bht today or if you wait 2 days I can give you 5000 bht.

I bet the answer will be give the 1000 bht

I just asked 5 Thai people this and they all said they'd take the 5000 in 2 days time. You are talking racist <deleted>.

Come on steelepulse.You have been here a while.

Forethought in Thailand?

Ask a Thai if you can can give them a 1000 bht today or if you wait 2 days I can give you 5000 bht.

I bet the answer will be give the 1000 bht

I just asked 5 Thai people this and they all said they'd take the 5000 in 2 days time. You are talking racist <deleted>.

My wife said she'd take 1,000 today and 5,000 in two days! sad.png

Well,

I for one wont be silent on this. This is being posted straight to my facebook along with the bus crash killing tourists that never made it up on bangkokpost online.

We need to be the "news" outlet as most of us have known for sometime now that the media isnt working for us. I encourage other posters on here to do the same.

I don't think my friends would be interested in a 'drunk tourist almost gets abducted' type of story. Drunk people get in trouble in almost every country in the world. Are you also going to present a balanced view by reporting the tourist crimes in all other countries. Crimes against tourists in Thailand is pretty low. The vast majority (99%+) have a great time and keep coming back. Many on this forum choose to live here because it's such a great country. If t's as bad as some of you make out, then why don't you move somewhere else? Or are you the type who likes to be here so that you have something to complain about all day, every day? If it's so bad, then leave. Simple. There must be some really stupid people out there who willingly choose to stay in a country that they hate. Says a lot about you.

Disturbing to learn there's a news blackout on Phuket related crime, that speaks volumes!

It's not a news "blackout" - that would mean no information would be released. It appaears to be a sensible attempt to regulate the quality and sensitivity of informaton being issued. All the UK police forces have a similar policy. Only certain officers are allowed to give information to the media. They also use civilian public relations staff to prepare and vet content of offficial statements. This should help reduce the amount of speculative, false and inappropriately timed release of information - not "gag" all info as suggested.

Maybe the quality of journalism will be improved too!

It's not a news "blackout" - that would mean no information would be released. It appaears to be a sensible attempt to regulate the quality and sensitivity of informaton being issued. All the UK police forces have a similar policy. Only certain officers are allowed to give information to the media. They also use civilian public relations staff to prepare and vet content of offficial statements. This should help reduce the amount of speculative, false and inappropriately timed release of information - not "gag" all info as suggested.

Yes, and it makes sense. But readers here want to complain, so if the news does make sense they'll distort it until they can complain about it.

• Like 1

It is not a media blackout. Just a bad TV headline (again), to get people commenting. During the PhiPhi case, there were so many police making claims and statements, and most on TV ridiculed the Thai police because of it. In one post it was commented that it would be better to have a single spokesperson (like in most other countries), who deals with media enquiries. So apparently Phuket took notice, and implemented this system. Totally understandable and good in my point of view.

Negative. What they are trying to do is only put forward their story, if one is put forward at all. Kind of like North Korea.

No - not like North Korea at all. Many police forces in the world channel media comments and discussion through one or more selected officers. Why do you think they do that? Presumably you also consider Britain to by like Norh Korea too then?

Most all of you are missing the point.Yes it's good to only have one guy put forth theories on what happened in a particular case instead of 10 guys, but now they are trying to control what is or is not going to be reported. They do not want anything reported except what they officially want to report. If something negative or "damaging to Phuket's tourism image" comes along, they can simply throw their spin on it or not mention it at all if they have their way about it. Didn't all of you people see the report where they blamed the "foreign media" for all this terrible reporting? Seems to me the foreign media is closer to the truth then the spin doctors trying to protect "the image".

• Like 1

It is not a media blackout. Just a bad TV headline (again), to get people commenting. During the PhiPhi case, there were so many police making claims and statements, and most on TV ridiculed the Thai police because of it. In one post it was commented that it would be better to have a single spokesperson (like in most other countries), who deals with media enquiries. So apparently Phuket took notice, and implemented this system. Totally understandable and good in my point of view.

Agreed. Unfortunately some Members of TV fail to engage brain before hitting key boards. Or are totally cynical regardless of what happens in Thailand.post-4641-1156693976.gif

• Like 1

The article says. "The Royal Thai Police have ordered a “media blackout” for Phuket".

"new Patong Police Superintendent Jirapat Phochanaphan, who took up the position in mid-June. He confirmed that such an attack did take place, and that the perpetrator had already been arrested

“There was one Australian woman walking back to her hotel in Patong. She was drunk at that time, but was still able to make her way back on foot,” he said.

“We are now investigating his (perpetrators') background, but have yet to question the Australian woman; that is why we can’t give out any other information,” he said."

So, if he is still to question the victim, how does this "new" clown know that she was drunk???

Is he repeating claims by the media perhaps? The media that "too often publish false information"? Or is he repeating the claims made by the perpetrator? Well, how do they know if the Australian lady was drunk, or maybe tired, or maybe swaying a little because the heel of her shoe broke away? And why do the media and the police have to tarnish the reputation of the foreigner victim without even trying to check the facts first? Why not report that the foreigner was attacked by a drunken Thai guy, which in fact is more likely????

Edited by notime

I have to agree , the press here loves to get carried away with their headlines!

Not even mentioning the sketchy details getting , a full rundown with much repetitive fiction ?

The ones where the word "sex" is incorporated , just to grab some readers wub.png attention !

I have to agree , the press here loves to get carried away with their headlines!

Not even mentioning the sketchy details getting , a full rundown with much repetitive fiction ?

The ones where the word "sex" is incorporated , just to grab some readers wub.png attention !

Well, reporting on life threatening injuries, such as being unconsious from head injuries and requiring to be airlifted to a hospital in Bangkok, sounds like reporting the facts to me.

Reporting on an assault by a tuk-tuk driver requiring stitches to the face of the victim sounds like reporting the facts to me.

Reporting an attempted abduction and rape with independant witnesses stepping in to make an arrest, sounds like reporting the facts to me.

Reporting a middle aged women being murdered during an attempted robbery by being stabbed in the heart, sounds like reporting the facts to me.

It's the FACTS that are "sensational" because they are happening in a place that is promoted as a tropical island holiday paradise, not a criminal spider web always waiting for new victims.

• Like 2

It'd be good if it were fiction, unfortunately it's mostly fact, as the previous poster has pointed out. So don't delude yourself that you're living in a a cosy and safe place where everything's really OK and nice and there are fairies at the bottom of the garden!

Agreed. IMO a blackout on reporting crimes in the local press quite simply means that crime is getting beyond the point of control by local police. A news blackout potentially does greater harm than actual reporting in regards to peoples fear of visiting.

I disagree. The information that makes its way to the media within the first 72 hours is almost always incorrect. There really isn't a news blackout. The police have finally implemented a procedure common to western police agencies that designates one person as the media contact.