Japanese Tourist Foils Abduction Attempt Amid Phuket Police 'Media Blackout'

webfact

Japanese tourist foils abduction attempt amid Phuket Police 'media blackout'

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Police have ordered a “media blackout” for Phuket, with only the local police superintendent authorized to release information to the media, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

News of the blackout follows yet another disturbing report involving a tourist and a local, although this one has a happy ending – thanks to a brave Japanese tourist.

According to one local media report, a Japanese tourist came to the rescue of a drunken Australian woman who was attacked at 4am this morning (July 4) by a man in front of the hotel where she was a guest.

The media outlet made no mention as to the source of the information, but is known to have a reliable source in cases involving Australians.

The Gazette tried to contact case officer Maj Prathung Pholmana of the Patong Police, but were told that under a new policy set by Royal Thai Police headquarters in Bangkok, only the superintendent was allowed to release information to the media.

Kathu Police Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Kittipong Klaikaew confirmed this, saying the new media blackout policy was recently issued due to the fact that media too often publish false information.

“When the media publish false or misleading information, it makes our work more difficult and sullies the image of our province,” he said.

Both Thalang and Chalong Police also declined to release information to Gazette reporters today, citing the same policy.

The Gazette was eventually able to contact new Patong Police Superintendent Jirapat Phochanaphan, who took up the position in mid-June. He confirmed that such an attack did take place, and that the perpetrator had already been arrested

“There was one Australian woman walking back to her hotel in Patong. She was drunk at that time, but was still able to make her way back on foot,” he said.

“[As she approached the hotel] a man parked his vehicle in front of the hotel and got out. He then tried to grab her and pull her into his car. She tried to resist him and screamed for help,” he said.

“Suddenly, a nearby Japanese man came to her rescue. He suffered minor injuries during the rescue, but I can't confirm the exact nature of his wounds,” Col Jirapat said.

“Though I can’t release any more details about the case, I am happy to say that we have already arrested the man who attempted to abduct the woman. He is originally from Nakhon Sri Thammarat province.”

“We are now investigating his background, but have yet to question the Australian woman; that is why we can’t give out any other information,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16341.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-05

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting a media blanket on Phuket sure isn't going to help the image of the island nor the RTP. It makes you wonder if any forethought goes into any of these decisions besides how bad it looks and how no more face needs to be lost. A couple of other places offhand I can think of with media blankets are North Korea and Syria, even though news still gets out of Syria.

Edited by steelepulse

it was said, its not a gag order, it is because they couldnt talk to the victim yet...

It was said that income tax is a temporary phenomena, just until the war ends!

Freedom of the press means just that.

The udd / red brigade campaigned before the last elections about 'quality democracy'. Seems that it's now all forgoten.

It is certainly true that media outlets in this country need a serious shake up in the quality of their work, their accuracy etc., but gagging them, even for a minute is not the way to go.

• Like 2

Putting a media blanket on Phuket sure isn't going to help the image of the island nor the RTP. It makes you wonder if any forethought goes into any of these decisions besides how bad it looks and how no more face needs to be lost. A couple of other places offhand I can think of with media blankets are North Korea and Syria, even though news still gets out of Syria.

It is not a media blackout. Just a bad TV headline (again), to get people commenting. During the PhiPhi case, there were so many police making claims and statements, and most on TV ridiculed the Thai police because of it. In one post it was commented that it would be better to have a single spokesperson (like in most other countries), who deals with media enquiries. So apparently Phuket took notice, and implemented this system. Totally understandable and good in my point of view.

Negative. What they are trying to do is only put forward their story, if one is put forward at all. Kind of like North Korea.

This is a two edged sword.

If it was a complete media black-out, that would be very bad, if it is an attempt to control the release of information to known facts instead of having someone in the BiB spout meaningless speculation, which then gets blown out of proportion by shoddy reporting, it ain't that bad a thing.

• Like 2

It is not a media blackout. Just a bad TV headline (again), to get people commenting. During the PhiPhi case, there were so many police making claims and statements, and most on TV ridiculed the Thai police because of it. In one post it was commented that it would be better to have a single spokesperson (like in most other countries), who deals with media enquiries. So apparently Phuket took notice, and implemented this system. Totally understandable and good in my point of view.

If that's the case, the Superintendent's phone is going to be running hot, 24/7. :) :)

Off topic post removed.

LIK, is this topic about the attemted abduction and rape, or the media black out, or both?

Both I would say. The off topic post was a negative comment about Thai people (area related) and that poster well knows the reason it was removed.

Agreed, clearly not a "media blackout", although posters on TV or any other forum have anything to do with it. It seems the English language media in Phuket does not know what "media blackout" means, which is surprising since it's their job to know what it means. But perhaps it's the police using the term and it's just being echoed by the media. Consolidating press releases through a single channel is not a media blackout, it's the normal procedure in any modern country. Police are not ordering the media to stop reporting things. Well, at least not more than usual. Speaking to people in the biz, I'm told English language media has been leaned on here before when reporting on things which are damaging to those in power in Phuket.

"Media blackout refers to the censorship of news related to a certain topic, particularly in mass media, for any reason. A media blackout may be voluntary, or may in some countries be enforced by the government or state. The latter case is controversial in peacetime, as some regard it as a human rights violation and repression of free speech. Press blackout is a similar phrase, but refers specifically to printed media. Media blackouts are used, in particular, in times of declared war, to keep useful intelligence from the enemy. In some cases formal censorship is used, in others the news media are usually keen to support their country voluntarily as in the UK D- (later DA-)Notice system in the Second World War."

-wiki

Agreed, clearly not a "media blackout", although posters on TV or any other forum have anything to do with it. It seems the English language media in Phuket does not know what "media blackout" means, which is surprising since it's their job to know what it means. But perhaps it's the police using the term and it's just being echoed by the media. Consolidating press releases through a single channel is not a media blackout, it's the normal procedure in any modern country. Police are not ordering the media to stop reporting things. Well, at least not more than usual. Speaking to people in the biz, I'm told English language media has been leaned on here before when reporting on things which are damaging to those in power in Phuket.

"Media blackout refers to the censorship of news related to a certain topic, particularly in mass media, for any reason. A media blackout may be voluntary, or may in some countries be enforced by the government or state. The latter case is controversial in peacetime, as some regard it as a human rights violation and repression of free speech. Press blackout is a similar phrase, but refers specifically to printed media. Media blackouts are used, in particular, in times of declared war, to keep useful intelligence from the enemy. In some cases formal censorship is used, in others the news media are usually keen to support their country voluntarily as in the UK D- (later DA-)Notice system in the Second World War."

-wiki

No matter how you dress it up what is actually happening is censorship of the news, thats goes against freedom of the press. This justs adds to the perception that Thailand is a tin pot dictatorship dressed up as a democracy. Furthermore, it suggests that Phuket is a lawless community where the grab for the tourist dollar overides the safety of tourists.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Disturbing to learn there's a news blackout on Phuket related crime, that speaks volumes!

Agreed. IMO a blackout on reporting crimes in the local press quite simply means that crime is getting beyond the point of control by local police. A news blackout potentially does greater harm than actual reporting in regards to peoples fear of visiting.

I think this comes down to the newly appointed, in mid June, Superintendant,

who is suddenly swamped with amazingly bad crap and wants to control all the news reports

making it look like he got the job and 2 weeks later, it all spins out of control.

Of course the tourist board would be screaming from Bangkok to

stop letting the press broadcast things that

"... sullies the image of our province,”....

So two images in play;

The new Super up to his neck in horror stories, and his neck just mm. from the wringer

and the tourist bookings numbers starting to reflect the fear of visiting.

It's all BS. no matter how you spin it.

Would any thinking person want to go on vacation in a place where

it is so bad the police force wants a media blackout to make it LOOK less violent?

Might as well hang a sign saying :

Phuket! too violent to let youknow about it.

Come on steelepulse.You have been here a while.

Forethought in Thailand?

Ask a Thai if you can can give them a 1000 bht today or if you wait 2 days I can give you 5000 bht.

I bet the answer will be give the 1000 bht

• Like 1

-wiki

No matter how you dress it up what is actually happening is censorship of the news, thats goes against freedom of the press. This justs adds to the perception that Thailand is a tin pot dictatorship dressed up as a democracy. Furthermore, it suggests that Phuket is a lawless community where the grab for the tourist dollar overides the safety of tourists.

I don't understand how you could perceive stating facts as "dressing it up." This is neither censorship nor against freedom of the press. The press is no less able to report on things today than they were yesterday. Either the police or the media or both are using the term "media blackout" incorrectly. The police simply want one person talking to the media, not 10 from 10 different departments. It is a directive aimed at the police, not the media. A media blackout would mean this article and this thread wouldn't exist. It would also mean the media could not report there is a black out! The reason why the media is sensationalizing this story, actually manufacturing this story, is because all their connections to info inside the cop shops have been told to stop talking to the media, covertly or overtly, which they shouldn't be doing anyway as it leads to all these conflicting stories in the media and makes the whole thing look like an amateur hour dog and pony show. That's not a "black out", that's enforcing existing rules.

"Yes there was an attempted rape on a tourist by a taxi driver, here is what happened and where it happened, and we have the suspect in custody, here is his name. Oh, and by the way there is a media blackout so I can't have just told you all that." Come on people, think.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

NomadJoe, on Today, 11:42 , said:

I don't understand how you could perceive stating facts as "dressing it up." This is neither censorship nor against freedom of the press. The press is no less able to report on things today than they were yesterday. Either the police or the media or both are using the term "media blackout" incorrectly. The police simply want one person talking to the media, not 10 from 10 different departments. It is a directive aimed at the police, not the media. A media blackout would mean this article and this thread wouldn't exist. It would also mean the media could not report there is a black out! The reason why the media is sensationalizing this story, actually manufacturing this story, is because all their connections to info inside the cop shops have been told to stop talking to the media, covertly or overtly, which they shouldn't be doing anyway as it leads to all these conflicting stories in the media and makes the whole thing look like an amateur hour dog and pony show. That's not a "black out", that's enforcing existing rules.

"Yes there was an attempted rape on a tourist by a taxi driver, here is what happened and where it happened, and we have the suspect in custody, here is his name. Oh, and by the way there is a media blackout so I can't have just told you all that." Come on people, think.

Sorry Joe I wasnt disputing your post but agreeing with it, I was very tired when I wrote that and didnt make it clear.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

Phuket's top-cop denies 'media blackout' in effect

Phuket Gazette

cop.jpeg

'No media blackout': Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangkul.

PHUKET: -- After officers in two different police districts yesterday told Phuket Gazette reporters that a “media blackout” was in effect in the province, Phuket’s top cop today denied that such is the case.

The misunderstanding may have been the result of excuses made up by uncooperative officers who don’t want to do their jobs, he said.

According to police officers in both Chalong and Thalang districts yesterday, Royal Thai Police Headquarters had issued a directive that they were not allowed to release information to the media.

“We apologize that we are unable to reveal any information. It’s not that we are unwilling to cooperate; we are doing this in response to a new policy issued by the Royal Thai Police that stipulates we are not allowed to give information to anyone,” one Chalong Police officer told a Gazette reporter in a recorded conversation yesterday.

A similar denial, also recorded, was given by an officer in Thalang.

The Gazette this morning spoke with Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangkul in an attempt to verify that a new policy was in effect.

“It is not true. The Royal Thai Police has no new policy forbidding police to release information to the media or the general public. I think the officers who said that might be too lazy, or did not want to answer your questions,” Maj Gen Chonasit said.

“All media, or any member of the public, has the right to access public information. Everyone has the right to know. If any police officers are unwilling to give you answers [using this excuse], you can say that they already have permission to give them [the answers], granted by Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangkul,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16354.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-05