Another Stroll Down A Different Lane For Really Older Brits

The wrestling was Saturday afternoons on "World of Sport" with Dickie Davies, the wrestling came on at 4pm before the footie results.

Big Mick McManus was a great wrestler.

Clangers was great as well, but the best was "Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons", remember sitting in the NAAFI in Loughborough watching it, the place was packed out with us Squaddies, but that was the repeats of the 60s show, redone in the 80s.

here the format from World of Sport

1230 On The Ball - football preview with Brian Moore and in later years Ian St. John and Jimmy Greaves.

1300 Sports Special 1 - A wide array of sports, often including clips from US show Wide World of Sports. Less prominent sports such as darts, snooker, bowls, water skiing, speedway, rallying and others would also feature.

1330 Racing, The ITV Seven.

1500 Sports Special 2 - see Sports Special 1.

1545 Half-Time Scores - the half-time scores from that day's football, plus racing results from races that had taken place in the previous hour.

1600 Wrestling - a mainstay of the World of Sport schedule from 1965 until it ended. Many of the wrestlers featured became household names in the UK and the greatest rivalry was between Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks

1645 Results Service - all the full-time football scores, match reports and league tables plus the last of the day's horse racing results.

Proper sports, with proper wrestling, none of this talk for ten minutes, fight for two that is on TV nowadays.smile.png

I can remember my Dad & older brother watching sports programmes, where the idea was to get a motorbike to the top of a very muddy hill, (scrambling ?), there was a family called the Lampkins who were pretty good at this. I've got a feeling this was on TV on Sundays. Can't recall seeing it for years though, perhaps it's died out.

I've watched Speedway on TV here, but it's not the same without the smells and the smoke.

The ITV Seven! I'd forgotten about that, used to spend an hour or so "picking out the winners", in the Saturday morning paper, then off to the bookie's in time for the first race, can't remember how much it was to have a go, but it was a good, daft bit of fun.

As for the Gerry Anderson stuff, I got hooked early with Stingray, and followed all of his shows, my own favourite was 5...4...3...2...1...Thunderbirds (Are Go!!).

Was Four Feather Falls one of Gerry Andersons shows ? I can remember that from when I was little, and Twizzle, (who's arms grew longer), plus Torchy The Battery Boy.

Happy Days, and thankfully I'm still having them.biggrin.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images