Are Farangs Not To Blame For Bringing Thai Problems Upon Themselves

arch77778

I think kerryk is just trying to say that people who make assumptions about other people based purely on their skin colour are likely to face more problems in life.

I think kerryk would be the first to admit that he should not have stated statistics (that were simply based on his own un-scientific observations) to support his point.

Ya you are right. The 99% came from a Thai University professor when I asked him how many hi so Chinese/Thai people actually spoke Chinese and he told me 1%.

It is part of the Thai Visa my wife is better than your wife BS that occupies so much bandwidth here.

And these cretins don't realize that a racial slur can be both positive and negative but it is still a racial slur.

It is offensive to categorize a person as second class when Chinese is first class.

It is nothing more than snobbery of the worst kind. My wife or friends or associates are Chinese/Thai like that makes me a big wheel! Balderdash. And then they run in here and try to rationalize, that's not what I meant, Da da da. It is exactly what they meant. Because they have associations with Chinese/Thai people they are high class. Well sorry, I don't think Chinese people are high class. Nor do I think they are low class. They are just people.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think kerryk is just trying to say that people who make assumptions about other people based purely on their skin colour are likely to face more problems in life.

I think kerryk would be the first to admit that he should not have stated statistics (that were simply based on his own un-scientific observations) to support his point.

Ya you are right. The 99% came from a Thai University professor when I asked him how many hi so Chinese/Thai people actually spoke Chinese and he told me 1%.

It is part of the Thai Visa my wife is better than your wife BS that occupies so much bandwidth here.

And these cretins don't realize that a racial slur can be both positive and negative but it is still a racial slur.

It is offensive to categorize a person as second class when Chinese is first class.

It is nothing more than snobbery of the worst kind. My wife or friends or associates are Chinese/Thai like that makes me a big wheel! Balderdash. And then they run in here and try to rationalize, that's not what I meant, Da da da. It is exactly what they meant. Because they have associations with Chinese/Thai people they are high class. Well sorry, I don't think Chinese people are high class. Nor do I think they are low class. They are just people.

I'm sorry, who is categorizing?

With your poll I would suggest it might have been you who tried that and this has nothing to do with comparing wives.

Stop blaming others for your own mistake. If you could redirect me to a fact sheet or anything that proves your statement, I will be happy to put this whole ordeal aside.

To be fair Kerry, it seems you are obsessed with classifying people as regards their race.

While I utterly understand (and agree with) your contempt of the whole "Oh, I have a Thai Chinese wife and am better than you" <deleted>; I'd have to say your Professor "pal" is so far off the mark if he thinks there only 640,000 citizens of this country who can speak "Chinese" that I'd say he's probably a pigment of your imagination....

• Like 1

Sure blame me. It is not I who can tell the difference between a Thai and Chinese/Thai. Tis you all.

OK here is my message again. You can't tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese/Thai. Not by appearance or action.

How does the limited Thai language skills of Farangs in Thailand cause floods, unbearable heat, traffic jams in Bangkok, institutional corruption, regular political crises, low health & safety standards and a sub-standard education system?

it just does alright, please don't use logic and reason to support your argument it is very unfair.

• Like 1

Not by appearance or action

So what do you think when you see an someone sat outside a CHINESE medicine shop, in Yarowat - aka the CHINA town district of Bangkok - reading a CHINESE language newspaper and babbling to the wife in CHINESE......?

He's a Thai that learned Chinese at a university.

• Like 1

By the way, Akha or Lahu is probably much easier to learn than Thai. Not sure about Hmong, Yao or southern dialects though...

And you would know this how?

I've never read such a silly sentence in all my days.

Hani is a nightmare to learn, let alone Akha.

How would I know this?

It might be because I know something more than you... at least about this subject.

Reading your reply I have the feeling that I might know many more things than you, HeavyDrinker.

The difference between posters like you, and posters like me is not only the knowledge, it is also the way we write our posts. I would not allow myself to say what I think of your, rather useless, reply.

Not by appearance or action

So what do you think when you see an someone sat outside a CHINESE medicine shop, in Yarowat - aka the CHINA town district of Bangkok - reading a CHINESE language newspaper and babbling to the wife in CHINESE......?

I think they are American tourists from San Francisco.

How would I know this?

It might be because I know something more than you... at least about this subject.

Reading your reply I have the feeling that I might know many more things than you, HeavyDrinker.

The difference between posters like you, and posters like me is not only the knowledge, it is also the way we write our posts. I would not allow myself to say what I think of your, rather useless, reply.

"Might" is certainly the operative word in your reply...

Sure blame me. It is not I who can tell the difference between a Thai and Chinese/Thai. Tis you all.

OK here is my message again. You can't tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese/Thai. Not by appearance or action.

I often can. There are many genetic characteristics that would lead someone to this conclusion. Epicanthic folds of the upper eyelids and melanin levels in skin are two visual characteristics for example. Stick a farm worker from Udon Thani in Shanghai and they would stick out a mile. However according to kerry you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Sombat and the local Shanghainese.

To deduce that all Asians look the same or that people from a certain region of the world do not have similar visual characteristics is as preposterous as making up fake statistics that can't be backed up with a single reliable source.

I often can. There are many genetic characteristics that would lead someone to this conclusion. Epicanthic folds of the upper eyelids and melanin levels in skin are two visual characteristics for example. Stick a farm worker from Udon Thani in Shanghai and they would stick out a mile. However according to kerry you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Sombat and the local Shanghainese.

To deduce that all Asians look the same or that people from a certain region of the world do not have similar visual characteristics is as preposterous as making up fake statistics that can't be backed up with a single reliable source.

I can't tell the difference beteen different shades of grey. Black and White are easy enough, but there's not many of us fall into those two camps - in fact, at night, all cats are grey. People who say that charcoal grey is different from battleship grey, are splitting hairs that don't exist.

At what proportion of Chineseyness do people become Thai Chinese, compared to Thai? How many Chinese greatgrandparents do they need to become wealthy, or frugal, or to read Chinese? The IRB says one grandparent is sufficient*; what's your criterion?

There may well be a set of genes that are "typically Chinese" but the Chinese amongst us all diverge from this ideal to some extent (except maybe for one person) and there is no threshold or criterion that allows one to distinguish between a Chinese person who is a bit Thai and a Thai person who is a bit Chinese. And the same goes fo black and white, tamil and basque

SC

* though that refers to nationality, rather than race, and qualification can also be gained by birth or by residency.

I choose NOT to learn more thai as I would end up speaking my mind about all the BS that goes on here.

My lack of proficiency allows me to have a rant and no one knows what I am talking about. I can then calm down and nobody is any the wiser.

The language barrier here can be a wonderful thing

No

I don`t think so.

thanks for that rather witty response. your input is appreciated. its up there with vd and the clap.

Could some MOD delete all the 'Chinese' argument posts, BORING rants by a bunch of racists IMHO.

How are they "racist" old prune?

He doesn't know. He just feels important by calling others racist when they are just debating using words he doesn't understand. No one has referred to people in a derogatory way based on their ethnicity (racism), only that it is possible to identify some people's ancestry by key physical characteristics. Thats not racism. If it was all anthropologists would be strung up with piano wire. Only an ignorant fool would think otherwise.

It is obviously important to you because when I said you couldn't do it you became angry and attacked me. So why is it important to you?

So, these fellas with the epicanthic folds and the melanin levels that are not the same as someone else's: How are they different?

What proportion of such people speak Chinese at home, compared to the proportion without said folds and the same melanin levels as those around them?

How much wealthier, on average, and more diligent, pious towards their ancesters, frugal and self-disciplined are those people?

And can we divide our population according to these parameters into two distinct populations, or is there a continous scale from people who have no folds, to people who have a bit of a fold to people with sharp and neatly defined folds? And how closely correlated is that with the proportion of their ancestors from the Middle Kingdom? Does it matter where in the middle kingdom they came from? Peking? Shanghai (though most people in Shanghai come from somewhere else)? Urumqi? Lhasa? Taipei? Toronto? Deansgate?

SC

What was the OP about again? Was it something about Chinese takeaways, I don't know I will go and look.

We're to blame for our own woes because we can't be bothered learning Thai; and my understanding of Kanaga's point is that we should all learn Chinese, though he is still working round to that, I think. Certainly, where I am now, Cantonese would be a great help, though the lingua franca and project language is English.

Personally, getting back to the OP's point, I can't help denying that double negatives don't make it any less easy to dissemble a reasonable argument.

SC

Your right, I mean its hard to spot the Issan beauty here isnt it?

post-113733-0-61777100-1341565292_thumb.

post-113733-0-54633100-1341565301_thumb.

I knew this was going to happen. There are a number of model sites on the INTERNET where you can sort available models by ethnicity. You can get literally thousands of Asian women from all over the globe.

Why look at just two when you can judge thousands and be totally confused.

I am not kidding you. Look at a thousand and see if you can pick out the Thais.

It is totally silly. But what is not silly is why would you want to?

There is also one problem trying to learn the local langusge. Not only is there different dialects as in the UK but all the locals do not only speak their native language.

I live in a village near Nangrong in Buriram and all my village tend to speak Combodian then another village near by speak Loa.

Isaan beauty is that the one of the right?

or is it before and after the whitening cream shot?

There is also one problem trying to learn the local langusge. Not only is there different dialects as in the UK but all the locals do not only speak their native language.

I live in a village near Nangrong in Buriram and all my village tend to speak Combodian then another village near by speak Loa.

And when the mother in law gets old and senile she starts rambling in all three languages making no distinction between them so the only people who understand her are family. Forget the learning the language chuck her out with the bathwater and the old milk. Not that Thais have any old milk but I like old milk. Milky milky

• Like 1

At what proportion of Chineseyness do people become Thai Chinese, compared to Thai? How many Chinese greatgrandparents do they need to become wealthy, or frugal, or to read Chinese? The IRB says one grandparent is sufficient*; what's your criterion?

SC

* though that refers to nationality, rather than race, and qualification can also be gained by birth or by residency.

Imagine if the International Rugby Board (IRB) and the International Cricket Council (ICC) combined their Wisdom (Cricketing pun intended) ... they would have a lot of these problems solved in a flash ... that's if their knees were up to it ... rolleyes.gif

I think that you can gauge the seriousness of the posted comments by the use of smile.png ... and, by their absence this must be a very serious issue indeed.

• Like 1

SC

Imagine if the International Rugby Board (IRB) and the International Cricket Council (ICC) combined their Wisdom (Cricketing pun intended) ... they would have a lot of these problems solved in a flash ... that's if their knees were up to it ... rolleyes.gif

I think that you can gauge the seriousness of the posted comments by the use of smile.png ... and, by their absence this must be a very serious issue indeed.

I think you can gauge the seriousness of the topic on its own merits.

Normally, I try to stay out of serious topics for fear of causing offence.

No amount of missing smileys could lend any credibility to this thread, but on the bright side, it only had a little way to sink in the first place

SC

• Like 1

And when the mother in law gets old and senile she starts rambling in all three languages making no distinction between them so the only people who understand her are family. Forget the learning the language chuck her out with the bathwater and the old milk. Not that Thais have any old milk but I like old milk. Milky milky

One of your most sensible and well-articulated posts ever kerry...

I just love the way these things develop, if you read the last page there is no way you could deduce what the OP was. :-)

Anyway I am still stupid, I can still hear them saying it about me as I was working out the decay of their Co60 source for them :-)