Yingluck Evades The Issue Of Being Under Thaksin's Shadow

webfact

As 2011 came to an end, Bangkok Daily's lead political reporter rang up the Thai PM Yingluck and asked what the PM would like for Christmas.

PM Yingluck responded that it would not be proper to receive anything from the media, as it was a conflict of interest. However the reporter pressed her strongly.

Finally, the PM replied, well perhaps a small box of imported crystallised fruit would be appropriate. The reporter seemed bemused, but thereafter the PM's handlers ended the call and both parties went on their way.

2 weeks later, the Bangkok Daily special presentation issue 2011 came out. Focusing on the flooding and election milestone, in the section entitled "Wishes for Christmas" the following appeared:

"Selected dignitaries offered their wishes for Christmas. Former Prime Minister Abhisit wished for an end to the political suffering and a bridging of the divide between yellow and red shirts and the general populace. The UK Ambassador hoped for swift relief and plans to deal with the flooding crisis in future in Thailand. The Palace issued a desire that all Thais join hands to enjoy a year of prosperity and success. And finally, PM Yingluck wished for a small box of imported crystallised fruit."

Thanks for that, if you could PM me your address I will send on the bill for a new keyboard :D That made me laugh my ass off, is it true, please be true.

• Like 1

Sadly, not true ;-)

However, I have some verified stories or similar nature about several senior politicians; for our current PM there are countless examples of referring to cities as provinces, cities as countries, etc etc; similar to George Bush (and if you ask me it shouldn't matter too much if someone is a lousy public speaker, there are plenty of great public speakers in history that were awful leaders).

However, a few are of the 'I cannot believe they said that' type quotes. Chalerm and Chavalit are both worthy of a few great moments of unintentional comedy along the lines of the former spokesman in Iraq during the invasion.

If only the crystallised fruit was true; however this one is hopeful thinking rather than sheer fact.

• Like 1

Sadly, not true ;-)

However, I have some verified stories or similar nature about several senior politicians; for our current PM there are countless examples of referring to cities as provinces, cities as countries, etc etc; similar to George Bush (and if you ask me it shouldn't matter too much if someone is a lousy public speaker, there are plenty of great public speakers in history that were awful leaders).

However, a few are of the 'I cannot believe they said that' type quotes. Chalerm and Chavalit are both worthy of a few great moments of unintentional comedy along the lines of the former spokesman in Iraq during the invasion.

If only the crystallised fruit was true; however this one is hopeful thinking rather than sheer fact.

Unfortunately the states had no choice for a good speaker for president Al Gore was known for some beautiful mistakes in speaking also.