Science Minister Plodprasop: Bangkok Will Not Be Flooded This Year

webfact

Science Minister: Bangkok will not be flooded this year

BANGKOK, 5 July 2012 (NNT) - Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi has assured that Bangkok and key economic zones will not be flooded this year.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today presided over the meeting of Water Resources Management and Flood Control Committee, with Mr Plodprasop and other flood-related agencies in attendance.

During the meeting, Ms Yingluck instructed the Hydrographic Department and Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department to ensure effective management of disaster alert systems. Mr Plodprasop also stressed at the meeting that a community-level centralized health, evacuation, and disaster alert is needed so accurate and timely warnings can be issued to affected areas.

The Science Minister expressed his belief that there is only a one-percent chance of floods of last year’s magnitude taking place in Thailand this year. River plains, banks and previously flooded areas across the country are more likely to be flooded this year, but the degree of severity will be no match to last year’s crisis.

He has reaffirmed that Bangkok and its vicinity will not be submerged in floodwaters this year.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-05 footer_n.gif

Based on information by the Science Minister, I have instructed my broker to immediately sell all my shares in Flying Pigs, Inc. Seems like their statement that pigs will fly this year has just been rubbished.

• Like 1

How did he calculate 'only a 1% chance'? does he know exactly how much rain will fall? Most Thais I come across can't do mental arithmatic, clearly he is the exception! A very clever man ! I'm glad I live in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

How did he calculate 'only a 1% chance'? does he know exactly how much rain will fall? Most Thais I come across can't do mental arithmatic, clearly he is the exception! A very clever man ! I'm glad I live in Chiang Mai.

Yes before I was afraid of being flooded...now after reading that I feel 99% safe.

To be honest, much as me thinks the man is a clown, I doubt very much there'll be floods this year. Up here in the north, reservoirs are fairly low, rainfall has been low. Totally different from last year, when reservoirs were full not long into the rainy season, the rains were very heavy early, continuing throughout the rainy season.

To be honest, much as me thinks the man is a clown, I doubt very much there'll be floods this year. Up here in the north, reservoirs are fairly low, rainfall has been low. Totally different from last year, when reservoirs were full not long into the rainy season, the rains were very heavy early, continuing throughout the rainy season.

The monsoon season is not over yet, nobody can predict the amount of rainful in the coming weeks, who knows. If Bangkok has set up it's barriers and resources then ares north of Bangkok will suffer greatly. The main issue is deforestation in the north on both sides of the border, without all of thr plantation to soak up the rains it runs of into rivers etc. I personally think there will be flooding of some kind this year, and the future for Bangkok isn't rosey anyway, it is sinking. in 50 years time I doubt it will be what it is today, 100 years maybe it won't even exist.

I was in Bangkok this week as I was coming back from Surin and everytime I am in Bangkok I feel depressed. I cannot understand why farang choose to live there, I really can't. To each their own of course, but I would prefer to live in a rural village with no farang, bars or showers than Bangkok, just my opinion there smile.png

Edited by TomTom55

Hope that he's right cuz me don not want to live with 1.3 mt of water in my hause again coffee1.gif

Of course he's right! You do live in "inner Bangkok" don't you?

Of course the definition of "Inner Bangkok" varies, if you are dry, you are in Inner Bangkok, if you are knee-deep in water you aren't! whistling.gif

• Like 2

The monsoon season is not over yet, nobody can predict the amount of rainful in the coming weeks, who knows. If Bangkok has set up it's barriers and resources then ares north of Bangkok will suffer greatly. The main issue is deforestation in the north on both sides of the border, without all of thr plantation to soak up the rains it runs of into rivers etc. I personally think there will be flooding of some kind this year, and the future for Bangkok isn't rosey anyway, it is sinking. in 50 years time I doubt it will be what it is today, 100 years maybe it won't even exist.

I was in Bangkok this week as I was coming back from Surin and everytime I am in Bangkok I feel depressed. I cannot understand why farang choose to live there, I really can't. To each their own of course, but I would prefer to live in a rural village with no farang, bars or showers than Bangkok, just my opinion there smile.png

True, the monsoons aren't over, hardly begun. That's my point. Last year was exceptional. Early rains & more than usual, & mismanagement of the reservoirs. Even if we have record monthly rains between now & October, I can't see anything approaching last year happening. Just my opinion. Even still using the sprinklers on my lawn sad.png

"Plod The Sod Sure As Wally" strikes again!

This was the man who after months of post flood research and countless meetings and strategy planning came up with the brilliant plan to mitigate any future flooding by telling people in the Ayuttaya regions that if they saw water coming then the best plan was to evacuate!

He may be useless as a science minister but he sure is good value as a comedian.

True, the monsoons aren't over, hardly begun. That's my point. Last year was exceptional. Early rains & more than usual, & mismanagement of the reservoirs. Even if we have record monthly rains between now & October, I can't see anything approaching last year happening. Just my opinion. Even still using the sprinklers on my lawn sad.png

As I've said elsewhere, already over 2.5M of rain with a possible 4 more months of (heavy) rain to come in Ranong. It's not every day like it was last year but when it rains it's heavier than last year. The stream behind the house broke it's banks 2x last year, which wasn't normal. Usually a weekly event, as it is this year. 4m plus rain in totak last year v average of 3.3m. I hope it doesn't flood, wife's cousin had enough problems in BKK

"Mr Plodprasop also stressed at the meeting that a community-level centralized health, evacuation and disaster alert is needed so accurate and timely warnings can be issued to affected areas".

What "affected areas"? I thought we were just being assured that there will be no flooding....!!

So, now there's an addendum being added to say that:

"In the event that I am proven to be an absolute moron, yet again, and there is significant flooding in Thailand, I want it on record that I had ordered plans to be put in place to help those affected".....!!

Edited by GeorgeO

Based on information by the Science Minister, I have instructed my broker to immediately sell all my shares in Flying Pigs, Inc. Seems like their statement that pigs will fly this year has just been rubbished.

pig-flys.jpg

Flying pigs won't have to worry! The guy already proved a couple of times he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

La Nińa: It started with unusual heavy rains and flooding in Australia, last week disastrous rainfall in Indonesia, a heavy monsoon hitting the south of Thailand already from the Indian Ocean. You don't really need a frog to make predictions...

Has anyone information if the infamous "ear infection" is spreading in this government? Heh? I can't hear you without a drink in my hand!

As I've said elsewhere, already over 2.5M of rain with a possible 4 more months of (heavy) rain to come in Ranong. It's not every day like it was last year but when it rains it's heavier than last year. The stream behind the house broke it's banks 2x last year, which wasn't normal. Usually a weekly event, as it is this year. 4m plus rain in totak last year v average of 3.3m. I hope it doesn't flood, wife's cousin had enough problems in BKK

Fortunately, rain falling on Ranong doesn't affect BKK or central Thailand.

Edited by MESmith