Where To Settle Down For Six Months?

n00b

As neither you nor your partner have strong views on where to live, it might be better to travel around for the 6 months, including spending some time with her family.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

That will cost considerably more money but is a better idea.

I reckon the OP would be better off deferring his trip for a couple of months in order to be able to forget about penny pinching and enjoy time with his gf.

She sounds a lovely lass by the way OP. wink.png

She is the best girl I've been with smile.png

And I'm not choosing to stick with her because I'm not able to get women in my home country. I actually prefer her to any women I've met, including those in my own country.

Problem with moving around is that I want to take language courses, I want us to communicate better. A 180 hour course for myself in Thai and some English lessons for her. That is mainly why I want to spend most of the time in one place. And I can enjoy my time with her without spending much money as she never asks me to buy her stuff I won't be going shopping every day either. She is grateful enough that I will provide for her needs and I do think she sees the long term picture and wants to come with me to my home country.

I live in BKK, in Bang Kapi, while its not near the BTS or MRT, it is near the Airport Link and the Saen Saab canal and the riverboats are cheap and fast if need to get to the more central part of the city. There are numerous language schools about. I have a one bedroom condo, 17th floor, 40 sqm, proper kitchen (minus an oven), washing machine; the condo has a pool, fitness, 24hr minimart, several dryclean and laundry facilities, coffee shop, couple small restaurants, barber shop in the complex. My rent with cable, wifi, electric and water is under 16k month. Rent is 12k, cable and wifi is 1800, water about 100, and in the past 6 months electric has never been over 1100.... Don't run the a/c much as we get a great breeze thru the place but run fans pretty all day when we are here. If you wanted to be near the BTS you might want to look at On Nut or Bang Na areas, cheap rents and nice places to be had. Couple years ago, I lived in Sathorn and paid 35K month for a condo that was smaller and not as nice but location, location, location.

With your budget of 40K, I think you will have no problems. My GF and I spend 2000thb every weeks at the grocery, and probably another 2000-3000 thb per month eating out. I find that generally most things here are cheaper...... as others had said, if you want to eat swiss cheese, USDA beef, and Fruity Pebbles everyday then you will blow your budget, but if you or the GF can cook and don't mind eating street food and limiting your dining experiences at western restaurants then you will be fine. (I finally found Fruity Pebbles at Villa on Ramkhamhaeng.... Family Size box = 299thb, told the GF "hands off")

I say give it a go!!!! Continue to do your research. And talk with your GF and let her know of your budget so you don't have any surprises later on......GOOD LUCK!!!!

Edited by tjhorner

I live in BKK, in Bang Kapi, while its not near the BTS or MRT, it is near the Airport Link and the Saen Saab canal and the riverboats are cheap and fast if need to get to the more central part of the city. There are numerous language schools about. I have a one bedroom condo, 17th floor, 40 sqm, proper kitchen (minus an oven), washing machine; the condo has a pool, fitness, 24hr minimart, several dryclean and laundry facilities, coffee shop, couple small restaurants, barber shop in the complex. My rent with cable, wifi, electric and water is under 16k month. Rent is 12k, cable and wifi is 1800, water about 100, and in the past 6 months electric has never been over 1100.... Don't run the a/c much as we get a great breeze thru the place but run fans pretty all day when we are here. If you wanted to be near the BTS you might want to look at On Nut or Bang Na areas, cheap rents and nice places to be had. Couple years ago, I lived in Sathorn and paid 35K month for a condo that was smaller and not as nice but location, location, location.

With your budget of 40K, I think you will have no problems. My GF and I spend 2000thb every weeks at the grocery, and probably another 2000-3000 thb per month eating out. I find that generally most things here are cheaper...... as others had said, if you want to eat swiss cheese, USDA beef, and Fruity Pebbles everyday then you will blow your budget, but if you or the GF can cook and don't mind eating street food and limiting your dining experiences at western restaurants then you will be fine. (I finally found Fruity Pebbles at Villa on Ramkhamhaeng.... Family Size box = 299thb, told the GF "hands off")

I say give it a go!!!! Continue to do your research. And talk with your GF and let her know of your budget so you don't have any surprises later on......GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'm not ruling out Bangkok completely. I just found that I really hated trying to walk longer distances in Bangkok, it's just too chaotic and you are forced to walk really slow.

I would prefer proximity to a sky train station if I was to live in Bangkok. Also would be nice to have a supermarket within short range (meaning around 50 baht with taxi meter) to do weekly shopping in. Preferably a language school in close distance with sky train or short range with taxi as I would be attending that 1-2 times a week depending on the schedule.

I don't know, Bangkok just seems too crowded. I might get used to it or I might go crazy within a month.

The positive is that Bangkok has almost everything. Negative is you have to use some form of transport for everything you want to get to.

I really think a smaller coastal city is what I want to stay in. Patong is decent size, Pattaya is decent size. I would like something similar with less mass tourism, prostitution and crime. I want to know more about Hua Hin, Cha Am, Koh Samui, Rayong, Chumpon and Surat Thani. Also some inland cities like Chiang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani.

And not just from the travel guides and Wikipedia links I seem to find when searching for information. I'm interested in hearing from people living there more than just a few weeks. Thanks for the information so far, I just want to find out more since I'm most likely going to stay in one place for half a year.

I'm looking for somewhere most of the things I want to do and buy can be found within a walking distance as otherwise I would have to cut other expenses to factor in a higher transport costs. Like Bangkok where you would probably end up spending 4-5k a month on transport.

In Jomtien most could be found within walking distance and if not, it was only a 10 baht ride away. If they only had metered taxis I might have just decided on going back there but it can become impractical to buy things and take them with you on a songthaew.

I also got the impression that Pattaya is infested with crime and most places to go out are either lady bars or nightclubs where the beer cost 150+ baht.

I have to cut my writing down now, I'm sensing this is becoming too long a post wink.png

Quick questions

1: Which places other than Bangkok actually have taxis where they actually use the meter?

2: Which of the places I've mentioned have the lowest crime rate?

Hua Hin

Cha Am

Chonburi

Rayong

Jomtien

Chumpon

Surat Thani

Bangkok

Chiang Mai

Korat

Ubon Ratchathani

3: Which of those places have cheapest rent for condos or townhouses with good security? (the price of renting a townhouse quickly goes up if my belongings are stolen).

1. Only Bangkok.

2. Completely guessing, I would say Korat and Ubon. That's based on news headlines I have seen.

3. It depends. High farang areas will cost more (Bangkok, Hua Hin, etc)

Edited by IsaanUSA

1. Only Bangkok.

2. Completely guessing, I would say Korat and Ubon. That's based on news headlines I have seen.

3. It depends. High farang areas will cost more (Bangkok, Hua Hin, etc)

#1: Not True! There may be a glimmer of hope for us outside Bangkok yet!!!!

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2012/07/chiang-rais-commutes-improve/

CHIANG RAI, 9 July 2012: For the first time, visitors and residents can enjoy the luxury of flagging down a meter-taxi here in this northern-most town in Thailand.

The new service started last week using brand new Toyotas that can be flagged down for trips within the city or booked for trips throughout the province.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Normally the language schools are for 1 year and will give you Non-ED visa for about 25k. I recon the Thai embassy in Oslo can issue this, but you will need school documents first. If you want to take care of this after you arrive Thailand, you have to cross some border to get to a Thai embassy. I am not sure what ½ year in school will do for you. It has taken me 3 years to handle the Thai language in a way that Thais understand me and I understand them. I also read/write some Thai.

About western food: Most of it you can make yourself. Of cause you can buy frozen pizza, but with a stove it’s easy to make yourself for ¼ of the price. Just buy some cheese in Macro, rest of the ingredients you can get at the local marked.

I am a Norwegian as well and make “sursild” - Pickled herring, tomato herring, “sylte” – some kind of pickled pig head meat pressed, jam, “kjøttkaker” – meatballs etc. etc. That means you can live cheap if you like to.

Where to settle I have no idea. We live in a small town in Pichit district and are happy with that. I probably see other farangs 2-3 times a month.

Why not consider purchasing a 2nd hand (well used but working) scooter for around 7000baht (and selling it or giving to GF's family when you leave)? This could save a lot of taxi, bus and train fares and avoid the delays, frustration and overheating from waiting and walking.

Why not consider purchasing a 2nd hand (well used but working) scooter for around 7000baht (and selling it or giving to GF's family when you leave)? This could save a lot of taxi, bus and train fares and avoid the delays, frustration and overheating from waiting and walking.

Buying a scooter is not a good idea. Driving in Thailand are not a game spes if you don't have any experience

I want to know more about Hua Hin, Cha Am, Koh Samui, Rayong, Chumpon and Surat Thani. Also some inland cities like Chiang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani.

Hi n00b,

I can give you some opinions. Just remember, what works for some is a disaster for others.

-Hua Hin - lots of traffic, beach is just so-so, rents a bit expensive (lived in Cha am)

-Cha am - (lived there 3 years) less traffic (but you will need transportation like a rented or purchased motorcycle), better beach, slightly cheaper rents

-Rayong - for my wife and I, had an unfriendly feel. Beach is okay, rents are okay (only visited)

-Chumphon - beaches near town were dirty when I was there (visited 4-5 times) .. best beach is Thungwualen about 50+ km north. Rents are okay. One of the rainiest provinces in Thailand.

-Chiang Mai - (lived there 2 times for a combined 18 months) pretty nice city - traffic around the moat area gets crazy at rush hours. Lots of shopping and services (probably the best on your list). Rents very reasonable. (need transportation)

-Korat - (lived about 30 km south for 2 years) Traffic can be pretty bad. Rents okay. Shopping pretty good. Some apartments and small condos near The Mall. (need transportation)

Re (need transportation). If you are planning on staying in one area for 6 months, why not but a small motorbike. If you leave Thailand alone, it makes a nice parting gift to your friend .. or if you take her with you, a gift to the family.

Don't worry too much about the unfamiliarity aspect for your lady-friend. This is Thailand, she is Thai, she is 31. The other side of that coin, if she has no social contacts there, you will be her center of attention.

FWIW, I now live in Khon Kaen -- after living in Bangkok (2x), Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai (2x), Pattaya, Cha am, Bang Saphan (Ban Krut), Korat (Pak Thongchai).

You seem to be thinking the right way. Keep going in that direction and enjoy your time here .. I have enjoyed mine! smile.png

• Like 1

She has been okay without family and friends for two months before and I don't think that would be a problem. I would like to try for a bit longer and in one place to see if she can cope if I plan to take her to my home country. Where she certainly would be away from friends and family.

In that regard it would make sense to be as far away from Ubon as possible.

I know this isn't a relationship advice thread, and you did not explicitly ask for relationship advice, but this is something you will need to discuss with her. You should sit down and have a serious discussion about this. This is a huge life change and you would be removing ALL of her friends and even her personal identity as a Thai person (to an extent). Please don't assume that she wants to live in your country permanently.

I mean no offense to you, your country, or your beliefs. I'm just trying to help you out so that you will have a more successful relationship with your gal.

Normally the language schools are for 1 year and will give you Non-ED visa for about 25k. I recon the Thai embassy in Oslo can issue this, but you will need school documents first. If you want to take care of this after you arrive Thailand, you have to cross some border to get to a Thai embassy. I am not sure what ½ year in school will do for you. It has taken me 3 years to handle the Thai language in a way that Thais understand me and I understand them. I also read/write some Thai.

About western food: Most of it you can make yourself. Of cause you can buy frozen pizza, but with a stove it’s easy to make yourself for ¼ of the price. Just buy some cheese in Macro, rest of the ingredients you can get at the local marked.

I am a Norwegian as well and make “sursild” - Pickled herring, tomato herring, “sylte” – some kind of pickled pig head meat pressed, jam, “kjøttkaker” – meatballs etc. etc. That means you can live cheap if you like to.

Where to settle I have no idea. We live in a small town in Pichit district and are happy with that. I probably see other farangs 2-3 times a month.

About the visa, the problem is that I would have to decide on where to stay before leaving Norway if I were to apply beforehand.

The only western food I really crave is home made Pizza and proper bread. Maybe it could be made in a toaster oven if I can't find a place with a stove.

Buying a scooter is not a good idea. Driving in Thailand are not a game spes if you don't have any experience

Merciless traffic, wrong side of the road and I never drove anything on two wheels before. I don't think it's a good idea for me.

I want to know more about Hua Hin, Cha Am, Koh Samui, Rayong, Chumpon and Surat Thani. Also some inland cities like Chiang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani.

Hi n00b,

I can give you some opinions. Just remember, what works for some is a disaster for others.

-Hua Hin - lots of traffic, beach is just so-so, rents a bit expensive (lived in Cha am)

-Cha am - (lived there 3 years) less traffic (but you will need transportation like a rented or purchased motorcycle), better beach, slightly cheaper rents

-Rayong - for my wife and I, had an unfriendly feel. Beach is okay, rents are okay (only visited)

-Chumphon - beaches near town were dirty when I was there (visited 4-5 times) .. best beach is Thungwualen about 50+ km north. Rents are okay. One of the rainiest provinces in Thailand.

-Chiang Mai - (lived there 2 times for a combined 18 months) pretty nice city - traffic around the moat area gets crazy at rush hours. Lots of shopping and services (probably the best on your list). Rents very reasonable. (need transportation)

-Korat - (lived about 30 km south for 2 years) Traffic can be pretty bad. Rents okay. Shopping pretty good. Some apartments and small condos near The Mall. (need transportation)

Re (need transportation). If you are planning on staying in one area for 6 months, why not but a small motorbike. If you leave Thailand alone, it makes a nice parting gift to your friend .. or if you take her with you, a gift to the family.

Don't worry too much about the unfamiliarity aspect for your lady-friend. This is Thailand, she is Thai, she is 31. The other side of that coin, if she has no social contacts there, you will be her center of attention.

FWIW, I now live in Khon Kaen -- after living in Bangkok (2x), Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai (2x), Pattaya, Cha am, Bang Saphan (Ban Krut), Korat (Pak Thongchai).

You seem to be thinking the right way. Keep going in that direction and enjoy your time here .. I have enjoyed mine! smile.png

Do I really need transportation everywhere? I've read online that there are metered taxis in Chiang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani. I even took one in Ubon Ratchathani city (spent half a day there), it did however require me to make a phone call and wait for 30 minutes as there were hardly any driving around.

She has been okay without family and friends for two months before and I don't think that would be a problem. I would like to try for a bit longer and in one place to see if she can cope if I plan to take her to my home country. Where she certainly would be away from friends and family.

In that regard it would make sense to be as far away from Ubon as possible.

I know this isn't a relationship advice thread, and you did not explicitly ask for relationship advice, but this is something you will need to discuss with her. You should sit down and have a serious discussion about this. This is a huge life change and you would be removing ALL of her friends and even her personal identity as a Thai person (to an extent). Please don't assume that she wants to live in your country permanently.

I mean no offense to you, your country, or your beliefs. I'm just trying to help you out so that you will have a more successful relationship with your gal.

No offence taken. We have talked about this before and she understands that I can't relocate to Thailand indefinitely. Norway is the only alternative for long term.

Here in Pattaya, there are no metered taxis. But private cars are everywhere. My friends use these services when they want to go out when it's raining, or when they are heading out of town a bit. They live in Jomtien. When they want to visit, say, Naklua or head down towards my house, it about 150B. More expensive than in BKK, but still not that much. And they don't do this very often. But, nice to know this service is available. If on the baht bus route, taxis are not really required.

Can't argue with you on the scooter issue. I see nasty accidents ALL the time. Many friends have been in them. I would think a small town like Cha Am would be OK with a scooter to just cruise around a bit, but here in Pattaya, it's crazy traffic...and cops looking to extract money out of foreigner's who drive them. I have a scooter, but only drive close to my house and off the main streets.

Though I am confident she has real feelings for me. Which is not unlikely as I am neither old, unattractive, abusive or cheating.

There is a very simple way to prove the point.

Treat her like you would a girlfriend back home, ie don't hand her or her family money for the pleasure of her company.

She'll either demontrate the truth of your confident belief or she'll exit stage left.

Eitherway you get to the truth of the matter and have more of your own cash to spend on your holiday.

the very fact that he doesn't want her working and can make up her wages means this will not be the case.

Anyone who can up sticks to play house for 6 months in no way resembles a girlfriend back home.

Edited by nocturn

Hi n00b,

Do I really need transportation everywhere? I've read online that there are metered taxis in Chiang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani. I even took one in Ubon Ratchathani city (spent half a day there), it did however require me to make a phone call and wait for 30 minutes as there were hardly any driving around.

Well, I have my own transportation, but .. Thailand can be quite different from how it is represented online.

Will your girlfriend be doing any cooking? If so she will probably be shopping at the Thai markets. Market songtaews don't run in every neighborhood.

In my honest opinion, if you ask a Thai woman to walk everywhere, you have the makings of a rebellion. What is your budget for taxis fare for yourself and lady friend?

I'm not talking about making long trips on a motorcycle, but taking a nice ride a few km down the beach on a Sunday afternoon, going shopping?

I have yet to find a Thai city where walking is not a pain-in-the-butt -- well, Maybe Chantaburi. Anyhow, the above is just my opinion.

Anyhow, you're welcome.

Edited by klikster

what's more important the ED visa or learning Thai, language schools can get ED visa's relativly easlily, Language schools that can learn you reasonable Thai harder to find. My experience is its more about providing a visa than leaning Thai unless you go to BKK, cetainly one of the better ones in Pattaya told me they could not improve my speaking ability with out private tuition.

I pay 8500 for 3 bed house in east pattaya, 2 bathrooms and seperate maid apartment. Baht bus 20 baht into Naklu, then either 40 baht motorbike or 10 baht baht bus into central pattaya, do finish about 6 pm though.

security condos on 10th floor sounds a good option, otherwise no such thing as good security, sleeping or in on the job, even in the high end villages. A Jontiem condo would be in your budget.

Girlfreind left alone with lap top, well wrecked my relationsip and curently a few friends, they get addicted to chat rooms and <deleted> book aka facebook.

10s and 10s of thousands of Isaan girls living happily in the south, i lived there for 8 years. Social skills will revolve about, what you eat today, where you go today and how much money boyfirend give you.

Thai salaris are small compared to western world but present girlfriend earns 20k per month and pays her way, and rent on her room, i am old and fat so i can dictate visting rights, she is only 20 years younger not 30.

with food etc the 5k per month will in fact work out at about 10k per month, its only 20-30 baht per meal from market but thai girls graze not eat so its 4-5-6 times per day x 20 or 30 baht. My advice stay as far as possible away from the family as you can, wished i had.

Theres a differnece between reported crime and crime, pattaya has reporters in the police station, hence over reporting of every possible crime.

work out what your going to spend add 50% and you will be about there.

Just based on my experience of the last 15 years.

Hi n00b,

Well, I have my own transportation, but .. Thailand can be quite different from how it is represented online.

Will your girlfriend be doing any cooking? If so she will probably be shopping at the Thai markets. Market songtaews don't run in every neighborhood.

In my honest opinion, if you ask a Thai woman to walk everywhere, you have the makings of a rebellion. What is your budget for taxis fare for yourself and lady friend?

I'm not talking about making long trips on a motorcycle, but taking a nice ride a few km down the beach on a Sunday afternoon, going shopping?

I have yet to find a Thai city where walking is not a pain-in-the-butt -- well, Maybe Chantaburi. Anyhow, the above is just my opinion.

Anyhow, you're welcome.

Okay, thanks. Yes, she will be doing her own cooking for Thai food, I'll probably have to do the western food. In Jomtien we lived near a Thai market so it wasn't a big issue there.

Thanks for the input, to everyone.

I have taken the advice, postponed the trip some days as a week long job came up. It now makes the budget 50k a month on average.

I guess I can expand my rent budgeting to 15k PLUS electricity and internet.