Where To Settle Down For Six Months?

n00b

The time for my arrival in Thailand is coming up in less than two months. I'm about to order plane tickets soon and I have not yet decided on where to stay. My girlfriend is from a village in the east. I won't survive more than two weeks in a place like that without going insane so we need to stay somewhere with more to offer. I also want to learn Thai, and get an education visa so the place to settle would need a language school.

My budget after plane tickets, language course, a laptop for my girl and other predetermined expenses will be around 40k baht per month.

I would ideally like as comfortable a living as possible for my limited budget in a nice location. I have previously been to Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok. I don't want to live in Pattaya or Phuket, too much of you know what there plus living expenses are probably higher than other places in Thailand, at least for Phuket. I would like to be close to the coast or a river, Bangkok could be an alternative if I could find something cheap riverside, I think I would feel trapped between all the skyscrapers otherwise. I have thought about Cha Am or Hua Hin, I do prefer the coast, maybe since I have always lived near the coast. I am sure there are other coastal alternatives as well.

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai or Ubon Ratchathani (the cities) are the inland alternatives I have considered.

The location is important but of course I want to get my 40k baht worth as much as possible. I want to know where I can find a condo/apartment under 10k for six months rent. It should have a proper kitchen (not just microwave and water boiler) and one or two bedrooms, if the bathroom has a tub that is a plus, if the kitchen has an oven that is also a big plus. Finding this information from most listings seems to be difficult, I also suspect the prices on listings are higher than what you could get looking elsewhere.

I want it closely located to supermarkets, the beach/riverside and a language school. It's a bit difficult to get all this information through simple Google search so I'm asking here.

Would be nice to know about the places I have mentioned and how they compare in cost of living, also if you have any alternatives that I could look at (preferably coastal/island). Any information would be much appreciated.

You'll have a lot more options at your price range if you forget about the kitchen and oven requirement. You can buy an electric stove and a decent sized toaster oven at Tesco cheaply. Place that comes with these things built in can be pricey. Not many Thais use ovens so you usually have to pay to get a place with one included

• Like 1

I'd choose Krabi Town....but not sure about language schools or Teaching there. Cheap and much easier to pick up the language in a mostly Thai environment whilst being close to the beaches etc....

+1

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

you seem to be on a rather low budget. Remember, Thailand is not cheap. The "top" locations like Krabi, Phuket, Hua Hin and Bangkok will eat up your money fast.

Go try Cha-Am, it is not as expensive as Hua Hin, I had rented a two story townhouse out there for 7000 BAHt per month until i moved on in 2010. There are some schools within reach to the Hua Hin side.

One big concern is, your northern born Thai GF will have difficulties in making ties with the local, if you try to live in the south. Exceptions bargirls with the same background. You mentioned in the Isaan you get bored after two weeks, please expect the same to happen to your Thai GF as soon as you settle at a beachside. An Isaan lady does not want to suntan ! She will never understand how you can enjoy sitting in a dirty chair at the beach, drink beer, behave lazy and most of all tanning your skin darker - as this makes you become low-class !

Don 't forget to be open ear and diplomatic in case this becomes all obvious.

Why not move into the next big town of her area ? Hey, Khon Kaen, Ubon Ratchathani, Korat . . all real good places , low budget, all amenities and more ! and schools !

Edited by crazygreg44

I'd choose Krabi Town....but not sure about language schools or Teaching there. Cheap and much easier to pick up the language in a mostly Thai environment whilst being close to the beaches etc....

and you will also end up with adistinctive accent to set you apart.

you could always move to Chiang Mai and actively promote cloying videos for extra cash -- oops, thats been done.

How about taking a look at Sri Racha, beach nearby. If you want to spend a weekend away, say once month, not to far to Koh Samet/BKK. Has language schools, good shopping if you want some western food. Good access to medical care if something happens. But as other posts have mentioned maybe a bit lonely for GF being away from family & friends, On the reverse side at least you'll get to see how she can handle herself.

Additional plus, not overun by those pesky farangs!

Edited by simple1

She will never understand how you can enjoy sitting in a dirty chair at the beach, drink beer, behave lazy and most of all tanning your skin darker - as this makes you become low-class !

In my opinion, the people who do this, are, to begin with. No harm her knowing the reality of the situation.

OP - You're money will go a lot further and you will truly understand your GF if you try it out in the East. Why not find a city their and give it a go? Kalasin? Khon Kean? Roiyet? All have a fair amount of Farangs knocking about.

You're in a fix though; 40k a month is not a great deal. Have you told your GF the limitations of your budget and does she realise that the laptop is a one off gift or could she have the impression that it is only the start? On this basis getting away from the folks will be a good idea perhaps. As she can move so easily sounds like she does not work. Even two weeks with the family will dent your savings as well so perhaps cut that one short. You might also be expected to pay something to the family before the allow their little girl to move off with a Farang for 6 months. Lots to consider.

Chiang Mai or Rai or Koh Chang would be my best guess to eak out your budget.

Cha Am as well but as mentioned, the only friends she will pick up are other Issan girls and in those regions, they might well be working girls.

you seem to be on a rather low budget. Remember, Thailand is not cheap. The "top" locations like Krabi, Phuket, Hua Hin and Bangkok will eat up your money fast.

Go try Cha-Am, it is not as expensive as Hua Hin, I had rented a two story townhouse out there for 7000 BAHt per month until i moved on in 2010. There are some schools within reach to the Hua Hin side.

One big concern is, your northern born Thai GF will have difficulties in making ties with the local, if you try to live in the south. Exceptions bargirls with the same background. You mentioned in the Isaan you get bored after two weeks, please expect the same to happen to your Thai GF as soon as you settle at a beachside. An Isaan lady does not want to suntan ! She will never understand how you can enjoy sitting in a dirty chair at the beach, drink beer, behave lazy and most of all tanning your skin darker - as this makes you become low-class !

Why not move into the next big town of her area ? Hey, Khon Kaen, Ubon Ratchathani, Korat . . all real good places , low budget, all amenities and more ! and schools !

Two story townhouse for 7k baht sounds amazing.

Ubon Ratchathani is something I am considering. The getting bored part is mostly about being in a village for too long. One concern is if her sisters or friends sees this as an invitation to move in with us. Good thing is we can visit her family once in a while without 10 hours on a bus each way. But I really do like the coast. I haven't been riverside in Ubon Ratchathani but if it resembles riverside in Phnom Penh in any way, it is certainly doable.

She has been okay without family and friends for two months before and I don't think that would be a problem. I would like to try for a bit longer and in one place to see if she can cope if I plan to take her to my home country. Where she certainly would be away from friends and family.

In that regard it would make sense to be as far away from Ubon as possible. Personally I am a bit sceptic about Cha Am as I may grow tired of it as well after a few weeks. Hua Hin looks like a better alternative as it is more of a city. I may dig into the coffers (i.e work more and spend less before I go) and add 5k to my rent budget if that is what it takes to find a place in Hua Hin. I am financing these 6 months with just over 2 months work so I know I don't expect to live like a king on that money but with prices being on average 3 times lower than back home I guess I will do okay. I am by the way spending less than 40k baht a month up here in one of the most expensive countries in the world now, living very spartan though.

She will never understand how you can enjoy sitting in a dirty chair at the beach, drink beer, behave lazy and most of all tanning your skin darker - as this makes you become low-class !

In my opinion, the people who do this, are, to begin with. No harm her knowing the reality of the situation.

OP - You're money will go a lot further and you will truly understand your GF if you try it out in the East. Why not find a city their and give it a go? Kalasin? Khon Kean? Roiyet? All have a fair amount of Farangs knocking about.

You're in a fix though; 40k a month is not a great deal. Have you told your GF the limitations of your budget and does she realise that the laptop is a one off gift or could she have the impression that it is only the start? On this basis getting away from the folks will be a good idea perhaps. As she can move so easily sounds like she does not work. Even two weeks with the family will dent your savings as well so perhaps cut that one short. You might also be expected to pay something to the family before the allow their little girl to move off with a Farang for 6 months. Lots to consider.

Cha Am as well but as mentioned, the only friends she will pick up are other Issan girls and in those regions, they might well be working girls.

5k baht taken out of the budget for sending home to her family as her contributions when working was in the 2-5k range. I told her she doesn't need to work as I don't see 10k baht a month worth working longer hours than I have to work to get 15 times that. I'm supplying her with that now.

She's not really a little girl at 31 any more and I have met her parents and they don't have a problem with her being with me.

The laptop is so that we will have a better way to communicate than just through phone when I inevitably have to leave again. Last time I checked in the IT mall in Bangkok they sold laptops as cheap as 12k baht.

Is the east really that much cheaper? How about some average rental price figures for a 1 bedroom condo for the various places mentioned?

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai is even cheaper?

Apart from rental prices and prices in bars and nightclubs (which I won't frequent too often) I guess the prices won't be different on anything that is standard retail goods in supermarkets. Of course, cheaper rent gives me more money to spend on other things.

Too bad you can't really eat seafood in any of these places and I have to eat malaria pills.

I wouldn't rule out the Pattaya area. Between Ban Amphur and Bang Saray are some condos right near the ocean that are quite cheap. About 20 minutes to Central Pattaya road and Suk. Lots of other options also. We live down near that area and love it. We do most of our shopping at the fresh markets, but Tesco and Makro are only a 10 minute drive. I walk on the beach 3-4 times a week. We get cool breezes. We only venture into Pattaya when we want to have fun. Like tonight, there's a big shindig in town and we headed into town. But normally, only go into town a few times a month.

East Pattaya is another option. Lots of inexpensive places there and lots to do. Just some thoughts....

Considering you have nothing setup here at all, 35k a month (after the 5k contribution to the family) to have the type of entertaining and romantic trip you are talking about seems near impossible to me.

The only way I could see 1,100 bath a day for 2 people surviving here and trying to have some sort of social life is to stay with friends or family somewhere very cheap, which usually means somewhere where no other tourists, attractions and the like are close by. Otherwise a half decent hotel is going to burn up a lot of your daily budget before you've even factored in 2 meals a day, so your 1k probably won't even cover your basic food and lodgings for the pair of you. Yes, a Thai couple would make 400 to 800 bath a day between then and live but they have the support of family and friends and a house setup already.

I had a Thai style apartment in Bangkok until recently. About 4k a month including all bills and internet, but it was totally unfurnished and we have to pay about 10k deposit upfront.

Also, I'd be wondering if your Isaan lady is going to be happy living a basic existence on a shoestring budget when she was probably as well off before her faring bf came along. Girls with farang partners are expecting and assumed to be living some high life, she isn't going to want to go back and tell everyone in her village she just roughed it for 6 months. She will probably also want some savings or gold at the end of it, you can't just expect her to think the holiday and being with you is all she gets for 6 months of her time.

5k baht taken out of the budget for sending home to her family as her contributions when working was in the 2-5k range. I told her she doesn't need to work as I don't see 10k baht a month worth working longer hours than I have to work to get 15 times that. I'm supplying her with that now.

She's not really a little girl at 31 any more and I have met her parents and they don't have a problem with her being with me.

The laptop is so that we will have a better way to communicate than just through phone when I inevitably have to leave again. Last time I checked in the IT mall in Bangkok they sold laptops as cheap as 12k baht.

Is the east really that much cheaper? How about some average rental price figures for a 1 bedroom condo for the various places mentioned?

Apart from rental prices and prices in bars and nightclubs (which I won't frequent too often) I guess the prices won't be different on anything that is standard retail goods in supermarkets. Of course, cheaper rent gives me more money to spend on other things.

Too bad you can't really eat seafood in any of these places and I have to eat malaria pills.

\

yes - it is cheaper.

http://tinyurl.com/6mfnrr6 as an example.

Farang food gets expensive quickly. She will most likely be quite happy eating somtam and street food for 30 baht a meal, so her side will be cheap as long as you do not make the mistake of feeling bad about tucking into a fat steak and chips at the same time. Food can be cheap. Outside of the hubs like BK, CM, HH, Pattaya, the types of bars and clubs you have experienced are very hard to find if they exist at all; the similar places are cheaper and priced towards people earning 10k a month for a family.

I've never taken malaria pills up there but might be different living there (jump onto the specific boards and ask the people that do live there what the score is). But seafood, well that's expensive, and you won't be eating it every night regardless of where you live but most places in Thailand you can get it (might not be that fresh though) and Makro will sort you out anyway.

You can get cheap places to live in Pattaya, but nothing else is cheap.

Two story townhouse for 7k baht sounds amazing.

Ubon Ratchathani is something I am considering. The getting bored part is mostly about being in a village for too long. One concern is if her sisters or friends sees this as an invitation to move in with us. Good thing is we can visit her family once in a while without 10 hours on a bus each way. But I really do like the coast. I haven't been riverside in Ubon Ratchathani but if it resembles riverside in Phnom Penh in any way, it is certainly doable.

She has been okay without family and friends for two months before and I don't think that would be a problem. I would like to try for a bit longer and in one place to see if she can cope if I plan to take her to my home country. Where she certainly would be away from friends and family.

In that regard it would make sense to be as far away from Ubon as possible. Personally I am a bit sceptic about Cha Am as I may grow tired of it as well after a few weeks. Hua Hin looks like a better alternative as it is more of a city. I may dig into the coffers (i.e work more and spend less before I go) and add 5k to my rent budget if that is what it takes to find a place in Hua Hin. I am financing these 6 months with just over 2 months work so I know I don't expect to live like a king on that money but with prices being on average 3 times lower than back home I guess I will do okay. I am by the way spending less than 40k baht a month up here in one of the most expensive countries in the world now, living very spartan though.

I live in Chiang Mai and have never eaten malaria pills neither have any of my friends who live in the city or even further on the country side. If you like to do some trekking in the jungle, your might have to do some research and take some malaria pills otherwise not.

Sure Seafood is not the same up here, however, they do have a couple of popular Seafood restaurants and fresh river fish is available most places.

And it is cheap to live here.

I wouldn't rule out the Pattaya area. Between Ban Amphur and Bang Saray are some condos right near the ocean that are quite cheap. About 20 minutes to Central Pattaya road and Suk. Lots of other options also. We live down near that area and love it. We do most of our shopping at the fresh markets, but Tesco and Makro are only a 10 minute drive. I walk on the beach 3-4 times a week. We get cool breezes. We only venture into Pattaya when we want to have fun. Like tonight, there's a big shindig in town and we headed into town. But normally, only go into town a few times a month.

East Pattaya is another option. Lots of inexpensive places there and lots to do. Just some thoughts....

I won't be renting any car so I prefer to have supermarkets within walking distance. Jomtien was okay but I am looking for somewhere else this time.

Considering you have nothing setup here at all, 35k a month (after the 5k contribution to the family) to have the type of entertaining and romantic trip you are talking about seems near impossible to me.

The only way I could see 1,100 bath a day for 2 people surviving here and trying to have some sort of social life is to stay with friends or family somewhere very cheap, which usually means somewhere where no other tourists, attractions and the like are close by. Otherwise a half decent hotel is going to burn up a lot of your daily budget before you've even factored in 2 meals a day, so your 1k probably won't even cover your basic food and lodgings for the pair of you. Yes, a Thai couple would make 400 to 800 bath a day between then and live but they have the support of family and friends and a house setup already.

I had a Thai style apartment in Bangkok until recently. About 4k a month including all bills and internet, but it was totally unfurnished and we have to pay about 10k deposit upfront.

Also, I'd be wondering if your Isaan lady is going to be happy living a basic existence on a shoestring budget when she was probably as well off before her faring bf came along. Girls with farang partners are expecting and assumed to be living some high life, she isn't going to want to go back and tell everyone in her village she just roughed it for 6 months. She will probably also want some savings or gold at the end of it, you can't just expect her to think the holiday and being with you is all she gets for 6 months of her time.

40-45k after other expenses

And this is not a "romantic trip", this will be trying to live together for a substantial time to find out if we can make it work together.

If 40k baht in Thailand equals 120k baht in Norway, as it is based on most prices, then it should work.

I'm calculating a budget.

Rent: 11,000 + Electricity: 2500 + Internet: 1500 = 15,000

Groceries: 9000 (2100 per week)

Transport: 3000 (might not be necessary if everything is within walking distance)

Dining out: 3000 (5-10 times a month)

Going out: 3000 (2 nights a month)

Clothes: 2000

Various Items: 2000

Other entertainment: 2000

Beer: 1140 (2 cases of Leo beer cans)

= 40,140, still leaves another potential 5k for rent depending on work.

Please don't paint everyone under the same brush. Even if she didn't truly love me I don't think every Thai woman can be short sighted enough to only think about short term monetary gains. She might even consider it an investment. If a woman from Thailand "wins me over" she could potentially end up in a country where someone cleaning floors for a living makes three times more than a doctor in her home country.

Though I am confident she has real feelings for me. Which is not unlikely as I am neither old, unattractive, abusive or cheating.

\

yes - it is cheaper.

Farang food gets expensive quickly. She will most likely be quite happy eating somtam and street food for 30 baht a meal, so her side will be cheap as long as you do not make the mistake of feeling bad about tucking into a fat steak and chips at the same time. Food can be cheap. Outside of the hubs like BK, CM, HH, Pattaya, the types of bars and clubs you have experienced are very hard to find if they exist at all; the similar places are cheaper and priced towards people earning 10k a month for a family.

I've never taken malaria pills up there but might be different living there (jump onto the specific boards and ask the people that do live there what the score is). But seafood, well that's expensive, and you won't be eating it every night regardless of where you live but most places in Thailand you can get it (might not be that fresh though) and Makro will sort you out anyway.

She does not even like western food so I won't feel too bad. I like Thai food too but I won't be eating it more than half the time, I need some variation. I do really like the shrimps and squids, maybe they have frozen ones in the supermarkets. It would be nice to have an oven capable of making a pizza in a couple of times a month. That is one thing I start to crave after a while abroad but I never found a pizza restaurant outside of Europe that makes edible pizza.

If it helps any, if you move up to Issan (Ubon, Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, etc.), then 11,000/month for rent is quite expensive. We have a nice 4bdrm house in a great neighborhood for 4500/month. If you're careful (ie. no air conditioning), electric can be as cheap as 1000/month. Internet for 7mbps down is 630/month from 3BB.

300/day for groceries should be fine. Don't expect to eat anything imported though (cheese, wine, spices, bell peppers, lemons, etc.). Just six slices of swiss cheese will eat your daily food budget. For example, for me to make a nice chicken stir-fry for 4 people with enough for leftovers the next day, from the street market, I'm looking at:

3 (large) chicken breasts = 80 baht

broccoli * 2 = 80 baht

onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, baby corns, etc.. = 70 baht

rice or noodies = 30 baht, but lasts more than one meal

I'm already up to 260 baht there, and that doesn't include cooking oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, other spices, imported veggies I put in, something to drink, etc.

You also didn't include for the "extras" that always appear. Some family will come up for a visit, and you'll be expected to be a good host, provide a nice meal, some beers, etc.

Edited by cdnmatt

If you live near the sea, even if not, fresh seafood is really not that expensive. We get a kilo of squid for 80B. Decent shrimp for 180B. We get a lot of our fish from Makro, like frozen dory for 80B for 4 nice pieces. For pizza, get the pizza crust at Foodland for 85B for 3 pieces. Make your own in a toaster oven you can buy at Tesco for about 1000B. Pizza company is pretty darn good, but expensive.

Wifey just make me BBQ pork chops with mashed pumpkin. Last night was seafood paella. You can eat good western food here, but best if you cook it yourself. We actually find home cooked Thai food is better than what you get on the street, and in the long run, cheaper. Unless you are just buying one dish, then eating out is the way to go. Wifey gets a kilo of pork and chicken and then uses that during the week for our food. There's only 2 of us. We rarely eat street food unless we are in a hurry or out and about somewhere. Western restaurants here are quite expensive for what you get.

I lived in New York City for many years. Great pizza there. Hard to get anything like that here, but there are a few places that stand out. When you get situated, use one of our subforums for the community you are in and ask around.

Though I am confident she has real feelings for me. Which is not unlikely as I am neither old, unattractive, abusive or cheating.

There is a very simple way to prove the point.

Treat her like you would a girlfriend back home, ie don't hand her or her family money for the pleasure of her company.

She'll either demontrate the truth of your confident belief or she'll exit stage left.

Eitherway you get to the truth of the matter and have more of your own cash to spend on your holiday.

Good point. And it is HIS holiday. You should have fun!!

Treat her like you would a girlfriend back home, ie don't hand her or her family money for the pleasure of her company.

She'll either demontrate the truth of your confident belief or she'll exit stage left.

Eitherway you get to the truth of the matter and have more of your own cash to spend on your holiday.

Depends if the family needs GF financial contribution for day to day living - OP has already stated he doesn't want GF to work whilst staying with him

Dear oh dear....what a sad outlook on life....even sadder cos its probably true.

Living the dream...or a fantasy from where you will one day wake up very much poorer....?

\

yes - it is cheaper.

She does not even like western food so I won't feel too bad. I like Thai food too but I won't be eating it more than half the time, I need some variation. I do really like the shrimps and squids, maybe they have frozen ones in the supermarkets. It would be nice to have an oven capable of making a pizza in a couple of times a month. That is one thing I start to crave after a while abroad but I never found a pizza restaurant outside of Europe that makes edible pizza.

Pizza is one thing I enjoy as well, with some searching decent pizza can be found,depending of course on where you end up being based.

If it helps any, if you move up to Issan (Ubon, Khon Kaen, Nong Khai, etc.), then 11,000/month for rent is quite expensive. We have a nice 4bdrm house in a great neighborhood for 4500/month. If you're careful (ie. no air conditioning), electric can be as cheap as 1000/month. Internet for 7mbps down is 630/month from 3BB.

300/day for groceries should be fine. Don't expect to eat anything imported though (cheese, wine, spices, bell peppers, lemons, etc.). Just six slices of swiss cheese will eat your daily food budget. For example, for me to make a nice chicken stir-fry for 4 people with enough for leftovers the next day, from the street market, I'm looking at:

3 (large) chicken breasts = 80 baht

broccoli * 2 = 80 baht

onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, baby corns, etc.. = 70 baht

rice or noodies = 30 baht, but lasts more than one meal

I'm already up to 260 baht there, and that doesn't include cooking oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, other spices, imported veggies I put in, something to drink, etc.

You also didn't include for the "extras" that always appear. Some family will come up for a visit, and you'll be expected to be a good host, provide a nice meal, some beers, etc.

Such extras might appear if we lived in something big enough to have visitors. And seeing as her father is not well to travel I don't think the immediate family is coming on visits. It would rather be us visiting them. A few weeks in Ubon is more like saving money. I spend under 1k baht a week last time I was there, being in a village with most dinners provided, not much to spend money on. Though I gave her father a 5k baht gift at the end of the trip, so a total of 500 a day. My groceries budget is based on me using 400 a day for groceries last time but buying a lot more than needed and things had to be left behind after the three weeks were done.

By the way, did you get that pricing in a city?

Depends if the family needs GF financial contribution for day to day living - OP has already stated he doesn't want GF to work whilst staying with him

They need it. Her father is disabled and unable to work any more, and I have that confirmed with my own eyes for those who were about to suggest I shouldn't trust what she tells me. It's not a big loss for me to cut down on a few nights out each month in Thailand so she can get peace of mind. If I had a girlfriend back home in a similar situation I might have considered the same. Though back home they would get welfare so no need to. I'm not going to be cruel with her just to prove a point. If it was her money she would probably send half of it back home and live on a lot less. She is used to live on scraps and she knows my budget for this trip and she does not think it is too little.

I suggest you ask your girlfriend where she wants to live.

She is hopeless when I ask her about anything she wants. She just tells me "with you" when I asked her. Same as I asked her what she wants for birthday. Which is quite normal where I come from, you ask them what they want for present and you just give them exactly that, or just an envelope with money. I suggested I'll get her a small laptop, which she was happy about.

Edited by n00b

As neither you nor your partner have strong views on where to live, it might be better to travel around for the 6 months, including spending some time with her family.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

As neither you nor your partner have strong views on where to live, it might be better to travel around for the 6 months, including spending some time with her family.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

That will cost considerably more money but is a better idea.

I reckon the OP would be better off deferring his trip for a couple of months in order to be able to forget about penny pinching and enjoy time with his gf.

She sounds a lovely lass by the way OP. ;)