Aussie Tourist Airlifted To Bangkok After Fall From Phuket Tuk-Tuk

webfact

Nothing wrong with the transport. If tourists want to hang off the back, then it's their choice. You can't blame Phuket for stupid tourists. Part of the joy of Thailand is that it doesn't have all those stupid rules like they do in some Western countries, where you aren't allowed to do anything. People need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions and not blame others.

Fully agree.

If tourist takes a tuck tuck or motorcycle taxi which would never get a licence in Western countries -he should be using them at his own risk

Edited by prepress

@ sunshine51

True, but those two elements are being allowed to destroy this island's main industry, tourism.

NKM...

What's your suggestions on halting them?

Basically, it would take a "mini military coup" to clean this island up.

Sounds laughable, doesn't it, but it's that rotten to the core it's the only way any progress for the future sustainablity of tourism can be made here.

So why do you incessantly go on about it? As well as your perpetual need to post on every thread about tuk tuks and public transit? You certainly aren't going to change anything in Phuket by constantly bashing anything posted here about an accident, assault or murder being the fault of the lack of public transit. While I agree that there should be decent public transit, there isn't. So bitching about it constantly on these forums is somehow going to change that? I really doubt it! I know it's been raining and obviously you're bored. But please, get a life outside of Thaivisa...

By the way, I could care less if tourists come here. I love the low season without all the idiots around here... Why do you stay here if it's as bad as you constantly say? You aren't going to change your attitude it seems and Phuket isn't going to change because you think it should. Time for a reality check?

• Like 2

OHA! World class tourists in a world class destination!

Sometimes I really think all idiots of the world unite in Patong.

I travelt a lot in my life but it is hard to remember I have seen so many uneducated lower class people somewhere else.

Bad behavior, no manners, unpoliteness, aggressivity is not an exception but normally.

And the Thais? They think all the big big falang country must be like this. We really have not to complain if we not get respect.

I feel no pity for this guy. And I catch myself more and more to say ok, this is election by lacking brain. Doesn't matter if Thai lunatics in traffic or another falang moron in Patong not knowing basic rules.

Thailand made me bitter in the recent years, it is not nice and I am not happy about this. Sorry, substitute Thailand with Phuket to be fair.

Edited by Wikinger2

@ sunshine51

True, but those two elements are being allowed to destroy this island's main industry, tourism.

NKM...

What's your suggestions on halting them?

Basically, it would take a "mini military coup" to clean this island up.

Sounds laughable, doesn't it, but it's that rotten to the core it's the only way any progress for the future sustainablity of tourism can be made here.

So why do you incessantly go on about it? As well as your perpetual need to post on every thread about tuk tuks and public transit? You certainly aren't going to change anything in Phuket by constantly bashing anything posted here about an accident, assault or murder being the fault of the lack of public transit. While I agree that there should be decent public transit, there isn't. So bitching about it constantly on these forums is somehow going to change that? I really doubt it! I know it's been raining and obviously you're bored. But please, get a life outside of Thaivisa...

By the way, I could care less if tourists come here. I love the low season without all the idiots around here... Why do you stay here if it's as bad as you constantly say? You aren't going to change your attitude it seems and Phuket isn't going to change because you think it should. Time for a reality check?

"your perpetual need to post" - coming from a guy with 2579 posts to a guy with around 1000 posts. :) :) :) :)

You will find I'm not the only one to post whenever there is a negative tuk-tuk thread. These threads bring a lot of posters out of the wood work due to most people's disgust here about this issue.

I like Phuket, but the transport system here is sh*t and tourist need to be warned about it. If TV provides information to one tourist not to rent a jet-ski, tuk-tuk etc - GREAT.

Maybe one day the internet/social media pressure could force change here, who knows. Bad press in targeted tourist markets effects profits, and lower profits may force change. If you don't believe me, look what Facebook did for "The Arab Spring." It toppled corrupt regimes in the region.

Ahhh, such is the freedom of the internet that, provided I post within TV rules, you are just going to have to put up with me Jimi. I'll post my way, you post your way. Simple as that.

As far as "getting a life" - I'm pretty sure I play life harder than most on TV. Have a great day and remember, becareful out there. :) :) :) :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The man did not stand up on the tuk tuk, he lent over to help put down his wifes blind, but while doing that, the tuk tuk went over a bump and he fell out. All of that is rubbish and is not true, it was not his fault, it was an unlucky accident.

Who cares. He will be living it up on either sickness benefits or compo.

"Compo" from what? It didn't happen in the work place.

"sickness benefits" doesn't really cover a mortgage and living expenses.

If he had income protection and/or trauma insurance, and they were global policies, they may have paid out, otherwise, I think he, and his family, would be in some financial difficultly.

I hope he at least had travel insurance and that picked up the medical bill in Thailand.

Good luck to this chap, but a note to many Aussie tourist, the major Oz travel insurance companies do not cover accidents on tuk tuk and motor bikes. Motor bikes I under stand a bit, but when the common public transport is not covered, and very high end hotels also use tuk tuks, this is a bit unfair.

RACV Travel Insurance includes cover for riding motoercycles so long as you have valid licence.

I usually come to Thailand specifically to ride motorbikes, so I always look for this inclusion specifically... The only one I have found that completely excludes motorbikes is AAMI...

Most policies include cover for motorbikes, so long as the driver is licenced for that type of vehicle in their own country, if they are a tourist...

I have never seen a policy that excludes tuk-tuks or Song-Tao (which Phuket Tuk-Tuks really are)...

Daewoo

P.S. the guy chose Phuket, knowing it isn't the same as Australia... He chose to go out in Patong with his wife, and most likely had a few beers... He chose to ride in a tuk-tuk, knowing they aren't regulated in the same way as public transport is in Australia... he (reportedly) chose to stand on the rear step instead of sitting down...

I don't like the price of Tuk-Tuks in Phuket, and the way that they are run... When I have been in Phuket, that has had a significant impact upon my enjoyment, because it makes it hard to get around... but nothing in this story leads me the think negatively about Phuket... the guy made his own choices and had an accident... it could have been avoided as can all accidents... but so what... schissen happens... I also haven't heard anywhere that he (or his family) are blaming Thailand or Phuket for this... why are the TV members???

P.S. the guy chose Phuket, knowing it isn't the same as Australia... He chose to go out in Patong with his wife, and most likely had a few beers... He chose to ride in a tuk-tuk, knowing they aren't regulated in the same way as public transport is in Australia... he (reportedly) chose to stand on the rear step instead of sitting down...

I don't like the price of Tuk-Tuks in Phuket, and the way that they are run... When I have been in Phuket, that has had a significant impact upon my enjoyment, because it makes it hard to get around... but nothing in this story leads me the think negatively about Phuket... the guy made his own choices and had an accident... it could have been avoided as can all accidents... but so what... schissen happens... I also haven't heard anywhere that he (or his family) are blaming Thailand or Phuket for this... why are the TV members???

Because that's what they always do on here.

I pretty much agree with your post, except about the "choice" part. Overpriced tuk-tuk, or walk home. Not much of a choice, is it?

Of course, there is the other choice that many expats and tourists go for - ride a motorbike home, after a night out. I'm sure it' seemed like a great idea at the time. :) However, we see all too often on the front page of the PG how it ends up.

Ahhh, if only Phuket had the same transport options as everywhere else in Thailand. :) :) Nothing more, but nothing less.

Think of the positive "impact on your enjoyment because it would make it easier to get around." :):)

I pretty much agree with your post, except about the "choice" part. Overpriced tuk-tuk, or walk home. Not much of a choice, is it?

Ahhh, if only Phuket had the same transport options as everywhere else in Thailand. smile.pngsmile.png

Absolutely agree that it is a shame about the lack of late night transport options - but assuming he is a tourist, I am sure he could have organised a taxi through the hotel (at an exhorbitant fee) - or he could have chosen not to go out to Patong...

That is why I don't like the TukTuks in Phuket - because I don't want to stay in Patong, but would like to go there once or twice on a trip... but not if it is going to cost 1000THB to get back to Kata... that is more than in Australia... that is exactly what I meant by 'impact upon my enjoyment'...