Aussie Tourist Airlifted To Bangkok After Fall From Phuket Tuk-Tuk

webfact

Aussie tourist airlifted to Bangkok after fall from Phuket tuk-tuk

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-16372RqoGGAuDkMcTREDrClBeIbRkyA.jpg

Rescue workers attend to Australian tourist Zachary Noble, who suffered a serious head injury after falling from a moving tuk-tuk in Patong. He was airlifted to Bangkok today, but has yet to regain consciousness. Photo: Kritsada Meuanhawong

PHUKET: -- An Australian tourist on holiday in Phuket has been flown to Bangkok to receive treatment after suffering a serious head injury from falling off the back of a tuk-tuk in Patong last night.

Tuk-tuk driver Paiboon Hemwara, 30, told the Phuket Gazette that he picked up Mr Noble and his wife at the top of Soi Bangla at about 9pm.

“We were heading to their hotel. Both of them got into the back, but then her husband climbed out and stood on the back [of the tuk-tuk] and held on to the handles used for getting in and out of the rear cab,” he said.

Police, led by Patong Police Capt Jakkapong Luang-aon, arrived at the scene to find Mr Noble unconscious, lying in the middle of the road, bleeding from the face.

The accident occurred in front of OTOP Plaza on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road, not 800 meters to the south of where the couple entered the tuk-tuk.

Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers rushed Mr Noble to Patong Hospital, but he was later transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket in Phuket Town.

Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Kittipong Klaikaew told the Gazette, “We have questioned the wife and the tuk-tuk driver; we are treating the incident as an accident.

“His travel insurance company was notified and Mr Noble was flown to Bangkok today to receive hospital treatment there,” he said.

Col Kittipong said that Mr Noble had yet to regain consciousness when he left Bangkok Hospital Phuket today.

The accident follows recent complaints from tuk-tuk drivers that to be legal under Ministry of Transport regulations, all tuk-tuks must have access to the rear cab from the side of the vehicle – not the rear of the vehicle.

A representative of one tuk-tuk co-operative complained that it was too expensive to modify tuk-tuks that were in operation before the regulation was introduced, citing prices as high as 100,000 baht to modify a tuk-tuk to make it legal.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16372.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-06

Phuket is trying to prommote itself as a world class tourist destination, hoping to attract high end tourist and it has a transport system like this. It's a disgrace.

I wish Mr. Noble a speedy recovery.

It will be interesting to see where the insurance company stands on this "accident."

The guy sounds like he was being a bit of a daredevil if I read it correctly. I would be interested to see if the insurance company covers him as well but I guess they are if they flew him to Bangkok, that isn't cheap. Does Phuket not have any decent hospitals?

The guy sounds like he was being a bit of a daredevil if I read it correctly. I would be interested to see if the insurance company covers him as well but I guess they are if they flew him to Bangkok, that isn't cheap. Does Phuket not have any decent hospitals?

Overall probably better and cheaper than trying to get him repaired here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/567654-insured-but-no-cover/

Post # 20 Only my first hand experience, it don't come much better than that. The rels. in Holland have yet to be informed and give their permission.

With reference to the other thread about insurance running at the moment, this could be an interesting case.

If alcohol or drugs were involved he might not be covered. If it were pure stupidity it's likely that he'll be paid out. There's not usually a being an arse exclusion clause.

Of course it all depends upon the policy wording.

Sorry to bore those of you who haven't participated in the other thread.

Phuket is trying to prommote itself as a world class tourist destination, hoping to attract high end tourist and it has a transport system like this. It's a disgrace.

It will be interesting to see where the insurance company stands on this "accident."

Nothing wrong with the transport. If tourists want to hang off the back, then it's their choice. You can't blame Phuket for stupid tourists. Part of the joy of Thailand is that it doesn't have all those stupid rules like they do in some Western countries, where you aren't allowed to do anything. People need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions and not blame others.

"The accident follows recent complaints from tuk-tuk drivers that to be legal under Ministry of Transport regulations, all tuk-tuks must have access to the rear cab from the side of the vehicle – not the rear of the vehicle."

So, Phuket can not even supply "legal" vehicles for transport around the island. Doesn't sound so "world class holiday destination" to me. This why it will be interesting what the insurance company say. He was traveling in an illegal vehicle - not that he would have known that.

I stated in a previous thread ages ago, the insurance companies may see riding a motorbike, jet-ski ot tuk-tuk a bad risk here and may add a specific exclusion for them.

My condolences to the injured Aussie amd I hope he has a complete recovery. I wonder if the driver went through his pockets to get the fare before he was taken to hospital.

Im sorry this guy is hurt and wish him speedy recovery but as much as we tend to castigate Thailand and Phuket in particular for all its faults and foibles some of the accidents that occur are just the fault of the tourist.

Tourist flock here as we know and there must be something they breathe in on the flight here which gives them an impression that whilst on holiday they are immune from danger and damage.

From the young guys invariably with piece of candy riding pillion who get on a powerful motorbike and scream up and down the roads often in no more than shorts and sandals to the middle aged parents who haven't ridden a bicycle for years let alone a scooter and decide its Ok to run three up on a scooter with young daughter jammed in the middle all of course with no helmets .

Just last night a group of Russian tourists decided to cross the road right in front of me and then when I came to abrupt stop to avoid hitting them glared at me with an air of "how dare you drive on the road".

tourists, on arrival in Thailand please make sure your safety and self preservation meter is switched to full active mode.

• Like 1

What the heck was he doing outside the tuk-tuk while it's in motion and why didn't the driver stop immediately and tell him to get back in???

There is a Japanese saying. ' Only death can cure stupidity '

• Like 1

What the heck was he doing outside the tuk-tuk while it's in motion and why didn't the driver stop immediately and tell him to get back in???

It will be interesting to hear what his wife says about the incident, although there may be "a media blackout" on her version of events.

It's possible the tuk-tuk stopped and he thought he was at his destination, he got up and moved to the back door and then the tuk-tuk drove off again with him fall out, or falling off, the back of the tuk-tuk.

Good luck to this chap, but a note to many Aussie tourist, the major Oz travel insurance companies do not cover accidents on tuk tuk and motor bikes. Motor bikes I under stand a bit, but when the common public transport is not covered, and very high end hotels also use tuk tuks, this is a bit unfair.

Good luck to this chap, but a note to many Aussie tourist, the major Oz travel insurance companies do not cover accidents on tuk tuk and motor bikes. Motor bikes I under stand a bit, but when the common public transport is not covered, and very high end hotels also use tuk tuks, this is a bit unfair.

What are the other options, walk?

What are the other options, walk?

Sadly, the other option is to go somewhere else where there is proper transport and you are not "forced" to hire a motorbike to explore, sightsee, go out drinking, shopping and swimming in the sea.

Nothing wrong with the transport. If tourists want to hang off the back, then it's their choice. You can't blame Phuket for stupid tourists. Part of the joy of Thailand is that it doesn't have all those stupid rules like they do in some Western countries, where you aren't allowed to do anything. People need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions and not blame others.

Can't agree more.....

Mind you the two most common elements in the entire universe are;

1. Hydrogen

2. Stupidity

Hope he recovers...

• Like 1

Can't agree more.....

Mind you the two most common elements in the entire universe are;

1. Hydrogen

2. Stupidity

Hope he recovers...

And the two most common elements on Phuket are:

1) Greed

2) Corruption

You do know that you are basing you comment solely on the version of events given by the tuk-tuk driver. Would you ever expect, under any circumstances, he would admit to any fault, for anything????

And the two most common elements on Phuket are:

1) Greed

2) Corruption

You do know that you are basing you comment solely on the version of events given by the tuk-tuk driver. Would you ever expect, under any circumstances, he would admit to any fault, for anything????

NKM....

Those two elements aren't only common on Phuket...they're global.

And no....I wouldn't expect the tuk-tuk driver to admit to anything

whatsoever....except the fare he may not have received...

Agreed and that is why I and I am sure many others came to Thailand - to get away from "the Nanny State".

Agreed and that is why I and I am sure many others came to Thailand - to get away from "the Nanny State".

Maybe the expats do, but what about the tourist????

They just want a relaxing holiday. They don't expect to be scammed, ripped off, extorted, robbed, assaulted, injured or murdered. We've seen all of these on tourist in just the last week.

Edited by NamKangMan

The accident follows recent complaints from tuk-tuk drivers that to be legal under Ministry of Transport regulations, all tuk-tuks must have access to the rear cab from the side of the vehicle – not the rear of the vehicle.

A representative of one tuk-tuk co-operative complained that it was too expensive to modify tuk-tuks that were in operation before the regulation was introduced, citing prices as high as 100,000 baht to modify a tuk-tuk to make it legal.

No, the word isn't expensive, it's "Priceless" as the vehicles fly right in the face of being legal, yet nothing is done about it as the owners and co-ops keep collecting "fees" every month and that's all they care about. They don't care about passenger safety and I'd dare say the insurance on these POS's is the minimum required, which will not cover any serious incident.

This guy falling out of the back is his own doing and I hope he recovers 100%, but the safety and legality issues of these vehicles sure could use addressing................

Edited by steelepulse

“We were heading to their hotel. Both of them got into the back, but then her husband climbed out and stood on the back [of the tuk-tuk] and held on to the handles used for getting in and out of the rear cab,” he said.

Don't go running down Thailand, tuk-tuk drivers, or anyone except tourists when idiots behave like this! While I feel sorry for the guy and his family, this is an accident caused by stupidity. It is the Darwinian Theory of Evolution in practice.

• Like 1

RACV Travel Insurance includes cover for riding motoercycles so long as you have valid licence.

@ sunshine51

True, but those two elements are being allowed to destroy this island's main industry, tourism.

NKM...

What's your suggestions on halting them?

Basically, it would take a "mini military coup" to clean this island up.

Sounds laughable, doesn't it, but it's that rotten to the core it's the only way any progress for the future sustainablity of tourism can be made here.

"The accident follows recent complaints from tuk-tuk drivers that to be legal under Ministry of Transport regulations, all tuk-tuks must have access to the rear cab from the side of the vehicle – not the rear of the vehicle."

So, Phuket can not even supply "legal" vehicles for transport around the island. Doesn't sound so "world class holiday destination" to me. This why it will be interesting what the insurance company say. He was traveling in an illegal vehicle - not that he would have known that.

I stated in a previous thread ages ago, the insurance companies may see riding a motorbike, jet-ski ot tuk-tuk a bad risk here and may add a specific exclusion for them.

From my days of study of law in UK many moons ago, one quote has always stayed with me; Ignorantia juris non excusa (ignorance of the law is no excuse). I'm now going to double check my small print as to whether being a passenger in a tuk-tuk (which I rarely use) or songtoew (which I use almost daily in CM) is excluded. Very likely could be - not scheduled transport, not exactly a bus, definitely not a taxi. Grey area that had never occurred to me and needs some deep reading.

Edited by Konini