Getting A Second Uk Passport

Not sure if this is the right forum, seemed most appropriate, feel free to move if not.

Hi all, hoping someone has experience of this, I have searched the forum with no result. There is also absolutely no information on either the direct.gov or fco websites.

I travel a lot for work, and recently am having problems getting visas for other countries whilst travelling so much. I have just had to postpone a trip to China as I need a Chinese (work) visa, Indonesian (work) visa, and renew my extension of stay and WP in Thailand, all in the next 2 weeks!

I know that for people in my situation it is possible to have 2 passports, so one can be in visa process whilst you are travelling on the other one. This is further complicated by the fact that I live in Thailand so have to go through the fco in Hong Kong rather than UK (I thought they were moving this back to the UK a while ago?)

Anyway just looking for a bit of advice from anyone with experience on the requirements and process to do this, seems impossible to talk to anyone at either IPS or FCO.

Thanks for any input! wai.gif

From FCO page Frequent Travellers

Applying for a Second Passport

In certain circumstances frequent travellers may be eligible for a second passport. If you feel that you need a second passport you must submit your existing passport with an application for an additional new passport. Your application must be accompanied by an official letter from your employer (or on company headed paper if self employed) setting out why you need a second passport. You should also make a note under "other information" on the application form that you are applying for a second passport and do not wish your current passport to be cancelled. Second passports will only be issued where there is an ongoing and compelling need for frequent travel and it is likely that visas will need to be applied for whilst other travel is undertaken.

Exactly as in the post from 7by7. When traveling with work I have 2 passports for many years, passport office staff at Liverpool told me that providing you know and have the right reasons it is possible to have a maximum of 3 at the same time but I never did find the right reason for the 3rd

Yes its easy. You need a letter from your employee in words something like this.

Joe Bloggs is employed by ABC Company and travels frequently overseas on business for ABC Company.

He requires a second passport as there are occasions when his original passport may not be in his possession due to it being processed for travel visas.

Make sure you get The Company Chop on the authorised signatory.

I have had one for 15 years , most recently renewed this year without any probs.

Thanks guys, sounds easy. I just need a 4 week period when I am not travelling to see if they can cope with the request, or actually cancel my passport mid-transit thumbsup.gif

I applied some time back so it was done via the embassy in BKK (although they sent the application to HK), second PP application was authorised on the spot. How things differ now we have to go direct to HK I don't know, it may be wise to contact the embassy before sending off your application.

There are a number of sample letters on the web one is here http://www.majorvisa...nd passport.odt there are several others.

I do remember that the letter I used had notes suggesting that you do not use the 'incompatible countries' reason unless you are actually going to visit those countries although they didn't actually say why. Of course the list of countries should contain ones for which UK citizens require a visa.

Good luck, my second PP gets used often and was well worth the investment in time and (of course) money.

Ask your company to put in the letter that you travel to some countries which do not see eye to eye with each other and therefore might reject a visa when looking at your previous passport, so having two would prevent this problem.

Example - in your passport you have a stamp for Israel, but have to go to another country, this country rejects your visa application as you have traveled to Israel, this is where the second passport is needed.

the boys are right. i had 2 when i worked for subsea 7, we would be traveling on one while the other might be away getting a visa for another place, and if you have worked in nigeria some countrys dont like it and start asking for your yellow fever cards and all that s,,t, so its better to have 2

jake

More great advice, thanks all, especially to 7by7 and Crossy for the useful links.

Has anyone actually done this via HK whilst living in Thailand? Just concerned with the remote link, and some junior clerk picking it up and processing as a renewal whilst I am travelling, thereby cancelling my existing passport and leaving me in deep sh1t.

More great advice, thanks all, especially to 7by7 and Crossy for the useful links.

Has anyone actually done this via HK whilst living in Thailand? Just concerned with the remote link, and some junior clerk picking it up and processing as a renewal whilst I am travelling, thereby cancelling my existing passport and leaving me in deep sh1t.

If you supply the correct paperwork they will know what it is for. I would also put it in a file with a big note on the front that it is for a second passport.

If you supply the correct paperwork they will know what it is for. I would also put it in a file with a big note on the front that it is for a second passport.

You're probably right, too long in Thailand I think has made me a bit sceptical. Like the idea of a big folder with notes all over it wai.gif

What about fees, renewal or new passport?