Can You Extend Your Visa At Phuket Immigration If You'Ve Already Overstayed?

I have an American passport and came into Thailand on a visa exemption (30 days). I just realized my 30 days are up on Sunday, but the Phuket immigration office is not open until Monday. Will I be able to extend the extra 7 days on Monday, even though I've already overstayed by one day? Also, do I need to show a plane ticket leaving the country in order to get an extension? (I thought I read that somewhere.) The problem is that I don't have a plane ticket out of the country and was thinking of going to Myanmar by bus after the extension is up.

Thanks so much for the help/advice in advanced!

They may or may not give you the extension go and ask. I believe they also like to see a ticket as well. May I ask did you arrive by air without a onward ticket out of the country during the 30 days of the visa excempt stay, and if you did what airline allowed you to fly without a onward flight. Good luck.

Immigration can't extend a visa or in your case a permit to stay, that is expired. You should have got your extension on Friday. Although you would not have been given another 30 days. If you go to Myanmar/Ranong immigration, you will be charged for your overstay and when you re enter you will be given 15 days. To get another 30 days you would have to fly out of Thailand and then "arrive" again.

Yes, you can get an extension at Phuket immigration provided you meet a friendly official. Charge is 1900 Baht and 1 passport photo, you'll get an additional 7 days.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Still not clear if you need to show them a plane ticket out in order to extend? I have to do the visa run with my 2 year old daughter who can't really sit still for more than a minute, so I still need to spend some time figuring out what is the best and painless way exit and enter the country. Plane tickets to singapore seem really expensive. Visa run to Myanmar seems really long on a bus with a toddler :( Any advice on visa runs that would be most appropriate given my situation? Thanks again!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Still not clear if you need to show them a plane ticket out in order to extend? I have to do the visa run with my 2 year old daughter who can't really sit still for more than a minute, so I still need to spend some time figuring out what is the best and painless way exit and enter the country. Plane tickets to singapore seem really expensive. Visa run to Myanmar seems really long on a bus with a toddler sad.png Any advice on visa runs that would be most appropriate given my situation? Thanks again!

How long to you plan to stay? As said if you get an extension you may get a week. The only time I got an extension on a 30 day exempt was many years ago. I had an onward flight and I was given 10 days. Probably Kuala Lumpur. It's looks like it would be about 12,000 Baht round trip for both of you on Air Asia out of Phuket. That's with an overnight stay. A bit more if you caught the first flight in the morning and got on the next flight back.

Can only speak from my own case history. Tiger Airways. July 27 caught 09.25 HKT to Sing. Back HKT19.00 same day. Airfare was 3,500, have seen it as low as 3,100 baht all in. There was a + 400b credit card charge which wouldn't apply if you paid by other means. What I saved on buying a new phone here in Phuket paid for the round trip.

You toddler doesn't have to leave so a friend or a day care centre may be an option there but may be free on lap.

You could also be a bit cheeky by overstaying a day which at the airport they usually waive the 500 baht fee..

Best part is you will get another 30 days on return.

bookingtigerairways.com

Edited by sportsman69

Can only speak from my own case history. Tiger Airways. July 27 caught 09.25 HKT to Sing. Back HKT19.00 same day. Airfare was 3,500, have seen it as low as 3,100 baht all in. There was a + 400b credit card charge which wouldn't apply if you paid by other means. What I saved on buying a new phone here in Phuket paid for the round trip.

You toddler doesn't have to leave so a friend or a day care centre may be an option there but may be free on lap.

You could also be a bit cheeky by overstaying a day which at the airport they usually waive the 500 baht fee..

Best part is you will get another 30 days on return.

bookingtigerairways.com

Just looked out of curiosity at that flight. If he went the same day as the Air Asia flight I looked at, this Monday it would be a bit over 10,000 Baht for just him. Of course if you book in advance, you save a lot. But if you book at last minute, you have to pay the premium...

In Phuket

I have never been asked for an onward ticket when getting my 7 day extention of a 30 day entry stamp..

that being said,

I have never gone to Phuket Immigration with an already expired visa/stamp in my passport.

That could be a problem?w00t.gif

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I was able to get a 7 day extension at Phuket immigration set to expire on July 15th. They stamped my passport and did NOT fine me an overstay of one day. They also refused to stamp my toddler's passport and said "babies are free".

I just bought two tickets to Singapore so that I could get the baby a new tourist visa that would last three months due to the advise of her preschool that I'm enrolling her in, they said that would give they enough time to apply for an education visa for her. But now I'm finding out that children can overstay their visas without any penalty, even if its crazy excessive like years? I am scheduled in August to go back to the USA myself and can leave the baby here (so I could get a new tourist visa there and just do a Myanmar border run to get me through the next couple of weeks). Do I even need to bring the baby to Singapore? I'm planning to stay in Phuket long term, the baby will go to preschool and I will go to language school, both of us will have an education visa eventually. Anyone know what I should do in this case? I'm not really comfortable with the idea of have the baby here illegally for such a long time, so I would probably want to get her an education visa. Would it be ok to just have her overstay until I get her education visa? Also, are there any other costs to an education visa beyond paying for school?

Thanks again for all your help!