Stolen Licences.

I have recently had my wallet stolen, which had both my motorbike and car licences in it. They were both 1yr licences, and were valid until Feb 2013.

I have a police document stating the loss as a matter of record, but I have been told that when i go to the Transport Dept to get copies, that i will need to take a medical certificate and undergo the usual tests associated with applying for a licence etc. This sounds absurd to me, as surely my licences are still valid for the duration i qualified and payed for? All i am asking for is replicas of my already attained licences and to pay the associated costs for admin etc.

Does anyone know if the info i have been given is correct?

cheers

Firstly you did the right thing in reporting it stolen to the police.

There is a lot of mis-leading info out there personally told and read. :)

Take the police document along to your local DLT office and just go through the procedures they require you to do, all DLT's throughout Thailand do things differently.

There are forms there that you fill out for applying for replacement of stolen or lost licenses. :)

I would say it would be relatively easy, dunno never dun it. :)

Maybe you can just use the document to show police if you are stopped but I think it may cause a problem when you come to renew your 1 year ones to 5 year ones.

Cheers Kwasaki,

I agree that whilst showing the report is a stop-gap, it will not help to get my 5yrs in Feb. I get pulled quite regular, so being uptodate is essential anyway.

Yes i will be going to my DLT in midweek, and i'll just go with an openmind and see what transpires. I'll post the result.

Ok, got the licences yesterday. No probs.

I had to go upstairs, and the girl on the 1st desk read the police report and said all was ok. I needed to produce 2 copies of the report, Passport info, and my uptodate visa page. After a quick trip to the copy-shop, i was directed to a uniformed lady who checked all the docs and sent me in to have my pic taken again. I had to pay for the licences the same as when i got the originals, but i expected that. A short wait later and i was called to the photo lady and she handed me my new licences. Job done.

My wife is now going to question the two seperate sources who insisted i would need to go through all the original stuff again....bullsh1t.

Got a good deal on a wallet today from a friend, and it is better than my original. Bonus.

Happy Days. clap2.gif

I had to go upstairs, and the girl on the 1st desk read the police report and said all was ok. I needed to produce 2 copies of the report, Passport info, and my uptodate visa page. After a quick trip to the copy-shop, i was directed to a uniformed lady who checked all the docs and sent me in to have my pic taken again. I had to pay for the licences the same as when i got the originals, but i expected that. A short wait later and i was called to the photo lady and she handed me my new licences. Job done.

My wife is now going to question the two seperate sources who insisted i would need to go through all the original stuff again....bullsh1t.

Got a good deal on a wallet today from a friend, and it is better than my original. Bonus.

Happy Days. clap2.gif

As I said before " There is a lot of mis-leading info out there personally told and read. smile.png "

Thanks for the update now people having same problem can just punch it in search.

Happy Days. clap2.gif

glad to hear this and hope i will not have to use the information

I had a similar event where my sis-in-law and my next door neighbour gave me wrong advice regarding my waterpump. It would of cost bt5k to replace it. But after a search on here through some old posts, a chap went over how to check the pump and calibrate it via a guage. Job done again, and my sis-in-law apologised for duff info.

I now question any advice my wife gets (or gives), and ask whether it is genuine info gained from experience or just plain guesswork to try to sound more knowledgeable.

The latter seems to be the norm here.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Days. clap2.gif

Was the replacement license valid for another 1 year? or only through to Feb 2013 the same as the original one?

Does anyone know the score with a lost 5 year licence, is it replaced with a new 5 year licence or only valid until the original expiry of the lost one?

Thanks

One bit of advice I learned from this forum was to copy your license in the event it gets lost or stolen, this along with a police report makes replacing it slightly easier although I have never tried this myself.

Happy Days. clap2.gif

Was the replacement license valid for another 1 year? or only through to Feb 2013 the same as the original one?

Does anyone know the score with a lost 5 year licence, is it replaced with a new 5 year licence or only valid until the original expiry of the lost one?

Thanks

BUMP

Anyone know?

Hi PattayaParent,

three years ago I moved and had already a 5 year license. I wanted to change the address as I use often the DL as an ID.

The Transport Department issued a new DL with an updated address but the valid date was as on the original one.

3 Month ago my 5 year DL expired and I forgot it to renew in time. I renewed it 3 weeks ago and got almost 6 years validity (June 2018) in sync with my birthday now.

So I assume lost license replacements the date remains the same as on old license.

New (5 year only?) license issued they now start to sync validity with birthday.

Happy Days. clap2.gif

Thanks

BUMP

Anyone know?

DID it a few months ago, police report 20 baht, 200 baht licence fee i think it was but 5 year licence expiry stayed same date as old one. Angry cop took my licence in fit of rage and never handed it in to soi 9 nick. So reported Banglamung lost as 7 days had expired for him to hand it in. Edited by marstons