Foetuses Taken To Ban Phaew Cemetery

Lite Beer

Foetuses taken to Ban Phaew cemetery

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Some 2,002 human foetuses discovered at Bangkok's Wat Phai Ngern Chotanaram in November 2010, which led to the arrest of two undertakers and an illegal abortion clinic nurse, were sent to a cemetery in Samut Sakhon's Ban Phaew district yesterday.

About 100 rescue workers moved the foetuses to be buried in the Por Tek Teung Foundation cemetery, where a merit making was held. The 44-rai cemetery took unclaimed bodies for burial, until 3-5 years passed and the graves were deemed full, and the bodies cleaned and stored prior to a mass cremation.

From 1936-2004, the cemetery had held 11 mass cremations for 148,821 bodies.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-08

footer_n.gif

This does sound very morbid, but I do think there is another side of matters that need considering, those being from the Thai perspective.

Young girl, even maybe abused, gets pregnant and has nowhere to go. Faces being ostricised by family, village etc. Where does she go?

Going to the Wat is by far probably the best choice, as she is likely to have little money to go to a hospital to pay for 'riddance'.

I sure many monks, perhaps, or coworkers have recommended a trip to this illegal nurse. Foetus ramp up and become obvious.

From that perspective, and in this culture, for a young lady to save face and continue a fair life, can we really knock the practice?

We can from the legal and goverment status point of view, but what does the government actually do? Very little!!

I'd prefer for the girl to have this kind of outlet, rather than become street-lifed, and become the inevitably used woman.

-mel.

• Like 2

This does sound very morbid, but I do think there is another side of matters that need considering, those being from the Thai perspective.

Young girl, even maybe abused, gets pregnant and has nowhere to go. Faces being ostricised by family, village etc. Where does she go?

Going to the Wat is by far probably the best choice, as she is likely to have little money to go to a hospital to pay for 'riddance'.

I sure many monks, perhaps, or coworkers have recommended a trip to this illegal nurse. Foetus ramp up and become obvious.

From that perspective, and in this culture, for a young lady to save face and continue a fair life, can we really knock the practice?

We can from the legal and goverment status point of view, but what does the government actually do? Very little!!

I'd prefer for the girl to have this kind of outlet, rather than become street-lifed, and become the inevitably used woman.

-mel.

The abortions didn't happen at the Temple. They were brought there by clinics for proper disposal .. which obviously didn't happen.

-mel.

Women here can have a real legal abortion. For instance 1800 thb for vacuum abortion at the clinic next to cabbages and condoms restaurant.

Money-making off dead foetuses... same old Thailand.

Sorry? I know some people here like to take a swipe at Thailand any chance they get, but I don't see what provoked your comment about money-making. Who and how??

-mel.

Women here can have a real legal abortion. For instance 1800 thb for vacuum abortion at the clinic next to cabbages and condoms restaurant.

Not sure of the price but I understand the more popular choice now is to give a pill which starts labor. Although abortion is considered illegal in Thailand unless rape or it endangers the mother, a women can simply state she can't afford to take care of the baby for monetary reasons or being single. So, you are 100% right in terms of not needing to go to an illegal clinic.

I have not followed this story closely but have they even named 1 illegal abortion clinic or are they just saying because the Wat messed up that they must have come from illegal clinics?