Charles "Psycho" Whelan - R.I.P.

sawasdee45

Much of the Chiang Mai expat community is in mourning this week as news of the death of Charlie "Psycho" Whelan, age 58, circulates throughout the English speaking areas of the city.

Charlie plunged to his death on July 3 in Bangkok. A Thai woman, Miss Lamai, fell to her death at the same time. Bangkok police are investigating.

Charlie was from the United States and had lived in Chiang Mai for quite some time. His many friends jokingly referred to him as "Psycho" due to his good-natured insistance that people were talking about him and plotting against him. Charlie definitely stood up for himself and was never one to back down from a fight. He will be missed.

Edited by Rimmer
Passport photocopy detail remove

Thank you for posting this tribute to my dear (but "wacko" ) brother, Charles, and my sweet sister in law, Lamai. My family and I love them dearly.

We are devastated. Charles was on his way back to the US for medical treatment to continue his remission from throat cancer. He spent his days healing, getting acupuncture, doing hyperbaric chamber treatments, living as a vegetarian, and doing everything he could to regain use of his jaw after the radiation treatments. His doctors in the US were waiting for him as he had his yearly appointments scheduled.

I have met many of his (you) fellow expats at Starbucks where he had his daily coffee.

Can anyone tell me how and why this happy, loving couple "fell" off a 6th floor balcony to their deaths? Why? How? They were in the Sky Hotel. How low were the balconies? How could both of them "fall" off? This is bizarre. My family, especially my children, would appreciate any insight to this unbelievable tragedy. thank you.

Eileen

Thank you for posting this tribute to my dear (but "wacko" ) brother, Charles, and my sweet sister in law, Lamai. My family and I love them dearly.

We are devastated. Charles was on his way back to the US for medical treatment to continue his remission from throat cancer. He spent his days healing, getting acupuncture, doing hyperbaric chamber treatments, living as a vegetarian, and doing everything he could to regain use of his jaw after the radiation treatments. His doctors in the US were waiting for him as he had his yearly appointments scheduled.

I have met many of his (you) fellow expats at Starbucks where he had his daily coffee.

Can anyone tell me how and why this happy, loving couple "fell" off a 6th floor balcony to their deaths? Why? How? They were in the Sky Hotel. How low were the balconies? How could both of them "fall" off? This is bizarre. My family, especially my children, would appreciate any insight to this unbelievable tragedy. thank you.

First of all let me express my condolences for your loss. I have been there in a position where you are far away and without any avenue to learn and understand more about what happened.

The first thing that registered with me about the circumstances is that this hotel is in very close proximity to the main expat hospital in Bangkok, Bumrungrat. It would make for a very logical place to stay during medical tests or out-patient treatments at Bumrungrat. Of course people don't just fall off balconies, especially not two people at the same time. Perhaps they felt no hope of a recovery, or humane progression of his condition. Of course this is just one possibility to consider, but it is one to take on board as you piece together the events.

I would recommend that you get in touch with your Bangkok embassy as soon as possible, and not rely on the news/print media to have any kind of follow up. Initial news reports are often incomplete or create the wrong impression, and more often than not there is no follow-up. Your embassy however is essential in relaying the results of a police investigation, and in making further arrangements. Perhaps they could also facilitate communications / translations with his partner's family who must be going through much of the same emotions you are. They may also have additional information.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Here is the report from the Thai news website, Khao Sod. I did not translate it so you can read the original for clarity yourself. I did not include the photo from the scene.

ks.gif

ฝรั่งอเมริกัน-หญิงไทย ตกตึกโรงแรมสกาย สุขุมวิท ดับสยอง 2 ศพ

เวลา 06.30 น. วันที่3 ก.ค. ผู้สื่อข่าว "ข่าวสด" รายงานว่า ร.ต.อ.ศรุต ระยานนนนท์ หัวหน้าสายตรวจ สน.ลุมพินี รับแจ้งเหตุมีคนพลัดตกจากที่สูง ที่โรงแรมสกาย ซ.สุขมวิท 1 แขวง คลองเตยเหนือ เขตวัฒนา กรุงเทพ หลังรับแจ้งรุดไปที่เกิดเหตุ เป็นโรงแรม สูง 8ชั้น พบศพผู้เสียชีวิต 2 รายตรงทางเข้าลานจอดรถ ชั้นล่าง ด้านหน้าของโรงแรม เป็นศพชายชาวต่างชาติ ทราบชื่อ นายซาวลี วีแล่น สัญชาติอเมริกัน อายุ 58 ปี สภาพศพนอนหงายหน้า ใกล้กันพบศพ ผู้หญิง ทราบชื่อน.ส.ละไม ศรี สวดโม้ อายุ 47 ปี นอนหงายเสียชีวิต

จาการสอบสวน นายประพันธ์ มีนาค อายุ 54 ปี ผู้เห็นเหตุการณ์ ให้กาว่า ก่อนเกิดเหตุกำลังจะออกไปซื้อโจ๊ก ที่บริเวณหน้าปากซอย เมื่อมาถึงบริเวณที่เกิดเหตุ ได้ยินเสียงคนทะเลาะกันเสียงดัง จึงมองขึ้นไปที่โรงแรมก็พบทั้งคู่กำลังร่วงลงมาจากตึก แล้วก็เห็นผู้หญิงกำลังดิ้นอยู่ ก่อนที่จะเสียชีวิต

ต่อมาจากหน้าที่ตรวจสอบที่โรงแรมดังกล่าว พบว่า ทั้งคู่ได้ตกลงมาจากชั้น 6 ห้องเลขที่ 602 นอกจากนี้ยังพบเอกสารระบุการเช่าห้องพักของทั้งคู่ โดยทั้งคู่เข้ามาพัก เมื่อเวลา 14.53 น.ของวันที่ 2ก.ค. ขณะเดียวกันทางเจ้าหน้ายังไม่สามารถเข้าไปภายในห้องที่เกิดเหตุได้ ต้องรอช่างกญแจมาทำการเปิดเพื่อตรวจสอบภายในห้อง

เบื้องต้น เจ้าหน้าที่คาดว่าทั้งคู่ได้ทะเลาะกันอยู่ภายในห้องพัก จากนั้นเดินออกมาที่บริเวณระเบียง และมาทะเลาะกัน ที่ระเบียงอีกครั้งหนึ่ง ก่อนที่ทั้งคู่จะปีนระเบียงและโดดลงมา

Edited by insertmembernamehere

As an added caution I would like to stress again that initial news reports are very often wrong, or create the wrong impression. And that the original article (as well as similar articles in other publications) contains a photo of the scene, which is common for local news media.

Here is the report from the Thai news website, Khao Sod. I did not translate it so you can read the original for clarity yourself. I did not include the photo from the scene.

ks.gif

ฝรั่งอเมริกัน-หญิงไทย ตกตึกโรงแรมสกาย สุขุมวิท ดับสยอง 2 ศพ

เวลา 06.30 น. วันที่3 ก.ค. ผู้สื่อข่าว "ข่าวสด" รายงานว่า ร.ต.อ.ศรุต ระยานนนนท์ หัวหน้าสายตรวจ สน.ลุมพินี รับแจ้งเหตุมีคนพลัดตกจากที่สูง ที่โรงแรมสกาย ซ.สุขมวิท 1 แขวง คลองเตยเหนือ เขตวัฒนา กรุงเทพ หลังรับแจ้งรุดไปที่เกิดเหตุ เป็นโรงแรม สูง 8ชั้น พบศพผู้เสียชีวิต 2 รายตรงทางเข้าลานจอดรถ ชั้นล่าง ด้านหน้าของโรงแรม เป็นศพชายชาวต่างชาติ ทราบชื่อ นายซาวลี วีแล่น สัญชาติอเมริกัน อายุ 58 ปี สภาพศพนอนหงายหน้า ใกล้กันพบศพ ผู้หญิง ทราบชื่อน.ส.ละไม ศรี สวดโม้ อายุ 47 ปี นอนหงายเสียชีวิต

จาการสอบสวน นายประพันธ์ มีนาค อายุ 54 ปี ผู้เห็นเหตุการณ์ ให้กาว่า ก่อนเกิดเหตุกำลังจะออกไปซื้อโจ๊ก ที่บริเวณหน้าปากซอย เมื่อมาถึงบริเวณที่เกิดเหตุ ได้ยินเสียงคนทะเลาะกันเสียงดัง จึงมองขึ้นไปที่โรงแรมก็พบทั้งคู่กำลังร่วงลงมาจากตึก แล้วก็เห็นผู้หญิงกำลังดิ้นอยู่ ก่อนที่จะเสียชีวิต

ต่อมาจากหน้าที่ตรวจสอบที่โรงแรมดังกล่าว พบว่า ทั้งคู่ได้ตกลงมาจากชั้น 6 ห้องเลขที่ 602 นอกจากนี้ยังพบเอกสารระบุการเช่าห้องพักของทั้งคู่ โดยทั้งคู่เข้ามาพัก เมื่อเวลา 14.53 น.ของวันที่ 2ก.ค. ขณะเดียวกันทางเจ้าหน้ายังไม่สามารถเข้าไปภายในห้องที่เกิดเหตุได้ ต้องรอช่างกญแจมาทำการเปิดเพื่อตรวจสอบภายในห้อง

เบื้องต้น เจ้าหน้าที่คาดว่าทั้งคู่ได้ทะเลาะกันอยู่ภายในห้องพัก จากนั้นเดินออกมาที่บริเวณระเบียง และมาทะเลาะกัน ที่ระเบียงอีกครั้งหนึ่ง ก่อนที่ทั้งคู่จะปีนระเบียงและโดดลงมา

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

My condolences to the family.

I can read Thai, although not at the level of a professional translator and based on this news report, I'd second the suggestion they contact the American Embassy and ask for assistance. They can recommend skilled professional translators and lawyers who would have access to private investigators. There are limits to what the American Embassy can legally do to investigate an incident like this, but they can put the family in touch with professionals who are able to help answer questions.

This article indicates there was at least one witness and that the couple was arguing before the fall. As pointed out, you can't believe everything you read in the media (Thai or otherwise, for that matter), but it does seem there are some unanswered questions about why they were at the hotel, what they did that day and if they were indeed having a disagreement at the time of the accident.

The article states that prior to the couple falling, a quarrel was heard. Even if that's accurate (and again, most things in newspapers are wrong), a quarrel in this sense sounds the same as an emotionally charged conversation. Also it would likely have been in English, six floors up from the person at street level who mentioned it to the reporter.

Very sad, My condolences to the family.

I hope the TVF members will refrain from insensitive posting, which is too common on threads concerning recent deaths.

And my condolences too. And the TV moderation team will not tolerate insensitive posts.

...most things in newspapers are wrong...

Please, that's like saying most things you read on the internet are wrong. Just because it is in Thai (or French or Greek for that matter) does not mean it is fundamentally incorrect. From the article, it appears the information was what was initially understood by the police officer attending the scene.

I am sure this case will be scrutinized, but by the looks of it, the only two people who may know the actual circumstances might be the deceased couple.

It is a bizarre and unfortunate way to clock out. This is why heights bother me.

...most things in newspapers are wrong...

Please, that's like saying most things you read on the internet are wrong. Just because it is in Thai (or French or Greek for that matter) does not mean it is fundamentally incorrect.

Not saying that because it's in Thai. Most first reports in the Bangkok Post or the Nation are wrong too.

From the article, it appears the information was what was initially understood by the police officer attending the scene.

Yes, often the first junior cop who shows up, who doesn't know when it's better to not say anything until investigations have concluded. A reporter arrives there pretty much at the same time, so anything that gets written up is prior to any serious investigation taking place.

So all I'm saying is to wait for better information, and for family to contact the embassy.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the condolences, from my family and me.

We know he was in Bangkok on his way back to the USA for medical treatment. Lamai went with him, and then she traveled back to Chiang Mai.

This was NOT suicide. He was in Bangkok to catch a plane back to the US for medical treatments. He spent his entire life trying to heal. They did not smoke, drink, or take drugs.

I talked to the doctors here in the US and they were expecting him for his yearly treatments.

Lamai went over the balcony also. They were barefoot. Lamai never yelled. Charles did not speak Thai. Was the argument in English? Thai people do not usually yelll loud enough for someone on the bottom floor to hear and "argument" on the 6th floor. None of this makes sense.

I need to take care of his body and effects. If anyone can guide me, I would appreciate it. I am dealing with the American Embassy but they do not investigate. They will do an autopsy but only on Charles.

Can anyone help me find information? This is agony.

Thank you.

Eileen

at gmail,

dra.ariza.

I am so sad for the family. I can imagine they are feeling quite overwhelmed right now. The American Embassy should be providing assistance with Charles's possessions and body. This, from the website of the Dept of State, outlines the services that should be offered by the American Embassy:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/death/death_3878.html

and from the website of the Embassy in Bangkok:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/death-of-a-us-citizen.html

The American Embassy has no legal authority to conduct their own investigations. However, they do supply a list of local attorneys who may be able to assist the family in learning details about the case:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/attorneylist.pdf

I would expect they also have a similar list of suggested translators, but I couldn't locate one on the website.

Thank you so much for the condolences, from my family and me.

We know he was in Bangkok on his way back to the USA for medical treatment. Lamai went with him, and then she traveled back to Chiang Mai.

This was NOT suicide. He was in Bangkok to catch a plane back to the US for medical treatments. He spent his entire life trying to heal. They did not smoke, drink, or take drugs.

I talked to the doctors here in the US and they were expecting him for his yearly treatments.

Lamai went over the balcony also. They were barefoot. Lamai never yelled. Charles did not speak Thai. Was the argument in English? Thai people do not usually yelll loud enough for someone on the bottom floor to hear and "argument" on the 6th floor. None of this makes sense.

I need to take care of his body and effects. If anyone can guide me, I would appreciate it. I am dealing with the American Embassy but they do not investigate. They will do an autopsy but only on Charles.

Can anyone help me find information? This is agony.

Thank you.

Eileen

at gmail,

dra.ariza.

Dear Eileen,

My deepest condolences.

While the Embassy cannot make a direct investigation of its own, they can closely liaise with the local authorities. And in some cases the US FBI can, if Thai authorities agree, join the investigation.

The autopsy will be able to determine a number of things, including whether or not the fall was the cause of death, whether he had been drugged etc etc.

I assume you are back in the US? If so I urge you to contact the Department of State. Try to get through to the "desk officer" for Thailand, s/he may refer you somewhere else. Also contact your local congressman and Senator. Be persistent. Sad but true, the Embassy is more likely to do its utmost if they are told to by higher ups.

If the autopsy results suggest foul play then I would definitely campaign for FBI involvement.

Have you been in touch with Lamai's family? As they could, if so inclined, demand an autopsy on her.

Again, my condolences

Sheryl,

Thank you very much for your message.

What do you think the black sole was from?

Charles' cancer was gone---he was just coming back for his yearly medical appointments.

I see a bruise on his inner thigh.

He was 6'2', about 180--trying to imagine the physics of this. Scared of heights, and he would have fought like a crazy man if someone was coming at him or Lamai. They were together for about 10 years.

How long before autopsy results?

Calling Senator and Congressman.

Thank you so much.

Eileen

Full autopsy results inclusive of toxicology can take weeks but preliminary results (i.e. everything except the toxiciology) would already be known, though they usually wait until they have the toxicology to release the report.

I wouldn't assume he had a black sole until you have the autopsy report, that should mention it. Likewise it should also detail any and all bruises, assuming it was done thoroughly. If one sole truly was charred in appearance that might suggest an electric shock but again this would be readily determined on autopsy.Also the police investigation should have found some possible source for same.

I don't know what your plans are for funeral etc. Some families in this situation have opted to have the body flown either back home for a repeat autopsy (flown back along with all blood samples etc that were taken, and initial photos taken at autopsy as well). But that is quite expensive especially if you were not otherwise planning in bringing back his remains.

I think the thing to do is to keep leaning ion the Embassy(both directly and via your representatives and the Dept of State) , asking for official translations of the autopsy report and the police report etc, and perhaps commission a small investigation of your own to at least ascertain what the hotel staff and guests may know. One obvious question is whether or not the balcony railing of this newly built hotel may have given way, which should have been readily apparent on inspection. When you ask for all the reports make sure you also request all photos as well.

Of course none of the is will bring him back, but I fully understand your need to know what happened in order to reach some sort of closure.

All of our thoughts are with you.

A number of posts have been removed. Please, no speculation here. Show some respect to the family during this difficult time.

This thread will be monitored closely. Apologies to the members who had posts removed that were replies to posts I removed. wai.gif