Criminal Record Check

saorsa

I may need to get a criminal record check done for a visa application. I found a thread with info for where to get this done, but it mentioned requiring a work permit as part of the ID. I have no work permit as I work overseas/offshore and just spend my time off in Thailand. Does anyone know if I can still get a record check done here by bringing a copy of my rental agreement and maybe a signed statement of residency that I can get from the embassy?

Usually they want the police check done for your country of citizenship as opposed to where you hang your hat. I was a +10 year non-domiciled Brit in the US and needed a police check for a Brazil work visa. I popped into the local police station and after a few taps on the computer, he printed out a rather non-convincing 'person not found' slip of paper. I then contacted the Aberdeen, Scotland police and they emailed a form that I filled in and mailed back. After about 10 days they sent me a certificate that stated that I didn't appear in any UK national police records. Gave both to the Brazil Consulate (in Houston) but they said that the UK one was the one they used for approval.

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Thailand for four and a half years, from April 2008 until July 2012. I have returned to the UK to look for work in the security industry. I am in the process of re-applying for my SIA licence. To my horror I have discovered that I need to supply a Thai Criminal record check as part of my paperwork to gain my licence. Is it possible to apply for a Thai Criminal Record Check if you are outside Thailand? If so I presume this would have to be done at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in London, Has anyone done this?

If it is not possible to apply for this outside Thailand, would my wife be able to apply on my behalf?

Brits seeking CRC should check the website of the constabulary of their (former) county of residence. In short you submit a SOR (Subject Access Request) under DPA 98 (Data Protection Act) & pay the required fee (GBP 10, unless it's gone up). They have 40 working days by which to reply. Applicants receive a reply from their local police, followed a few days later by a "good egg*" certificate from the national criminal database @ Scotland yard/ the Met.

(*unless you've had your collar felt!)

HTH

I think there might be a misunderstanding: I need a Thai Criminal record check as well as the UK one as I had been living in Thailand for four and a half years prior to returning home to the UK. This is a requirement for my SIA licence application. I have already applied for my section 7 Subject access retort in the UK but that's not enough ...

I really don't think Thailand cares where you come from where you have lived. All they want is a criminal check from the same country you got the pass port you are using from.

Well maybe I carry a US Passport but lived in Canada legally for over 30 years so they accepted that. Mind you I had papersto prove that was where I ived. If memory serves me rite they are just looking for major crimes as my drunk driving did not appear on the record.

Edited by hellodolly