Transport Possibilities Between The Two Bangkok Airports

1. it-most likly- WILL make a differecne for now or for after 1/10-oer so-when most other LCC airlines move over-as there will obviously much more demand for this as is now (negligible).

2.as for then-nothing is known for sure yet

3,.as for now: most will simply take a taximeter-will take about 40-50 mins in normal traffic, same procedure as any taximeter, and estimated cost 400/350-meter+50Airport+tolls (at least 70-but may be more-there are at least 3 possible variations. Mind you-this is much less as most airporttrains or buses charge in EUr or USA

BUS: MINIVans already 'shutlle'' when full-or when they feel like it- from also basement at swampy-clearly labelled, not much room for luggage-50 ot 60 bt or so. (DIRECT)

OTHER ROUTE minivans and also big orange/yellow AC-citybuses leave from TRANSPORT terminal at swampy-a 7/8 mins ride on free shuttlebus-routes 554 and 555-take whatever leaves first. Some say 555 may even still run all night-but less as hourly then-takes about 75-90 mins+ time for wait and shuttle-so less as 2 hrs is an achievement, cost is 33 bt./bus or 40/50 van. SOME 554/55 however now run via Sapan Mai (=backside of DMK-where so many airportworkers still live-so ASK if in doubt

other variations are of course possible may cut off some taxicost or moreorless-this is BKk after all, promise to be slightly faster or more dependable-but thats for advanced transport users only and will only confuse those not yet having reached that level.

and additional to above: (as the tipical farang seems unable to live with any uncertainty with things from 6 month onward:

Some reports say, that as per 1/10 AirAsia will organise a free shuttle for its customers between the 2.

Just live with the Thai way: if this will prove right, do not expect any final details untill a day or 2 before-or simply check site then. With some brains you do not need to ask anything to nanny.

One important means which has not been mentioned is the airport link.

You can board the train at Suvarnabhumi and go all the way to Phaya Thai BTS Station for THB40 (regular service) THB100 (Express train).

At Phaya Thai, you can get the BTS to Mor Chit, and then a short taxi ride (or airport bus) to Don Muang.

You can board the train at Suvarnabhumi and go all the way to Phaya Thai BTS Station for THB40 (regular service) THB100 (Express train).

At Phaya Thai, you can get the BTS to Mor Chit, and then a short taxi ride (or airport bus) to Don Muang.

Lot of walking involved in that and if with suitcases then could be problematic, I would get the bus from the arrivals area to the Bus station at Swampy then the 555 bus to Don Muang train station, just cross the bridge and you are there.

Lot of walking involved in that and if with suitcases then could be problematic, I would get the bus from the arrivals area to the Bus station at Swampy then the 555 bus to Don Muang train station, just cross the bridge and you are there.

But how long the bus takes will depend on traffic, whereas the train is more or less known?

Small correction to your prices there George which have no significant impact

Airport to Phaya Thai on the Cityline is 45 baht.

Airport to Phaya Thai on the Express is 90 baht one way.

But how long the bus takes will depend on traffic, whereas the train is more or less known?

I wouldn't catch the bus (555 or 554) during peak hour traffic times unless you really needed to save money and had a lot of time to kill - it could take up to 2+hrs full journey. Non peak it could be around an hour or under - the 555 runs 24 hrs.

The train is a better option to at get into the centre of BKK and then north to Mo Chit. Also, if you only have a small bag or day trolley one can also catch mini vans (same route numbers) that do the same route from the Transport Center. You have to wait until they fill up before departing but they are more comfortable and quicker.

The reality is that each journey is different and knowing a bit about traffic conditions, and the weather, can make a huge difference. If I was landing in the morning peak I would never take any land based transport from the airport given the Chonburi Motorway is full of traffic. However, get into the center on the airport line (and BTS) and you have an easy run up Vihavadi and no need to take the expressway. Afternoon peak gives you an ok run into town but a slow, slow run north and the need to take the expressway.

Here is a possible guide with various options and timings:

(for road base transport offpeak time first, peak time 2nd, eg. 10-30 =. 10 off peak 30 peak)

A) ARL, BTS combo

Option A: Train to PT (45 baht 30 mins) >BTS to MoChit (25 baht 10mins) >Taxi (100 baht> 10-30 mins)

Option Ai: Train to PT (45 baht 30 mins) >BTS to MoChit (25 baht 10mins) > Bus (16-18 baht> 15-40 mins)

Option Aii: Train to PT (45 baht 30 mins) >BTS to MoChit (25 baht 10mins) > Mini van (25-30 baht> 15-30 mins)

B ) Bus or van direct (doesn't include wait times)

Option B: Shuttle Bus Terminal to Transport Center (free 10-20mins) > Bus 554 or 555 (36 baht 45/60-90/120 mins)

Option Bi: Shuttle Bus Terminal to Transport Center (free 10-20mins) > Van 554 or 555 (40-50 baht 30-9 mins)

C) Train and taxi combo

Option C: Train to Ratchpraprop Station (40 baht 28 mins) > Taxi (150 baht 20-60mins)

Option Ci: Train to Ratchpraprop Station (40 baht 28 mins) > Taxi via toll road (150 baht + 80 baht 15-30mins)

Option Cii: Train to Makkasan (35 baht 25mins) > Taxi via Asoke on ramp (150baht + 120 baht tolls 15/25-30/45)

D) Taxi options

Option D: Taxi (300 baht + 145baht tolls plus 50 baht airport surcharge 20/30-60/90mins)

Option Di: Taxi from departure level (300 baht + 145baht tolls 20/30-60/90mins)

Option Dii: Taxi " " no toll road (300 - 400 baht 45-90/120mins)

E) Future Bus terminal door to door (AOT announced)

Option E: Bus direct to DMK from BKK terminal (150-200 baht?? 60-90mins)

F) The, I have 4 hours to kill and want to tour BKK via public transport, sightseeing option

Option E: Train to Phaya Thai (45 baht 30 mins) > BTS to Saphan Taksin (30 baht 15-20mins) > River Boat to Pakret pier* (40 baht 1hr10mins) > mini van along Chaeng Wattana to Vihavadi (15 baht 15-25mins) > taxi to airport (45 baht 3-10mins)

G) ARL direct from BKK to DMK (expect 2017-2018)

Option G: ARL Express train direct from BKK to DMK (6 stops Makkasan, PT, Ratchawethi, Bang Sue Terminal, Laksi and DMK) Cost unknown expected 30-35mins

Edited by Lakegeneve

I wouldn't catch the bus (555 or 554) during peak hour traffic times unless you really needed to save money and had a lot of time to kill - it could take up to 2+hrs full journey. Non peak it could be around an hour or under - the 555 runs 24 hrs.

The train is a better option to at get into the centre of BKK and then north to Mo Chit. Also, if you only have a small bag or day trolley one can also catch mini vans (same route numbers) that do the same route from the Transport Center. You have to wait until they fill up before departing but they are more comfortable and quicker.

The reality is that each journey is different and knowing a bit about traffic conditions, and the weather, can make a huge difference. If I was landing in the morning peak I would never take any land based transport from the airport given the Chonburi Motorway is full of traffic. However, get into the center on the airport line (and BTS) and you have an easy run up Vihavadi and no need to take the expressway. Afternoon peak gives you an ok run into town but a slow, slow run north and the need to take the expressway.

Here is a possible guide with various options and timings:

(for road base transport offpeak time first, peak time 2nd, eg. 10-30 =. 10 off peak 30 peak)

A) ARL, BTS combo

Option A: Train to PT (45 baht 30 mins) >BTS to MoChit (25 baht 10mins) >Taxi (100 baht> 10-30 mins)

Option Ai: Train to PT (45 baht 30 mins) >BTS to MoChit (25 baht 10mins) > Bus (16-18 baht> 15-40 mins)

Option Aii: Train to PT (45 baht 30 mins) >BTS to MoChit (25 baht 10mins) > Mini van (25-30 baht> 15-30 mins)

B ) Bus or van direct (doesn't include wait times)

Option B: Shuttle Bus Terminal to Transport Center (free 10-20mins) > Bus 554 or 555 (36 baht 45/60-90/120 mins)

Option Bi: Shuttle Bus Terminal to Transport Center (free 10-20mins) > Van 554 or 555 (40-50 baht 30-9 mins)

C) Train and taxi combo

Option C: Train to Ratchpraprop Station (40 baht 28 mins) > Taxi (150 baht 20-60mins)

Option Ci: Train to Ratchpraprop Station (40 baht 28 mins) > Taxi via toll road (150 baht + 80 baht 15-30mins)

Option Cii: Train to Makkasan (35 baht 25mins) > Taxi via Asoke on ramp (150baht + 120 baht tolls 15/25-30/45)

D) Taxi options

Option D: Taxi (300 baht + 145baht tolls plus 50 baht airport surcharge 20/30-60/90mins)

Option Di: Taxi from departure level (300 baht + 145baht tolls 20/30-60/90mins)

Option Dii: Taxi " " no toll road (300 - 400 baht 45-90/120mins)

E) Future Bus terminal door to door (AOT announced)

Option E: Bus direct to DMK from BKK terminal (150-200 baht?? 60-90mins)

F) The, I have 4 hours to kill and want to tour BKK via public transport, sightseeing option

Option E: Train to Phaya Thai (45 baht 30 mins) > BTS to Saphan Taksin (30 baht 15-20mins) > River Boat to Pakret pier* (40 baht 1hr10mins) > mini van along Chaeng Wattana to Vihavadi (15 baht 15-25mins) > taxi to airport (45 baht 3-10mins)

G) ARL direct from BKK to DMK (expect 2017-2018)

Option G: ARL Express train direct from BKK to DMK (6 stops Makkasan, PT, Ratchawethi, Bang Sue Terminal, Laksi and DMK) Cost unknown expected 30-35mins

Excellent list, Lakegeneve. The only possible way from one airport to the other is a helicopter ride (and I am not joking). Affluent people who have the choice between a 90-minute Airport LImousine ride and a faster ARL/Skytrain/etc ride with multiple changes and hauling your own luggage will check this out for evaluation.

FWIW, Today I saw a minivan labeled 555 waiting on level 1 of the Main passenger Terminal Building, door 10 in front of the Magic Point minimart/food court, with a small desk set up and signage about minivan service to Don Mueang Airport. There were several pax, sitting in the van.

FWIW, Today I saw a minivan labeled 555 waiting on level 1 of the Main passenger Terminal Building, door 10 in front of the Magic Point minimart/food court, with a small desk set up and signage about minivan service to Don Mueang Airport. There were several pax, sitting in the van.

Hey, that is really good updated info lomatopo.

Sounds like the AOT has granted 555 mini vans the right to originate the journey direct from the terminal. That saves a ride to the Transport Terminal and a good 15 mins for anyone who wants to do the van option.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, this is really useful... except that from not living in Bangkok, I don't know when peak hours are... obviously rush hour during the week, but how about weekends? I need to get to BKK for about 1PM on a Sunday afternoon... What sort of time should I look into landing at DMK? Could anyone shed any light on this for me? Cheers.

Thanks for the useful post Lg . I have a question for anyone . If I fly Air Asia from Ubon on the 0930 and arive in Don Mueng at the scheduled time of 1040 will I have enough time to get down to Suvanaphum and through the check in and immigration and get on the 1400 hrs Thai Air to Hong Kong , by taxi? The alternative is flying out a bit later from Suvarnaphum at 1600 or 1745 . Any old advice and comments please .

Thanks for the useful post Lg . I have a question for anyone . If I fly Air Asia from Ubon on the 0930 and arive in Don Mueng at the scheduled time of 1040 will I have enough time to get down to Suvanaphum and through the check in and immigration and get on the 1400 hrs Thai Air to Hong Kong , by taxi? The alternative is flying out a bit later from Suvarnaphum at 1600 or 1745 . Any old advice and comments please .

Depending on the date and the weather, I do suggest that you have plenty of time. At that time of day it should not take you more than 30-40mins in a taxi using the expressway. Even factoring 1 hour and a late arrival at 11am will still have you with plenty of time for your 2pm flight which is also a good time immigration line wise as you shouldn't have more than a 10min max wait (assuming you use the less busy immigration zone).

The 2pm TG to HKG is also a much better time to arrive there than the later 2 TG flights in terms of having some of the evening in HK to eat & shop etc after you check in to your accom.

Depending on the date and the weather, I do suggest that you have plenty of time. At that time of day it should not take you more than 30-40mins in a taxi using the expressway. Even factoring 1 hour and a late arrival at 11am will still have you with plenty of time for your 2pm flight which is also a good time immigration line wise as you shouldn't have more than a 10min max wait (assuming you use the less busy immigration zone).

The 2pm TG to HKG is also a much better time to arrive there than the later 2 TG flights in terms of having some of the evening in HK to eat & shop etc after you check in to your accom.

ta Lg , I will now take the Airasia flight UB-DM and taxi it to SV , i think i will go for the 1600 flight BK-HK . It is a feb 2013 flight so bound to be busy , i know it is a while away but i will post if there is anything notable about the airport transit , cheers , Ol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out the opposite route, I'm arriving in BKK at 10:00. For 2500 baht I can take a 18:00 flight out of BKK, or for 2200 baht I can take a 14:40 flight out of DMK. I really don't want to stay in BKK for 8 hours, but I don't want to pay 4500 baht for an earlier flight out of BKK either.

It sounds like I should plan for two hours between BKK and DMK (I always plan for the worst), then plan for the same to clear immigration and get my luggage. That doesn't leave me a lot of time. Is that timetable really feasible?

I'm trying to figure out the opposite route, I'm arriving in BKK at 10:00. For 2500 baht I can take a 18:00 flight out of BKK, or for 2200 baht I can take a 14:40 flight out of DMK. I really don't want to stay in BKK for 8 hours, but I don't want to pay 4500 baht for an earlier flight out of BKK either.

It sounds like I should plan for two hours between BKK and DMK (I always plan for the worst), then plan for the same to clear immigration and get my luggage. That doesn't leave me a lot of time. Is that timetable really feasible?

Lots of unnecessary worry regarding transit between both airports. The reality is that even in the worst case scenario you have plenty of time to make the 2:40pm.

Read this trip report; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583608-shuttle-service-don-mueang-suvarnabhumi-airports-starts-oct-1/, this guy took the AOT provided shuttle bus at 9am (tail end of the am peak) and still it only took 50mins to get to DMK!

So let's say you land 20 mins late, it takes you 45mins to clear immigration and get your baggage (which it won't as that is a good time to arrive) then you are outside the terminal at 11:10am jumping into a taxi. I suspect the trip will take you 30mins max but let's assume heavy downpour, an accident and that the whole trip takes you 1hr 15mins. That still gets you to DMK by 12:30pm. So even in the worst case scenario you are still there before 1pm.

I bet you arrive at DMK before 11:30am and thereafter spend most of your time wondering what you should do to kill 3 hrs before your 2:40pm dep.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thanks for all the useful info,

We are now in situation where Air Asia have moved to DMK and so our flight lands at 6pm at Suvarnabhumi and we need to get to DMK airport for our 10.15pm flight. Given that it is Thurs 27th Dec and rush hour obviously likely does anyone have any feedback on best suggested route.

Is a taxi using toll road still feasible or are the roads likely to be in gridlock? Thank you Lake geneve for all your options. Can anyone advise whether they would take a taxi or catch express train into city before catching BTS to Mo Chit and getting taxi from this point. The cost is not an issue it is the time frame I am most worried about!

Also on average how long does it take to get out of Suvarnabhumi, i.e through customs, baggage reclaim and into a taxi.

Many Thanks for any input

Hannah

Hi thanks for all the useful info,

We are now in situation where Air Asia have moved to DMK and so our flight lands at 6pm at Suvarnabhumi and we need to get to DMK airport for our 10.15pm flight. Given that it is Thurs 27th Dec and rush hour obviously likely does anyone have any feedback on best suggested route.

Is a taxi using toll road still feasible or are the roads likely to be in gridlock? Thank you Lake geneve for all your options. Can anyone advise whether they would take a taxi or catch express train into city before catching BTS to Mo Chit and getting taxi from this point. The cost is not an issue it is the time frame I am most worried about!

Also on average how long does it take to get out of Suvarnabhumi, i.e through customs, baggage reclaim and into a taxi.

Many Thanks for any input

Hannah

You'll be absolutely fine.

Just take a taxi as normal - I always go up to departures to get one quicker - and your trip should not take longer than 1 hour even with bad peak hour traffic assuming that you stay on the expressway the whole trip (3 tolls = 125 baht total). The date doesn't mean much in terms of traffic but if it was a Friday , esp. being the end of the month, it would be a lot worse.

Even if your inbound arrives a little late and immigration is busy - which it will be at that time - you'll still have plenty of time to kill at DMK. If you don't have too much large baggage and you want to try the Airport Link train you could take it to Makkasan terminal and catch a taxi from there to DMK (entering straight onto the expressway).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there, we land at suvarnabhumi at 7:45am , and have a flight to catch from dmk at 11:00 am. Do u think its enough time or are we in a fix?? Also what would be the best preffered route for us. Thank you

You should just about make it but it will be very close. I think your only realistic chance is by taxi. When you clear customs you need to go down one level to the public taxi rank. When you arrive at immigration, if there are very big queue's, carry on walking down the concourse and you will find another set of immigration counters. More often than not when the first set of counters are busy the second set are not. I don't know how long your trip is for, but if you an manage with just carry on luggage you'll save some time not waiting for your bags in arrivals.