How Safe Is Online Banking In Thailand?

I never used online banking before in Thailand but I want to do it now for the convenience but how safe is it?

Anybody who hacked your wifi connection could potentially transfer money from your account to their account at the rate of 500,000 per day?

I doubt the bank would guarantee your money in that case?

I really want online banking am I being too paranoid?

I have been using Bangkok Banks BuaLuang online service since it started. Two accounts accessed locally and from overseas and never, ever an issue. Some people speak very highly of Kasikorn Banks online experience and I haven't seen any posts on this forum to suggest that their online transactions have been compromised. ATM scams are two a penny but their online record looks quite respectable.

You can read my thread here: http://www.thaivisa....cyber-services/

So yeah, they fuc_k up a little bit - but regarding to your password, being "sniffed-out" on a open WIFI. Don't worry they will have to get your Phone also, as all online bank's here operate with OTP (One Time Password) Witch is send to you mobile number.

Also get the SMS service, that most banks provide - so if any activity on your account you get a SMS.Biggest problem here is, that many Farang use debit cards - that have no chip(In Thailand that is). Therefore the card can be copied with a USB device, that sells for 200baht in MBK. Hook it up to a laptop, bam - even a monkey can operate it.Blank magnetic stripe cards cost about 5bath a pop, in China - so when you are give waiters/etc. your card for billing - you are risking it being copied.

And here most places do not use pin codes, when paying....so it¨s party-on for the dude, that copied your card ermm.gif The account i have linked to the debit card, that i use when i go out, will have a max of 100.000baht - rest is kept on account's that are not linked to cards or to cards with a chip(real credit cards).

I general i try to keep the funds out of Thailand, Its hard to get them out again, when they first are here rolleyes.gif HSBC, Hong Kong is a good place! Best service ever...

Edited by KhunMoo

Pretty safe, as mentioned before, banks here use a one time password sent to your phone.

Adding an account you want send funds to, and the first time actually sending funds requires the otp.

Plus, every transaction immediately results in a message sent to your phone as well. You'd know instantly something odd is happening!

Bkk bank an Siam Commercial work similar, no experience with other banks.

As another poster said, the riskiest are the atm cards. Loose one and the finder can go on a shopping spree as none of the shops even bother checking the signature on the back...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Pretty safe, as mentioned before, banks here use a one time password sent to your phone.

Adding an account you want send funds to, and the first time actually sending funds requires the otp.

Plus, every transaction immediately results in a message sent to your phone as well. You'd know instantly something odd is happening!

Bkk bank an Siam Commercial work similar, no experience with other banks.

As another poster said, the riskiest are the atm cards. Loose one and the finder can go on a shopping spree as none of the shops even bother checking the signature on the back...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

How can an atm card be used without a password? I had similar worries about that before but the bank AYUTHAYA assured me that it cannot be used without a password that would be insane if it could be used without a password?

So yeah, they fuc_k up a little bit - but regarding to your password, being "sniffed-out" on a open WIFI. Don't worry they will have to get your Phone also, as all online bank's here operate with OTP (One Time Password) Witch is send to you mobile number.

Also get the SMS service, that most banks provide - so if any activity on your account you get a SMS.Biggest problem here is, that many Farang use debit cards - that have no chip(In Thailand that is). Therefore the card can be copied with a USB device, that sells for 200baht in MBK. Hook it up to a laptop, bam - even a monkey can operate it.Blank magnetic stripe cards cost about 5bath a pop, in China - so when you are give waiters/etc. your card for billing - you are risking it being copied.

And here most places do not use pin codes, when paying....so it¨s party-on for the dude, that copied your card ermm.gif The account i have linked to the debit card, that i use when i go out, will have a max of 100.000baht - rest is kept on account's that are not linked to cards or to cards with a chip(real credit cards).

I general i try to keep the funds out of Thailand, Its hard to get them out again, when they first are here rolleyes.gif HSBC, Hong Kong is a good place! Best service ever...

Or just keep the card in a safe place?

Im sure your money is safe at HSBC but not from the IRS!

I don't think you understand - what I mean is, here in Thailand when paying for e.g. let's say a dinner, with a credit card(In most cases for a Farang, it will be a Debit card).

You will be presented with the bill, in a booklet - you place the credit card in the booklet and hand it back. She/he will then disappear, to where they have their terminal/card-reader. If your "Credit Card" do not have a Chip, but just the magnetic stripe, it is VERY EASY, CHEAP AND FAST. To copy that information the card contains, and copy that information over to a "clean" card. The waitress then return to your table, and you sign the credit card printout, from terminal with the signature "A.Hitler"(e.g. no one here gives a dam_n about what that signature looks like) - she smiles and return the signed slip to the cash register, and your account will then be charged.

Then the theif, that is in possession of the information, that was on your magnetic strip, can copy it on to, the blank card(takes about 15sec) He can then sit down at the table next to you - order dinner, and yes pay, with the copy of "your card" - he will be presented with the same slip you had, he will sign it with "Santa Claus" and your account will be debited....

Get it now? The cards with no chip has very little safety, when you don't use them ONLY in ATM's.

Regarding HSBC - yes my money is safe from the IRS, from the country i originate from. They money is held in "HSBC Land", witch is not Hong Kong, nor is it mainland China - and as long i don't play with terrorists, or piss off the Americans in general - my money stays there.

A good example is: The "rest" of the money from the biggest scam in Danish history (about 10.000.000.000 baht, is still in HSBC Hong Kong, as far as i remember 1,2 billion baht is still not accounted for. And yes they will stay in "HSBC Land" until Danish authorities can provide HSBC, with a precise account number, for where they think the money is - or a certain fat Swedish guy gets out of jail, and go get them....if a certain American dude, knowing for wrecking Ferrari's in California, hasn't already cashed them out all ready .....)

Edited by KhunMoo

The Hackers using a old Nokia mobile with modifyed firmware to simple clone your sim card to get the tan number! At the same time you get!

Maybe Internet caffes affected by a dns changer!

The fact is I believe that Thai banks not refound you any money when criminals take controll of your account!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Do you have a solid link to that, like a tech forum? Where someone have done it? Or is it just from some stupid journalist... rolleyes.gif

For me it's quite interesting, technically - i't means that someone very very very close to me fuc_ked up big time, when writing/approving the .asm code(Firmware) and tech-designing the way, they obviously do NOT, complies with the GSM standard, on those Nokia phones.

What model are we talking about? 33xx or further back? ermm.gif

I use Kasikorn, again as like other posters no problems whatsoever, they too use the OTP and I have SMS alerts.

How can you enable OTP with KBank?

I can do all transactions including bill payment, without OTP, just need to be logged in.

I have been using Bangkok Bank's internet banking service for years without any problems. Other than sometimes very very slow response from their web site.

However, I would never, ever, use WiFi. I won't even do email over WiFi. Yeah, ok, maybe I am a little paranoid here, but I take the view of 'better safe than sorry'.

All my email and internet banking is done over a wired ethernet connection.

And if you are thinking of using your smartphone!!!! All I can say is good luck. Remember... Better safe than sorry.

I use Kasikorn, again as like other posters no problems whatsoever, they too use the OTP and I have SMS alerts.

I can do all transactions including bill payment, without OTP, just need to be logged in.

With KBank you either:

- transfer money or pay a bill with an OTP

- transfer money or pay a bill with a 2nd password

- pay a bill without using an OTP or 2nd password.

In the menu on the leftside of your screen (after logging in) you will find an option to change the security. Maybe you have to take care of this at your KBank branche (that was a few years ago).

I don't think you understand - what I mean is, here in Thailand when paying for e.g. let's say a dinner, with a credit card(In most cases for a Farang, it will be a Debit card).

You will be presented with the bill, in a booklet - you place the credit card in the booklet and hand it back. She/he will then disappear, to where they have their terminal/card-reader. If your "Credit Card" do not have a Chip, but just the magnetic stripe, it is VERY EASY, CHEAP AND FAST. To copy that information the card contains, and copy that information over to a "clean" card. The waitress then return to your table, and you sign the credit card printout, from terminal with the signature "A.Hitler"(e.g. no one here gives a dam_n about what that signature looks like) - she smiles and return the signed slip to the cash register, and your account will then be charged.

Then the theif, that is in possession of the information, that was on your magnetic strip, can copy it on to, the blank card(takes about 15sec) He can then sit down at the table next to you - order dinner, and yes pay, with the copy of "your card" - he will be presented with the same slip you had, he will sign it with "Santa Claus" and your account will be debited....

Get it now? The cards with no chip has very little safety, when you don't use them ONLY in ATM's.

Regarding HSBC - yes my money is safe from the IRS, from the country i originate from. They money is held in "HSBC Land", witch is not Hong Kong, nor is it mainland China - and as long i don't play with terrorists, or piss off the Americans in general - my money stays there.

A good example is: The "rest" of the money from the biggest scam in Danish history (about 10.000.000.000 baht, is still in HSBC Hong Kong, as far as i remember 1,2 billion baht is still not accounted for. And yes they will stay in "HSBC Land" until Danish authorities can provide HSBC, with a precise account number, for where they think the money is - or a certain fat Swedish guy gets out of jail, and go get them....if a certain American dude, knowing for wrecking Ferrari's in California, hasn't already cashed them out all ready .....)

I understand but I dont think it can be done with a simple visa electron atm card is that the same as a debit card?

Even if it got duplicated an atm card would still require a password to function.

I never use debit cards for shopping so I would not know about it.

No problems with Kasikornbank since I opened internet banking with them in 2001 when their site went English.

Only comment I can make is, I use the 2nd password option rather than the texted pin for transfer transactions. That does not work when I'm overseas as I do not use my Thai sim card in global roaming mode.

EDIT: BTW the 2nd password option has very limited functionality, I cannot ad a new payee without going through a long winded process. Obvious security measure which I accept.

Edited by bdenner

I understand but I dont think it can be done with a simple visa electron atm card is that the same as a debit card?

Even if it got duplicated an atm card would still require a password to function.

I never use debit cards for shopping so I would not know about it.

Yes, the Visa Electron card, here in Thailand, just has an magnetic stripe, and can be copied very easy if you hand it to someone, for payment - and yes its a debit card. In ATM's yes, the thief needs the password. ALL other places, restaurants, shops, etc. NO the thief just need to sign the slip.

If you only use you card at ATM's - and pay everything in cash, you will never get in problems - but i find that unhandy, therefore i have a real credit card from a Thai bank, even though i don't like credit cards.

The Thai Debit cards, you can also safely use where you stand next to the cashier, when it is swiped - e.g. Tesco/Big C/ etc.

Btw...getting a "real" credit card from the Thai banks, is a hassle - they WILL require a ton of paperwork. Even though you account is loaded with cash...I did go through the process, but next time i won't.

To be honest i find the double account solution more convenient, have one savings account, with your primary assets (and no debit card attached). And a secondary one with 100k or what ever your need is, with a debit card attached.

Therefore you can never get fuc_ked for more than 100k ( minus what you might all ready used your self). And then your can "reload" your debit card account from the web bank for free....(Accounts has to be inked though, that doesn't happen automatically - you have to print out page one, of the bank book and sign it with " for adding to WEB BANKING" and hand it in physically, witch makes no sense, at all - but TIT.)

Hmm...i never had a option, not to get the OTP? I happened automatically, the SMS alerts you sign up for at the ATM though, i think they a 40 baht a month. But a nice safety, i think.

Especially if one knows how easy it is, to re-bill the last swiped credit card or add tips, etc. on those terminals in restaurants etc.

>>I never used online banking before in Thailand but I want to do it now for the convenience but how safe is it?

No one here has any idea how safe internet banking is. In order to answer that question you would have to have a team of IT security auditors who have access to the bank's systems and personnel to perform a security audit. People can report that they have not themselves been looted of their online assets, but that's not saying much since we already know such events are rare. The fact that they are rare in itself does not mean that we can necessarly ignore the risks because the consequences might be severe. For example, car accidents are fairly rare also. But if someone reports that he has been driving for years without using a seatbelt and has never suffered an accident, we don't learn much about the frequency of accidents because we know they are not common anyway.

The Hackers using a old Nokia mobile with modifyed firmware to simple clone your sim card to get the tan number! At the same time you get!

Maybe Internet caffes affected by a dns changer!

The fact is I believe that Thai banks not refound you any money when criminals take controll of your account!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

They need to know your number.