"Filter" On Gay Couple On Thai Tv - Why?

MrMuddle

Hi, I was watching "Modern Family", on TV tonight, here in Thailand, which features a gay couple in the cast.

In their house, they have a large portrait of themselves on the wall, but tonight it was filtered out (same as they do for drinking and smoking). Can anyone tell me why? I'm at a loss to think of any reason why it may be offensive, the only logical thing I could think of was that it may be filtered out for countries other than Thailand.

@ LeCharivari, It was on satellite, either channel 52 or 57.

@Jingthing, I've watched the show a few times, and this was the first time I'd seen the portrait filtered, as best I can recollect, the Gay couple were stood next to each other on the portrait, fully clothed, and possibly holding hands. As far as I'm aware this portrait is featured every time the section of the show is in their house, but I'd never seen anything that would be considered offensive in it.

I couldn't understand why it would be filtered, but it was in several scenes.

I'd seen the episode before, it's the one where the ginger* character wins a trophy, and his partner then gets out a trophy he has won, before they realise it's childish to compete over who has won things. I didn't notice any filters the first time around (possibly on a different channel), but it was really obvious this time.

* Ginger character, sorry I'm useless at remembering names in TV shows !

Ok, to save a "google" let's call them Chubby & Ginger. smile.png

I hadn't been awake long when I posted this morning, but I later recalled that Ginger had put his trophy on the mantelpiece, ( below the portrait), and had come back home to find that another trophy (Chubbys), had appeared next to his. I thought at first that the filter was applied because the second trophy looked phallic, but once the scene moved around, it was shown to be a leaping fish, though the portrait was still filtered out.

I assume the filter is applied for sensitivity purposes, but as my recollection of the actual picture is much the same as yours, I'm puzzled. An essential part of the show, is the relationship between the gay couple, and their adopted daughter, and how they intertwine with the rest of the family. If filters are applied to a picture, then why is the show on TV here at all? My line of thinking is that the filters are applied for countries other than Thailand, in this particular case, though Thai TV and some satellite channels do filter out drinking, smoking, nudity and sexual scenes.

I shall be watching future shows, to see what happens, plus my wife thinks the gay couples litle girl is adorable.

Ok, to save a "google" let's call them Chubby & Ginger. smile.png

I hadn't been awake long when I posted this morning, but I later recalled that Ginger had put his trophy on the mantelpiece, ( below the portrait), and had come back home to find that another trophy (Chubbys), had appeared next to his. I thought at first that the filter was applied because the second trophy looked phallic, but once the scene moved around, it was shown to be a leaping fish, though the portrait was still filtered out.

I assume the filter is applied for sensitivity purposes, but as my recollection of the actual picture is much the same as yours, I'm puzzled. An essential part of the show, is the relationship between the gay couple, and their adopted daughter, and how they intertwine with the rest of the family. If filters are applied to a picture, then why is the show on TV here at all? My line of thinking is that the filters are applied for countries other than Thailand, in this particular case, though Thai TV and some satellite channels do filter out drinking, smoking, nudity and sexual scenes.

I shall be watching future shows, to see what happens, plus my wife thinks the gay couples litle girl is adorable.

I've seen that episode on True satellite and nothing was filtered out. I think there may be a difference between things aired on True Series and Fox or Star since, I believe, the latter two are broadcast in Indonesia.

Edited by Suradit69

I believe the satellite TV providers do some self-censorship in order to not get in trouble with the Ministry. If the Ministry gets involved (and we saw that happen with the certain "artist" in a talent show recently), the broadcaster will be fined. Therefore, the different stations / satellite providers might have different interpretations, or can even apply their own stricter biases.

Therefore, I still suggest to contact the satellite provider who broadcast the censored version in protest. Since we see gay couple of Thai terrestrial TV, in appears to have been their own decision and not the law. As long as you only post here, nothing will happen.

I believe the satellite TV providers do some self-censorship in order to not get in trouble with the Ministry. If the Ministry gets involved (and we saw that happen with the certain "artist" in a talent show recently), the broadcaster will be fined. Therefore, the different stations / satellite providers might have different interpretations, or can even apply their own stricter biases.

Therefore, I still suggest to contact the satellite provider who broadcast the censored version in protest. Since we see gay couple of Thai terrestrial TV, in appears to have been their own decision and not the law. As long as you only post here, nothing will happen.

Well as I suggested above, it probably has nothing to do with Thailand. If the provider of the program filters something being shown also in Indonesia or the Middle East, True can't unfilter it. The show has aired on True Series recently with no filter. Comparing this to bare-breasted women is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by Suradit69

Well as I suggested above, it probably has nothing to do with Thailand. If the provider of the program filters something being shown also in Indonesia or the Middle East, True can't unfilter it. The show has aired on True Series recently with no filter. Comparing this to bare-breasted women is a bit of a stretch.

We agree on that. I still recommend to complain to the provider, to get them thinking. It is not OK to follow restrictive regulations of one country and apply it to another... it simply is not OK. They have to think of something. I'm not a techie, but why would I have to suffer and be discriminated against in Thailand, because there is some regulation in Indonesia which doesn't even apply over here?