Retiring To Thailand-My Introduction And Questions

Do it in Bkk or rather just outside Bkk like Nontaburi or Pathum Thani. Then you can take trips to CM or where ever. It is hard to beat Bkk when u add it all up.

Do it in Bkk or rather just outside Bkk like Nontaburi or Pathum Thani. Then you can take trips to CM or where ever. It is hard to beat Bkk when u add it all up.

I'm going to BKK as well once I set up home base. Thanks for the tip I'll check it out

That's a matter of preferences. I love Bangkok, but I have friends in Chiang Mai and Phuket who wouldn't want to live here.

Dear NomadicDave,

Sorry, I can't answer your question about importing a car. Is it left hand or right hand steering? But whether that makes any difference I don't know.

You could be lucky and get some answers on this thread, but maybe better to pose this question on one of the dedicated threads near the top of the ThaiVisa site.

On the other hand for someone with your spending power a new mid size Toyota or Honda is probably well inside budget. If second hand to start is attractive then you can probably pick up a roadworthy car perhaps 5 or 6 years old for around 200,000Baht, depending on size and resale value by brand name etc. (I'm no expert on this point, other members please confirm or give better information.)

Another transport possibility is to seek out a tuk tuk driver who's keen to do a monthly 'bulk rate'. They do exist, and if your lucky the cost could be quite reasonable. I know one expat who has a 2,000Baht a month deal with a TT driver and another who has a 5,000 a month deal. Both have different requirments of course.

Edited by scorecard

Thanks Cougar, tombkk, Tommo and others for your comments.

Complaining is too easy and I read some of it here on TV. It's okay because there is probably some truth to it, at least for them. I have rose colored glasses but whenever I put them on it just tells me there's something I'm finding uncomfortable about the present. While I'm not a cynic I tend to listen first, look for the similarities and discard what doesn't work for me. Thailand, specifically, Chiang Mai, might be my new home and a part of me would like to think I will flourish there. Time will tell and I plan on pushing my boundaries of understanding and open-mindedness. I really am ready.

If CM isn't the fit I would like long term well there are many places to explore. I do agree with a posters comment that says < esssentialy," we bring our own problems/prejudice with us" Yes and what better time to let them go than in a country than doesn't find usefulness in them either.

I like what you say about 'rose coloured glasses'.

I have (and I'm sure many others have) seen a couple of examples of westerners who have decided they are moving to utopia, and when the bubble bursts they become angry and bitter. Thailand is great but it's not utopia and utopia doesn't exist.

My guess is that your already very clear on this point.

Edited by scorecard

Dear NomadicDave,

Sorry, I can't answer your question about importing a car. Is it left hand or right hand steering? But whether that makes any difference I don't know.

You could be lucky and get some answers on this thread, but maybe better to pose this question on one of the dedicated threads near the top of the ThaiVisa site.

On the other hand for someone with your spending power a new mid size Toyota or Honda is probably well inside budget. If second hand to start is attractive then you can probably pick up a roadworthy car perhaps 5 or 6 years old for around 200,000Baht, depending on size and resale value by brand name etc. (I'm no expert on this point, other members please confirm or give better information.)

Another transport possibility is to seek out a tuk tuk driver who's keen to do a monthly 'bulk rate'. They do exist, and if your lucky the cost could be quite reasonable. I know one expat who has a 2,000Baht a month deal with a TT driver and another who has a 5,000 a month deal. Both have different requirments of course.

On Friday the 13th (usually my lucky day) I was involved in a pretty bad auto accident. My big BMW was totalled by a big ole Chevy SUV. So looks like I'll be shopping over there. I was told to prepare for sticker shock.

Hum, that monthly Tuk Tuk driver is sounding pretty good right now.

Thanks for the advice scorecard

Dear NomadicDave,

On Friday the 13th (usually my lucky day) I was involved in a pretty bad auto accident. My big BMW was totalled by a big ole Chevy SUV. So looks like I'll be shopping over there. I was told to prepare for sticker shock.

Hum, that monthly Tuk Tuk driver is sounding pretty good right now.

Thanks for the advice scorecard

Just curious, what do you mean by 'sticker shock', I'm not familiar with that expression?

Sticker shock refers to the cost of something; the price tag. The shock refers to it being expensive, or more expensive than someone thought it would be.

The "sticker" is the sheet of paper that is affixed to the window on new cars that lists all the equipment and extras for that particular vdehicle.

I checked out some prices for new autos in Thailand and it is basically double what I would pay for a similar vehicle in California..

Some thoughts about driving!

I have ridden a motorcycle in CM for the last several years. For the first year I did this unlicensed, meaning that my travel insurance didn't cover me. I have since gotten an Australian motorcycle licence, but last trip discovered I was still not covered - I need an international driving licence, as well. Of course, I could get a Thai licence, but I would need to be here on something other than a tourist visa to do so. And normally, people don't get a Thai licence the day they arrive - for that interim period, you still need to have a licence which is acceptable to your travel insurance. So I suggest you get an International Driver's Licence if you are intending to drive here. That will take you through the first three months. When you do get a Thai driver's licence, there's a bonus: the differential prices for farang in some places (eg, Doi Inthanon) disappears, and you get into some places at the Thai, rather than the farang, price.

I would characterise the Thai driving style as "I'm going to do something crazy, and whatever it is, you will allow me to do so because if you were in my shoes, you would do the same" (for example, doing a u-turn across multiple lanes of traffic when the lights turn green). In Thailand, I accept that the road is not my territory (unlike in the West) and other users will give me as much as I truly need, and no more. That means when I'm on a bike, I can expect a car coming in the opposite direction to start overtaking and I will need to move over to the left and get out of his way. In general, I am much more accommodating of other people's craziness on Thai roads than I am at home. I also accept that regardless of the logic of a situation, if I have an accident, it's likely to be viewed as my fault.

American friends have told me they also had to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road but I'm sure you're aware of that issue. Making that shift is easier for some than others and would happen eventually, but personally, I get severe headaches any time I drive on US roads. Nothing to do with the road system or the driving there, just the need to focus on something that is so familiar, yet so counter-intuitive.

I suggest you rent a car initially - in Chiang Mai, North Wheels are reliable, and their insurance is quite comprehensive. You could try the various Thai built cars they have available (I've mostly rented Honda Jazz). Something I learned from renting - many if not most Thai built cars have the safety features (eg, air bags) stripped out in the interests of a lower price. You might want to think about what specification you need to buy to get the safety features you would expect in a new car in the US. I'm assuming high end European cars would still have the safety features, but if that's your thing, you might still want to check. Personally, I would avoid buying a car at all, because it's an advertisement for wealth - and parking a car is a real hassle in most places.

Some thoughts about driving!

I have ridden a motorcycle in CM for the last several years. For the first year I did this unlicensed, meaning that my travel insurance didn't cover me. I have since gotten an Australian motorcycle licence, but last trip discovered I was still not covered - I need an international driving licence, as well. Of course, I could get a Thai licence, but I would need to be here on something other than a tourist visa to do so. And normally, people don't get a Thai licence the day they arrive - for that interim period, you still need to have a licence which is acceptable to your travel insurance. So I suggest you get an International Driver's Licence if you are intending to drive here. That will take you through the first three months. When you do get a Thai driver's licence, there's a bonus: the differential prices for farang in some places (eg, Doi Inthanon) disappears, and you get into some places at the Thai, rather than the farang, price.

I would characterise the Thai driving style as "I'm going to do something crazy, and whatever it is, you will allow me to do so because if you were in my shoes, you would do the same" (for example, doing a u-turn across multiple lanes of traffic when the lights turn green). In Thailand, I accept that the road is not my territory (unlike in the West) and other users will give me as much as I truly need, and no more. That means when I'm on a bike, I can expect a car coming in the opposite direction to start overtaking and I will need to move over to the left and get out of his way. In general, I am much more accommodating of other people's craziness on Thai roads than I am at home. I also accept that regardless of the logic of a situation, if I have an accident, it's likely to be viewed as my fault.

American friends have told me they also had to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road but I'm sure you're aware of that issue. Making that shift is easier for some than others and would happen eventually, but personally, I get severe headaches any time I drive on US roads. Nothing to do with the road system or the driving there, just the need to focus on something that is so familiar, yet so counter-intuitive.

I suggest you rent a car initially - in Chiang Mai, North Wheels are reliable, and their insurance is quite comprehensive. You could try the various Thai built cars they have available (I've mostly rented Honda Jazz). Something I learned from renting - many if not most Thai built cars have the safety features (eg, air bags) stripped out in the interests of a lower price. You might want to think about what specification you need to buy to get the safety features you would expect in a new car in the US. I'm assuming high end European cars would still have the safety features, but if that's your thing, you might still want to check. Personally, I would avoid buying a car at all, because it's an advertisement for wealth - and parking a car is a real hassle in most places.

An International Driving Permit (not International Driver's Licence) is an add-on to your home country licence in effect. You can use it for up to 12 months in Thailand (not 3).

I gave up driving a motorcycle because it was just too dangerous - and that was in the relatively quiet town of Ayutthaya. There are far too many crazy and/or drunk and/or incompetent car drivers for a motorcycle to be a safe option. Also, road surfaces in places can be very bad.

You don't need a high end European car to get safety features. My Vios has disk brakes on all four wheels and air bags on passenger and driver sides, which is enough for me.

I lived in New York City for a few years and initially had two automobiles. After a few months of ridiculously exhorbitant storage expenses I sold both and decided to rent a car whenever I needed to get out of the City. The adjustment was easier than I thought and the savings were a nice bonus.

I'm thinking that the first few months (6 or so) I'll stay at serviced apartments, hopefully with a Concierge who can arrange for transportation. Do you guys have any suggestions? I read somewhere that the M & S apartments are nice.

Thanks very much for the continuing suggestions and advice-I truly appreciate them.

Dave

I have no problem with your posting here at all, but I think you'll find that you'll get at least as much if not more detailed information in the Motor Forum and the Chiang Mai Forums where most of your questions have been covered at considerable length already - I don't think being gay will be held against you!

I lived in New York City for a few years and initially had two automobiles. After a few months of ridiculously exhorbitant storage expenses I sold both and decided to rent a car whenever I needed to get out of the City. The adjustment was easier than I thought and the savings were a nice bonus.

I'm thinking that the first few months (6 or so) I'll stay at serviced apartments, hopefully with a Concierge who can arrange for transportation. Do you guys have any suggestions? I read somewhere that the M & S apartments are nice.

Thanks very much for the continuing suggestions and advice-I truly appreciate them.

Dave

In NYC you don't need a car because of the public transport system. In BKK you don't need a car because taxis are dirt cheap.

I lived in a serviced apartment for the first 12 months and hated it: Anonymous maids rearranging the desk to the building standard every day, etc. But it's a matter of taste. I wouldn't rent a serviced apartment just for concierge services, far too expensive IMHO.

I have no problem with your posting here at all, but I think you'll find that you'll get at least as much if not more detailed information in the Motor Forum and the Chiang Mai Forums where most of your questions have been covered at considerable length already - I don't think being gay will be held against you!

Thank You and will do. Must say though everyone here has been quite welcoming and very informative.

Regards,

Dave

Have you ever been to Thailand? If not why are you considering spending the rest of your life there?

I've been to Thailand probably 10-12 times beginning in the '70's. I've spent a cumulative of 3-4 months and only in the southern part of the country. I have always enjoyed my stays immensley and felt more comfortable there than in the other countries I have visited either on business or holiday.

While I'm not Budhist I have leanings towards it and definately like the idea of living in a country where it plays a big part of everyday life.

Hi Nomad; I think it's great you show interest in Thailand. As for the Buddhist area though, Thai Buddhism is very unique amongst other branches - there are many influences that come from the outside as well. Either way it should be a great new experience for you! I wish ya the best.

Thailand and Chiang Mai are wonderful and very open minded.

BKK is too busy and too dirty for me. Pattaya and Phuket too exspensive and too many Ding dong falong for me.

Chiang mai was a good balance. Enough, shopping, art, culture, activities, etc for me. And for those times I need to get away, there is no where you can not get in Thailand from Chiang Mai in 1 day or less.

There are enough flights to get to about anywhere, maybe you need a connection in KL, Singapore, Taiwan, Bangkok or else where, but there are daily flights and CM Airport just doesn't have the problems of the big BKK airport. a few minutes drive to get there, easy check in, walk on to your plane in minutes. No stress

If you've driven in southern Cal, you wont have a problem here in Chiang Mai. Less traffice than I had in Victorville. Parking is the issue. I do have a car, a truck, and a few motorbikes. My daily driver is the Motorbike that is easy to ride and easy to park. On the road, sidewalk, anywhere you want. I would suggest walking, bus, and taxi the first week here, and once you see a few things move on to an auto scooter. Have a number of someone you can call for a ride to and from about anywhere in CM for about 100 Bt. And auto scooter will cost even less per day. Can rent a new car for about 15,000 a month, also have numbers for that if you wish. Delivered to your door, top shape and first class insurance. New cars start at just over $12,000 USD

Yes, March and early April the air is bad, very bad. if you can, that is a good time to go explore, get out, maybe go to the beach, mountains, or somewhere else for holiday, but again, like a bad day in L.A.

I would suggest get here, and spend a week in the heart of the city, they try North, south, west, east. I like the quieter South side. Little traffic near me but 5 minutes to the airport and shopping and 10 minutes to the heart of town. I own my home, but do suggest, until your sure, rent a while. Plenty of homes, Condos, and apartment for rent at very low prices.

There are 3 in my household. I don't drink or do the bar thing, but we live on a base of about $600 a month. in a middle class neighborhood. cable, internet, A/C when needed, car, truck,, motorbike insurance, food, eating out atleast once a day, etc. I don't pay rent I own outright. Some months when I make more, say $1000 Bt, I feel rich, travel, massage, movies and more, So if your smart, money won't be an issue for you. Many say they could never live on that, and some will say less, I just live at a better level than I did in America, for much less and I am much more happy here

It's always nice to have a friend in some place new, I am about your age and would be happy to help as well as answer any questions you have. Please feel free to PM me now or any time.

My Partner and I have both visited Chiang Mai and are thinking of moving there because it at least has seasons rather than just "hot" and "hot and wet", but before doing so we will go for a couple of visits - something I would have expected anyone else to do before moving, particularly from another country, rather than relying on information from those I don't know and have never met. Somebody else's idea of a "nice house" may be my view of a shed (and vice-versa).

There are a few points about Thailand in general which spring to mind among the general euphoria.

Thailand is no longer the cheap place to live that it was three or four decades ago (or even two decades ago when I moved here) for farangs or Thais, and I don't mean because of the exchange rate (which is better now than it was 20 years ago). Prices have gone up consistently here at a much higher rate than salaries and in comparison to places like Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia, where the people are also very pleasant, it is very expensive - something anyone who doesn't know the prices here for themselves and who wants to travel and socialise a lot should bear in mind. Your car, for example, and the petrol to run it, will cost you roughly twice as much here as in the US.

Prices across Thailand hardly vary, except for property in Bangkok and in "prime" locations such as on the beach. The reason some people think they do is because they are not comparing like with like and when something simply isn't available locally they either get by without it or replace it with something cheaper. Some things are cheaper as they are produced locally (strawberries in Chiang Mai, for example), but these are balanced out by other things which are not and by those set but considerable necessities of life (for most of us) such as medical and car insurance and occasional major purchases such as cars, bikes or TVs.

Everybody's living expenses vary, depending not only on their expectations (and, obviously, their budgets!) but also on what they are prepared to do without, which others would see as "the basics" - things like adequate medical insurance, 1st class car insurance, a new or decent car occasionally, a decent house, maybe a dog, etc. I know people who spend 100,000 baht a month just on food but who mainly shop at Makro and consider a bowl of spag bol a good dinner at home, while others get by perfectly happily on 25,000 baht a month for all their expenses including "eating out". I wouldn't advise anyone moving here to think that they could live on the latter long-term unless they have quite a sizeable next-egg squirreled away to cover their possible medical expenses or what a major car accident could cost them (medical and 1st class car insurance would cost about one month's total budget, each) or they are happy to gamble that "it won't happen to me" and they have a very comprehensive living will and limited life expectancy.

My in-laws, as a married couple working as semi-skilled factory staff, take home more than US$600 a month between them - a LOT more if you include allowances, bonuses, meals and medical cover. Under no circumstances could their life style be considered "middle-class" by Thais or farangs (or by them).

Its a good idea to do your homework here and to read guides, etc, but I can't understand why anyone would even consider moving anywhere without seeing things for themselves.

You gentlemen have really helped me form a good plan, or approach to my upcoming trip. I think some of the best advice has been to stay for a year before commiting with any perminance.

Also, some of the reasons I think I'll be okay is that I genuinely like people, have a positive history with the culture, am open minded. The climate adjustment might pose a hurdle (the weather in S. California is great) and I was wondering how long did it take you to adjust to the heat and humidity?

Several of you have reached out to me personally which is truly gratifying and I look forward to meeting you shortly.

That's my approach for today. I'm headed your way the end of the month.

Kind Regards,

Dave