How About A Wine Club

I have started a wine club.

I like wine and don't like not being able to get a reasonable selection at a good price. As I import things as part of my business, I thought why not start a non-profit wine club just for those individuals who, like me, are interested in the wine not just the effect. This is completely separate from my commercial interests and I make nothing from it.

I will be ordering a container from South Africa, (12,000 bottles) at the end of this month and have set aside half of it for the wine club. There is no cost for membership and the wine is sold at what I have to pay out to get it here and delivered to your door. The first delivery will be in August, which you have to book before I place the order, with a 50% deposit. The idea is to take the minimum one case each month whenever possible.

I have selected a vineyard in the western cape for the first order, their wines have won many prizes and they have a reasonable range of high quality varieties. Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Late Harvest, Merlot, Pinotage, Rose, and Sauvignon Blanc. You can make your own selection or keep the standard of one bottle of each plus three extra at random. The minimum order is one case, ie twelve bottles.

The cost to you will be 400 baht per bottle, that is 4,800 baht per case of twelve bottles, remember this is the cost price, I sell it for much more when I import it commercially. If your interested the costs per bottle are: average price at vineyard $3, shipping $1.50, import taxes $5 (!!!), warehousing and picking $1, delivery to your door $1.50, total $12. This equates to about 380 baht, if it comes out to that then that is what I will charge but I am quoting 400 baht to play safe, it will not be more.

Friends and neighbours have taken up nearly 3,000 bottles already, so if you want shout soon.

Next month I will look at placing an order for Italian wine, but I can get from many countries depending on what people want. I don't want to drive this to my tastes, I want people to say what they want and I will source it.

Comments, requests for information, discussion, helpful tips, humour, are all welcome.

Bottoms up, Raymond

• Like 1

I may be interested, although I do not yet permanently live in Thailand: I still work in SIngapore but call Thailand home. Let's see if we can work out something. One case a month sounds about OK but I can never get through that during the 2 weekends a month I am there (Takhli, Nakhon Sawan).