Pm Groups On Thaivisa......Are You In One?

theblether

PM Groups on Thaivisa......are you in one?

I get quite a lot of pm's going back and forth, the vast majority are informative and enjoyable. Now and again there will be a dodgy pm from some member that has taken umbrage at something that I've said, but I prefer that to happen rather than get into a slanging match on the forums.

I've noticed that a lot of members don't know that there is a group facility for the pm's. It's easily created, when you pm someone just add more members to the group.

It's a very social part of Thaivisa, and adds a lot to the enjoyment of the site. One particular group I'm in is highly entertaining, with members stretching from Scotland to Australia. One great benefit of the group is that members direct each other to interesting topics and posts, as well as doing the kind of stuff that you would expect on any social media forum, such as sharing youtube clips, stupid jokes, etc. In effect it's a type of Facebook within Thaivisa, without the nonsense that fb can bring.

I would imagine that people in for example, the farming forum would get a lot out of being in a group, are you a member of a group? Did you know the facility existed?

George stated recently on a thread that pm's are private.

If you ever get an abusive pm you can either report in to the moderators or invite a moderator into the conversation so they can read it.

Once a pm thread has been opened, you can delete your involvement from your side if you wish, but the conversation will be viewable for anyone else that was invited, until they also delete it.

As nomadjoe pointed out the pm's are not moderated, which is handy when you are letting off steam, they are also handy when members are unsure of rules / subjects/ topics etc It's better to run things past people you get on well with rather than make a mistake on the forums. In effect, the threads can be self moderating to the benefit of the whole site in that regard.

However the greatest benefit is that you can get into subjects which are irrelevant to the open forums. As I pointed out earlier, it makes Thaivisa a genuine social media tool.

This is not a troll but a serious question........not to be taken too seriously mindwhistling.gif Why would anyone want to PM a person they have never met? Obviously there will always be specific reasons but a PM group sounds very strange indeed to me

This is not a troll but a serious question........not to be taken too seriously mindwhistling.gif Why would anyone want to PM a person they have never met? Obviously there will always be specific reasons but a PM group sounds very strange indeed to me

Its just like those conference calls you have with your divisional managers across Asia carmine...you know....the ones where you <deleted> them for not reaching targets etc....

Also as for PM's and their status.....I was advised....after receiving a rather nasty one from a rather nasty member a couple months ago....and then was deleted from the message account...not by me....that the sender can delete it and then it is also deleted from whoever's account it was sent to...opened or not.

Not correct. Read this part of TheBlether's post which is correct as I ran tests verifying it some time ago when the question was brought up.

"Once a pm thread has been opened, you can delete your involvement from your side if you wish, but the conversation will be viewable for anyone else that was invited, until they also delete it."

Think of it as an INBOX and OUTBOX similar to e-mail. Your OUTBOX contains your sent e-mail and the receiver's INBOX has the received message. The sender clearing his OUTBOX has no effect on the receiver's INBOX.

'Tywais' said..

Not correct. Read this part of TheBlether's post which is correct as I ran tests verifying it some time ago when the question was brought up.

"Once a pm thread has been opened, you can delete your involvement from your side if you wish, but the conversation will be viewable for anyone else that was invited, until they also delete it."

Think of it as an INBOX and OUTBOX similar to e-mail. Your OUTBOX contains your sent e-mail and the receiver's INBOX has the received message. The sender clearing his OUTBOX has no effect on the receiver's INBOX.

Samsiam said

Perhaps you should tell SBK and George then....

'samsiam' said...

Posted 2012-04-21 20:55:23

I received a rather sweet PM today from someone...he tried his best to whisper sweet nothings to my ear....but I resisted his advance.

Now, it is missing from my PM box.....how can that be ??

My reply to it also gone

'samsiam' said...

Thing is....if I did not report it....how could it be deleted ??

I guess the 'private' in PM is less so......kinda like 'zero' in Thai language.

We don't have access to your PM's. the sender may have deleted it.

So if I send a PM to someone....he receives it....I can still delete that sent PM and it is also deleted from his inbox ??....is that how it works ??

Shame really....I wanted to save it for later.

So if I send a PM to someone....he receives it....I can still delete that sent PM and it is also deleted from his inbox ??....is that how it works ??

Shame really....I wanted to save it for later.

Yes, it works like this.

Perhaps you should tell SBK and George then....

They are aware of how it works now after I did my investigation and reported my findings. So, the way it works is as I quoted previously running the test several times and bidirectionally.

Actually, I believe you are the reason based on your comment above that I ran the tests.

So how did that PM get deleted from my account ??

I never delete PM's....I dun get that many....so it was not me and it was a classic PM...one to save for nostalgia and revenge.

It must be either a described by George.....or certain people have access to PM's then.

Edited by samsiam

I never delete PM's....I dun get that many....so it was not me and it was a classic PM...one to save for nostalgia and revenge.

It must be either a described by George.....or certain people have access to PM's then.

When the PM shows as deleted it has been done by the other party. You can still view it but not reply.

When you delete it then it disappears completely.

I hope that helps.

i am unclear as to why i would want to increase my involvement in the forum to he extent of joining a clique.

This forum is neither my social life, nor is it a panacea for an absence from thailand.

between this and he ignore members thread i would suggest some of you just log off and experience the world

Next will be thaivisa pm chain-mail.

"Pass this pm onto 10 members and you will recieve a lucky rainbow, a genetic disease, a cash windfall, a second head...."

• Like 2

When the PM shows as deleted it has been done by the other party. You can still view it but not reply.

I hope that helps.

No, not help.

The PM was sent to me, I opened it and then at some point within the next hour or 2....it was missing...gone...kaput........I did not delete it.....and if you read Georges response to me above about it....me thinks some secret mods business going on in here.

I'd never want to belong to any PM group that would have someone like me in the group.coffee1.gif

No worries then.

i am unclear as to why i would want to increase my involvement in the forum to he extent of joining a clique.

This forum is neither my social life, nor is it a panacea for an absence from thailand.

between this and he ignore members thread i would suggest some of you just log off and experience the world

Nocturn, I know you've got Selective Troll Disorder, you've already admitted to that.

I started the topic to highlight an excellent facility built in to the website which is unknown to many members. Some members on here actually use the website in the spirit intended.

You should try that some day. coffee1.gif

I hope that helps.

No, not help.

The PM was sent to me, I opened it and then at some point within the next hour or 2....it was missing...gone...kaput........I did not delete it.....and if you read Georges response to me above about it....me thinks some secret mods business going on in here.

I'd never want to belong to any PM group that would have someone like me in the group.coffee1.gif

No worries then.

That is indeed very strange.

JT ... I never knew you were a Woody Allen fan.

Fan schman. I'm a worshiper.

Thought it was Groucho Marx.

Pointy member ... not saying it wasn't ... I remember it from Annie Hall.

JT ... I never knew you were a Woody Allen fan.

Fan schman. I'm a worshiper.

Thought it was Groucho Marx.

Could be. Allen openly steals from Marx and others.

This is an excellent topic suggestion..

I can think of a coupe topics that wouldn't last long on the open forum as they'd be derailed or closed or both.

Shared interests.

We need to up the number of people who can join in a PM discussion.

How am I expected to choose nine people from my many TV pals to join me for Birthday cake and fizzy ginger beer?

I'm having sleepless nights....:blink:

Edited by smokie36

This is an excellent topic suggestion..

I can think of a coupe topics that wouldn't last long on the open forum as they'd be derailed or closed or both.

Shared interests.

+1 Winnie

There is nothing nefarious in the suggestion, it could be something as simple as people in the Buddhist forming having a chat to each other about all aspects of their life in Thailand, farmers sharing stories etc etc

It greatly increases the social aspect of using Thaivisa without filling the forums full of off topic stuff.