Bilingual School For Toddlers

hi guys, i have a couple of questions regarding this type of schools. been doing some research but will definitely like to hear from parents with children there. Obviously international schools are better but i cant afford them hence am exploring this option.

how difficult is it for toddlers to integrate into a bilingual school given that their ability in spoken thai is semi fluent but zero in reading in writing?

is the english program taught that "bad"

what is your opinion of a trilingual school, is it too much to learn 3 languages including mandarin? i am ethnic chinese so naturally want my children to learn it as well but am just wondering to what fluency can the school support them in this aspect.

i have shortlisted a few schools from this forum and friends and am hoping for more recommendations and some opinions. thank you

www.thaichristian.ac.th

www.kwongsiew.com

www.bbs.ac.th

www.lbs.ac.th

www.daroonpat.ac

.th

• 3 weeks later...

By toddlers, what age group do you mean?

If below say age 5, where they haven't actually started "other subjects" than languages and maths, then probably no big deal. If they are trying to learn specific subjects and do not understand the language of instruction then that's an issue.

There were kids who go to our kids international school where English is the main language of instruction and they don't speak any real English on arriving. We're talking ages 2/3/4 here though, and they soon start to improve. The main disadvantage I noticed was in kids taking books home to read at age about 5 onwards, particularly if the parents also don't speak the language of instruction. Their progress was slower, and they risk falling behind in a curriculum without additional support.

As for learning number of languages, 3 is fine. Bear in mind they may start talking/ responding a little latter, but their brain is still processing away the data. They are processing the same amount of data in their brains as any other kid, just split into other languages. The linguistics I have read and studied actually suggests a capacity to absorb up to 7 languages in kids.

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile